PDA

View Full Version : UN Speech

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 10:15 AM
Another speech that was very good, at least imo. Clear, a tour if you will. of where the US has real concerns about real regimes and how to address. Clear about how the UN has dithered for years and in corrupt ways to bring us to this point. Clear in how Obama's Iran deal was wrong and continues to be a threat. Clear that NoKo has brought it to the point of perhaps being the 2nd time the US may be forced to use nuclear weapons unless there is a removal of nukes from NoKo. That's a freaking big deal and he was CLEAR.

Hopefully his tweets and statements won't undermine the clarity he brought with the speech. I'm hopeful for the reason that he ran as an isolationist, yet underlying his message was the clarity of protecting the US. If he allows the messages, indeed the microwarnings within stand, the US will be safer.

pete311
09-19-2017, 11:47 AM
It sounded like a campaign speech. Trump "America first" message is a bit counter to the point of the UN. Also it sends China the wrong message. If China were to take the same message then they certainly wouldn't help us with NK. What is best for China is for NK to stay where it is.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 11:51 AM
https://strategypage.com/qnd/korea/articles/20170915.aspx

Escalation is a two-way street.

jimnyc
09-19-2017, 01:29 PM
Of course Pete would complain, as I'm sure other liberals are without even looking yet. I just finished watching it and thought it was fantastic.

And yes, he made it clear that America comes first FOR HIM. That America takes on the monster share of the UN budget and that others should ante up. Then he was spot on about both Iran and NK.

And you obviously didn't watch it if you're claiming it was solely an American first speech.

I suggest folks actually watch it as opposed to listening to a typical liberal complain about something, mainly because he/she read it from other liberals. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUPcEYik2Oc

aboutime
09-19-2017, 01:40 PM
It sounded like a campaign speech. Trump "America first" message is a bit counter to the point of the UN. Also it sends China the wrong message. If China were to take the same message then they certainly wouldn't help us with NK. What is best for China is for NK to stay where it is.

We all knew you and other liberals wouldn't like it petey. No surprise. So tell us. Which country would you rather live in...if not here? Since you claim to be so much smarter than all of us here. Why didn't you go to the U.N. this morning, and give the PROPER LIBERAL, APPEASEMENT, APOLOGY Speech..like Obama did?

Tell us about all of your experience with the State Department, and...LAST but not least...your MILITARY EXPERTISE, and how you would handle the 'ROCKET MAN"?

pete311
09-19-2017, 02:02 PM
Of course Pete would complain, as I'm sure other liberals are without even looking yet. I just finished watching it and thought it was fantastic.

And yes, he made it clear that America comes first FOR HIM. That America takes on the monster share of the UN budget and that others should ante up. Then he was spot on about both Iran and NK.

And you obviously didn't watch it if you're claiming it was solely an American first speech.

I suggest folks actually watch it as opposed to listening to a typical liberal complain about something, mainly because he/she read it from other liberals. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUPcEYik2Oc

You must have misinterpreted my comments. American first for him and everyone other country should also do what is best for their own country first. Aka China shouldn't help us. I stand by my original comments.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 02:05 PM
You must have misinterpreted my comments. American first for him and everyone other country should also do what is best for their own country first. Aka China shouldn't help us. I stand by my original comments.

So you didn't read my added link about the two.

jimnyc
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

If I were China, what I would have gotten out of it was that the American leader feels like their country foots too much of the bill for the useless UN. I'm confident that their leader and his goals are for China first. Whether they or you would like to admit it, any war wouldn't be good for China either, and would be in their best interest to try and attain peace and prevent war. I believe their leaders are smart enough to see what Iran is up to and who they support as well.

Speaking up and making it clear that your country is #1 in your countries interests is what a leader should be saying. And then common good can be found in addition to that. Trump might merely be stating the obvious, and the obvious that for whatever reason he shouldn't say? That as the American president, he sees America as his first interest? That's exactly what I would say too. I'm thrilled we have someone that stood in there with some balls and made himself crystal clear.

If you expected him to go there and kiss ass and suck up to other countries and leaders, well then I can understand why you didn't care for the speech.

jimnyc
09-19-2017, 02:20 PM

Oooo! Ooooh! I did, I did!! Well, the majority anyway. :) :)

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 02:23 PM
Oooo! Ooooh! I did, I did!! Well, the majority anyway. :) :)

I meant Pete and his 'China's self-interest' comment. Telling.

pete311
09-19-2017, 02:31 PM

I read it and there is nothing new in it for me. The absolute LAST thing china wants is a pro US unified korea at their border. end of story.

Black Diamond
09-19-2017, 02:41 PM
I read it and there is nothing new in it for me. The absolute LAST thing china wants is a pro US unified korea at their border. end of story.
Would they prefer major war?

aboutime
09-19-2017, 02:46 PM
He refuses to honestly answer any questions. So, he obviously has NO ANSWERS to anything, other than pretending to be somebody we should listen to, and never doubt.

Petey constantly uses the DNC training manual where they are taught NEVER answer any questions with an ANSWER, but rather, another question, misdirected, and on another topic.

pete311
09-19-2017, 02:51 PM
Would they prefer major war?

China is extremely saavy. They know what they are doing. They know the real threat potential of NK. They also likely know the US's probability of first strike. Both are likely lower than alarmists would like. NK wants a nuclear missile in order to blackmail the US out of south korea. They are not suicidal. This also their only play because their entire society is built around it. If they step down on this, it's over for them one way or another. Their only option is to proceed.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 02:57 PM

Of course you know that China has been attempting to get the NoKo regime removed, you've spoken on that often. :rolleyes:

pete311
09-19-2017, 03:00 PM
Of course you know that China has been attempting to get the NoKo regime removed, you've spoken on that often. :rolleyes:

What does that have to do with anything? All that matters to china is that the people on their borders are those they can control, just like russia. Would they like someone a little more stable, of course, but in the end, they take what they can get, as long as they are not in US control.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 03:04 PM
What does that have to do with anything? All that matters to china is that the people on their borders are those they can control, just like russia. Would they like someone a little more stable, of course, but in the end, they take what they can get, as long as they are not in US control.

You wonder why you get so little respect...

Opinions are not facts and do not necessarily result in your personal conclusions.

pete311
09-19-2017, 03:12 PM
You wonder why you get so little respect...

Opinions are not facts and do not necessarily result in your personal conclusions.

My NK statements are not my personal conclusions.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 03:14 PM
My NK statements are not my personal conclusions.

yeah, they are. Fact, China is on the border of NoKo. Opinion, China wants X, but will settle for Y.

pete311
09-19-2017, 03:28 PM
yeah, they are. Fact, China is on the border of NoKo. Opinion, China wants X, but will settle for Y.

Both can be facts. I get my statements from expert analysis that I read and listen to. Thus it is well known knowledge. I'm not a NK scholar nor operative. I wouldn't think to come up with my own ideas on this kind of stuff. I trust the experts and people who spend their lives on this stuff.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 03:31 PM
Both can be facts. I get my statements from expert analysis that I read and listen to. Thus it is well known knowledge. I'm not a NK scholar nor operative. I wouldn't think to come up with my own ideas on this kind of stuff. I trust the experts and people who spend their lives on this stuff.

Yet, you speak as an expert, without any sort of backup. We should take as 'facts' because of your interpretation from unidentified 'experts' analysis. Guess what Pete? that's opinion.

pete311
09-19-2017, 03:36 PM
Yet, you speak as an expert, without any sort of backup. We should take as 'facts' because of your interpretation from unidentified 'experts' analysis. Guess what Pete? that's opinion.

I'll start citing every single statement when you do.

Kathianne
09-19-2017, 03:44 PM
I'll start citing every single statement when you do.

:laugh2:

jimnyc
09-19-2017, 04:16 PM
And not only calling out Iran on a worldwide stage, on many fronts, and NK as well - he thankfully went back to using "radical islamic terrorism" as it should be. He was very presidential, but also didn't hold back. And apparently it was well received, to an extent, as the worldwide stage applauded when he was speaking about Iran.

jimnyc
09-19-2017, 04:22 PM
Here's a few different takes on the speech. :)

---

Josh Earnest: Trump’s U.N. Speech was ‘Foolish,’ Lacked ‘Coherence’

Tuesday on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” while reacting to President Donald Trump’s speech at United Nations, former White House press secretary for the Obama administration Josh Earnest said the overall speech lacked “coherence,” and Trump mocking North Korea’s leader Kim Jong-un was “foolish.”

Earnest said, “Having sat in the hall of the United Nations where the president of the United States delivers an address for gathered world leaders — that’s something I did for the last three years—what you know world leaders are looking for in that room is a coherent strategy for taking on the biggest challenges around the globe. Whether that is climate change or refugee problems or rogue nations with nuclear weapons, the world looks to the United States to organize a coherent strategy.”

“As you point out, Andrea, there is a distinct lack of coherence in this strategy President Trump outlined today,” he added. “On the one hand, he’s suggested to North Korea that they need to work with the United Nations to denuclearize the Korean peninsula. Then two or three sentences later, he is trashing and vowing to tear up a deal that the United Nations is implementing to prevent Iran from getting access to a nuclear weapon. What this does, Andrea, is it puts the United States at a disadvantage, that part of our leadership in the world and part of the way we advance our interests, is by being able to articulate a strategy that the world joins us implementing. That coherence was lacking in today’s speech.”

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/video/2017/09/19/josh-earnest-trumps-u-n-speech-foolish-lacked-coherence/

Bolton: 'This Was the Best Speech of the Trump Presidency'

John Bolton says President Donald Trump's address to the United Nations General Assembly was the "best speech of the Trump presidency."

Bolton, a former U.S. Ambassador to the UN, said the centerpiece of Trump's speech was his criticism of the behavior of North Korea and Iran.

"It's safe to say, in the entire history of the United Nations, there has never been a more straightforward criticism of the unacceptable behavior of other member states," Bolton said.

Rest - http://insider.foxnews.com/2017/09/19/john-bolton-president-trumps-speech-united-nations-un-general-assembly

Netanyahu: Trump Gave Boldest, Most Courageous Speech at UN that I Ever Heard

TEL AVIV – Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared that in his vast experience with the United Nations, he never heard a “bolder” or “more courageous” address than President Trump’s speech to the international body earlier today.

“In over 30 years in my experience with the UN, I never heard a bolder or more courageous speech. President Trump spoke the truth about the great dangers facing our world and issued a powerful call to confront them in order to ensure the future of humanity,” Netanyahu said in a statement released following the speech.

“President Trump spoke the truth about the dangers lurking in the world, and called to forcefully confront them themselves to ensure the future of mankind,” the prime minister added.

https://i.imgur.com/owtckjJ.png

https://i.imgur.com/XqYzvTa.png

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/jerusalem/2017/09/19/netanyahu-trump-gave-most-bold-courageous-speech-un-has-ever-heard/

aboutime
09-19-2017, 04:32 PM
Truth is, about the President's U.N. Speech this morning; He actually made statements, addressed Real facts, and called out every member of the U.N. in the most Honest, Never spoken words that everyone who heard him....had to declare...he says what NEEDS to be said without pulling any punches, without appeasement, excuses, or butt-kissing in order to Influence, or pretend to make friends by putting America down...Obama-like, in apologies for being American.

Anyone who didn't like the speech; probably would blame their mother for dropping them on their head during birth....instead of choosing Abortion.

Gunny
09-19-2017, 09:26 PM
Another speech that was very good, at least imo. Clear, a tour if you will. of where the US has real concerns about real regimes and how to address. Clear about how the UN has dithered for years and in corrupt ways to bring us to this point. Clear in how Obama's Iran deal was wrong and continues to be a threat. Clear that NoKo has brought it to the point of perhaps being the 2nd time the US may be forced to use nuclear weapons unless there is a removal of nukes from NoKo. That's a freaking big deal and he was CLEAR.

Hopefully his tweets and statements won't undermine the clarity he brought with the speech. I'm hopeful for the reason that he ran as an isolationist, yet underlying his message was the clarity of protecting the US. If he allows the messages, indeed the microwarnings within stand, the US will be safer.The one thing I liked most about it was Trump putting the NK thing in the UN's lap, where it belongs. Lost in all the rhetoric and to time is the fact that the Korean War was a UN, not a US, action to begin with.
We carried the brunt of it because we were the only country with any real troops left in the area. It somehow became "ours". If the UN wants to be considered relevant, then they need to be rele

jimnyc
09-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Some more various feedback on the UN speech:

---

Hillary Clinton Slams Trump's UN Speech as 'Very Dark, Dangerous'

Hillary Clinton returned to late night TV for the first time since the election on Tuesday, telling "Late Show" host Stephen Colbert that President Donald Trump's speech to the United Nations was "very dark" and "dangerous."

"Not the kind of message that the leader of the greatest nation in the world should be delivering," she said.

In such speeches, she said, "You are both required to stand up for the values of what we believe in -- democracy and opportunity -- as a way to demonstrate clearly the United States remains to beacon that we want it to be." She said that the message also should be that "when you face dangerous situations, like what is happening in North Korea, to make it clear that your first approach should always be diplomatic."

Rest - http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/hillary-clinton-trump-speech/2017/09/20/id/814590/

Conservatives Welcome Trump's 'Blunt' Speech to the UN

President Donald Trump's "open" and "blunt" speech to the United Nations on Tuesday was enthusiastically welcomed by conservatives on Tuesday.

Most maintained Trump's words needed to be said and warmly applauded his speech.

"This is the international UN version of 'draining the swamp,'" Rep. Ron DeSantis, R-Fla., told Fox News. "He went in there and was extremely blunt.

"That was exactly the message that needed to be sent.

Rest - http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/conservatives-welcome-donald-trump-blunt/2017/09/19/id/814446/

Feinstein Disappointed With Trump Threatening NKorea at UN

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., blasted President Donald Trump for using his first speech before the United Nations General Assembly "to threaten war" against North Korea.

"The goals of the United Nations are to foster peace and promote global cooperation," she said in a statement after Trump's speech Tuesday.

"Today, the president used it as a stage to threaten war."

In his speech, Trump called North Korean leader Kim Jong Un "rocket man," and said he is "on a suicide mission for himself and for his regime."

The president added, "The United States has great strength and patience, but if it is forced to defend itself or its allies, we will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea"

Rest - http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/dianne-feinstein-disappointed-donald-trump-threatening/2017/09/19/id/814481/

Nationalism without isolationism: Trump’s UN triumph

For 50 minutes on Tuesday, President Trump dazzled, and appalled, UN denizens in a speech that was the most detailed and reasoned defense to date of his “America First” ideology. The nationalism was still there, but any hint of isolationism was absent.

If “Rocket Man” Kim Jong-un refuses to end his missile and nuclear programs and keeps up his “suicide mission,” Trump said, and if countries fail to isolate him despite the UN’s own resolutions, America “will have no choice but to totally destroy North Korea.”

And he didn’t shy away from attacking several other sacred cows of Turtle Bay. He chastised the UN bureaucracy and hinted America won’t continue blindly pouring cash into it. He asked other countries to shoulder more responsibility in maintaining global peace and prosperity.

And then there was this: The nuclear deal with Iran is “one of the worst and most one-sided transactions the United States has ever entered into,” Trump said. “Frankly, that deal is an embarrassment to the United States, and I don’t think you’ve heard the last of it — believe me.”

The usual suspects were appalled. “It was the wrong speech, at the wrong time, to the wrong audience,” Swedish Foreign Minister Margot Wallstrom told the BBC.

Rest - http://nypost.com/2017/09/19/nationalism-without-isolationism-trumps-un-triumph/

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2017, 09:17 AM
If I were China, what I would have gotten out of it was that the American leader feels like their country foots too much of the bill for the useless UN. I'm confident that their leader and his goals are for China first. Whether they or you would like to admit it, any war wouldn't be good for China either, and would be in their best interest to try and attain peace and prevent war. I believe their leaders are smart enough to see what Iran is up to and who they support as well.

Speaking up and making it clear that your country is #1 in your countries interests is what a leader should be saying. And then common good can be found in addition to that. Trump might merely be stating the obvious, and the obvious that for whatever reason he shouldn't say? That as the American president, he sees America as his first interest? That's exactly what I would say too. I'm thrilled we have someone that stood in there with some balls and made himself crystal clear.

If you expected him to go there and kiss ass and suck up to other countries and leaders, well then I can understand why you didn't care for the speech.

Petey wants Trump to kiss ass and apologize for America exactly like the demi-god obama did.
Yet should Trump be the worthless piece of shit like obama (and do exactly that), they- the libs/dems/socialist worms would still criticize him for that too. While they secretly shook hands and applauded his stupidity in acting like them.

We should always remember that, -- these people-- libs/dems/socialists are shallow, corrupt, devious dishonorable snakes without even an ounce of integrity.
Vermin that we are forced to deal with but things we should never give any quarter, IMHO..-Tyr

Black Diamond
09-20-2017, 09:24 AM
Has anyone compared trump to Khrushchev yet?