PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Harvey Narrative Already Set: Trump Failed

jimnyc
08-26-2017, 10:09 AM
What else is new? That's been the objective from day one - ignore everything and anything, and condemn Trump and attack at all costs. If ANYTHING is remotely wrong with this hurricane, they are already starting to wind up the blame machine.

---

Hurricane Harvey Narrative Already Set: Trump Failed

The next 48 hours will be a tough one for the state of Texas. Hurricane Harvey will make landfall at about 1:00 AM on Saturday, bringing with it winds in excess of 125 MPH, a storm surge of 12 feet with waves 20 feet higher than that, and massive rains that will cause deadly floods.

And it will be all Trump's fault.

The press has already got its lede for tomorrow: "Administration vacancies in key offices killed people."

CNN: (http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/25/politics/donald-trump-hurricane-harvey-natural-disaster-response-test/index.html)

The Trump administration has been preparing for months for what is forecast to be an especially active hurricane season, but Harvey is also gusting toward the US amid questions about vacancies in key administration posts -- including the helm of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The Department of Homeland Security, which oversees the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the US Coast Guard, also is without a permanent leader after Trump's decision to pluck retired Gen. John Kelly from his post atop DHS to become his White House chief of staff. Kelly's deputy, Elaine Duke, has since taken the helm as acting secretary.

The White House on Thursday expressed confidence in Duke's abilities to manage the response and noted that Kelly will also be at Trump's side as Harvey makes landfall.

"There's certainly someone at the helm," White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, pointing to Duke. "And again, I think that we are in great shape having General Kelly sitting next to the President throughout this process, and probably no better chief of staff for the president during the hurricane season."

"The President has been briefed and will continue to be updated as the storm progresses, and certainly something he's very aware of and will keep a very watchful eye on, and stands ready to provide resources if needed," Sanders said.

DHS press secretary David Lapan pointed out Friday on Twitter that Duke is a "DHS veteran w/ extensive experience in previous assignments," and said FEMA administrator Brock Long is "leading experienced career staff" at FEMA.

Duke is not the only interim official leading a critical component of the federal government's natural disaster response and monitoring efforts.

Trump's pick for FEMA administrator was confirmed in June, but officials at NOAA are still waiting for Trump to nominate someone to lead the key weather monitoring agency. The post remains vacant -- and without a Trump nominee -- alongside dozens of other deputy, under and assistant secretary positions in the Trump administration that require Senate confirmation.

Rest here - https://pjmedia.com/trending/2017/08/25/hurricane-harvey-narrative-already-set-trump-failed/

Abbey Marie
08-26-2017, 10:23 AM
Well, they tried to nail George Bush for Katrina and to my knowledge he had no high level vacancies. We need to ignore them.

jimnyc
08-26-2017, 10:47 AM
Another idiot already getting the blame ready. And is it surprising that it's Sharpton? Or surprising that it was on MSNBC?

And sure, I can see exactly how twitter can change the outcome or assistance level of hurricane relief. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

He uses twitter as the entire world knows. Sharpton will declare him a failure and use the blame game NO MATTER WHAT Trump should tweet.
--

Sharpton: I Hope Trump’s Behavior ‘Doesn’t Get in the Way’ of Hurricane Harvey Response

On Friday’s broadcast of MSNBC’s “Deadline: White House,” Rev. Al Sharpton stated that he hopes President Trump’s behavior doesn’t get in the way of the government doing its job with Hurricane Harvey. Sharpton also hoped that Trump will show leadership and not act in an irresponsible manner.

Sharpton said that current political tension is higher than he’s ever seen and that this tension is “really being generated out of the Oval Office.”

He added, “I would hope that this president does not add fuel to the fire by start[ing] tweeting and doing other things irresponsibly. I disagreed with President Bush in terms of FEMA and all, but that was an institutional neglect, and we’re talking about levies and all. We’re talking about here a person’s kind of behavior that I hope doesn’t get in the way. And I hope government works. And I hope that President Trump shows the leadership we need at this point. This is not a time for people to be taking potshots at each other.”

http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/08/25/sharpton-i-hope-trumps-behavior-doesnt-get-in-the-way-of-hurricane-harvey-response/

High_Plains_Drifter
08-26-2017, 12:05 PM
Yep...

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?60092-SALON-Getting-A-Jump-on-Trashing-President-Trump&p=877336#post877336

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 03:44 AM
It seems that the governments have worked well together, in spite of the predictions. They have the supplies positioned as far forward as they could. The cities and states too responded as one would expect. The NWS and NOAA actually predicted the severity of the hurricane at landfall and that it would be lingering due to the two high pressures just north of the coast; one to the west and one to the east.

Tonight though it sure looks like Houston is taking a pounding with rain falling at the rate of 4-6 inches per hour! They can't evacuate anymore now because the water is overtaking vehicles, indeed one woman drowned when she got out of her car which had become overtaken by flood waters.

Hopefully there will be a breakup of the high pressure to the east, but right now the storm has paused right over Houston. As the mayor said in the last news conference, 'We warned this would be a 4-5 day event, this is day 1. All folks can do is remember at this point is that they are safer in their homes than trying to get away, in spite of how uncomfortable they are.'

I do understand that the idea of leaving one's home to just drive 'north' when they don't have the money for hotels, eating out, etc., can seem foolish. Indeed, considering the reputation of weather forecasting, to do so would seem beyond foolish. In hindsight though, I bet now there might be some changed minds. The schools are not going to be opened on Monday, neither are jobs. Camping out, relying on the generosity of the others and perhaps finding a Red Cross/Salvation Army may have been a better choice. Indeed I heard that the federal and state parks north had started waiving fees for those fleeing the storm-pretty hard to not applaud the governments for that.

It's been over a dozen years since the Gulf got hit with a hurricane, this time it looks like the government did all they could and so far can't seem to be the one to blame. While the storm grew from a blip to Cat 4 in about 36 hours, they gave a lot of warning that with the high pressures, it wasn't going to be a 'normal hurricane,' it would stall and become much more dangerous as a tropical storm or depression. It's playing out pretty much as warned about.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 05:42 AM
A few hours later, looks like things are continuing to disintegrate. It seems Houston has only 1 inch of topsoil, then it's clay. For this reason, they begin to flood with anything over an inch of rain. :(

From news reports, it seems that all roads in and out of Houston are closed or closing. Reports on Twitter have people begging for rescue, with sheriffs responding that they can't get there. Main highway is over 3' under water. Emergency vehicles are going as far as they can, but the water is just coming to fast and high. Even rescue vehicles are being overtaken.

Sheriff's office are warning people if they head for the attic, do not go without an ax, as they will not be able to break through to the roof without one. Many of those that died in Galveston in last flood, drowned in their attics.

michiganFats
08-27-2017, 05:54 AM
And then after the storm they'll need help with relocation and cleanup. It's going to take a long time for them to recover from this.

PostmodernProphet
08-27-2017, 05:58 AM
no deaths so far.......its Trump's fault........

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 06:04 AM
no deaths so far.......its Trump's fault........

Actually 2 confirmed, one from a fire; the other described above-a woman that drove her car into flood waters, then tried to walk away got caught and drowned.

Not known, how many in Rockport where the hurricane crossed.

Somehow I don't think the president can logically be blamed for any of these, though as we saw, won't stop some from trying.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 06:07 AM
Just heard that over 1k rescued overnight. Problem is that the conditions are deteriorating. Just heard that Houston is about 8' elevation, the 4th largest city in US. 8' is not very high, not with the kind of water we're seeing.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 06:19 AM
Wow! Just heard that overnight Houston received more rainfall than it normally gets in a year. :(

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 06:39 AM
How bad is it? The police in Houston are warning people not to take to their cars, 'Turn Around, Don't Drown' won't work if what's behind you now is worse than what you're facing.'

Houston is becoming impossible to get into or leave.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 07:05 AM
I know Gunny is far from the coast, but wonder how he is doing?

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Houston emergency management is saying that if water is entering the highest floor of home, get on the roof now!

I've been watching FOX reporters, in a matter of minutes on one highway what had been 'passable' by higher vehicles has now become full of nearly submerged vehicles. Flash flooding is no joke.

I'm wondering how long bridges and roadways will stay intact when submerged for this long? What about foundations in Houston? Are they built to deal with this type of flooding?

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 07:38 AM
Coast Guard now assisting in Houston:

http://abc13.com/weather/get-on-the-roof---emergency-officials-advise/2347003/

7:25 a.m.

U.S. Coast Guard is conducting urban search and rescue in the greater Houston area. Do not call for rescue if you are not in a life-threatening situation. Rescue teams are prioritizing rescues by urgency.

If you are in need of rescue, call 911 or the U.S. Coast Guard Houston Command Center at 281-464-4851

Currently there are five MH-65 Dolphin Helicopters conducting rescues in the greater Houston area.

jimnyc
08-27-2017, 09:29 AM
How bad is it? The police in Houston are warning people not to take to their cars, 'Turn Around, Don't Drown' won't work if what's behind you now is worse than what you're facing.'

Houston is becoming impossible to get into or leave.

I had read yesterday as well, that those who refused to leave were told to write their SS #'s on their arms for identification!! That alone would likely make me think about getting in my car! :laugh:

jimnyc
08-27-2017, 09:52 AM
Yup, as if this wasn't predicted. Even pointing out the good things on twitter made him wrong. Can't be having the president pointing out positive things and thanking folks!! Not crazy bad, but still, the folks out there helping and coordinating SHOULD be acknowledged and thanked!!

--

'Don't Be a Cheerleader': Media Criticizes Trump for Commending Relief Efforts in Texas?

Hurricane Harvey, a tropical storm, is the worst Texas has experienced for two decades. It has claimed two lives since it began hammering the Texas Coast and is expected to leave catastrophic flooding in its wake.

This natural disaster, though devastating, has again given us a chance to witness courage on display.

https://i.imgur.com/Whuurqo.png

President Trump has been encouraging the brave search and rescue teams working around the clock to save Texans who are at risk of being by the hurricane, offering his support via his Twitter page.

https://i.imgur.com/1Chiiec.png

He also noted how city, state and federal governments are "working great together!"

It was a encouraging message, yet that's not how some media pundits interpreted it. On CNN, Bloomberg correspondent Margaret Talev was dismayed that the president was "of course" using Twitter to respond to the unfolding disaster in Texas. "Don't be too much of a cheerleader," she warned.

However, just a few minutes later on CNN, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott joined Jake Tapper's "State of the Union" program, where he thanked the Trump administration for their help. FEMA Administrator Brock Long echoed Abbott, noting that the president has been "incredibly engaged" in the relief effort.

Some angry social media users were also not thrilled with Trump's tweets about the government working together to save Texans. How can he tweet such a thing, they wrote, when he has not been able to work together with the GOP to repeal Obamacare?

https://i.imgur.com/H06CwvX.png

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/08/27/pundits-are-seriously-criticizing-trump-for-his-hurricane-harvey-tweets-commending-rescue-teams-n2373590

jimnyc
08-27-2017, 10:00 AM
Actually 2 confirmed, one from a fire; the other described above-a woman that drove her car into flood waters, then tried to walk away got caught and drowned.

Somehow I don't think the president can logically be blamed for any of these, though as we saw, won't stop some from trying.

Up to 6 now :(

--

REPORT: ‘Harvey’s’ Death Toll Reaches 6 – Massive Flood Event Begins

HOUSTON, Texas — The storm known as “Harvey” claimed the lives of five people in the Houston area according to local news reports. This raised the total number killed from the Hurricane Harvey storm to six. A Texas woman became “Harvey’s” second victim after massive flood waters washed her away from her stalled car.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez Tweeted an unconfirmed report of the deaths of a woman and a child in a submerged vehicle on Interstate 10 at Lathrop.

The National Weather service reported an unconfirmed report of five deaths in the Houston area overnight, the Weather Channel stated. Officials carried out more than 1,000 water rescues across the Houston area.

Since its arrival on the Texas coast, now-Tropical Storm Harvey dropped more than 24 inches of rain in the Houston area and some of the surrounding counties.

The Clear Creek rain gage reported 24.12 inches of rain in the past 24 hours, according to Harris County Flood Warning System reports. Nearly 11 inches of that fell in a two-hour period around midnight. Weather stations all across Harris County reported rainfall totals of between 10 and 14 inches for the past 24 hours.

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/27/report-harveys-death-toll-reaches-6-massive-flood-event-begins/

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 10:30 AM
Up to 6 now :(

--

REPORT: ‘Harvey’s’ Death Toll Reaches 6 – Massive Flood Event Begins

HOUSTON, Texas — The storm known as “Harvey” claimed the lives of five people in the Houston area according to local news reports. This raised the total number killed from the Hurricane Harvey storm to six. A Texas woman became “Harvey’s” second victim after massive flood waters washed her away from her stalled car.

Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez Tweeted an unconfirmed report of the deaths of a woman and a child in a submerged vehicle on Interstate 10 at Lathrop.

The National Weather service reported an unconfirmed report of five deaths in the Houston area overnight, the Weather Channel stated. Officials carried out more than 1,000 water rescues across the Houston area.

Since its arrival on the Texas coast, now-Tropical Storm Harvey dropped more than 24 inches of rain in the Houston area and some of the surrounding counties.

The Clear Creek rain gage reported 24.12 inches of rain in the past 24 hours, according to Harris County Flood Warning System reports. Nearly 11 inches of that fell in a two-hour period around midnight. Weather stations all across Harris County reported rainfall totals of between 10 and 14 inches for the past 24 hours.

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2017/08/27/report-harveys-death-toll-reaches-6-massive-flood-event-begins/

:( I'm not going to be surprised that it's folks that decided to 'ride it out,' now finding that no electricity, running low on bread, milk, water is not great. Then they decide to try and evacuate with the flooding. I read there was a child in a car that was flooded. It's one thing for 'young, healthy, stupid adults to do,' it's a whole different thing though to bring children or the elderly with them.

I'm very concerned if the rains continue as called for, that buildings and roads are going to be collapsing. I hope I'm wrong, but remember houses slipping off foundations in one IL flood in '87. It was a big flood, but the rains stopped after 18 hours and the water had places to flow to once it stopped coming down.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 11:20 AM
I just saw a Lt. General (Ret) on Fox basically saying that Houston better quickly set up a version of the 'Cajun Navy' like was seen in LA last year. He's saying that there just are not enough Coast Guard, and first responders to get folks to safety and it's going to get worse overnight. They won't be able to do much in the dark, so they only have hours now.

jimnyc
08-27-2017, 11:30 AM
I just saw a Lt. General (Ret) on Fox basically saying that Houston better quickly set up a version of the 'Cajun Navy' like was seen in LA last year. He's saying that there just are not enough Coast Guard, and first responders to get folks to safety and it's going to get worse overnight. They won't be able to do much in the dark, so they only have hours now.

Yikes. I have to go down and watch the tube, or eventually get one for my room here for news events like this. :(

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 12:04 PM
Just hearing reports that some roads have collapsed. :(

michiganFats
08-27-2017, 12:27 PM
I just heard the storm is supposed to drop 50 inches of rain total. That would be roughly 55 feet of snow.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 12:29 PM
I just heard the storm is supposed to drop 50 inches of rain total. That would be roughly 55 feet of snow.

I think there's areas between Corpus Christie to Houston that may exceed the 50, if things don't change. Houston had more than 25 as of early morning and it's forecasted to get another 20-35 by late tomorrow. From what they're saying, may go through to Wednesday.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 12:34 PM
I just was looking at the radar on accuweather. Seems to me that the storm may be moving more to the east of Houston? I hope so, though LA could have a bad day or two.

PostmodernProphet
08-27-2017, 01:22 PM

that's Trump's fault too......

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 02:10 PM

that's Trump's fault too......

With all my fault finding with Trump, this wasn't one of them. Bad try though. :rolleyes:

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 04:32 PM
Yikes. I have to go down and watch the tube, or eventually get one for my room here for news events like this. :(

Lots of flat bottom boats now out, more on the way:

http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/news/article_d8ca926c-8b57-11e7-b442-3779a777c29b.html

Cajun Navy's on the way: South Louisiana springs into action to help Texas amid Harvey floods

BY ANDREA GALLO AND GRACE TOOHEY| agallo@theadvocate.com gtoohey@theadvocate.com
<time datetime="2017-08-27T13:45:00-05:00" class="asset-date text-muted" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-weight: bold; text-transform: uppercase;">AUG 27, 2017 - 1:45 PM</time>

Freda Montgomery's trip to Houston this week was supposed to be for the LSU football season opener against BYU. But when she saw the weather reports and the flooding that swamped Houston on Sunday, she changed the purpose of her trip from cheering for purple and gold to delivering emergency essentials and house mucking supplies.

She was not the only one thinking about Texas.

Around Baton Rouge, Lafayette and other parts of the state, members of the Cajun Navy sprung into action on Sunday. People who spent last August wading around Baton Rouge's floodwaters in boats packed them up Sunday and headed west to help rescue Texans caught in the floods.

Many remembered how the people of Texas helped during multiple disasters that have struck Louisiana, opening their doors to Hurricane Katrina and Rita victims in 2005 and sending donations to Baton Rouge flood victims last year.

After last year's devastating floods in Baton Rouge, Montgomery's Houston-based daughter and members of her church in Houston drove down with wheelbarrows, cleaning supplies, masks and other necessities to help gut houses in Baton Rouge.

They spent a week helping to gut houses in the Capital City, staying with Montgomery and her family in Baton Rouge. So Montgomery joined forces on Sunday with Broadmoor United Methodist to pull off a similar feat, organizing a drive to deliver supplies later this week to St. Luke's United Methodist in Houston.

"It's more of a reciprocal gift of love back to them for what they did for us last year, plus we know they need it," Montgomery said on Sunday. "How many times has Louisiana been in the crossfire and how many times have people from other places helped us?"

While Montgomery is planning for a trip to Houston, some were already on the way on Sunday.

Toney Wade, more than a dozen friends and five K-9s headed early Sunday morning into Texas to help out with search and rescue efforts.

Wade is the commander of an all-volunteer group of mostly former law enforcement officers and former firefighters called Cajun Coast Search and Rescue, based in Jeanerette. By mid-Sunday, they had been called to help in Dickinson, Texas with both boats and high water rescue vehicles.

Cajun Coast Search and Rescue helped with rescue efforts last August in Baton Rouge, and Wade said some of the lessons they learned then had helped to prepare them for their current work in Houston. They made sure to bring food, tents and other supplies with them that they did not have last year, he said.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 05:16 PM
CNN has had a reporter in one of the volunteer boats, they've been looking for people that need help. Just saw them rescue an obviously ill elderly man, two dogs, and it looked like his daughter.

Seems Houston did not give an evacuation notice, fearing what would happen on the roads with that many trying to get out. :(

Elessar
08-27-2017, 06:39 PM

The CG and Air force have to wait until winds subside enough to safely fly rotory wing aircraft.

And you bet your butt that both CG HQ and AF HQ have gone up the ladder to have the Pentgon send in the Marines, Navy, and Army as well.

Kathianne
08-27-2017, 06:47 PM
The CG and Air force have to wait until winds subside enough to safely fly rotory wing aircraft.

And you bet your butt that both CG HQ and AF HQ have gone up the ladder to have the Pentgon send in the Marines, Navy, and Army as well.

The Coast Guard was out all day in helicopters, they saved some folks in the Gulf from sinking ship and others on rooftops. They are doing an excellent job, as are all. It's just so massive.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 05:38 AM
Yesterday morning I thought the mayor of Houston might have 'a problem.' For reasons I can understand, he decided not to order a mandatory evacuation prior to Harvey's arrival. How do you safely tell over 4 million people to get 'out' when there's already so many getting out from further south? What about people with no transportation? What about traffic accidents? Those running out of gas? How many might be trapped in the open on highways? So they didn't order or even strongly urge evacuation of Houston. Those that stayed should seek shelter at home. Even overnight they were telling people to 'stay in place' unless the danger was immediate. If forced beyond the upper level, 'bring an ax' to cut through the roof.

A few hours before Harvey hit, I heard that the 'rains' that would follow were likely going to be more of a problem than the hurricane itself, because of entrenched high pressures, one to the west, the other to the east. It wouldn't just 'hit land and start breaking up.'

Because of the unique weather, the hurricane would 'stall' leaving the areas east of landfall, to get 'clobbered.' Just before or after Harvey hit, the 'Euro model' was showing that areas, particularly Houston were at risk of 50+ inches within a few days. That the storm would be pulling in Gulf moisture, would make the rains near unceasing until the storm could move out. The high pressure to the east would have to move. It didn't.

As unlikely as it may seem, the models got this right. Houston, the 4th largest city in the US, has been 'clobbered.' The area has little ability to absorb more than an inch of rain, being built on dense, clay soil. In the best of times, it floods in areas. So, there's been dams built to help out. They are now over taxed and it keeps raining. The dams would give way, if pressure isn't released. So the Army Corps of Engineers began to release waters from the dam, releasing water from dams, further flooding neighborhoods, while it continues to rain.

This wasn't a repeat of the bad decisions like we saw in LA with Katrina. The city and state, along with the help from the federal government worked well together to get the resources that would be needed in place prior to landfall. Unlike Katrina there was only about a 36 hour window from the time the 'potential' depression was identified to the Cat 4 hurricane hitting. That's a small window for preparing and positioning and keeping the citizens informed. Government worked in this case.

But following the storm, the pain comes. This isn't any normal flooding, this was an epic event. The rescues and the pictures are painful, shocking, and awe-inspiring. Repercussions are likely to fall on the head of the mayor, especially now that the dams are opened, further flooding devastated areas. That it's happened overnight, when people do not have electricity, phones are no longer charged, there isn't going to be the warnings that would normally be there. First responders have been out in boats overnight trying to warn, but the area to cover is huge.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 05:51 AM
A more political take on what I said above: https://www.redstate.com/streiff/2017/08/27/houstons-mayor-tell-residents-not-evacuate/

PostmodernProphet
08-28-2017, 06:24 AM
With all my fault finding with Trump, this wasn't one of them. Bad try though. :rolleyes:

wasn't directed at you......was directed at the lib'rul media.....

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 07:24 AM
Well maybe TX is just a bit different, governor backs mayor's decision or at least says, 'STFU on fault finding...'

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-to-evacuate-ahead-of-harvey/

Houston mayor defends decision not to evacuate ahead of Harvey (http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-to-evacuate-ahead-of-harvey/)

By David K. Li (http://nypost.com/author/david-k-li/)

August 28, 2017 | 12:28am

Houston’s mayor on Sunday defended the decision not to evacuate the city ahead of the storm (http://nypost.com/2017/08/27/thousands-flee-their-homes-as-catastrophic-floods-strike-houston/) — insisting that to do so would have created an even worse “nightmare.’’

“If you think the situation right now is bad, you give an order to evacuate, you are creating a nightmare. Especially when it’s not planned,” Mayor Sylvester Turner told ABC. (http://abcnews.go.com/US/houston-mayor-defends-decision-issue-evacuation-order/story?id=49453471)
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott backed the mayor.

“Now is not the time to second-guess the decisions that were made,” Abbott said. “We’re at the stage where we just need to respond to the emergencies and necessities the people of Houston have.”

michiganFats
08-28-2017, 07:31 AM
Well maybe TX is just a bit different, governor backs mayor's decision or at least says, 'STFU on fault finding...'

http://nypost.com/2017/08/28/houston-mayor-defends-decision-not-to-evacuate-ahead-of-harvey/

It had to have been a tough call but I think they made the right choice. In addition to not having people stranded on the streets and highways it also seems to me that if you know where the people are it's easier to get to them and get them to safety than it would be if they were scattered all over God knows where.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 07:43 AM
It had to have been a tough call but I think they made the right choice. In addition to not having people stranded on the streets and highways it also seems to me that if you know where the people are it's easier to get to them and get them to safety than it would be if they were scattered all over God knows where.

Yeah, if the storm had not been so massive and one of the highs had moved, no doubt the right call. After the fact quarterbacking is not good, though it does play for great politics.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 08:30 AM

Or not:

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/08/28/harvey-blame-game-postponed-not-cancelled/

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 08:39 AM
This is bad. I heard that 15% of our energy production involved in the gulf and there at the big refinery is off line, and I'm thinking just great. I'm taking off for Montana on the 2nd and gas is already gone up $.15 on average.

But, I need to keep things in perspective I guess, me having to pay a little more for a gallon of gas is nothing compared to the tragic circumstances the people of TX are having to endure.

I'll have to find a good place to make a donation for disaster relief.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 08:55 AM
This is bad. I heard that 15% of our energy production involved in the gulf and there at the big refinery is off line, and I'm thinking just great. I'm taking off for Montana on the 2nd and gas is already gone up $.15 on average.

But, I need to keep things in perspective I guess, me having to pay a little more for a gallon of gas is nothing compared to the tragic circumstances the people of TX are having to endure.

I'll have to find a good place to make a donation for disaster relief.

Yep, what's going on down there helped me keep my cool about the freaking car and the freaking disability insurance people. Things could suck a whole lot more.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 08:59 AM
Yep, what's going on down there helped me keep my cool about the freaking car and the freaking disability insurance people. Things could suck a whole lot more.
Since I'm a gear head retired Harley tech, naturally I'm curious about what's wrong with your car... ;)

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 09:04 AM
Since I'm a gear head retired Harley tech, naturally I'm curious about what's wrong with your car... ;)

OK, it's normal problem for a car with 130k miles on it, but I'll go to lounge. ;)

pete311
08-28-2017, 09:10 AM
2 weeks ago, Trump rolled back regulations to protect against floodsFrom CNN's René Marsh:
Less than two weeks ago, Trump rolled back federal regulations that protected against flooding.
This was part of Trump’s Aug. 15 announcement (https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/08/15/presidential-executive-order-establishing-discipline-and-accountability) about speeding up the permitting process for infrastructure projects. (Reminder: This was the off-the-rails press conference (http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/trump-news-conference-twitter/index.html) where he said there were good people on both sides during the Charlottesville white nationalist rally.)
Trump's infrastructure order dismantled an Obama-era regulation that raised the standards for infrastructure projects in flood-prone areas. The now-defunct regulation required infrastructure projects — like roads and bridges — be designed and built to withstand stronger storms and rising seas levels due to climate change.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 10:00 AM
2 weeks ago, Trump rolled back regulations to protect against floods

From CNN's René Marsh:
Less than two weeks ago, Trump rolled back federal regulations that protected against flooding.
This was part of Trump’s Aug. 15 announcement (https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/08/15/presidential-executive-order-establishing-discipline-and-accountability) about speeding up the permitting process for infrastructure projects. (Reminder: This was the off-the-rails press conference (http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/15/politics/trump-news-conference-twitter/index.html) where he said there were good people on both sides during the Charlottesville white nationalist rally.)
Trump's infrastructure order dismantled an Obama-era regulation that raised the standards for infrastructure projects in flood-prone areas. The now-defunct regulation required infrastructure projects — like roads and bridges — be designed and built to withstand stronger storms and rising seas levels due to climate change.
Where does it say this was to "speed up the permitting process," and how exactly is anything being "dismantled?"

Presidential Executive Order on Establishing Discipline and Accountability in the Environmental Review and Permitting Process for Infrastructure

Abbey Marie
08-28-2017, 10:11 AM

From CNN's René Marsh:

Yes, I am sure that regs about future projects are why Houston is suffering. :laugh2:

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Just listening to Shep on FOX, no fan of Trump. Just said, "Trump has been spot on every step of this disaster." jimnyc

That wasn't why I was posting, just came up and thought Jim might like to hear.

Anyways, looks like some of the storm has moved back over the Gulf and is intensifying. Looks like it will continue to feed what's over Houston, but some is heading to add to LA mess.

jimnyc
08-28-2017, 03:25 PM
2 weeks ago, Trump rolled back regulations to protect against floodsFrom CNN's René Marsh:

And if he DIDN'T do this - then SURELY there would have been ZERO problems out there and it probably wouldn't have flooded at all, right Pete?

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 03:26 PM
:laugh2: without a doubt.
And if he DIDN'T do this - then SURELY there would have been ZERO problems out there and it probably wouldn't have flooded at all, right Pete?

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 03:27 PM
Trump just gave a very good address regarding the Hurricane, governors of TX and LA, prayers for the people, and first responders.

jimnyc
08-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Just listening to Shep on FOX, no fan of Trump. Just said, "Trump has been spot on every step of this disaster." jimnyc

That wasn't why I was posting, just came up and thought Jim might like to hear.

Anyways, looks like some of the storm has moved back over the Gulf and is intensifying. Looks like it will continue to feed what's over Houston, but some is heading to add to LA mess.

Honestly, all of my info has come from online sources, and more honestly, mostly from reading YOUR sources! But while I don't think Trump has done anything wrong, that I could see anyway - the kudos DOES have to go to ALL involved. More so likely to the local authorities, and a major kudos to the Texan citizens who went out with boats and anything they could, to help their fellow citizens - and it's still out there happening like that. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a president on the ball and calling things before they happened or whatever, and not standing in the way of those doing their jobs.

I think I saw that he is supposed to visit tomorrow? If not done already, he'll hopefully even add, or ensure that they will get ALL financing they may need and ALL resources the crappy govt has to offer in assisting.

Liberals likely wouldn't believe me, but hell, I never watch Fox news. Well, really no news at all on the tube, but of course conservatives/righties are "expected" to be die hard Fox watchers, as well as Limbaugh listeners.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Honestly, all of my info has come from online sources, and more honestly, mostly from reading YOUR sources! But while I don't think Trump has done anything wrong, that I could see anyway - the kudos DOES have to go to ALL involved. More so likely to the local authorities, and a major kudos to the Texan citizens who went out with boats and anything they could, to help their fellow citizens - and it's still out there happening like that. Of course it doesn't hurt to have a president on the ball and calling things before they happened or whatever, and not standing in the way of those doing their jobs.

I think I saw that he is supposed to visit tomorrow? If not done already, he'll hopefully even add, or ensure that they will get ALL financing they may need and ALL resources the crappy govt has to offer in assisting.

Liberals likely wouldn't believe me, but hell, I never watch Fox news. Well, really no news at all on the tube, but of course conservatives/righties are "expected" to be die hard Fox watchers, as well as Limbaugh listeners.

I watch the news, usually a mix of FOX and CNN, nearly always local CBS evening-not network. I don't watch Fox & Friends and other entertainment/Trump pushing shows. Nor CNN's anti-Trump shows-which is more and more all that's on CNN. In any case, during events like terrorism or this Hurricane, news is nearly always on. ;)

Gunny
08-28-2017, 03:59 PM
I had read yesterday as well, that those who refused to leave were told to write their SS #'s on their arms for identification!! That alone would likely make me think about getting in my car! :laugh:That was in Dickinson.

Gunny
08-28-2017, 04:03 PM
It had to have been a tough call but I think they made the right choice. In addition to not having people stranded on the streets and highways it also seems to me that if you know where the people are it's easier to get to them and get them to safety than it would be if they were scattered all over God knows where.Well, where DOES one evacuate 2.5m people to?

michiganFats
08-28-2017, 04:04 PM
Well, where DOES one evacuate 2.5m people to?

To your house. Be grateful and shut it inlander.

Black Diamond
08-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Well, where DOES one evacuate 2.5m people to?
Houston.

See Katrina 2005

michiganFats
08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Houston.

See Katrina 2005

That worked out pretty good.

Gunny
08-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Houston.

See Katrina 2005Try San Antonio as well. We usually get about a third of the runners. Not sure how many we got this time since we don't have Houston as a buffer this time. Let's say there's LOTS of people here.

We got some winds and heavy rain. Our biggest problem will be if we flood when the rivers crest. That and supporting refugees. For one thing, we're out of gas and guess WHERE the gas comes from ..... Corpus and Houston. Otherwise, there was no actual damage to speak of here.

PostmodernProphet
08-28-2017, 06:44 PM

good......let us know if there is further news of his successes.........

jimnyc
08-28-2017, 06:51 PM
good......let us know if there is further news of his successes.........

:laugh::thumb: :beer: