PDA

View Full Version : Titles

Abbey Marie
09-25-2017, 08:32 PM
Just a curiosity question: In today's armed forces, are women officers addressed as Ma'am or Sir?

aboutime
09-25-2017, 08:51 PM
Just a curiosity question: In today's armed forces, are women officers addressed as Ma'am or Sir?

Think it's still Ma'am or...their rank. Commander, Lt, Capt, Ensign. Not sure about other services. I have been out since 95.

Here's a link:http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=210438

darin
09-26-2017, 12:11 AM
Ma'am for ground and air forces. We almost never call commissioned officers by their rank alone, except for Lieutenants - we call them "LT" a lot. But we see so few LTs in my line of work.

The navy is weird so I dunno.

Abbey Marie
09-26-2017, 08:34 AM
I wonder if this will change too.
What got me thinking was a silly Star Trek parody where they addressed a female senior officer as Sir. Not exactly a source of good info, but in our crazy gender-neutral country, I can see this happening.

darin
09-26-2017, 08:42 AM
I wonder if this will change too.
What got me thinking was a silly Star Trek parody where they addressed a female senior officer as Sir. Not exactly a source of good info, but in our crazy gender-neutral country, I can see this happening.

May have had old roots actually - google cant decide.

Are you watching Destiny?

The female lead? She was on TWD. I find her INCREDIBLY attractive...mmhmm...beautiful.

http://digitalspyuk.cdnds.net/17/30/980x490/landscape-1501114358-untitled.jpg

http://i1.wp.com/www.fashandmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Sonequa-Martin-Green.jpeg

Abbey Marie
09-26-2017, 08:45 AM
Recorded it, it haven't watched it yet. It's good?

The parody is called The Orville. Mildly funny...

darin
09-26-2017, 08:47 AM

i love Orville - except the last one was iffy - but the first couple episodes? Pretty good stuff.

Destiny is pretty good - I will watch both.

Bilgerat
09-26-2017, 08:47 AM

Last Cutter I was stationed on back in 95 was the USCGC Northland. We had a female Cmdr as the Engineering Officer and we addressed her as Ma'am.

Kathianne
09-26-2017, 08:56 AM

The correct term is now, "Ze." You're welcome. ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
09-26-2017, 09:09 AM

I watched the first Orville. It was interesting and odd enough to keep me watching. I'd probably watch it again, maybe record it.

Yeah it was Ma'am in the AF in '87 when I got out, or their rank.

CSM
09-26-2017, 09:20 AM
I always called female officers "Ma'am". The bigger question (IMO) is what the hell are they going to call "transgender" officers??? and you know damned well there will be at least a few!

High_Plains_Drifter
09-26-2017, 09:25 AM
I always called female officers "Ma'am". The bigger question (IMO) is what the hell are they going to call "transgender" officers??? and you know damned well there will be at least a few!
Weren't they working on bumping all the trannies out of the military?

Last I heard they were "studying" the problem on how best to separate them all, as president Trump did issue a directive to discharge them all.

aboutime
09-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Other than HEY YOU! I suspect just using their rank, until THEY figure out WHAT, and WHO they want to be.:laugh:

Gunny
09-26-2017, 03:46 PM
Ma'am for ground and air forces. We almost never call commissioned officers by their rank alone, except for Lieutenants - we call them "LT" a lot. But we see so few LTs in my line of work.

The navy is weird so I dunno.The Navy is easy. Ma'am or sir for officers, or you can address them by rank. LOL, I forgot about being a troop when you actually called Lts anything other than dumbass :laugh:. We hardly ever saw 2ndLts. They were always on shit details :laugh: