PDA

View Full Version : On judicial nominees, Trump just keeps on #winning

jimnyc
09-30-2017, 11:59 AM
Another excellent set of circumstances that is often being overlooked. Federal judges across the nation. :)

--

On judicial nominees, Trump just keeps on #winning

President Trump hit another judicial home run with his 5th Circuit nominees today. Don Willett and Jim Ho are tremendously experienced and qualified lawyers and public servants whose intellect and legal skills are matched only by their integrity and commitment to the rule of law. I have known them both for a long time and can attest that they will be tremendous assets to the federal judiciary.

Justice Willett's nomination in particular will make national headlines because of his presence on social media. A decade from now it probably (hopefully!) won't be unusual to find federal judges tweeting about life, the universe, and everything -- but in 2017, Willett is a trailblazer.

Not that he's snarky or glib or anything that Twitter is known for. Instead, he's become the judicial Twitter laureate because of the education he gives his fellow citizens on the Constitution and the proper role of a judge (and bacon) all in his own inimitable "judge next door" style. It's to the enduring credit of the White House counsel's office and Justice Department that someone who's not plain-vanilla made it through the vetting process.

Not that Willett is all hat, no cattle. His work on the Texas Supreme Court has become known for his clear writing style and unwillingness to let the government, especially the Texas government, slide if it's exceeding its powers or intruding on constitutional rights. It's no wonder that he made the Supreme Court shortlist for the seat that Justice Neil Gorsuch now occupies, nor that he's become a favorite of conservative (and libertarian) elites and Texas lawyers alike.

Rest - http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/on-judicial-nominees-trump-just-keeps-on-winning/article/2635988

mundame
10-01-2017, 09:00 AM
I'm eager to see if the Senate rescinds the "blue slip" system in which Senators can stymie judicial nominations in their own state. I'd be for that, at least for federal judges.