PDA

View Full Version : B-Day Shopping Trauma

Gunny
09-15-2017, 03:08 PM
So I tool off to Wally World to get the granddaughter a present. Books are out. Their selection is quite lacking. DVDs are out too. The viewing audience around here is controlled by the daughter's iron fist.

So I'm like, she's 9, Barbie! Right? Now it's been 25 years since my daughter was Barbie age; thus, as long since I've been Barbie shopping. I'm looking around through the dolls for Barbie's and the switch flips -- these ARE the Barbies. Man, did she ever hit skid row. I think they're tryng to get all races and nationalities into one doll. Cheap-ass plastic and really sorry detailing too.

But Wait ... there's MORE!!!

I get a glance at Ken out of my peripheral vision. OMG. No wonder Barbie ran off with GI Joe in the Nissan commercial. What a fag. That he-she doll must be for those gender-confused boys we hear about.

Oh well. The other granddaughter's pet rodent got some food so it wasn't a total bust of a trip.

Abbey Marie
09-16-2017, 03:03 PM
Dang, we need a video of Gunny working his way through the little girls' toy aisle. Especially checking out the dolls.
;)

Gunny
09-16-2017, 08:32 PM
Dang, we need a video of Gunny working his way through the little girls' toy aisle. Especially checking out the dolls.
;)Doesn't bother me to go girl shopping. I was good at it in my day. Ash didn't know she WASN'T a princess until she was 4 or 5 :).

I'm actually worse with boys. All they need's a football. basketball, baseball & bat, punching bag and weight set. Some trucks n tractors and cars maybe when they're younger (under 2). A .22 and bow and arrow when they're about 5. Some jeans and boots once a year and they're set. For life. :)

High_Plains_Drifter
09-17-2017, 02:39 PM
I hear ya, Gunny. I find gift shopping for someone else to be a harrowing experience. I have no friggin' clue what to buy people and usually wind up with a severe case of brain freeze. This was such an issue last year I opted out of the Christmas gift giving I usually do with my younger sister and Mom, since we're the only family we have around this immediate area.

But this year I've recommitted, and I've been keeping my eyes peeled lately trying to get a jump start on it.

You're a dedicated, thoughtful guy to stand in the toys isles and look at dolls for a G/daughter. It would be nice to know they at least realize that. I don't know if I could have made myself to that.

aboutime
09-17-2017, 03:54 PM
As the grandkids seem to get older...so much faster. We have decided not to struggle with the agony of wondering what to get them. So, my wife gets GIFT CARDS, or GIFT CERTIFICATES that can be either cheap, or more expensive. We ask our son's, and d-i-l what the kids are into THIS WEEK. It changes almost every time we see them.