PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps It's Too Soon To Say Brick & Mortar Stores Are Dead

Kathianne
09-15-2017, 07:40 AM
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/09/future-retail-experiences-juice-bars/539751/

This may work.

The article addresses that the 'big stores' of yesteryear offered many services within the store. Looking back to the early stores of when I was a kid, the suburban version of the big stores, weren't as diverse as the flagstaff stores on State Street. While it didn't last long, as Michigan Avenue was already emerging, it almost seems a model for what today's retailers are looking at.

Marshall Field's for instance offered probably the highest end hair salons at the time. Yep, manicures/pedicures and the best stylists. They also had a 'tea room' and an 'ice cream shoppe' and full service restaurant that was the famous, The Walnut Room. There was a post office and cleaners. Shoe repair and tailor, though alterations on new purchases were free. There was a gourmet grocery and a cafeteria for people in a hurry and no time or $ to indulge in the Walnut Room. There was a whole floor dedicated to 'house brands and clearance items.'

In other words, they were many things to many people.

I think Urban Outfitters idea of adding a specialty restaurant is a good idea. I can also see ala Home Depots, 'classes for kids' a way to expand their future base or add customers by trying classes that involve things like 'cooking with cast iron' or 'open fire cooking.' With these they could expand their 'campfire goods by perhaps partnering with Lodge or another big name cookware provider.'

Retailers should look at what social media provides and consider which aspects they might be able to do better. Steal some of those ideas and advertise what they come up with. Even younger people are beginning to recognize that there are many downsides to a virtual world.