PDA

View Full Version : Here's the double edged sword

darin
08-28-2017, 01:14 AM
On one hand I like the government caring for our citizens. On the other hand when I hear folks complaining about their free shit I get a little mad.

https://www.democracynow.org/2006/4/24/femas_dirty_little_secret_a_rare

The woman on camera - she complains about the 'free' food. She complains about the living conditions. Things like buying her own propane (for cooking I imagine).

I would do EVERY FUCKING THING POSSIBLE to avoid a FEMA Camp during a disaster. I would never willingly enter what amounts to a concentration camp - but I also cannot imagine people willingly entering a place like that then complaining about "Not being allowed to decorate the outside of their trailer" - AND "she has to pay" after 300 minutes on her free Cell phone.

But then - check out the Blackshirts forbidding residents from speaking about their conditions. Look at this bullshit. The whole thing is awful.

Lesson is - NEVER give up your freedom - except....uh....People are WILLINGLY putting up with this shit.

God.

Torn.

What is broken within the human spirit that drives people to sign off on their self-resolve? What is broken within government that forks over billions to those unwilling to help themselves?

michiganFats
08-28-2017, 04:47 AM
On one hand I like the government caring for our citizens. On the other hand when I hear folks complaining about their free shit I get a little mad.

I guess you can't have one without the other. I'd rather live in a country where we do help the people who need it but with that you'll also get the people who take advantage or complain when they don't like the quality or the quantity of the free stuff they receive. You're right calling it a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways.

darin
08-28-2017, 05:02 AM
I guess you can't have one without the other. I'd rather live in a country where we do help the people who need it but with that you'll also get the people who take advantage or complain when they don't like the quality or the quantity of the free stuff they receive. You're right calling it a double-edged sword, it cuts both ways.

Was reading about a furniture store who is letting folks in for shelter....and what scares me is when the furniture store eventually tells them to leave...what happens? Will they squat there because "they have nowhere else to go!"?

Ugh.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 06:17 AM
Generations of "takers." That's all they know... gimme, gimme, gimme.

Work for something? Are you kidding... where's my free shit? ... "and make it good."

michiganFats
08-28-2017, 06:42 AM
Was reading about a furniture store who is letting folks in for shelter....and what scares me is when the furniture store eventually tells them to leave...what happens? Will they squat there because "they have nowhere else to go!"?

Ugh.

I wouldn't be surprised if some try to do that but I think the real problem comes later when they want help rebuilding their lives.

Gunny
08-29-2017, 06:52 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if some try to do that but I think the real problem comes later when they want help rebuilding their lives.The "scum" (not all refugees) that came to San Antonio during Katrina were ripping off the people that allowed them into their homes on their way out of town.

Some DID refuse to leave.