PDA

View Full Version : Well, I Take Off Tomorrow Morning For Montana

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2017, 07:00 AM
Going to visit the older sister and her family out there. I lived there a couple different times myself. Once after I graduated high school and then again after I got out of the Air Force. Beautiful state, great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again. Looking forward to a fun road trip and vacation.

darin
08-31-2017, 07:14 AM
Why would you not like to live there? I found it a beautiful state. Safe travels, partner.

High_Plains_Drifter
08-31-2017, 07:29 AM
I think it is one of the prettiest states in America, but much of it is what I'd consider pretty remote. My sister lives in the Madison Valley in SW MT, and they still don't have decent cable internet, and the distances between towns, especially to get to something that resembles a modern city is a long way. But, if that sort of thing appeals to someone, Montana is a Shangri La. My nephew is a cowboy on a ranch a ways outside of Ennis, MT, and he says the influx of CA liberals into the area in the past 30 years has turned it into a town he barely recognizes anymore. I guess the ranch he works on is for sale, and he says if it sells and he doesn't have a job, he's ready to leave MT.

Been 30 years since I've been out there so... going to be interesting to see how it's changed.

Thanks for the safe travel wishes... :thumb:

I remember one time you took a road trip and mounted your camera in your car, then set it to take a picture every 30 seconds or minute, something like that, it was very cool.

darin
08-31-2017, 08:05 AM
I think it is one of the prettiest states in America, but much of it is what I'd consider pretty remote. My sister lives in the Madison Valley in SW MT, and they still don't have decent cable internet, and the distances between towns, especially to get to something that resembles a modern city is a long way. But, if that sort of thing appeals to someone, Montana is a Shangri La. My nephew is a cowboy on a ranch a ways outside of Ennis, MT, and he says the influx of CA liberals into the area in the past 30 years has turned it into a town he barely recognizes anymore. I guess the ranch he works on is for sale, and he says if it sells and he doesn't have a job, he's ready to leave MT.

Been 30 years since I've been out there so... going to be interesting to see how it's changed.

Thanks for the safe travel wishes... :thumb:

I remember one time you took a road trip and mounted your camera in your car, then set it to take a picture every 30 seconds or minute, something like that, it was very cool.

Montana to South Dakota :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSy__Ardb6E

michiganFats
08-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Going to visit the older sister and her family out there. I lived there a couple different times myself. Once after I graduated high school and then again after I got out of the Air Force. Beautiful state, great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again. Looking forward to a fun road trip and vacation.

Gonna go fuck a goat eh? If you weren't such a turd maybe a woman would want you.

jimnyc
08-31-2017, 03:01 PM
Gonna go fuck a goat eh? If you weren't such a turd maybe a woman would want you.

User removed from thread. No need to attack in lounge threads for absolutely no reason.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2017, 05:21 AM
Woke up a little before 5:00, it's 5:18 here right now, far as I can see there's no fog so that's great. I'll get my last couple things in the truck, shut down all the electrical and cable goodies in the house and split. Really looking forward to a nice, leisurely road trip out west.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2017, 06:07 AM
Well, time to split... Montana bound and down... :dance:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-01-2017, 06:07 AM

Missed this yesterday.
Have a safe and great trip and visit my friend..
Remember, the speed limit is just there to snatch your hard earned money! -Tyr

Kathianne
09-01-2017, 07:36 AM
Safe driving! Hope the fog has cleared.

jimnyc
09-01-2017, 07:45 AM
Safe travels!! :beer:

High_Plains_Drifter
09-01-2017, 07:12 PM
Some fog in WI on the way headed out of the state but not bad. Finally hit the interstate in MN and the speed limit was 70 so I did 75. Hit South Dakota and the speed limit went up to 80. Nice sailing, just did 80, most people weren't going any faster than that. Started to feel a little burnt out by the time I hit Chamberlain, 507 miles from home, so even though it was still early, I pulled over and got a room, a grubby Super 8 motel room, $108, carpet looks dirty enough that you could ring grease and dirt out of it, but, it doesn't really stink and the bed looks clean and I'm beat so I really don't care, but what the hell happened to the price of a motel room, when did it triple?

But sure as shit when I went down town to find some fast food drive through, there's a noise that shouldn't be there coming from under the hood, coming from under the hood of a 2015 vehicle with only 21, 400 miles on it. I just can't get a break. So out of curiosity I shut the a/c off and sure enough, it goes quiet. So, looks like I drive the rest of the way to my sister's place with NO a/c. Oh well, my sister called the Chevy dealer in Dillon, MT and they said they'd be able to get the truck in right away Tuesday. It's all warranty so, fix it, so I can enjoy myself, and not bake inside my black truck.

Gotta be something to make this an adventure I suppose. I'll be up and gone before the sun comes up I'm sure.

The mighty Missouri River, 212 years ago you might have caught Lewis and Clark and the Corps of Discovery going past right here...

https://image.ibb.co/ctBfta/Missouri_River.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
09-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Holy bloody hell is it good to be home. That 2,700 mile round trip drive, alone, just saps about everything ya got out of ya. Not sure if I'll do that again... ever. I think if I visit out west, as much as I hate to, I'll fly.

Elessar
09-10-2017, 05:30 PM
Friends a few years back took a train from Iowa to Seattle. They said the scenery was fantastic.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-10-2017, 10:07 PM
Friends a few years back took a train from Iowa to Seattle. They said the scenery was fantastic.
Excellent suggestion. I love trains.

NightTrain
09-11-2017, 02:09 AM

wtf?

I guess I misjudged you.. I thought you were a pretty cool guy.

Abbey Marie
09-11-2017, 11:00 AM
wtf?

I guess I misjudged you.. I thought you were a pretty cool guy.
Yes, I felt the same. In addition to this, he singled-out Jim and I as bad folks.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-13-2017, 09:03 PM
Well, things have gotten back to normal, and never in my life have I been so glad to be in Wisconsin. I'll tell ya, the west just isn't what I remember it being. Of course I just might have been there at the absolute wrong time, but holy cow, I lived in Montana two different times and never was it like that. Now it was scorching hot, everything burnt brown and thick smoke everywhere. Last Tuesday when I left the motel to drive over to my sister's there was FIRE ASH on my truck, it was THAT BAD. I listened to the local Montana news and it was all air quality HAZARDOUS. It made me feel less than good, with coming from an elevation in Wisconsin of like 150 ft to a mile high, I'm not acclimated to that, then through in that ungodly thick smoke and man... I was feeling half a bubble off to say the least. So as much as I hated to I cut my visit short a couple days and headed back east. Got back to Wisconsin and everything was GREEN and lush and the air was crisp Fall clean and almost sweet in comparison.

I took a bunch of pics and I want to share some of them with folks. When I get a little extra time here I'll get them loaded up to IBB and post a few.

High_Plains_Drifter
09-18-2017, 05:05 PM
My cowboy nephew standing by an abandoned house on the ranch...

https://image.ibb.co/jPu4Ja/IMG_0167.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
09-18-2017, 05:08 PM
You can really see how bad the smoke was in this pic. That's the Sphinx Mountain in the background that you can barely see. Looking straight in that direction is Yellowstone Park, the NW corner of WY, about 50 miles away...

https://image.ibb.co/dACrya/IMG_0235.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
09-18-2017, 05:10 PM
My nephew's latest addition to his truck collection... I kid him about the Fords but he loves them, and he loves them big. This is front of my older sister's house in Sheridan, MT...

https://image.ibb.co/m59bWv/20170903_111748.jpg