PDA

View Full Version : Web hosting company ordered to turn over information on anti-Trump website

michiganFats
08-25-2017, 11:13 AM
A legal storm is building after a D.C. judge ordered a web hosting company to give the government a broad swath of data about individuals connected to an anti-Trump website despite arguments that doing so would impinge on their First Amendment rights and stifle online political discourse.
At a hearing Thursday morning in D.C. Superior Court, Chief Judge Robert E. Morin insisted he would put restrictions on how the government reviews the material in order to protect those rights. The government must disclose to the court who will search the material and what process they will use. They must also develop a plan to minimize the search of material unrelated to criminal activity.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/24/trump-inauguration-protest-dreamhost-court-241973

I'm not sure what to make of this, I'm not a computer networking expert, but it looks like the DoJ is asking for information on everyone who has been to that site and not specific people.

Gunny
08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
http://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/24/trump-inauguration-protest-dreamhost-court-241973

I'm not sure what to make of this, I'm not a computer networking expert, but it looks like the DoJ is asking for information on everyone who has been to that site and not specific people.I think the message is clear ... talk bad about certain people and the government believes it has the right to intrude. It doesn't stifle free speech per se, but it sure lets you know Big Brother is watching and thinks he has a right to.

michiganFats
08-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I think the message is clear ... talk bad about certain people and the government believes it has the right to intrude. It doesn't stifle free speech per se, but it sure lets you know Big Brother is watching and thinks he has a right to.

I think you're right, that's what it looks like. I was hoping there might be some networking reason for why the request has to be so broad but it does appear this site is being targeted only because it's a large anti-Trump site.

Gunny
08-25-2017, 11:34 AM
I think you're right, that's what it looks like. I was hoping there might be some networking reason for why the request has to be so broad but it does appear this site is being targeted only because it's a large anti-Trump site.Without knowing the specifics of "why", it's hard to say. If they are being targeted solely for that reason, I consider it overreach by the judiciary.

There are however certain things you cannot say by law, 1st Amendment or not. Judging by some of the speech I have heard lefties us since Trump was elected, that may come into play.

Kathianne
08-25-2017, 12:35 PM
First 'anti-Trump,' other reasons follow, especially if the left wins down the road. "IF?"

aboutime
08-25-2017, 07:37 PM
I can't understand how they can bother with that kind of stuff, while they look the other way when a Female Senator....HOPES SOMEBODY SHOOTS TRUMP????

Misdirected everything these days. What about Obama, Hillary, Holder, Wasserman Schultz, Waters, Al Sharpton, Nancy Pelosi, Elizebeth Warren, Bernie Sanders' wife, James Comey...and on, and on, and on????

High_Plains_Drifter
08-25-2017, 10:56 PM
My bet is they're getting sick of these paid protesters that are getting to be pain in the ass, including this tearing down historic American monuments. People are getting sick of, and the word is it's George Soros funding this whole show. If they can prove it, they can put an end to it, and possibly even charge Soros with Sedition. Frankly I think the vile old Nazi rat fuck ought to be strung up by his testicles.