PDA

View Full Version : This Will Be The Story For Weeks After The Hurricane...

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 10:12 AM
Nothing seems to happen anymore without a blame game to follow. Never let a good disaster go to waste...

Why Wasn’t Houston Evacuated Before Hurricane Harvey?

http://heavy.com/news/2017/08/why-wasnt-houston-evacuated-mandatory-evacuation-issued-sylvester-turner-ed-emmett-abbott-trump-hurricane-harvey/

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 10:15 AM
When it's all said and done, the left will conclude it was president Trump's fault. There's no other possible conclusion they could come to. They already knew it was president Trump's fault even before the hurricane hit.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 10:48 AM
When it's all said and done, the left will conclude it was president Trump's fault. There's no other possible conclusion they could come to. They already knew it was president Trump's fault even before the hurricane hit.

The one set up by this is the Democrat mayor who told people to stay home. We discussed this on another thread, there were some decent reasons behind his decision, but when push comes to shove, he should have gone with the Republican governor's advice. If anyone's going to be reamed, it's him.

Abbey Marie
08-28-2017, 10:53 AM
Mayor Nagin and Governor Landreau were very much to blame during Katrina, yet the lib media tried to pin it on Bush. Same old story. It's the fault of any Republican in charge, period.
It's so constant and disgusting, I can't even care anymore.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 11:16 AM
Mayor Nagin and...
... his "CHOCOLATE CITY."

It's so constant and disgusting, I can't even care anymore.
Man I hear that. I used to be kind of a news junky, not anymore. I tune out the vast majority of it. I tuned out the democrat propaganda machine decades ago. Not really much left to watch, listen to or read that isn't just one huge put off.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 11:21 AM
... his "CHOCOLATE CITY."

Man I hear that. I used to be kind of a news junky, not anymore. I tune out the vast majority of it. I tuned out the democrat propaganda machine decades ago. Not really much left to watch, listen to or read that isn't just one huge put off.

There were lessons learned on the state/local and federal level post-Katrina.

The requests have to be made to the feds. While waiting for the requests, there's no reason to hamper moving the people and materials known will be needed forward, saving untold problems down the road.

LA had very bad government, aiming to hurt the President.

What I've seen in TX might be some local wrangling between big city mayor and conservative governor, but nothing extraordinary. In the end, both made calls they thought were 'good.' The mayor, IMO will take any heat, but not so sure he'll not be re-elected over his best guess call.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-28-2017, 12:38 PM

The requests have to be made to the feds. While waiting for the requests, there's no reason to hamper moving the people and materials known will be needed forward, saving untold problems down the road.

What I've seen in TX might be some local wrangling between big city mayor and conservative governor, but nothing extraordinary. In the end, both made calls they thought were 'good.' The mayor, IMO will take any heat, but not so sure he'll not be re-elected over his best guess call.
He won't take any heat from the leftist democrat propaganda wing. They'll still find a way to blame it on president Trump.

As with Katrina, the left went bat crap crazy enough to even say that Bush steered the hurricane into New Orleans to drive the black people out. They'll get just as bat crap crazy making up excuses to blame it on president Trump too, it's who they are and what they do.

https://parapoliticaljournal.com/2015/08/29/the-katrina-conspiracy-what-really-happened-10-years-ago-in-new-orleans/

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 12:50 PM
He won't take any heat from the leftist democrat propaganda wing. They'll still find a way to blame it on president Trump.

As with Katrina, the left went bat crap crazy enough to even say that Bush steered the hurricane into New Orleans to drive the black people out. They'll get just as bat crap crazy making up excuses to blame it on president Trump too, it's who they are and what they do.

https://parapoliticaljournal.com/2015/08/29/the-katrina-conspiracy-what-really-happened-10-years-ago-in-new-orleans/

Of course he won't, many of us, myself included certainly defended Bush when attacked. Spent many hours explaining to democrats why the fault with Katrina was local government and not bright citizens in NOLA.

Besides, his decision wasn't to cause Trump problems and it wasn't against the protection of his constituency, at the time he made those decisions. That's a world of difference from went on with Katrina.

jimnyc
08-28-2017, 12:55 PM
One thing I've noticed, but it's still very early...

The condemnation around Bush started almost instantly with Katrina. And lasted.

Trump, IMO, has done everything perfectly thus far, as have folks in charge in Texas, from what I've seen/read from a distance. Of course some bitched that he dared post on twitter... but while many were fully prepared to hang him for this event - I am only wondering at this point - will he get any credit for anything positive from it? If one has enough responsibility to where they can be blamed if things go south, then surely they deserve some credit if it doesn't. I've seen a couple of small articles, from righty sites of course... and I know Kath here has been acknowledging efforts from various folks, but I'll be curious how the MSM and pundits continue to handle things going forward.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 01:04 PM
One thing I've noticed, but it's still very early...

The condemnation around Bush started almost instantly with Katrina. And lasted.

Trump, IMO, has done everything perfectly thus far, as have folks in charge in Texas, from what I've seen/read from a distance. Of course some bitched that he dared post on twitter... but while many were fully prepared to hang him for this event - I am only wondering at this point - will he get any credit for anything positive from it? If one has enough responsibility to where they can be blamed if things go south, then surely they deserve some credit if it doesn't. I've seen a couple of small articles, from righty sites of course... and I know Kath here has been acknowledging efforts from various folks, but I'll be curious how the MSM and pundits continue to handle things going forward.

I've not seen any articles criticizing the federal response, some giving grudging praise. I seriously don't think the praise or blame in either Trump's or Bush's terms really lies with the president, but the response agencies. I think Trump has benefited from the crap that happened with Katrina. As I earlier posted, the fed was freed to act, though not deploy, the necessary personnel and equipment needed, prior to state request and approval.

Whether or not deserving of praise, I think Trump is in good standing regarding this awful disaster. I said from the beginning, this might be his chance to 'shine,' though it would be good to let others do the praising. LOL!

Gunny
08-28-2017, 05:02 PM

What I've seen in TX might be some local wrangling between big city mayor and conservative governor, but nothing extraordinary. In the end, both made calls they thought were 'good.' The mayor, IMO will take any heat, but not so sure he'll not be re-elected over his best guess call.There are plenty of reasons to not move 2.5M people before the fact. Unfortunately, by the time they know for sure where it's going to hit, there's no way of knowing. In 1980, we hunkered down in Miami for Hurricane David and it was making a beeline for us for days. It bounced off the coast and went up and whacked Orlando instead. We got some rain and wind.

THEN whose fault is it all that time, money and effort was spent on something that didn't happen? It's a lose/lose deal and there are NO "lessons learned" from last time.

Or else no one bothered to tell Harvey. The hurricane is what wasn't in compliance with the "experts" models. In the past, hurricanes (in TX) hit the coast and wipe out a town, head inland circling northeast and go about its business dumping rain from Texas up into Kentucky. They don't reverse track, run over the same ground and just hang out because an inconvenient front won't move.

I was laughing at the goofs on TV wringing their hands trying to predict where the hurricane was going and in the end, they got it wrong. The storm does what it wants and you get to clean up. THAT is the "model". If people don't want to leave, it's on THEM. The people in Houston usually come HERE. We were the ones that were supposed to get hit so why would they?

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 06:03 PM
To give an idea of the scope of damages, 'the area that is underwater is the same size as from NYC to Boston.' That's what was just reported on FOX.

Elessar
08-28-2017, 06:34 PM
I talked about this very same thing with Katrina.

The Federal Government has no authority to order evacuations except in two situations:

1. Declared war or invasion;
2. If Martial Law is declared.

All the feds can do is advise people to listen to NOAA and heed the warnings.

What did NOT hear was the left whining that Obama did not order the parts of New Jersey that got
hammered by Sandy.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 06:35 PM
I talked about this very same thing with Katrina.

The Federal Government has no authority to order evacuations except in two situations:

1. Declared war or invasion;
2. If Martial Law is declared.

All the feds can do is advise people to listen to NOAA and heed the warnings.

What did NOT hear was the left whining that Obama did not order the parts of New Jersey that got
hammered by Sandy.

Who was saying the federal government should order evacuations? I missed that.

Elessar
08-28-2017, 06:39 PM
Who was saying the federal government should order evacuations? I missed that.

Federal Government meaning the President.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 06:41 PM
Federal Government meaning the President.

Again, who suggested the President should have issued evacuation orders in any state?

jimnyc
08-28-2017, 06:42 PM
To give an idea of the scope of damages, 'the area that is underwater is the same size as from NYC to Boston.' That's what was just reported on FOX.

Damn, that's huge. I've driven that route, from NYC or Lower Westchester, to Boston on many occasions. That's a LONG distance and a HUGE amount of land for a flood to cover. If that's the case, this must be easily one of the worst floods ever seen, likely top 10 if not.

I just checked, from my house, which is 15 miles or so north of NYC, is still 203 miles to Boston.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 06:44 PM
Damn, that's huge. I've driven that route, from NYC or Lower Westchester, to Boston on many occasions. That's a LONG distance and a HUGE amount of land for a flood to cover. If that's the case, this must be easily one of the worst floods ever seen, likely top 10 if not.

I just checked, from my house, which is 15 miles or so north of NYC, is still 203 miles to Boston.

I don't get out often, but I too have done that drive and it's a hell of a long ways! Houston must be huge, though I'm beginning to get a scope of how big cities are in sq miles as one moves West. Phoenix takes up an incredible amount of land. I thought LA was an anomaly, but it looks like not.

Abbey Marie
08-28-2017, 07:38 PM
Was it on here that someone posted an article saying Trump would be to blame for any problems in Texas, because he has left unfilled positions in the federal govt? I know I saw it somwhere a few days ago. It matters not if this was handled better than Katrina, or if the mayor and governor are at fault. Trump will be blamed.

Kathianne
08-28-2017, 07:41 PM
Was it on here that someone posted an article saying Trump would be to blame for any problems in Texas, because he has left unfilled positions in the federal govt? I know I saw it somwhere a few days ago. It matters not if this was handled better than Katrina, or if the mayor and governor are at fault. Trump will be blamed.

Yeah, Salon wrote something incredibly idiotic prior to anything happening. It's even better in retrospect since the Feds have been giving a spot on response from before day 1. As I said to Jim earlier, I don't think that's necessarily thanks to Trump, as much as the agencies learning a hell of a lot post-Katrina. But he deserves all the kudos coming as the head of the executive department.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-29-2017, 07:39 AM
I don't get out often, but I too have done that drive and it's a hell of a long ways! Houston must be huge, though I'm beginning to get a scope of how big cities are in sq miles as one moves West. Phoenix takes up an incredible amount of land. I thought LA was an anomaly, but it looks like not.
No doubt about Phoenix. I got an idea how huge that city was when I moved from Apache Junction up to North Phoenix, Deer Valley area. From A.J. around the 101 loop up to north Phoenix, never leaving the city, and almost exactly just one quarter of way around the loop, was 55 miles. So a one way trip around Phoenix metro on the 101 would be in excess of 200 miles, and you never leave the city. That to me was staggering.

pete311
08-29-2017, 02:31 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10823&stc=1
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/263280672146337792

High_Plains_Drifter
08-29-2017, 05:38 PM
POOOOR Barry... Trump should have have just fell in line and unconditionally kissed his ass and fawned over him like the rest of the adoring leftist propaganda machine did.

Kathianne
09-01-2017, 07:19 PM
These people must be feeling like the definition for 'when it rains, it pours.' I can't believe how they keep adapting, reminds me of Job:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-chemical-plant-fire-federal-investigation-launched/story?id=49548581

Fresh flames rage at Texas chemical plant flooded by Harvey

By MORGAN WINSOR
JULIA JACOBO

STEPHANIE EBBS

Sep 1, 2017, 7:34 PM ET

A massive fire has broken out once again at a chemical plant owned by Arkema Inc. in Crosby, Texas, that was flooded by Hurricane Harvey earlier this week.

The chemical plant has lost power and refrigeration capabilities due to Harvey and its aftermath, causing organic peroxides stored in containers at the facility to become unstable and break down as they are exposed to the Texas heat.

Around 5:05 p.m. local time, workers at the Harris County Emergency Operation Center observed "multiple dark plumes of smoke" coming from the plant, Arkema said in a statement.

Today's incident occurred as a result of "extremely high water and power loss" in the aftermath of the storm, Arkema said.

Local officials are maintaining a 1.5-mile perimeter around the plant, Arkema said, urging people not to return to the area in the evacuation zone until emergency response authorities announce that it is safe to do so.

The only positive in the story is that for this they had some warning, the company said last night they feared a fire after major problems yesterday.

aboutime
09-01-2017, 07:52 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10823&stc=1

HOLY COW petey boy. You really do have a knack for showing us how literally ignorant, stupid, and perpetually dumb you really are. GOOD JOB. Life must really be happily miserable for you with your Trump Derangement Syndrome, causing liberal DAIN BRAMMAGE.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: