PDA

View Full Version : My Love/Hate Deal With My Car

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 09:12 AM
Other than normal wear and tear, my 2004 Mazda 6 has been a trouper, in spite of my neglect of the old girl. 130k miles is not bad, she waits for her oil to be changed and never has run out of fumes, in spite of my idiotic moments.

Yesterday I got ready for work, leaving 10 minutes earlier than normal. She needed gas. Was only going to put $20 in, figuring on waiting for payday, but with the hurricane and rising prices, what the hell, filler 'er up.

Got in the car, wouldn't start. Worse places to be stuck than in a Chevron station, but they don't do repairs.

Got a jump after an hour, $84. :( Insurance should pay, but that's a whole other story.

The tow truck driver told me AutoZone would sell and install a battery, it's a Sunday and we're not in civilization anymore. Nothing is opened here on Sundays!

So ride to AutoZone and tell them I need battery and installation. Nice lady says, 'Let's check the battery first, make sure that's the problem.' So she does. Battery tests at 100%. She does something else, 'It's the alternator.' Umm, 'do you do those?' "We sell them, but don't install them. You don't need a battery."

She says, 'Let's look up the price of alternator, you'll have an idea of costs then." $104 for the alternator, figure another $100 or so for labor.

So, she loosens the red connector on my battery, 'when you get home, take this off, it will stop draining the battery and save that. You'll need a jump tomorrow though.'

So she was right, I'm waiting now for a friend to come and jump me, then heading to the mechanic.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Other than normal wear and tear, my 2004 Mazda 6 has been a trouper, in spite of my neglect of the old girl. 130k miles is not bad, she waits for her oil to be changed and never has run out of fumes, in spite of my idiotic moments.

Yesterday I got ready for work, leaving 10 minutes earlier than normal. She needed gas. Was only going to put $20 in, figuring on waiting for payday, but with the hurricane and rising prices, what the hell, filler 'er up.

Got in the car, wouldn't start. Worse places to be stuck than in a Chevron station, but they don't do repairs.

Got a jump after an hour, $84. :( Insurance should pay, but that's a whole other story.

The tow truck driver told me AutoZone would sell and install a battery, it's a Sunday and we're not in civilization anymore. Nothing is opened here on Sundays!

So ride to AutoZone and tell them I need battery and installation. Nice lady says, 'Let's check the battery first, make sure that's the problem.' So she does. Battery tests at 100%. She does something else, 'It's the alternator.' Umm, 'do you do those?' "We sell them, but don't install them. You don't need a battery."

She says, 'Let's look up the price of alternator, you'll have an idea of costs then." $104 for the alternator, figure another $100 or so for labor.

So, she loosens the red connector on my battery, 'when you get home, take this off, it will stop draining the battery and save that. You'll need a jump tomorrow though.'

So she was right, I'm waiting now for a friend to come and jump me, then heading to the mechanic.
All sounds pretty straight forward. The alternator produces A/C voltage, but through a series of diodes it converts it to D/C voltage. When one of those diodes burns out, the output decreases and it creates a static drain of the battery when you shut it off, very common failure for an alternator. You'll be all fixed up with a new one. The price sounded good too, $106 ain't bad.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 09:25 AM
All sounds pretty straight forward. The alternator produces A/C voltage, but through a series of diodes it converts it to D/C voltage. When one of those diodes burns out, the output decreases and it creates a static drain of the battery when you shut it off, very common failure for an alternator. You'll be all fixed up with a new one. The price sounded good too, $106 ain't bad.

Well installed should be a tad over $100, if the alternator is easily accessible. One problem with the Mazda, sometimes that's not the case.

Thanks to screw ups with disability insurance, $200 is about all I have and rent is due on the 1st. Thank God I was such a task master and all my kids being well employed. LOL! My son is going to pick up the car tab. Hopefully my funds will be straightened out when I go to Chicago for other son's wedding. I can make it up then.

darin
08-28-2017, 09:29 AM
Is it the v6? alternator isnt bad. Probably by passenger side tire.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 09:33 AM
Is it the v6? alternator isnt bad. Probably by passenger side tire.

yep, it's a 6. I really hope you're right. I hated having to ask the kid. ;)

darin
08-28-2017, 09:55 AM
yep, it's a 6. I really hope you're right. I hated having to ask the kid. ;)

Remove passenger front wheel, remove inner fender lining, loosen 13mm bolt (could be a 12?), slide alternator down to loosen the belt. Unplug unit. Remove main mounting bolt. Replace alty, re-install belt, tighten that 13mm bolt, replace inner fender, re-install wheel.

Hour tops I'd bet.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 10:40 AM
Remove passenger front wheel, remove inner fender lining, loosen 13mm bolt (could be a 12?), slide alternator down to loosen the belt. Unplug unit. Remove main mounting bolt. Replace alty, re-install belt, tighten that 13mm bolt, replace inner fender, re-install wheel.

Hour tops I'd bet.

Darin, my doing that isn't going to happen. :laugh2: One of the mechanics just gave me a ride home. They are going to try and fit it in today, I hope they do. Wah! I'm not good without wheels! My son just texted me, "When did you change the oil? Get them to do that and check everything out!" LOL! Luckily I could honestly say I just had that done two weeks ago! :dance: