PDA

View Full Version : Hurricanes -- Something to Ponder

Gunny
08-30-2017, 08:55 PM
I'm watching all these different reactions. People from other states, the government, the MSM. oh, did you know this is NOT a "natural disaster"? It's a "climate-controlled disaster". :rolleyes: Watch all the money pouring in, all the help. I couldn't be prouder to be a Texan the way Texas has reacted. Not slighting anyone else before someone cries. ALL help is appreciated.

BUT ... not mentioned that I have seen or heard is this: This is the BEGINNING of hurricane season. We got until November to go. Lot of what if's -- like predicting hurricanes. IF we get slammed ("we" being the US) by another before the season is over, we WILL be in a hurt locker. I don't believe we have the resources to handle it.

Kathianne
08-31-2017, 12:24 AM
I'm watching all these different reactions. People from other states, the government, the MSM. oh, did you know this is NOT a "natural disaster"? It's a "climate-controlled disaster". :rolleyes: Watch all the money pouring in, all the help. I couldn't be prouder to be a Texan the way Texas has reacted. Not slighting anyone else before someone cries. ALL help is appreciated.

BUT ... not mentioned that I have seen or heard is this: This is the BEGINNING of hurricane season. We got until November to go. Lot of what if's -- like predicting hurricanes. IF we get slammed ("we" being the US) by another before the season is over, we WILL be in a hurt locker. I don't believe we have the resources to handle it.

Nearly everyone I know has been sending something in one form or another. Around here, a good distance away, it's mostly money. I don't know folks here with a ton of money, but they are sending something. I think what's pretty shocking are how many saying, "but not to the Red Cross, sending directly to Salvation Army or Samaritan's Purse." Enough people seem to have had either personal experience or know others that have had disasters and the Red Cross has been missing or ineffective-especially as donations have slowed down.

Groups have gone into help, they'll continue to do so. One of my kids and their friends went with 'Habitat for Humanity' to NOLA a couple summers after Katrina, it was years. We'll be seeing the same in TX.

If another big disaster hits, I think folks will do it again, send their donations in. Bring food, clothing, bedding, etc., to local churches that will get them where needed. In some ways, the internet has made things easier as far as 'getting the word out' on how to help. "Raising Men, One Lawn At A Time" has had their 'TX members' put lists up on Amazon or Walmart, of items they need or affiliated with groups they belong to; other members can then order from the list. The goods then can be sent or picked up at local address.

Speaking of Walmart, heard they are giving an immediate $2M to a specific area in TX, then another $18 through a matching program from donations-up to $20M. Millions too have been donated by 'big names' in film and sports. Got to give credit where due. Around here, I'm sure it true throughout the country, local groceries are collecting points for Texas.

The resources in the country are there to 'help' whenever needed. The big problem, as the Red Cross reminds us, are the problems with 'scams' and organizations that spend more then help. People will give to help, but they want the help going to those in need.

Gunny
08-31-2017, 06:57 PM
Nearly everyone I know has been sending something in one form or another. Around here, a good distance away, it's mostly money. I don't know folks here with a ton of money, but they are sending something. I think what's pretty shocking are how many saying, "but not to the Red Cross, sending directly to Salvation Army or Samaritan's Purse." Enough people seem to have had either personal experience or know others that have had disasters and the Red Cross has been missing or ineffective-especially as donations have slowed down.

Groups have gone into help, they'll continue to do so. One of my kids and their friends went with 'Habitat for Humanity' to NOLA a couple summers after Katrina, it was years. We'll be seeing the same in TX.

If another big disaster hits, I think folks will do it again, send their donations in. Bring food, clothing, bedding, etc., to local churches that will get them where needed. In some ways, the internet has made things easier as far as 'getting the word out' on how to help. "Raising Men, One Lawn At A Time" has had their 'TX members' put lists up on Amazon or Walmart, of items they need or affiliated with groups they belong to; other members can then order from the list. The goods then can be sent or picked up at local address.

Speaking of Walmart, heard they are giving an immediate $2M to a specific area in TX, then another $18 through a matching program from donations-up to $20M. Millions too have been donated by 'big names' in film and sports. Got to give credit where due. Around here, I'm sure it true throughout the country, local groceries are collecting points for Texas.

The resources in the country are there to 'help' whenever needed. The big problem, as the Red Cross reminds us, are the problems with 'scams' and organizations that spend more then help. People will give to help, but they want the help going to those in need.I've heard the same about the Red Cross. They were a nightmare to deal with in the Marines. If you needed Emergency Leave money, they'd loan it to you but take it back out of your pay immediately after your leave was over.

The military strongarms you to donate, usually to the Combined Federal Campaign. You can however go through and pick where your money goes. Most of CFC money goes to the CFC.

We gave food and clothes to St Paul's. It's local. Been around since before me. Went to school one year across from the place.