PDA

View Full Version : Bushs and Reagan would not win if they ran today

revelarts
09-13-2017, 02:01 PM
the republicans of 2000 are not the republicans of today

THE 2000 CAMPAIGN: THE PLATFORM; Bush Says He Supports the Party's Strong Anti-Abortion Stand
By FRANK BRUNI (https://www.nytimes.com/by/frank-bruni)<time datetime="2000-01-23T00:00:00-05:00" itemprop="dateModified" content="2000-01-23T00:00:00-05:00">JAN. 23, 2000</time>
Continue reading the main story (http://www.nytimes.com/2000/01/23/us/2000-campaign-platform-bush-says-he-supports-party-s-strong-anti-abortion-stand.html#story-continues-1)
Gov. George W. Bush said today that he supports the language in the abortion plank in the Republican Party's platform, wording that calls for a constitutional amendment to ban the procedure and makes no mention of exceptions for rape, incest or danger to the life of the mother.
''I think that the Republican Party ought to keep its pro-life plank the way it's written now,'' Mr. Bush said, adding that the drafters of such an amendment would fine-tune the details.

He also had TALKED about strong support for the constitution,
and TALKED about state and local control
as well as...
No Nation Biulding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9SOVzMV2bc

Humble foreign policy, less troops around the world

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_b2wRPgcyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBWUOOzuWIY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfHKIq5z80U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0q-Ki3pDzaM

full clip on racial profiling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCqbXglqIJU

Gunny
09-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Is there a point? Lincoln couldn't have run as a Republican until probably 1980 or so. He was a total left-wing progressive.

Times change. So do people.

jimnyc
09-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Sometimes what one wants, and reality, are unfortunately 2 different things. Some may want perfect harmony with immigration and illegals, but it's not that easy, and following those pesky laws tend to get in the way.

Gunny
09-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Sometimes what one wants, and reality, are unfortunately 2 different things. Some may want perfect harmony with immigration and illegals, but it's not that easy, and following those pesky laws tend to get in the way.This appears to be more a typical case of holding people from the past to today's standards. It doesn't work. The Holier-than-thou club today would be surprised at what they would believe if they'd been raised in a different time. Look at now. What do they believe? In now.

Taken since Day One of Mankind to Monday Morning QB what we think we know is right today. It'll change by tomorrow. Judging our predecessors by what is happening now is just dumb. I remember the things we had to deal with in 1980. The issues were relevant then, and the answers relevant then as well. Learning something more, or new does not condemn those that acted in their time in good faith.

revelarts
09-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Seems to me High Ideals are universal and can be applied if we're not full of fear and truly strong.
But If we're afraid that this one "is going to kill us if...", or that one will "take our jobs if..." then sure any excuse for chucking the constitution and more gov't "protection" at home and abroad works.

Seems for some it's not enough to be aware of real threats and prepare for them within the constitution or based on the reality of the threat. (less people harmed by terror than houshold furniture falling on people, more cab drivers, pilots and other professions killed at work than cops)
But the POTENTIAL of the threat is what they want leaders to PRETEND to be ready for.

the left wants gov't as a Mommy to give food and health care, the right wants Gov't as a father to lock down the house, to take down the so-called bully down the road and his family ...or to rain fire on the other kids in the house that might get an extra cookie.

911 really changed NOTHING. There was terrorism before 911 and there's terrorism after.
The priniciples of freedom and the constitution are the same.
Gunny based on the way you talk it seems you believe the only real law is the law of the GUN. and the Law of POwer and mob.
Whoever's in power can do whatever they want and folks should just deal with it.

Thankfully many other americans throughout history have reached for more, even in the midst of a public that was to afraid and ignorant to do any different than their or the crowd or the "the times' lead them.
But the Ideals haven't changed been around for thousands of years really, and some were written in our founding docs, parts Often latent and unfulfilled until people moved to MAKE them part of the real America.

the ideals of freedom and liberty and love and kindness haven't changed for humanity.
the constitution hasn't changed gunny. the one you know better than I every will. But you seem to think is a take it or leave it' based on public opinion or "pragmatism" or "the times".
Just Seems to me people should CONFORM TO IT not the other way around.
the dangers of using it are NOT so dire or inevitable that using it is CRAZY.

The Constitution is a written instrument. As such, its meaning does not alter. That which it meant when it was adopted, it means now. –
South Carolina v. United States, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)

The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people.
– Justice William O. DouglasThe ultimate touchstone of constitutionality is the Constitution itself and not what we have said about it. –
Felix Frankfurter, Graves vs. New York; 1939

Emergency does not increase granted power or remove or diminish the restrictions imposed upon power granted or reserved. The Constitution was adopted in a period of grave emergency. Its grants of power to the federal government and its limitations of the power of the States were determined in the light of emergency, and they are not altered by emergency. –
Charles Evans Hughes
(1862-1948), Chief Justice, U.S. Supreme Court, Home Building & Loan Assn v.Blairsdell, 1934

aboutime
09-13-2017, 05:30 PM
Namely because....Reagan served two terms, and is now DEAD.

And George W. Bush is not eligible to run again after serving two terms.

So....the title of this thread is MOOT!

Gunny
09-13-2017, 05:49 PM
Seems to me High Ideals are universal and can be applied if we're not full of fear and truly strong.
But If we're afraid that this one "is going to kill us if...", or that one will "take our jobs if..." then sure any excuse for chucking the constitution and more gov't "protection" at home and abroad works.

Seems for some it's not enough to be aware of real threats and prepare for them within the constitution or based on the reality of the threat. (less people harmed by terror than houshold furniture falling on people, more cab drivers, pilots and other professions killed at work than cops)
But the POTENTIAL of the threat is what they want leaders to PRETEND to be ready for.

the left wants gov't as a Mommy to give food and health care, the right wants Gov't as a father to lock down the house, to take down the so-called bully down the road and his family ...or to rain fire on the other kids in the house that might get an extra cookie.

911 really changed NOTHING. There was terrorism before 911 and there's terrorism after.
The priniciples of freedom and the constitution are the same.
Gunny based on the way you talk it seems you believe the only real law is the law of the GUN. and the Law of POwer and mob.
Whoever's in power can do whatever they want and folks should just deal with it.

Thankfully many other americans throughout history have reached for more, even in the midst of a public that was to afraid and ignorant to do any different than their or the crowd or the "the times' lead them.
But the Ideals haven't changed been around for thousands of years really, and some were written in our founding docs, parts Often latent and unfulfilled until people moved to MAKE them part of the real America.

the ideals of freedom and liberty and love and kindness haven't changed for humanity.
the constitution hasn't changed gunny. the one you know better than I every will. But you seem to think is a take it or leave it' based on public opinion or "pragmatism" or "the times".
Just Seems to me people should CONFORM TO IT not the other way around.
the dangers of using it are NOT so dire or inevitable that using it is CRAZY.

The Constitution is a written instrument. As such, its meaning does not alter. That which it meant when it was adopted, it means now. –
South Carolina v. United States, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)

The Constitution is not neutral. It was designed to take the government off the backs of people.
– Justice William O. DouglasThe ultimate touchstone of constitutionality is the Constitution itself and not what we have said about it. –
Felix Frankfurter, Graves vs. New York; 1939

Emergency does not increase granted power or remove or diminish the restrictions imposed upon power granted or reserved. The Constitution was adopted in a period of grave emergency. Its grants of power to the federal government and its limitations of the power of the States were determined in the light of emergency, and they are not altered by emergency. –
Charles Evans Hughes
(1862-1948), Chief Justice, U.S. Supreme Court, Home Building & Loan Assn v.Blairsdell, 1934

Wrong. I believe in dealing with reality rather than sit around and whine all over the place about how I think things should be. You don't know a damned thing about me. You are as guilty of pigeon-holing people as anyone else. You read what I post on this board, that is posted in context of the topic/situation, and whatever filter it is you have on those glasses, it ain't the right one. So here's a simple class for you to try and remember:

First and foremost, I don't make the rules. I don't create all this BS out of hand chaos where all these fascists want to rule the country. I'm not out protesting people with sticks and stones and denying them their right to assemble and speak freely.

Neither am I going to sit idly by while those who wish to take those rights from me and others do all of the above. WHo's going to be crying loudest when you've lost everything you thought you had? YOU. You, the person in la-la land that can't see these people want you to want to talk while they beat your ass and take your shit. You just make it easy on them.

But just to dial you up to speed, I HATE violence and killing. I know up close and personal how it ends. Unlike you think, I will do almost anything to avoid a confrontation. You have the Rights you think God gave you only because people like ME have ensured you have them. Left up to you, you'd be somebody's slave.

aboutime
09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
Could'a Should'a, Would'a!

What if's, and wishing History had been different STILL DOESN'T WORK.