PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Irma

Kathianne
09-05-2017, 06:44 PM
I used to obsess about FL hurricanes when my parents lived by Vero Beach. I always freaked they 'wouldn't get out in time,' they always did. They never waited for the evacuation orders, they were long gone. Small ones would find them in Atlanta; larger ones would be a good reason for them to head back to Chicago. As my dad always said, "That's why I'm paying a f'ing fortune in homeowners/flood insurance."

My niece, her husband, and one year old moved to Tampa at the beginning of August. Tampa, on the water. High rise.

Just was texting with my brother, they've got a room in Atlanta if necessary; have all supplies in if they can stay. He said they will decide tomorrow whether or not to hit the road.

Gunny
09-05-2017, 07:38 PM
I used to obsess about FL hurricanes when my parents lived by Vero Beach. I always freaked they 'wouldn't get out in time,' they always did. They never waited for the evacuation orders, they were long gone. Small ones would find them in Atlanta; larger ones would be a good reason for them to head back to Chicago. As my dad always said, "That's why I'm paying a f'ing fortune in homeowners/flood insurance."

My niece, her husband, and one year old moved to Tampa at the beginning of August. Tampa, on the water. High rise.

Just was texting with my brother, they've got a room in Atlanta if necessary; have all supplies in if they can stay. He said they will decide tomorrow whether or not to hit the road.FL hurricanes suck. You never know what they are going to do. We lived in Key West when Camille hit in 68. The whole island was under water. Once it entered the Gulf, it hit New Orleans.

Supposedly, this time, there's a high pressure system keeping it away from us and it's expected to turn back NNE after entering the Gulf. Which means it can hit anywhere in FL or the Gulf Coast. You saw how Harvey had a dead bead on us and came within 40 miles, then just reversed course.

My father lives in Navarre, by Pensacola. Unless he's been replaced by someone who is not my father, he'll ride it out. Hard-headed old man.

Bilgerat
09-06-2017, 05:08 AM
Looks like I'm fracked. Heading right up the center of the damn State and I live just north of that lake where the lasm "M" sits. :death:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT11/refresh/AL112017_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/085945_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Kathianne
09-06-2017, 06:54 AM
Looks like I'm fracked. Heading right up the center of the damn State and I live just north of that lake where the lasm "M" sits. :death:

Pack, board, leave, pray.

Get out of its way.

Abbey Marie
09-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Sorry, Bilge, hope you can stay safe...

aboutime
09-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Don't hang around Bilge. Get the family and move if they tell you to. Stay safe. You know as well as the rest of us...This One is a BIG BAD MOFO....so to speak. Take no chances. Good luck. Prayers are with you.

Bilgerat
09-06-2017, 01:55 PM
OK, I'm liking this better than the other

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/AT11/refresh/AL112017_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind+png/175630_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Bilgerat
09-06-2017, 01:56 PM
This guy is a hater (lol)

https://scontent-mia3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/21317773_1538642059529888_7542366900554581768_n.jp g?oh=0f74b4325d14d6fb0a6896d80489cc43&oe=5A14AC5A

aboutime
09-06-2017, 02:25 PM
Hate to say it, though I also live in the possible path. BUT cartoons like that Sometimes are needed to get through to the IDIOTS, and PARTY JOKERS who don't heed the warnings. Laughing at such threats, and ignoring them make words like YOU GONNA DIE almost become Reality for many.

jimnyc
09-06-2017, 04:27 PM
Wow, get out of dodge if you can Bilge. They're saying this is bigger than Andrew, if it goes as expected. If anyone recalls Andrew, it completely devastated portions of Florida. A repeat or worse will likely be just as bad. :(

My Dad is in Port Charlotte and is boarding up some of his bigger windows. He has the generator ready to go and plenty of gas. He's pretty damn far south, but at least on the west side. Either way, even remotely in this path will see some serious winds and damage probably. He said locally, the stores are empty of anything and everything of need, and a lot of folks heading north. I'd rather they bail, but he's a stubborn man and gonna do what he's gonna do. I'm hoping it dulls and heads out into the eastern waters and dies out.

--

Florida Gov. Scott Warns: Irma Is 'Bigger Than Andrew'

Florida Gov. Rick Scott Wednesday urged residents of his state to "be as aggressive as we are" in planning for the approach of monster storm Hurricane Irma.

"We're going to have wind, rain, and storm surge," Scott told ABC's "Good Morning America" program. "We don't know where it will hit, likely Fort Myers and Naples, as is Miami. The Keys are already evacuating."

The storm will bring wind, rain and storm surge, and "water could cover your house, so I want everybody to understand the importance of this. This is bigger than Andrew," he said, referring to the last Category 5 storm to hit the U.S., which occurred in 1992. "It will have more storm surge than Andrew and it sure looks like it will barrel right down the middle of the state of Florida."

He reiterated those warnings in a news conference later Wednesday morning.

Andrew, which hit South Florida in the middle of the night on Aug. 24, 1992, was one of just three Category 5 hurricanes to make landfall in the United States, reports USA Today. The storm killed 65 people and caused $27 billion in damages.

Irma is already a Category 5 hurricane, and has sustained winds of 185 mph and gusts up to 200 mph. Wednesday afternoon, forecasts call for the storm to head north of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, meaning the storm will cause strong winds and heavy rain, but will spare them a direct hit. Irma is expected to approach mainland Florida and the Keys Sunday morning.

Rest - http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/rick-scott-warns-hurricane-irma-bigger/2017/09/06/id/811915/

Abbey Marie
09-06-2017, 11:07 PM
jimnyc your Dad should have moved to Delaware!

jimnyc
09-07-2017, 01:45 PM
jimnyc your Dad should have moved to Delaware!

I agree, and wish he did. :(

Gunny
09-07-2017, 07:34 PM
Yep. Got family in Irma's path from Miami to Jax. OH F*CK YEAH!!! MY ex wife is in Miami :D :D :D Bummer :laugh:.

gabosaurus
09-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Hate to say it, though I also live in the possible path. BUT cartoons like that Sometimes are needed to get through to the IDIOTS, and PARTY JOKERS who don't heed the warnings. Laughing at such threats, and ignoring them make words like YOU GONNA DIE almost become Reality for many.

Speaking of which, I was just watching CNN. One of their correspondents was at a bar in Key Largo, where about 100 people vowed to "ride out the storm." Because, as the owner stated, "if you live here, that's what you do. You don't leave."

To which I thought "Dude, you are going to leave in a body bag. If they can find your corpse."

Balu
09-07-2017, 09:39 PM
Although we, Russians, have NO reasons to love you - Americans, I really wish you all are lucky and this thread bypass you, your families and relatives.

aboutime
09-07-2017, 09:55 PM
Speaking of which, I was just watching CNN. One of their correspondents was at a bar in Key Largo, where about 100 people vowed to "ride out the storm." Because, as the owner stated, "if you live here, that's what you do. You don't leave."

To which I thought "Dude, you are going to leave in a body bag. If they can find your corpse."

Wonder if the CNN jerks know how to swim??? Anyone down there in the Keys PROBABLY will NOT survive the 10 foot Surge. Key West is nearly below high tide on a normal day. As for the BODY BAGS...no need. The sharks will enjoy their KEY WEST meals for weeks.

Kathianne
09-08-2017, 05:55 PM
NOAH now saying Irma will likely hit FL coast as Cat 5, it's strengthening over the 90 degree waters.

Gunny
09-08-2017, 06:25 PM

To which I thought "Dude, you are going to leave in a body bag. If they can find your corpse."Very much true. That "bar" on Key Largo is the Caribbean Club. It's where they filmed the movie "Key Largo".

Was trying to explain that to my daughter since most of my family is staying. I've stayed through them. i'm not sure what the mentality is because it isn't trying to prove anything. I think it's more like people would rather deal with the storm than trying to get supplies and get out. It IS a huge pain in the ass.

I sort of hesitated to say anything because I certainly don't want anyone thinking I am suggesting they do anything other than what they already have planned. I'm just saying how it is.

As far as the Caribbean Club? My ass would I try to ride out a storm THERE. I went through Camille in the Keys. You lose power and water, and if the storm kills "THE" bridge to the mainland, you are screwed indefinitely. IIRC, we had no power for 3-4 days, no fresh water for a couple of weeks (the Navy brought it in -- we were on NAS Key West) and I don't remember how long without power. Our 2nd story apt in base housing was flooded, and the entire island was under water. It was knee-deep for me after we got out of the shelter, so a few days after the storm.

Gunny
09-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Wonder if the CNN jerks know how to swim??? Anyone down there in the Keys PROBABLY will NOT survive the 10 foot Surge. Key West is nearly below high tide on a normal day. As for the BODY BAGS...no need. The sharks will enjoy their KEY WEST meals for weeks.We couldn't leave. was a lot different times in 68. You had to drive to Miami just to find a small airport. My father worked at NAS and was required to stay. We all stayed in the bomb shelters and ate c-rats. I thought it was fun as kid :laugh:.

revelarts
09-08-2017, 09:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJ8tXTcCfE

Elessar
09-09-2017, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmJ8tXTcCfE

That is just plain nuts! ↑

Kathianne
09-09-2017, 10:37 AM
Well Irma wobbled and now is predicted to go west instead of east. Unfortunately that's the opposite of what many people did, the shelters closest to my niece are full and there is no way they'd make it to Atlanta with traffic or if they'd even be safe there if they tried.

They are staying put. They're on the 6th floor of high rise, completed just in 2015. The windows are tempered and there are deployed storm shutters on all. She said they have enough food, water, diapers, etc., for at least a week. The building though is water front.

So prayers for Tampa and all of FL and effected areas.

jimnyc
09-09-2017, 01:08 PM
My Dad is in Port Charlotte and Irma is now going to hit him and his home head on. He's out there now, and has been, boarding everything up. His area near Punta Gorda, is expected to get hammered. I wish he had left when he could have, but I think the thought was that it was going to hit the east side, and riding it out on the west side wouldn't have been as rough.

Kathianne
09-09-2017, 01:35 PM
My Dad is in Port Charlotte and Irma is now going to hit him and his home head on. He's out there now, and has been, boarding everything up. His area near Punta Gorda, is expected to get hammered. I wish he had left when he could have, but I think the thought was that it was going to hit the east side, and riding it out on the west side wouldn't have been as rough.

He's in my prayers too. That thinking, 'that it was going east' also played into my niece and husband's choice to stay in Tampa. By the time the wobble happened, a safe evacuation was closed. Folks from the east came west, then the hotels started to evacuate and those people went to the shelters. The roads are too congested going north, so they are going to ride it out.

Prayers for all.

jimnyc
09-09-2017, 01:41 PM
He's in my prayers too. That thinking, 'that it was going east' also played into my niece and husband's choice to stay in Tampa. By the time the wobble happened, a safe evacuation was closed. Folks from the east came west, then the hotels started to evacuate and those people went to the shelters. The roads are too congested going north, so they are going to ride it out.

Prayers for all.

No place for many to go. Folks from Florida need to go to at least NW Florida at a minimum to find a place, if lucky. Many hit and are still heading to Georgia, and many were heading a little west.

I hope Dad is ok, I'm real concerned after it changed coasts AND is predicted to make landfall right in his area. I'm hoping that maybe it'll either head out to the gulf or maybe even inland and die down a little.

Kathianne
09-09-2017, 01:49 PM
No place for many to go. Folks from Florida need to go to at least NW Florida at a minimum to find a place, if lucky. Many hit and are still heading to Georgia, and many were heading a little west.

I hope Dad is ok, I'm real concerned after it changed coasts AND is predicted to make landfall right in his area. I'm hoping that maybe it'll either head out to the gulf or maybe even inland and die down a little.

Yeah, I hear you. From what I've been reading it looks to be hitting Tampa at high tide, worse than if not.