PDA

View Full Version : Csm

Abbey Marie
09-24-2017, 07:15 PM
Are you/were you anything like Sam Elliot's character in We Were Soldiers Once?
CSM

Black Diamond
09-24-2017, 07:56 PM
@CSM (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=36)
That movie hits hard.

CSM
09-25-2017, 06:41 AM
CSM

lol....not while I was there. I was a dumb ass E-4 trying to stay alive. I eventually became much like that as I grew and learned and trained. By the time I became a CSM, I was (and still am) very much like that CSM. However, I am not that good looking!

CSM
09-25-2017, 06:48 AM
That movie hits hard.

It is fairly realistic. The thing about war movies is that no matter how realistic the visuals they can never really capture the environment. I am talking about the volume of noise, the chaos and the smells. There are very few people that know the what the smells are like. The smell of cordite/gunpowder mixed with the smell of large quantities of blood and torn up vegetation make for a very unique experience. In fact, certain smells can and do trigger flashbacks for some of us.

The noise is interesting too. I can distinguish between mortar rounds, heavy artillery and thunder. I can tell the approximate caliber and type of rifle/pistol being fired by the sound.

I did manage to watch "We Were Soldiers..." in it's entirety but it was damn sure difficult.

Gunny
09-25-2017, 11:55 AM
It is fairly realistic. The thing about war movies is that no matter how realistic the visuals they can never really capture the environment. I am talking about the volume of noise, the chaos and the smells. There are very few people that know the what the smells are like. The smell of cordite/gunpowder mixed with the smell of large quantities of blood and torn up vegetation make for a very unique experience. In fact, certain smells can and do trigger flashbacks for some of us.

The noise is interesting too. I can distinguish between mortar rounds, heavy artillery and thunder. I can tell the approximate caliber and type of rifle/pistol being fired by the sound.

I did manage to watch "We Were Soldiers..." in it's entirety but it was damn sure difficult.Smoke. Black, white, grey ... just fucking smoke. Can smell it and fee it. It's always there. It takes forever to wash that shit off. It just like sticks to you and won't go away.

CSM
09-25-2017, 12:14 PM
Smoke. Black, white, grey ... just fucking smoke. Can smell it and fee it. It's always there. It takes forever to wash that shit off. It just like sticks to you and won't go away.

YEP. That too. Those are the things no video or movie will ever capture...

Gunny
09-25-2017, 12:24 PM
YEP. That too. Those are the things no video or movie will ever capture...Yeah. "We were soldiers". We all thought we were going to be John Wayne.

Abbey Marie
09-25-2017, 01:14 PM

I did manage to watch "We Were Soldiers..." in it's entirety but it was damn sure difficult.

Did you find any of Platoon to be realistic?

Black Diamond
09-25-2017, 01:43 PM
Yeah. "We were soldiers". We all thought we were going to be John Wayne.
Sands of Iwo Jima?

CSM
09-25-2017, 02:04 PM
Did you find any of Platoon to be realistic?
I suppose some of that stuff could have happened but that wasn't my personal experience. I often say that every soldier sees the battle from his own foxhole...

Gunny
09-25-2017, 02:05 PM
Sands of Iwo Jima?The one movie they let us watch in boot camp :laugh:. When we were in Infantry Training School, the instructors' favorite saying whenever we did a drill or exercise was: "'N I don't wanna see none of that John Wayne, Screamin' Eagle shit. You try pullin that pin out with your teeth and you're more'n like to lose teeth than get that pin out".

Basically was telling us it we weren't in Kansas anymore and it ain't like the movies.