PDA

View Full Version : Conservatives Mock LA Times for Saying Berkeley Is 'Bracing' for Shapiro

jimnyc
09-11-2017, 02:16 PM
With the retarded comparisons aside, they do have a problem with allowing folks to speak their minds there. I'm confident they could if they want to, but they chose the opposite route and allowed NOT allowing folks to speak freely into even more of a spectacle. The concern is THAT overwhelming that students won't feel safe, or don't feel like they no longer belong, because of a speech they don't even have to listen to or attend if they choose not to, obviously? I don't think I wrote the word "snowflake" but maybe one time, but this type of stuff is likely why it's stuck. :(

The way they are handling the upcoming event - is it because they fear of their own students? That folks on the right will somehow go crazy? That perhaps antifa folks will show up? I'm voting that nothing happens other than your "typical" protesting, unless antifa shows up, then you will see some violence wherever they happen to be.

---

Conservatives Mock LA Times for Saying Berkeley Is 'Bracing' for Shapiro

Conservatives were highly amused by a Los Angeles Times headline that suggested the University of California-Berkeley was "bracing" for Ben Shapiro's upcoming appearance.

First there was Hurricane Harvey, then Irma, and now Ben.

https://i.imgur.com/nsg1QeT.png

In what sounds like a perfect script for a "Saturday Night Live" skit, Shapiro's appearance at the school has caused mass panic among faculty and students. Because of his conservative ideology, Berkeley has supposedly been forced to use more resources than normal.

As Provost Paul Alivisatos explained, there will be a “closed perimeter” around the building where Shapiro is scheduled to speak, and an “increased and highly visible police presence.”

The school even felt it necessary to offer counseling sessions for students who may feel triggered by Shapiro's presence.

“We are deeply concerned about the impact some speakers may have on individuals’ sense of safety and belonging,” Alivisatos said in the memo posted on the university’s website. “No one should be made to feel threatened or harassed simply because of who they are or for what they believe.”

Berkeley has had a heck of a year. The school, which once prided itself on free speech, has been the constant scene of controversy. First, we witnessed the violent protests that erupted over former Breitbart writer Milo Yiannopoulos's scheduled speech. More protests were planned for Ann Coulter, before the group that was hosting her withdrew their invitation. Both events were cancelled.

Rest - https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2017/09/11/berkeley-braces-for-shapiro-n2379754