PDA

View Full Version : My ancestors had it rough, too

Abbey Marie
09-02-2017, 12:05 AM
But they didn't riot. They put their heads down and worked harder.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10831&stc=1

Abbey Marie
09-02-2017, 12:07 AM
And this:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10832&stc=1

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 06:59 AM
And this:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10832&stc=1

The Irish fought the discrimination a bit more I think, part of the reason I'm sure is they shared the language and the numbers coming over were huge. Without a doubt religious discrimination played a major role, (which was shared with the Italians), though much of it was the 'farmer' in the 'cities,' whether Boston, NY, or Chicago for examples. I read the following articles a few years ago, a case study if you will in 'revisionist history.'

The discrimination the Italians, the Irish, and others faced as immigrants, when the only 'restrictions' were mostly of the physical sort via Ellis and Angel Islands, was real. Heck, even in the mid-20th C in Chicago suburbs anti-Irish or at least anti-Catholic feelings were still evident in some Protestant enclaves.

With that said, they still managed to thrive. As I said, with the 'leg up' via being native English speakers, the Irish were able to ferret out the movement by others to exclude and how the planned discrimination would be effected. They responded by gaining citizenship as quickly as possible, voting as a bloc, running for office with the backing of their blocs. They added to setting up their own schools, hospitals, and social service groups-mostly through the rudimentary Catholic systems already in place. They used the relatively more accessible public sector of jobs in police, fire, and politics, (they were able to enter the country, the problem was the anti-immigrant fervor, not the government). Well first-responders were respected and yes, feared. They were able to gain the foothold into law making and execution of all laws, protecting themselves and others.

Without a doubt the issues that were problematic in the late 19th and early 20th C differ from the experience of many of those Asians coming through Angel Island or the issues confronting immigrants today or in the past 30 years or so. Most blacks did not get here voluntarily and racial discrimination, (such as with the Asians), is intrinsically different than those based on accents, language, or religion.

History regarding discrimination also plays a large part in any discussion of immigration legality or assimilation in general. Slavery and treatment of Native Americans being two examples. One of the things that moving more than 1/2 way across country has hit home has been the whole 'illegal immigrants' in a state that largely was once part of Mexico. It makes a difference than how it was viewed back in IL. In many ways it reminds me of the different experience of South v North regarding blacks.

In many ways it's surreal, the state, especially along the border has many more problems than eastern states regarding security and influx of people. On the other hand, there are substantial numbers of Mexicans who've been here since before there was a state. They are more 'indigenous' than those questioning the issues. Thus the split seen regarding Sheriff Joe or Senator Flake's stands on the border. Brings to mind the old refrain, "Nothing is as easy as it seems."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/the-teen-who-exposed-a-professors-myth

The Teen Who Exposed a Professor’s Myth

Rebecca Fried had no intention of preserving the record of a persecuted people whose strife was ready to be permanently written off in the eyes of history as exaggerated, imagined, or even invented.

That's because Rebecca was too busy trying to get through the 8th grade.

In 2002, University of Illinois-Chicago history professor Richard J. Jensen printed “No Irish Need Apply: A Myth of Victimization.” His abstract begins:

“Irish Catholics in America have a vibrant memory of humiliating job discrimination, which featured omnipresent signs proclaiming ‘Help Wanted—No Irish Need Apply!’ No one has ever seen one of these NINA signs because they were extremely rare or nonexistent.”

In short, those famous “No Irish Need Apply” signs—ones that proved Irish Americans faced explicit job discrimination in the 19th and 20th centuries? Professor Jensen came to the blockbuster conclusion that they never existed.

The theory picked up traction over the last decade, but seemed to reach an unexpected fever pitch in the last few months. Explainer websites this year used it to highlight popular myths of persecution complexes that are, as Vox put it, “stand-ins for an entire narrative about how immigrants are treated in America.” That’s from the lede of an article printed in March called “‘No Irish Need Apply’: the fake sign at the heart of a real movement.”

<aside class="SimpleAd SimpleAd--no-padding" id="gpt-ad-925636" data-google-query-id="CIaAmvyxhtYCFRJ_YgodLYUDig" style="padding: 0px;"><iframe id="google_ads_iframe_/68287174/iac.tdb-tdb.us.dw/us-news/content_1" title="3rd party ad content" name="google_ads_iframe_/68287174/iac.tdb-tdb.us.dw/us-news/content_1" width="1" height="1" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0" style="border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>
</aside>
Here, of course, is the problem: After only couple of hours Googling it, Rebecca, a 14-year-old, had found out these signs had, in fact, existed all along. Not only in newspaper listings—in which they appeared in droves—but, after further research, in shop windows, too.

The Irish were persecuted in the American job market—and precisely in the overt, literally written-down way that was always believed.

All of this would have been written off as a myth if it weren’t for Rebecca Fried, a rising high school freshman—who one of the preeminent scholars on the Irish diaspora in the United States now calls a “hero” and “quite extraordinary”—and who simply couldn’t believe it, either.

Rebecca never set out to prove the thesis wrong. She was just interested in an article her dad brought home from work one day.

“Now and then I bring home stuff for the kids to read if I think they will find it interesting or will convey some lesson,” says Michael Fried, Rebecca’s father. “Half the time they don’t read them at all. Sometimes they’ll read something if I suggest it. Nothing has ever come of any of these things other than this one.”

Rebecca wasn’t even trying to disprove her dad—let alone an academic at the University of Illiniois-Chicago. She just figured she’d Google the words and see what came up over 100 years ago.

“Just for the fun of it, I started to run a few quick searches on an online newspaper database that I found on Google,” she says. “I was really surprised when I started finding examples of NINA ads in old 19th-century newspapers pretty quickly.”

So she started collecting a handful of examples, then dozens, then more. She went to as many newspaper databases as she could. Then she thought, somebody had to have done this before, right?

“I didn’t see anything right away. This led me to wonder if it might be worth writing up in some form,” she says. “I showed my dad right away when I started finding these NINA ads. We just didn’t know whether this was already widely known and, if it wasn’t, whether it would be viewed as a topic worth considering for publication.”

Enter Kerby Miller, a newly retired history professor from the University of Missouri. He’s written everything from Guggenheim-funded books about the 18th-century Irish to the PBS documentary Out of Ireland with Paul Wagner. In 1986, he was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize for history.

“It was out of the blue on May 1st, May Day—which is sort of fortuitous, now that I think about it,” says Miller. May Day is International Workers' Day, which celebrates laborers worldwide.

They wanted to know if they were missing something. They weren’t.

In fact, for years, Miller wanted to know why everyone else was missing the opposite.

“From the first, my responses to Jensen’s claims had been strongly negative, as were those of a few other scholars, but, for various reasons, most historians, social scientists, journalists, et cetera accepted or even embraced Jensen’s arguments,” says Miller.

Miller says it all makes sense when you consider the parallels between Jensen’s arguments and the tone of anti-Irish propaganda after the Irish Civil War.

“This was a period dominated in Irish writing by those who collectively came to be known as ‘revisionists.’ What they did was, in some cases, take every traditional Irish Catholic belief concerning British Colonialists—some of which were heroic, even—and turn them upside down,” says Miller. “The British and Britain’s supporters were not to be seen as oppressors. They were now to be considered those taking down Irish Catholic oppression.”

Miller says it applies to all of Irish history, but recent history as well—even events and acts of persecution that the Irish lived through themselves.

“A lot of people were getting sick of this, but were afraid to speak out. They wanted to say it’s bullshit, but you would be regarded as an uncouth barbarian or an IRA sympathizer,” says Miller. “The narrative was that, ‘They should stop their whining! They weren’t victims! They weren’t oppressed!’”

He’d been trying to bat down the conclusions in Jensen’s paper (http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=paper) for 13 years. Miller says he knew something was fishy from the outset. First of all, he’d seen the advertisements years ago—well before something like Google Scholar made them easy to search for—as a graduate student at UC Berkeley in the 1970s. But something else tipped him off.

“Even more suspicious is that it seemed to fit into a political or ideological framework, in addition to his own writing, which was obviously polemically bent,” he says.
This is, after all, how the abstract in Jensen’s paper (http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=paper) ends:

“Some Americans feared the Irish because of their religion, their use of violence, and their threat to democratic elections. By the Civil War these fears had subsided and there were no efforts to exclude Irish immigrants. The Irish worked in gangs in job sites they could control by force. The NINA slogan told them they had to stick together against the Protestant Enemy, in terms of jobs and politics. The NINA myth justified physical assaults, and persisted because it aided ethnic solidarity. After 1940 the solidarity faded away, yet NINA remained as a powerful memory.”

Miller says he wrote to Jensen at one point to contest it.

“Jensen’s email response to my criticisms was that they were to be expected because I was an Irish-American and a Catholic,” says Miller.

“In fact, as I responded to him, I am neither.”

Miller says he realized this might be an unwinnable fight when he went to New Zealand to present some work and he was bombarded with questions on why he didn’t believe Jensen. One man asked who in his family was Irish Catholic. Miller kindly reminded the questioner that the answer is no one—until he remembered his wife is.

“They said, ‘That’s gotta be it!’ That’s why I’m sympathetic to these Irish rebel terrorist scum!” he says, laughing.

“I hadn’t realized how extraordinarily dominant Jensen’s argument had become. I don’t know if that says something about the hierarchy of power in academia, or the others who accepted it because they bought into this revisionist interpretation.”

He wasn’t alone. Miller could name other scholars who questioned Jensen’s motives. He even tried to talk some of them into writing about it.

“They knew from their own research—or strongly suspected—that Jensen’s arguments were wrong or fallacious,” he says. “They were just too busy [to refute it], or preferred not to.”

Then May Day came.

“We didn’t know who to contact, but we saw that Professor Jensen’s article cited Professor Miller as someone who had erroneously believed in NINA, so we thought he might be a good person to try,” says Rebecca. “And he was obviously an expert in this area.”

Miller opened up Rebecca’s thesis. He quickly realized all of the academics too busy to take on Jensen couldn’t have done it better than a 14-year-old.

“She didn’t need any help from me on what she did,” he says. “I’d be surprised if she changed a single word.”

Rebecca says Miller then helped her and her father walk through what a scholarly article should look like. After all, no one in Rebecca’s family is an academic. Her parents are lawyers, and a scholarly article is not a requirement to get out of the 8th grade.

“I don’t want people to think she did this because she got expert advice,” he says. “[Rebecca and Michael] truly deserve all of the credit.”

Then, on Independence Day—fortuitous again—it became official: Rebecca printed “No Irish Need Deny: Evidence for the Historicity of NINA Restrictions in Advertisements and Signs” in the Oxford Journal of Social History.

“The article concludes that Jensen’s thesis about the highly limited extent of NINA postings requires revision, and that the earlier view of historians generally accepting the widespread reality of the NINA phenomenon is better supported by the currently available evidence,” Rebecca writes in her abstract.

When a story was written about the findings on the Irish website IrishCentral.com, Jensen congratulated Rebecca for her scholarship in the comments section, but took issue with her conclusion.

“I’m the PhD who wrote the original article. I’m delighted a high school student worked so hard and wrote so well,” he writes. “No, she did not claim to find a single window sign anywhere in the USA.”

But Rebecca’s article does include that information. She made it clear in a reply.

“I do have to say that the article does in fact list a number of posted physical NINA signs, not just newspaper ads. Pages 6-7 catalogue a number of the signs,” she wrote.

Jensen retorted with a numerical list of all of the “No Irish Need Apply” signs he encountered in her essay—ending with, “That’s very rare. In Chicago, only 3 ads in over 50 years. How rare can you get?”

Then, ever politely, Fried dropped the hammer.

“Thanks again for the response. This discussion is really fun for me, and I appreciate the opportunity to have it,” she wrote. “Let me make one last point and then I promise I will shut up and give you the last word if you want it. You began this conversation by stating that the article ‘did not claim to find a single window sign anywhere in the USA.’ I think we now agree at least that this is not correct.”

She then makes a salient point: Even if it were 15 recorded instances per year or 1,500—the signs existed, the persecution was real, and discrimination of the Irish was not an imagined feeling, but a reality difficult to both express and quantify.

“NINA sign would be just as offensive and memorable to Irish-American and other viewers whether it was for a job, an apartment, a social club, a ‘freedom pole,’ or anything else,” she wrote.

Of course, then she ended with this:

“I’ll conclude by sincerely thanking you again for interacting with me on this. It is a real honor and I appreciate it.”

Later, Rebecca says she regretted how her comments came out, saying she "may have come off as insufficiently respectful."

“He has been doing scholarly work for decades before I was born, and the last thing I want to do was show disrespect for him and his work,” she says.
But Professor Miller says he could not possibly be more impressed.

“I have the utmost admiration and respect for her. I really just want to be in the background of this,” he says.
“Rebecca is the hero.”

Now, Rebecca says she might continue along this same path, “exploring other areas where digitized newspaper evidence might supply new historical insights.” She thinks there “might still be some low-hanging fruit for researchers.”

But maybe not. Maybe she’ll be something completely different. She’s 14 years old. She has to start high school in a month.

“For the longer term, it’s too early to tell,” she says. “But I’ve become really interested in history through this process, and I think that would be an incredibly fascinating career path.”

If she does want to be an historian, when she goes to college about a half-decade from now, it’ll be time for her to tell a story no one will believe, once again.

And, for a second time, Professor Miller will be happy to help her prove it.

“It is, indeed,” he says, “quite extraordinary.”

Elessar
09-02-2017, 08:09 AM
Germans and Austrians in the early 1900's had it rough as well in the USA.

My Great Grandfather came over from Austria at around 1902, and struggled but
managed to open a meat market in Cicero, Illinois. He left behind a lucrative candy
factory in Vienna (that is still in the family name to this day) to escape the
rising dangers of the government there prior to WWI.

revelarts
09-02-2017, 09:17 AM
But they didn't riot. They put their heads down and worked harder.

living in America

yep It was pretty bad for ANYONE who wasn't a WASP wasn't it? And it wasn't that long ago either. Things have changed a lot, the WASP rarely ever display that type of animosity toward Italians anymore. Whens the last time you've heard a serious Italian racial slur? Or heard it even rumored that someone wouldn't hire an Italian BECAUSE he was italian eventhough her resume is exactly the same as a WASP.

But to put a point on your clipping I'll mention the largest recorded mass lynching in the U.S..
It was 9 Italians hung, the riotous i mean "good people" of new Orleans knew better than a jury.

... the largest mass lynching in U.S. history took place in New Orleans in 1891 — and it wasn't African-Americans who were lynched, as many of us might assume. It was Italian-Americans.
After nine Italians were tried and found not guilty of murdering New Orleans Police Chief David Hennessy, a mob dragged them from the jail, along with two other Italians being held on unrelated charges, and lynched them all. The lynchings were followed by mass arrests of Italian immigrants throughout New Orleans, and waves of attacks against Italians nationwide.

What was the reaction of our country's leaders to the lynchings? Teddy Roosevelt, not yet president, famously said they were "a rather good thing." The response in The New York Times was worse. A March 16, 1891, editorial (http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0E17F7345F10738DDDAF0994DB405B 8185F0D3) referred to the victims of the lynchings as "... sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins." An editorial the next day argued that: (http://books.google.com/books?id=hWkQNm6MOxQC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=Cristogianni+Borsella+sneaking+and+cowardly+Sic ilians,+the+descendants+of+bandits+and+assassins&source=bl&ots=zH-dj7N289&sig=QrnY7AjBrShIf2tR5006nWQ3xog&hl=en&sa=X&ei=j037T6OHAYPi0QGCh5iGBw&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Cristogianni%20Borsella%20sneaking%20and%20cowar dly%20Sicilians%2C%20the%20descendants%20of%20band its%20and%20assassins&f=false)"Lynch law was the only course open to the people of New Orleans. ..."

"... sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins."

but Hmm, maybe he's got a point, don't the Italians have a reputation for a lot of organized criminal activity? "I'm just stating the FACTS."Sure there are some good ones but, Yep those d@mn Italians, we all know they were BORN to violence and come from criminals right?
People still say stuff like that right... not to their faces anymore ...but they still say and act on stuff like that all the time right?
Seems to me we don't. Most people know better now a days. Your nationality or heritage or race doesn't makes you a criminal or a rioter by default.

And look Abbey, you know that most blacks have "put their heads down and worked harder" over the centuries here as well.
It seems to me that whenever folks here want to point out how racist America ISN'T and how hard work and talent is ALL you need, they point to several of the super rich black Americans.
And I suspect that you've been served by several black people in your life that had their heads down and were working hard. Look 99% of black Americans alive today have NEVER been in a riot... and that goes back in time as well.

And as a matter of history many of the Riots in the U.S. have been WASP mobs starting riots against Blacks, Italians, Native Americans, Irish etc.. Killing people, burning down buildings and running whole groups of races out of towns for good in some cases.
But for the record, Italians and the Irish have in fact rioted on several occasions.
"The Mamaroneck riot was an armed clash between Irish and Italian-American laborers at Grand Park, Mamaroneck, New York on August 13, 1870 resulting in deaths of several men. One of the early labor riots to occur in the state, it became widely known at the time for its violence as several rioters were stabbed to death.
Relations between Irish and Italian-American laborers at Mamaroneck had generally been hostile, as would be seen elsewhere in the country during the late 19th century, as Irish laborers objected to management importing cheaper labor in the form of recently arrived Italian immigrants. This feeling of animosity would result several minor altercations two weeks prior to the incident."

On the afternoon of August 5, an altercation occurred between two groups of Irish and Italian-American workers who had been employed in the renovation of Mamaroneck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamaroneck_(town),_New_York). A large segment of Irish workers, who had yet to be paid off by a Mr. Wilson, had become angered that Wilson had already begun paying the 150 Italian immigrants recently employed by him.

even JEWS have rioted

<tbody>
1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan THE OBNOXIOUS BUTCHER ACCUSED of selling meat to Italians on his way to a Synagogue. Over fifteen hundred men, women and children participated in another meat riot at Brownsville this morning.

<tbody>
A wholesale meat dealer named George Davis was assaulted and injured and two policemen were quite seriously hurt. The policemen were endeavoring to escort Davis to a synagogue which he wished to attend when Davis was surrounded by the mob. It was not until the
reserves arrived that the man was rescued and the crowd dispersed.
The riot broke out about 10 o'clock this morning. It was the result of a meeting held at Metropolitan Saenger Hall in Pitkin avenue, where Davis was accused of refusing to close his shop and of selling meat to Italians. The police were also denounced for their interference in the disturbance of last Monday. Davis lives at 10 Belmont avenue, and when he started out from
his home the rioters were soon on his trick and in a short time the crowd swelled to thousands.

</tbody>

</tbody>

So yeah anyway, I doubt any of what i posted here matters, people ideas about race are slow to change for the positive or neutral/equal and any negative reenforcement seems to be amplified X3.
Somedays i think it's just the grace of God that the Human Race gets along with each other at all.

Maybe we should all act more on that "love thy neighbor" suggestion.

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 09:33 AM
I wish the country would DISCUSS these issues, without turning to arguing which was worse.

With few exceptions, we all have it better than our parents or their parents...

There are the bigots today, as there were decades and more ago. We need to build on lessons learned, by individuals and as a society. We need to let some of it go, but remember what the costs were in getting here-voluntarily or not.

We have to remember not just the legacies of hurt, but the legacies that are positive-again, by the individual and by society.

We'll likely never turn the hearts of all, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try. I'm pretty sure that is what Jesus would do.

jimnyc
09-02-2017, 11:23 AM
"The Mamaroneck riot was an armed clash between Irish and Italian-American laborers at Grand Park, Mamaroneck, New York on August 13, 1870 resulting in deaths of several men. One of the early labor riots to occur in the state, it became widely known at the time for its violence as several rioters were stabbed to death.
Relations between Irish and Italian-American laborers at Mamaroneck had generally been hostile, as would be seen elsewhere in the country during the late 19th century, as Irish laborers objected to management importing cheaper labor in the form of recently arrived Italian immigrants. This feeling of animosity would result several minor altercations two weeks prior to the incident."

On the afternoon of August 5, an altercation occurred between two groups of Irish and Italian-American workers who had been employed in the renovation of Mamaroneck. A large segment of Irish workers, who had yet to be paid off by a Mr. Wilson, had become angered that Wilson had already begun paying the 150 Italian immigrants recently employed by him.

** OT ***

My hometown! Mamaroneck is a decent town now, and still has a large Italian presence here. And at least ONE dirtbag lives here. :) :)

aboutime
09-02-2017, 01:38 PM
I personally wish 'rev' would finally FESS UP, and admit...how much hatred he actually feels for anyone who Doesn't Look, Think, and Agree with him.
It seems to be a common human trait to always feel the ONE-UPS-MANSHIP will win friends, and influence people. NOT TRUE. HONESTY, and TRUTH are better.

Black Diamond
09-02-2017, 02:08 PM
I personally wish 'rev' would finally FESS UP, and admit...how much hatred he actually feels for anyone who Doesn't Look, Think, and Agree with him.
It seems to be a common human trait to always feel the ONE-UPS-MANSHIP will win friends, and influence people. NOT TRUE. HONESTY, and TRUTH are better.
Good advice.

revelarts
09-02-2017, 02:41 PM

AT, maybe you should talk to people who start threads about how bad my people had it, and how they didn't do xyz instead of those responding to them.

But please if you would, just correct something i said in this thread that is NOT true... something that's not honest.
I suspect you won't.
You just don't like what i have to say, never have.
So you'll just do more name calling, more making up bad motives and intent you like to believe applies to me.

that's what you like to do.

aboutime
09-02-2017, 06:51 PM
AT, maybe you should talk to people who start threads about how bad my people had it, and how they didn't do xyz instead of those responding to them.

But please if you would, just correct something i said in this thread that is NOT true... something that's not honest.
I suspect you won't.
You just don't like what i have to say, never have.
So you'll just do more name calling, more making up bad motives and intent you like to believe applies to me.

that's what you like to do.

Once again rev. You confused, and inserted, what you call name calling, as what I call TELLING THE TRUTH. I have no reason to make anything up. Not with you, not with anyone. You are right about my not liking what you have to say. I tend to do that, and have no qualms about it when I see falsehoods, accusations, and finger pointing to distract from the truth.
YOU exposed your real feelings, and hypocrisy when you say "MY PEOPLE". For your information...WE ARE ALL OUR PEOPLE, if we are AMERICANS.
If you are convinced that because I was born white, that I, or members of my family, or neighbors OWE YOU something...like the Phony Reparation Excuses. Well then. You should FESS UP and just come out to tell me...WHY I OR ANY OTHER AMERICAN OWES YOU ANYTHING?
Of course, you, and others you call MY PEOPLE, do not really want to allow us Fellow Americans who look different....to talk about the problems by insisting we are all racist because we don't look like you. THAT...ALONE...IS DISHONEST OF YOU.

Abbey Marie
09-02-2017, 07:17 PM
Rev, you can point out all the anecdotes you want. The fact remains that most groups in this country did in fact work hard, and more importantly, refuse to live in the past or act with bitterness. And were given far, far less than people get today to do it.
I'm sorry that you cannot see this.

Black Diamond
09-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Rev, you can point out all the anecdotes you want. The fact remains that most groups in this country did in fact work hard, and more importantly, refuse to live in the past or act with bitterness. And were given far, far less than people get today to do it.
It's all Whiteys fault.

Abbey Marie
09-02-2017, 07:21 PM
It's all Whiteys fault.

No kidding. I guess Rev failed to notice in one of the examples that blacks were being paid more than Italians.

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 07:32 PM

I get what you're saying, when it comes to things like 'reparations' I'm in agreement. I just don't think a wrong can be righted this way.

What I also understand perhaps not so much from Rev, but on the topic per se, is that there are differences between the experiences of your Italian or my Irish ancestors, and those whose ancestors were not only victims of say religion or language or just being 'new comers' but also coupled with racism. There's no doubt that our ancestors were met by many in the US with prejudice and policies, lawful or not, in an attempt to keep them down or get them out. It was a hostile country, a rude awakening for many. Many failed, far more succeeded. Their children and grandchildren in nearly all cases fully assimilated.

When racism is also involved, losing an accent or keeping some cultural artifacts at home doesn't quite work. The skin, eyes, hair are part of the DNA that is physically there. Hispanics that look more 'Native' than 'Spanish or Italian' tend to be considered 'lower' in many instances. Asians not only have faced in some instances the camps during WWII, but their grandchildren are discriminated to this day in university admissions for 'doing too well.' Blacks have the skin and hair, not too mention the prejudices not only of other races, but so many of their own if they don't 'stay black enough.' Who the final jury on 'what's enough?' is out.

None of the above changes what any of our ancestors experienced, looking back today I can easily say that those citizens back then were plain wrong. They were, but they were as threatened then, as so many are today by those who are different.

I do wish we could all get to King's ideal of 'judging on character, not the color of skin...'

Abbey Marie
09-02-2017, 08:27 PM
I get what you're saying, when it comes to things like 'reparations' I'm in agreement. I just don't think a wrong can be righted this way.

What I also understand perhaps not so much from Rev, but on the topic per se, is that there are differences between the experiences of your Italian or my Irish ancestors, and those whose ancestors were not only victims of say religion or language or just being 'new comers' but also coupled with racism. There's no doubt that our ancestors were met by many in the US with prejudice and policies, lawful or not, in an attempt to keep them down or get them out. It was a hostile country, a rude awakening for many. Many failed, far more succeeded. Their children and grandchildren in nearly all cases fully assimilated.

When racism is also involved, losing an accent or keeping some cultural artifacts at home doesn't quite work. The skin, eyes, hair are part of the DNA that is physically there. Hispanics that look more 'Native' than 'Spanish or Italian' tend to be considered 'lower' in many instances. Asians not only have faced in some instances the camps during WWII, but their grandchildren are discriminated to this day in university admissions for 'doing too well.' Blacks have the skin and hair, not too mention the prejudices not only of other races, but so many of their own if they don't 'stay black enough.' Who the final jury on 'what's enough?' is out.

None of the above changes what any of our ancestors experienced, looking back today I can easily say that those citizens back then were plain wrong. They were, but they were as threatened then, as so many are today by those who are different.

I do wish we could all get to King's ideal of 'judging on character, not the color of skin...'

If blacks were recent immigrants, I could agree more. The point I am trying to make is that many groups experience pretty rough discrimination; yes, some worse than others. But after years go by, it's more than time to stop making excuses and start taking responsibility. And definitely time to rethink rioting and looting. Where I live, there are lots of black families in bigger, more expensive homes than mine. And luxury cars. It is eminently possible to get ahead. This isn't the thread to go into all that.

Suffice to say I know my grandfather came here with $18 in his pocket, and spoke zero English. He faced a lot of discrimination, but was thrilled to have whatever opportunities he could. Eventually he was able to buy a three bedroom home in a decent neighborhood. I believe anyone with a working body and mind can do that too. Regardless of skin color or ethnicity.

Gunny
09-02-2017, 08:48 PM
living in America

yep It was pretty bad for ANYONE who wasn't a WASP wasn't it? And it wasn't that long ago either. Things have changed a lot, the WASP rarely ever display that type of animosity toward Italians anymore. Whens the last time you've heard a serious Italian racial slur? Or heard it even rumored that someone wouldn't hire an Italian BECAUSE he was italian eventhough her resume is exactly the same as a WASP.

But to put a point on your clipping I'll mention the largest recorded mass lynching in the U.S..
It was 9 Italians hung, the riotous i mean "good people" of new Orleans knew better than a jury.

... the largest mass lynching in U.S. history took place in New Orleans in 1891 — and it wasn't African-Americans who were lynched, as many of us might assume. It was Italian-Americans.
After nine Italians were tried and found not guilty of murdering New Orleans Police Chief David Hennessy, a mob dragged them from the jail, along with two other Italians being held on unrelated charges, and lynched them all. The lynchings were followed by mass arrests of Italian immigrants throughout New Orleans, and waves of attacks against Italians nationwide.

What was the reaction of our country's leaders to the lynchings? Teddy Roosevelt, not yet president, famously said they were "a rather good thing." The response in The New York Times was worse. A March 16, 1891, editorial (http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FA0E17F7345F10738DDDAF0994DB405B 8185F0D3) referred to the victims of the lynchings as "... sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins." An editorial the next day argued that: (http://books.google.com/books?id=hWkQNm6MOxQC&pg=PA57&lpg=PA57&dq=Cristogianni+Borsella+sneaking+and+cowardly+Sic ilians,+the+descendants+of+bandits+and+assassins&source=bl&ots=zH-dj7N289&sig=QrnY7AjBrShIf2tR5006nWQ3xog&hl=en&sa=X&ei=j037T6OHAYPi0QGCh5iGBw&ved=0CCEQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=Cristogianni%20Borsella%20sneaking%20and%20cowar dly%20Sicilians%2C%20the%20descendants%20of%20band its%20and%20assassins&f=false)"Lynch law was the only course open to the people of New Orleans. ..."

"... sneaking and cowardly Sicilians, the descendants of bandits and assassins."

but Hmm, maybe he's got a point, don't the Italians have a reputation for a lot of organized criminal activity? "I'm just stating the FACTS."Sure there are some good ones but, Yep those d@mn Italians, we all know they were BORN to violence and come from criminals right?
People still say stuff like that right... not to their faces anymore ...but they still say and act on stuff like that all the time right?
Seems to me we don't. Most people know better now a days. Your nationality or heritage or race doesn't makes you a criminal or a rioter by default.

And look Abbey, you know that most blacks have "put their heads down and worked harder" over the centuries here as well.
It seems to me that whenever folks here want to point out how racist America ISN'T and how hard work and talent is ALL you need, they point to several of the super rich black Americans.
And I suspect that you've been served by several black people in your life that had their heads down and were working hard. Look 99% of black Americans alive today have NEVER been in a riot... and that goes back in time as well.

And as a matter of history many of the Riots in the U.S. have been WASP mobs starting riots against Blacks, Italians, Native Americans, Irish etc.. Killing people, burning down buildings and running whole groups of races out of towns for good in some cases.
But for the record, Italians and the Irish have in fact rioted on several occasions.

On the afternoon of August 5, an altercation occurred between two groups of Irish and Italian-American workers who had been employed in the renovation of Mamaroneck (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mamaroneck_(town),_New_York). A large segment of Irish workers, who had yet to be paid off by a Mr. Wilson, had become angered that Wilson had already begun paying the 150 Italian immigrants recently employed by him.

even JEWS have rioted

<tbody>
1,500 In Kosher Riot In Brownsville and Manhattan THE OBNOXIOUS BUTCHER ACCUSED of selling meat to Italians on his way to a Synagogue. Over fifteen hundred men, women and children participated in another meat riot at Brownsville this morning.

<tbody>
A wholesale meat dealer named George Davis was assaulted and injured and two policemen were quite seriously hurt. The policemen were endeavoring to escort Davis to a synagogue which he wished to attend when Davis was surrounded by the mob. It was not until the
reserves arrived that the man was rescued and the crowd dispersed.
The riot broke out about 10 o'clock this morning. It was the result of a meeting held at Metropolitan Saenger Hall in Pitkin avenue, where Davis was accused of refusing to close his shop and of selling meat to Italians. The police were also denounced for their interference in the disturbance of last Monday. Davis lives at 10 Belmont avenue, and when he started out from
his home the rioters were soon on his trick and in a short time the crowd swelled to thousands.

</tbody>

</tbody>

So yeah anyway, I doubt any of what i posted here matters, people ideas about race are slow to change for the positive or neutral/equal and any negative reenforcement seems to be amplified X3.
Somedays i think it's just the grace of God that the Human Race gets along with each other at all.

Maybe we should all act more on that "love thy neighbor" suggestion.Your retarded views are what never changes. MY ancestors came over here and fought for the damned place. They didn't just roll in expecting a good deal. They were getting screwed by the King of England, and persecuted for their religion, and being "lowly colonists". Their name was Addams. Maybe you've seen their name even in your convoluted history books.

Then, there's the redneck Alabama side that fought at King's Mountain. To not be told what to do by some asshat from England. They were Scots and had every reason to hate the English since they were already onl here because they were treated like shit by the Brits in their own country.

So cry me a river, Rev. He who gets f*cked last isn't the winner. They're just last.

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 09:19 PM
If blacks were recent immigrants, I could agree more. The point I am trying to make is that many groups experience pretty rough discrimination; yes, some worse than others. But after years go by, it's more than time to stop making excuses and start taking responsibility. And definitely time to rethink rioting and looting. Where I live, there are lots of black families in bigger, more expensive homes than mine. And luxury cars. It is eminently possible to get ahead. This isn't the thread to go into all that.

Suffice to say I know my grandfather came here with $18 in his pocket, and spoke zero English. He faced a lot of discrimination, but was thrilled to have whatever opportunities he could. Eventually he was able to buy a three bedroom home in a decent neighborhood. I believe anyone with a working body and mind can do that too. Regardless of skin color or ethnicity.

I don't disagree with much of what you said. I do agree that rioting, looting, etc., is not the way to get ahead, certainly it only gives reasons for those so inclined to say, "See, they really are animals."

The one item that we likely disagree on, hopefully respectfully, is the length of time that blacks 'immigrated.' They mostly didn't. No, the crime was not all the 'white man's fault,' nor does it give some of their progeny the right to 'riot or loot.'

The opportunities for blacks in greater numbers to have higher income and all the toys that go with that, has really only been commonly available since the mid-late 70's. Sure civil rights opened the universities up, while Brown had previously finally got around to evening the playing field. What took a lot longer was for some to begin to escape the neighborhoods in inner cities, that were bad for all, but worst in the poorest areas.

Do I think that racism has been eliminated, no. Likely an impossible result. Do I think it's been greatly mitigated? Yes. In general I'm against 'affirmative action' for any group, I think it hurts more than helps.

Gunny
09-02-2017, 09:51 PM
I don't disagree with much of what you said. I do agree that rioting, looting, etc., is not the way to get ahead, certainly it only gives reasons for those so inclined to say, "See, they really are animals."

The one item that we likely disagree on, hopefully respectfully, is the length of time that blacks 'immigrated.' They mostly didn't. No, the crime was not all the 'white man's fault,' nor does it give some of their progeny the right to 'riot or loot.'

The opportunities for blacks in greater numbers to have higher income and all the toys that go with that, has really only been commonly available since the mid-late 70's. Sure civil rights opened the universities up, while Brown had previously finally got around to evening the playing field. What took a lot longer was for some to begin to escape the neighborhoods in inner cities, that were bad for all, but worst in the poorest areas.

Even giving credence to the dates you use, the 70s was over 50 years ago. We've had a black President since then. So no goal is unattainable for them, and in many cases, they have an easier road than whites when t comes to a free ride up. Blacks have over-used race to the point that I'm surprised they haven't been told to just STFU already by now. Our sense of society is beyond bizarre. Our sense of history even moreso. Blacks have created who and what they are by THEIR words and deeds. They feel entitled because someone's made them feel that way.

Racism is kept alive by those who are getting rich from its existence. Only it isn't just the blacks anymore. It's every abnormal aberration within our society using this "great white" theory as an excuse to claim discrimination. They defy the laws of common sense, logic, God and Man and even nature. There shouldn't be a reward for being a loser crybaby thinking someone owes you something because your fragile psyche is hurt.

Black Diamond
09-02-2017, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=Kathianne;878561]I don't disagree with much of what you said. I do agree that rioting, looting, etc., is not the way to get ahead, certainly it only gives reasons for those so inclined to say, "See, they really are animals."

Even giving credence to the dates you use, the 70s was over 50 years ago. We've had a black President since then. So no goal is unattainable for them, and in many cases, they have an easier road than whites when t comes to a free ride up. Blacks have over-used race to the point that I'm surprised they haven't been told to just STFU already by now. Our sense of society is beyond bizarre. Our sense of history even moreso. Blacks have created who and what they are by THEIR words and deeds. They feel entitled because someone's made them feel that way.

Racism is kept alive by those who are getting rich from its existence. Only it isn't just the blacks anymore. It's every abnormal aberration within our society using this "great white" theory as an excuse to claim discrimination. They defy the laws of common sense, logic, God and Man and even nature. There shouldn't be a reward for being a loser crybaby thinking someone owes you something because your fragile psyche is hurt.
then there's race pimps.

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 10:08 PM

and what did I write that makes you think I've excused those that act badly? I don't with blacks, whites, or anyone else. Haters gonna hate, whatever hue they are or whatever sex they think they are.

Blacks are no more a monolithic group than you or I represent whites or even each other. We may have some similarities, but they are more cosmetic than anything else.

There's a huge chasm between excuse making and understanding what someone else was trying to say. More than that, it's the understanding of what has happened, the ability to discuss it and not just say, STFU, where we may reach a point of agreement.

Gunny
09-02-2017, 10:17 PM
and what did I write that makes you think I've excused those that act badly? I don't with blacks, whites, or anyone else. Haters gonna hate, whatever hue they are or whatever sex they think they are.

Blacks are no more a monolithic group than you or I represent whites or even each other. We may have some similarities, but they are more cosmetic than anything else.

There's a huge chasm between excuse making and understanding what someone else was trying to say. More than that, it's the understanding of what has happened, the ability to discuss it and not just say, STFU, where we may reach a point of agreement.You must just want to argue or something. :laugh:

revelarts
09-03-2017, 08:26 AM
Let me repeat upfront that I think rioting is COUNTER PRODUCTIVE and generally wrong.
And LOOTING is just another word for stealing, just plain ol fashion crime. If a white kid after a big football game does it or black kid after another seemingly unjustified police shooting does it. the actions are just criminal.

Abbey, I’m sorry you seemed to miss in my reply that i agreed with you that everyone had it hard. My anecdotes ...like yours... are examples of the point.
and i’m sorry that you don’t see that blacks have and do work hard as well… (well you do becasue many have nice cars in your area you say )
and i’m sorry you seem to think that blacks are just “bitter” about the past.

Look, I can’t speak for EVERY Black person, and you can’t speak for every Italian.
But personally I’m not “bitter” about the past. Hey I’m not waving a 150+ year old flag around about slavery, or mentioning the long civil rights battles that mainly wrapped up in the 70s everyday. I don’t even bring it up unless the conversation has something to do with it.

Like a few weeks back the conversation was about Drugs i believe, And i brought up the FACT -via a quote- that the Nixon administration TARGETED blacks and the anti-war left with the creation of the “war on drugs” as a purely political move, and that black communities have been the targets ever since.

Stating that is not “bitterness” that’s just “the facts” and those facts are PART of the reason for the higher incarceration rates and the BS “war on drugs” in general in lower income black and minority areas.
The only time bitterness ....or more like frustration... comes in is when people want DENY or minimize facts like that, as well as the follow on consequences that are PART of the reason why just “working hard” doesn't produce the same results for some people.

The drug war is going on NOW, the unfair ...and likely unnecessary... APPLICATION of the drug laws that focus on mainly poor Americans of all kinds is going on NOW. But it did start in the past and became part of wicked mix of obstacles.

So if there’s going to be a real conversation, just waving the hand and saying stuff like “people should just WORK HARD and everything will work out like for everyone else", is a bit dishonest. Bad Laws and unfair enforcement SHOULD be removed as well shouldn't they, maybe other BS obstacles in anyone's path as well?

But sure, yes, Absolutely, thankfully, overall it’s gotten FAR better and most every Americans can work hard to get a "3 bedroom house" etc.. But it doesn’t mean America is where it COULD be for even more people. And pointing out Americas blemish and flaws knowing that it can do even better is not bitterness.

Look Gunny says his ancestor LEFT England to get away from the various forms of oppression in England... BUT WAIT!!! Wait a minute!!! Why didn’t they just “WORK HARD” there?!.... Others STAYED in England and MADE IT over a few generations right?. So why did they come the the U.S. and complain and riot… i mean take up arms to fight and “not be told what to do by some asshat from England.” Also Why is he bringing up some old bitter grievances about the Scott's having some problems with England in the past?!?! Are the Scott's still bitter about that? they must be they keep bringing it up.... the Irish too.

And look, maybe if you look back you might find that Italians took part in various labor strikes and riots in the U.S. over the years as the country grew. Frankly complainers and noise makers are a part of the what’s made this country a progressively better place.

Now whether or not the all complaints are completely justified or partly justified or not justified at all is something that people should discuss, in the best cases, without finger pointing or blame. and with mutual respect.