PDA

View Full Version : DVRs

Abbey Marie
09-27-2017, 06:25 PM
If anyone here still has cable, lol, I have a question.
Can the cable owner (in our case, Comcast) tell exactly what you are watching, via their DVR box?

Black Diamond
09-27-2017, 06:33 PM
Can the cable owner (in our case, Comcast) tell exactly what you are watching, via their DVR box?
Michael savage said yes.

aboutime
09-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Michael savage said yes.

ABSOLUTELY...Yes! They have the ability to program what you Want to Watch, and what you don't. So there are algorithms contained in their systems that monitor your programming, recordings, times, dates, and even..YOUR BILL.

Pretty simple really. So, anybody who thinks BIG BROTHER isn't watching us all, all of the time...lives in a hole in the ground.

Abbey Marie
09-27-2017, 06:44 PM
Well then, I will be absolutely sure not to have any football games on this week. I hope many of us will do the same.

Black Diamond
09-27-2017, 06:46 PM
Well then, I will be absolutely sure not to have any football games on this week. I hope many of us will do the same.
That was what savage was talking about. He said if you're not watching the games, the cable company knows.

gabosaurus
09-27-2017, 07:02 PM

I, too, will NOT be watching football on Sunday.
Of course, I never watch football anyway. Unless it is the football that Americans know better as soccer.
I WILL be watching baseball. Kneeling, sitting or anything else, I will always watch baseball. It's the American Pastime. :salute:

Gunny
09-27-2017, 07:11 PM
Well then, I will be absolutely sure not to have any football games on this week. I hope many of us will do the same.Heh. Week ahead of you. And what AT said. Of course they know what you are watching.

They reported on the news today that Nielsen reported viewership was down from 18M to 13M from this point last year. A point to itself. But HOW does Nielsen know this the Wed morning after (2 work days)? It sure isn't from the way they used to manually poll people.

The cable companies are withing their Rights to provide statistical data as long as it contains no personal info as far as I know.

aboutime
09-27-2017, 07:52 PM
The water company knows how much water you use. The electric/gas companies know how much you use, and they bill you based on that. Consider EVERYTHING in life these days as an open door to our privacy. The mail man, the phone company, even your grocery store, and other stores you frequent KNOW what you use, buy, how much, and your bank knows...how much you spend for all of your daily, weekly, monthly bills. Then we have the Cable companies...and last but not least...YOUR ISP, that knows what I am saying to you in this forum...RIGHT NOW.
Nothing is sacred. We really have NO privacy. If you doubt that.
Go to google, type your name, or your address and hit SEARCH. It ain't pretty.

Black Diamond
09-27-2017, 07:54 PM
to me, it seems similar to data mining.

aboutime
09-27-2017, 07:59 PM
to me, it seems similar to data mining.

In reality. That's exactly what it is. But the authorities won't ever admit that. The FBI, CIA, DOD, IRS, Homeland Security, ICE, and I'm guessing...nearly every Federal agency that deals with people; have access to information across the board.

The Internet just made it all easier to gather, hold, and hide.
Remember? Everything you see on the INTERNET is THERE FOREVER. If we think we can erase it. There are several bridges in New York City for sale to the lowest bidders.:rolleyes:

Black Diamond
09-27-2017, 08:23 PM
In reality. That's exactly what it is. But the authorities won't ever admit that. The FBI, CIA, DOD, IRS, Homeland Security, ICE, and I'm guessing...nearly every Federal agency that deals with people; have access to information across the board.

The Internet just made it all easier to gather, hold, and hide.
Remember? Everything you see on the INTERNET is THERE FOREVER. If we think we can erase it. There are several bridges in New York City for sale to the lowest bidders.:rolleyes:
Given the amount Obama spied on people I should not be surprised. I wonder what trump thinks of it.

Gunny
09-27-2017, 08:39 PM
Given the amount Obama spied on people I should not be surprised. I wonder what trump thinks of it.Ever seen the Matrix? It's not far off. You're out there. We all are. When we become of interest they notice you.

Perfect for example: Never used my military Tricare before last year. Do I ever hear from the government? No. My hospitalization cost them over $100K. I was audited within 3 months by the IRS. Coincidence? I don't think so. Haven't heard from them since, either.

jimnyc
09-28-2017, 01:15 PM

More so if you tape something to your DVR. I don't think they go too crazy monitoring such things at that level - hence Nielsen's ratings. Maybe its easier these days, I have no clue in reality!!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_ratings