PDA

View Full Version : Dems Want To Raise Gas Tax

red states rule
08-10-2007, 06:16 AM
Here we go again folks, another lib wanting to raise your taxes

Oberstar wants 5-cents-a-gallon gas tax hike for nation’s bridges
AP Associated Press
Published Thursday, August 09, 2007

WASHINGTON — House Transportation Committee Chairman Jim Oberstar on Wednesday proposed a temporary gas tax increase of 5 cents a gallon, that would pay for a new trust fund to repair, replace and rehabilitate structurally deficient bridges on the National Highway System.

Oberstar, D-Minn., made the proposal as part of a plan aimed at fixing such bridges and preventing a repeat of last week’s bridge collapse in Minneapolis, which killed at least five people and injured about 100.

But it got an immediate cold shoulder from the committee’s top Republican

The trust fund would be modeled on the federal Highway Trust Fund, which pays for building and repairing roads and bridges through the gasoline tax. Money in the new trust fund could not be used for any other purpose than bridges.

At a news conference announcing the plan just upstream from the bridge collapse site, Oberstar said he was confident he could get support from the Bush administration.

“Governor (Tim) Pawlenty has had a conversion, and I expect the president will as well,” Oberstar said. “At least we’ll give him that opportunity.”

Last week, the Minnesota governor said he is willing to reverse his long-standing opposition to a state gas tax increase.

“If you’re not prepared to invest another five cents in bridge reconstruction and road reconstruction,” Oberstar said, “then God help you.”

Oberstar’s plan is to increase the gas tax, which is currently 18.3 cents a gallon, for three years, which he said would bring in about $25 billion in additional revenue.

The U.S. Department of Transportation did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages seeking comment on the proposal.

The Transportation Committee’s top Republican, Rep. John Mica of Florida, panned Oberstar’s plan, calling it a “Band-Aid approach to a critical national transportation infrastructure problem.”

“A knee-jerk reaction to the critical problem facing our transportation and infrastructure systems will only result in a continued failure to address the deteriorating conditions of our highways, ports, airports, and rail systems,” Mica said in a statement. “It’s like owning an 80-year old house that has serious problems with the plumbing, the heating, the foundation, and a leaking roof, and saying you’re going to fix the driveway.”

He called instead for the development of a national strategic transportation plan.

for the complete the article

http://www.wctrib.com/articles/index.cfm?id=23096&section=News

Trigg
08-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Oberstar’s plan is to increase the gas tax, which is currently 18.3 cents a gallon, for three years, which he said would bring in about $25 billion in additional revenue.

The U.S. Department of Transportation did not immediately return phone and e-mail messages seeking comment on the proposal.

The Transportation Committee’s top Republican, Rep. John Mica of Florida, panned Oberstar’s plan, calling it a “Band-Aid approach to a critical national transportation infrastructure problem.”

“A knee-jerk reaction to the critical problem facing our transportation and infrastructure systems will only result in a continued failure to address the deteriorating conditions of our highways, ports, airports, and rail systems,” Mica said in a statement. “It’s like owning an 80-year old house that has serious problems with the plumbing, the heating, the foundation, and a leaking roof, and saying you’re going to fix the driveway.”

1. IF they added .05 they'd never take it off.
2. Loved the reply "Band-Aid approach"!!!!!!!

JohnDoe
08-10-2007, 01:05 PM
I had heard that it was a Republican that had initially proposed this....raising the federal gas tax....not just Dems....

So I looked it up and here is what I found:

WASHINGTON - The Minneapolis bridge disaster that suddenly is the symbol of the nation's crumbling infrastructure could tip the scales in favor of billions of dollars in higher gasoline taxes for repairs coast to coast.

There are 500 bridges around the country similar to the Minneapolis span, and "these are potential deathtraps," says Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, former chairman of the House Transportation Committee.

"We have to, as a Congress, grasp this problem. And yes, I would even suggest, fund this problem with a tax," he says. "May the sky not fall on me."

All of this being cleared up....

I will fight the Dems on this particular type tax, to fund this, tooth and nail. There is already enough money in the gas tax revenues to fund these emergency needs, just stop funding bridges to no where.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/07/ap3995988.html

red states rule
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
I had heard that it was a Republican that had initially proposed this....raising the federal gas tax....not just Dems....

So I looked it up and here is what I found:

All of this being cleared up....

I will fight the Dems on this particular type tax, to fund this, tooth and nail. There is already enough money in the gas tax revenues to fund these emergency needs, just stop funding bridges to no where.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/07/ap3995988.html

I hope the Republican will soon be FORMER Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska. As far as the gas tax increase, it is only the beginning. Dems want to repeal all the Bush tax cuts and heap even more tax increases on you

Is this the "compassion" I hear libs have for all of us? I wish they would hate us a lttle more - it would be a hell of alot cheaper