PDA

View Full Version : Utah nurse wrongfully arrested

jimnyc
09-02-2017, 03:29 PM
revelarts

What sayeth thou on this one, Rev?

I think this is all kinds of messed up. This is to protect both the police and the patient, and this dirtbag of a cop wants to arrest her for following the law and protocol? He's since been placed on leave - but IMO, which I'm sure they won't do, I think he needs to be 86'd aka shitcanned aka fired.

First the video and the story beneath.

---

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=a88c9eadd916" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being handcuffed after refusing to take blood from unconscious victim

A nurse says she was assaulted and illegally arrested by a Salt Lake City police detective for following a hospital policy that does not allow blood draws from unconscious patients.

Footage from University Hospital and officer body cameras shows Detective Jeff Payne and nurse Alex Wubbels in a standoff over whether the policeman should be allowed to get a blood sample from a patient who had been injured in a July 26 collision in northern Utah that left another driver dead.

Wubbels says blood cannot be taken from an unconscious patient unless the patient is under arrest, unless there is a warrant allowing the draw or unless the patient consents. The detective acknowledges in the footage that none of those requirements is in place, but he insists that he has the authority to obtain the draw, according to the footage.

At one point, Payne threatens to take Wubbels to jail if he doesn’t get the sample, and he accuses her of interfering with a criminal case.

“I either go away with blood in vials or body in tow,” Payne says.

After Wubbels consults with several hospital officials and repeats the policy, Payne tells her she is under arrest and grabs her, pulling her arms behind her back and handcuffing her. The footage shows the detective dragging Wubbels out of the hospital and putting her inside a patrol car as she screams, “Help! Help! Somebody help me! Stop! Stop! I did nothing wrong!”

A University of Utah police officer and other officers, who provide security for the hospital, were present at time of the arrest and did not intervene.

As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.

Rest here - http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/31/utah-nurse-arrested-after-complying-with-hospital-policy-that-bars-taking-blood-from-unconscious-victim/

Kathianne
09-02-2017, 06:47 PM
IMO the story here is the cop acted like a jackass. He may not have been aware of a change in the law, it was not one for that long. In any case, his behavior alone should have led to punishment.

revelarts
09-03-2017, 07:01 AM
@revelarts (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1760)

What sayeth thou on this one, Rev?

I think this is all kinds of messed up. This is to protect both the police and the patient, and this dirtbag of a cop wants to arrest her for following the law and protocol? He's since been placed on leave - but IMO, which I'm sure they won't do, I think he needs to be 86'd aka shitcanned aka fired.

First the video and the story beneath.

---

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=a88c9eadd916" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Video shows Utah nurse screaming, being handcuffed after refusing to take blood from unconscious victim

A nurse says she was assaulted and illegally arrested by a Salt Lake City police detective for following a hospital policy that does not allow blood draws from unconscious patients.

Footage from University Hospital and officer body cameras shows Detective Jeff Payne and nurse Alex Wubbels in a standoff over whether the policeman should be allowed to get a blood sample from a patient who had been injured in a July 26 collision in northern Utah that left another driver dead.

Wubbels says blood cannot be taken from an unconscious patient unless the patient is under arrest, unless there is a warrant allowing the draw or unless the patient consents. The detective acknowledges in the footage that none of those requirements is in place, but he insists that he has the authority to obtain the draw, according to the footage.

At one point, Payne threatens to take Wubbels to jail if he doesn’t get the sample, and he accuses her of interfering with a criminal case.

“I either go away with blood in vials or body in tow,” Payne says.

After Wubbels consults with several hospital officials and repeats the policy, Payne tells her she is under arrest and grabs her, pulling her arms behind her back and handcuffing her. The footage shows the detective dragging Wubbels out of the hospital and putting her inside a patrol car as she screams, “Help! Help! Somebody help me! Stop! Stop! I did nothing wrong!”

A University of Utah police officer and other officers, who provide security for the hospital, were present at time of the arrest and did not intervene.

As he stands in the hospital parking lot after the arrest, Payne says to another officer that he wonders how this event will affect an off-duty job transporting patients for an ambulance company.

Rest here - http://www.sltrib.com/news/2017/08/31/utah-nurse-arrested-after-complying-with-hospital-policy-that-bars-taking-blood-from-unconscious-victim/

Yes, I agree with you. He should be fired. AND CHARGED with false arrest, harassment and anything else on the books. Sadly, that cop, and too many others, seem to think that anything they want is legal and any refusal is illegal.

A few weeks ago I called the cops about a break in at semi-vacant home in my neighborhood. the Guys were slightly friendlier versions of Joe Fridays. They seemed very concerned about following the law and determining the bounders of ownerships and tenets and their official range of authority to enter the home even though the glass on the door was busted out. Seemed a bit over cautious to me but I really respect the fact that they didn't ASSUME the authority to bust in someone home, or overstep their authority even in a seemingly obvious crime scene.

But the cop in this story should be GONE YESTERDAY. And the nurse should get a freaking medal or something for following the law.

Concerning the law. I think that's a step in the right direction if it was LESS than that before. I think the law should go further in protecting people's right NOT to give up bodily fluids without consent. Seems to me that BY DEFAULT no one should be able to get a warrant to force you to pee in a cup or give blood to PROVE you committed a crime.
The same as they can't force you to speak. A warrant for personal property is one thing, but to force people to give up bodily fluids without full consent, that's another seems to me.

revelarts
09-06-2017, 06:50 AM
Update

The Salt Lake City hospital where a police officer roughly arrested a nurse who was protecting her patient's rights in July will no longer allow law enforcement agents inside its patient care areas. They'll now have to check in rather than enter through the emergency room.
"Law enforcement who come to the hospital for any reason involving patients will be required to check in to the front desk of the hospital," said chief nursing officer Margaret Pearce of the University of Utah Hospital. "There, a hospital house supervisor will meet the officers to work through each request."
Hospital officials say they created the policy one day after the July incident (http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/01/547840028/-somebody-help-me-utah-nurse-cried-as-police-detective-roughly-arrested-her) in which nurse Alex Wubbels refused to allow a police investigator identified as Jeff Payne to get a blood sample from a patient who was injured in a deadly collision with another driver. Wubbels was following the hospital's policy (and a recent Supreme Court decision) that requires either a warrant, the patient's consent or the patient being under arrest for such a sample to be obtained legally.
Last year, the Supreme Court ruled (https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/15pdf/14-1468_8n59.pdf) that the Fourth Amendment bars blood tests from being obtained without a warrant in drunken-driving cases.
"Our hospital continues to offer our full support to Alex," said Gordon Crabtree, the hospital system's CEO. "I think many of you know she is an Olympian, and to us she's truly an Olympic-size hero. We extend our appreciation for her dedication and service."...
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/09/05/548601099/calling-nurse-a-hero-utah-hospital-bars-police-from-patient-care-areas

"bad apples" make it harder for everyone.

revelarts
09-06-2017, 07:01 AM
I have to ask if you're in situation like the nurse, and there were NO cameras, do you think others would ASSUME that you HAD done SOMETHING wrong to deserve arrest?
Especially If the cop said that you had been "disrespectful" or "aggressive" in your refusal to obey his commands.
How could you prove otherwise?

And on the occasions when cops give UNlawful orders, what are the best option?

Kathianne
09-06-2017, 07:12 AM
I have to ask if you're in situation like the nurse, and there were NO cameras, do you think others would ASSUME that you HAD done SOMETHING wrong to deserve arrest?
Especially If the cop said that you had been "disrespectful" or "aggressive" in your refusal to obey his commands.
How could you prove otherwise?

And on the occasions when cops give UNlawful orders, what are the best option?

I don't see anyone disagreeing with the fault in this case. Indeed, I think the point you make here illustrates the reasons for body cams and perhaps a rationale for where doubt of events should fall when they are 'off.' The problem is that they have legitimately failed, perhaps redundancy needs to be put into effect.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-06-2017, 08:51 AM
I watched that video and it made my blood boil! Not only was the nurse fully explaining why she had to refuse but she did nothing to insult or cause such unwarranted and completely illegal action/wrath..
Not only should that cop be fired but he should be hunted down and have his sorry ass stomped , IMHO...
AND YES, I HAVE SEEN STUFF AS BAD AS THAT DONE BY COPS MYSELF, OVER 40 YEARS AGO.

IF THAT WERE MY WIFE BEING SO ATTACKED, I WOULD NOT EVER REST UNTIL I HUNTED THAT BASTARD DOWN AND DELIVERED SOME JUSTICE UNTO THAT FFING MAGGOT.

Let that kind of vermin try that crap down here. Even if it took years, they would eventually have to pay, more than just being reprimanded or fired..

Who can watch that video and not get mad as hell and want to stomp that piece of shit guy ?????

You can have no true concept of just how much I'd like to teach that ffing piece of shit a damn fine lesson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! -Tyr

jimnyc
10-11-2017, 08:36 AM
Justice.

Utah Police Officer Who Violently Arrested Nurse Fired from His Job

A Utah police officer who forcibly arrested a nurse for refusing to let him draw blood from an unconscious patient has been fired.

A Salt Lake City Police spokesman told the Associated Press (AP) Tuesday that Chief Mike Brown decided to fire Detective Jeff Payne following an investigation into his conduct.

Body camera footage caught Payne on film dragging the nurse, Alex Wubbels, outside the University of Utah Medical Center in Salt Lake City and arresting her for refusing to allow police to draw blood from a patient without consent.

Wubbels told the officers that they could not draw blood from the patient unless they had the patient’s consent, a warrant, or a valid reason to arrest the patient.

Payne responded that he would “leave with blood in vials or body in tow” when he dragged Wubbels from the hospital and placed handcuffs on her. Wubbels was not charged with a crime and was released.

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/10/utah-police-officer-forcibly-arrested-nurse-fired-job/

darin
10-11-2017, 09:07 AM
Good. I wonder what kinda settlement he got.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-11-2017, 10:48 AM
Now it's time to sue the asshole into oblivion and charged with a civil suit, aggravated assault, unlawful arrest, just keep the charges coming until he goes to prison.

NightTrain
10-11-2017, 12:45 PM
I've run across a few dirty cops like this one a few times; thankfully most are professionals doing their job properly.

This guy needs to be sued into oblivion for abusing his power, as all that do so should be - if not jail time.

I'm a firm believer in body cams protecting everyone concerned. It should be mandatory for all LE personnel when interacting with John Q. Public.

darin
10-12-2017, 12:43 AM
Do you believe he's dirty or just dumb?

Abbey Marie
10-12-2017, 06:20 AM
Do you believe he's dirty or just dumb?

I'd say neither. I'd describe him as someone who probably became a cop so he can bully people.

I know literally everyone here is 100% on the nurse's side. And I am too, because she was doing her job.

But three things:
I don't like videos that fail to show the whole story- how things got to the point we are witnessing. So often, there are reasons things unfolded as they did and we have no idea. So I withhold judgment until I see that.

Second, I don't like when people get extra-dramatic for the camera. Which this nurse did, imo, when she started screaming.

Finally, I get the point that this guys rights under the 4th Amendment would be abridged to have his blood drawn while unconscious. I'm just not sure that I agree with it.

Having said all that, the cop acted in a brutish manner, and I have no problem with consequences for that.