PDA

View Full Version : I support Price Gouging. Here's why....

darin
08-30-2017, 09:21 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ojYtKazgQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr5_049654Q

John Stossel - this guy nearly always hits a home run.

pete311
08-30-2017, 12:20 PM
I don't buy their arguments. "Sends signal flares" ok gtfo. Guess you should go join the martin shkreli fan club. Hope you don't someday need his product.

darin
08-31-2017, 01:10 AM
I don't buy their arguments. "Sends signal flares" ok gtfo. Guess you should go join the martin shkreli fan club. Hope you don't someday need his product.

because if I need the product and prices don't rise I will be unable to get the product. Maybe you didn't understand the arguments?

Guy buys Gennies at retail. Guy loads them, rents a truck, unloads them, then offers them for a mark-up to people who need them. Cops come in and removes-from-available the vital equipment the people need simply because the Law doesn't like the price of the product.

pete311
08-31-2017, 09:17 AM
because if I need the product and prices don't rise I will be unable to get the product. Maybe you didn't understand the arguments?

Guy buys Gennies at retail. Guy loads them, rents a truck, unloads them, then offers them for a mark-up to people who need them. Cops come in and removes-from-available the vital equipment the people need simply because the Law doesn't like the price of the product.

Legality does not equate with morality. The poor are hit the hardest when in times of need.

Gunny
08-31-2017, 11:25 AM
Legality does not equate with morality. The poor are hit the hardest when in times of need.Perhaps. However, outlying cities are hit just as hard as the poor. Think about it (for real).

What does a city under water need with vehicle fuel? Except for emergency vehicles and the type, all the little uber drivers are SOL.

Now, we (San Antonio) are Houston's next line of supply. All those volunteers running to Houston and other little cities and towns? They don't run on air. The people doing the donating and volunteering need to go to work or they can't earn anything TO volunteer. Taking advantage of those lending a hand is rather poor form.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2017, 11:51 AM
I think this issue has two distinct components....

1) it seems an argument can be made that if prices are raised, it will discourage people from hoarding which will make the items more readily available to everyone. However, I haven't seen any proof of that. I believe when people are in a panic they'll buy as many of whatever they think they're going to need regardless of the price, which brings us to the next point...

2) merchants raise prices because they know people need this or that, and that there's a mad dash to buy it, and these sellers know that people will either pay it or not, but most will because it might be, they have no choice. So then that brings up the ethical question, is it ethical to gouge people in a time of need? Price gouging people in a time of need does have all the hallmarks of taking advantage of people in a dire situation.

Gunny
08-31-2017, 12:11 PM
I think this issue has two distinct components....

1) it seems an argument can be made that if prices are raised, it will discourage people from hoarding which will make the items more readily available to everyone. However, I haven't seen any proof of that. I believe when people are in a panic they'll buy as many of whatever they think they're going to need regardless of the price, which brings us to the next point...

2) merchants raise prices because they know people need this or that, and that there's a mad dash to buy it, and these sellers know that people will either pay it or not, but most will because it might be, they have no choice. So then that brings up the ethical question, is it ethical to gouge people in a time of need? Price gouging people in a time of need does have all the hallmarks of taking advantage of people in a dire situation.

Our problem is two-fold: One, our local pump has premium only. The priority for gas shipments is Houston. Their gas stations are all closed?

Two, how long does this last? They use the word "temporary", but if we are shipping refined gas TO the place that provides a majority of the nation's refined gas, how does that work? One of the Valero refineries is shut down completely for a leak.

Gas went up 20 cents a gallon. I don't really see that as gouging. Gas prices go up on a good day if one of the CEO's develops indigestion.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2017, 12:48 PM
Our problem is two-fold: One, our local pump has premium only. The priority for gas shipments is Houston. Their gas stations are all closed?

Two, how long does this last? They use the word "temporary", but if we are shipping refined gas TO the place that provides a majority of the nation's refined gas, how does that work? One of the Valero refineries is shut down completely for a leak.

Gas went up 20 cents a gallon. I don't really see that as gouging. Gas prices go up on a good day if one of the CEO's develops indigestion.
Yeah I don't think gas going up $.20 a gallon is bad at all seeing as 15% of all the refining is done at that plant that shut down. I look at that as simple supply and demand. That's the way the market works. But then that opens up the argument that that's what gouging could be considered.

Good timing for me to head out tomorrow morning on a 3,000 mile round trip vacation though, in a gas guzzling, 3/4 ton, 6.0 ltr engine truck.

michiganFats
08-31-2017, 12:55 PM
because if I need the product and prices don't rise I will be unable to get the product.

Are you retarded?