PDA

View Full Version : High School Football Players Kicked Off Team For Protesting During Anthem

jimnyc
10-01-2017, 10:55 AM
Actions have consequences. Good for coach for taking a stance on this crap!

Of course Mom jumps in and doesn't care what the kids do - and states the coach has no integrity. :rolleyes: These kids aren't even old enough to barely understand anything yet, but are doing things the coach told them not to AND explained how it would be seen as disrespectful. They did it anyway.

He's a coach. The team pastor. A Marine who served this great country. And he has no integrity. :SHAKING MY DAMN FAT HEAD:

--

High School Football Players Kicked Off Team For Protesting During Anthem

A coach kicked a two Texan high school football players off of the team after the players protested during the national anthem Friday.

Senior Larry McCullough knelt and sophomore Cedric Ingram-Lewis put his fist up in the air during the national anthem before Victory & Praise Christian Academy’s football game, reported the Houston Chronicle. Ronnie Mitchem, the team’s coach and pastor, kicked them off the team directly afterwards.

“I don’t have any problem with those young men,” Mitchem told the Chronicle. “We’ve had a good relationship. They chose to do that and they had to pay for the consequences.”

Mitchem, a former Marine, had previously told the school’s players that he did not want them to kneel during the anthem, believing that the action offends veterans and distracts rather than calls attention to issues. The coach said he wanted the players to express their discontent by authoring and distributing a paper about political issues that troubled them, or by kneeling in the end zone after a touchdown.

“He told us that disrespect will not be tolerated,” said Ingram-Lewis, one of the booted players. “He told us to take off our uniform and leave it there.”

Rhonda Brady, Ingram-Lewis’ mother, was angry with the coach’s reaction.

“I don’t want them back on the team,” said Brady. “A man with integrity and morals and ethics and who truly lives by that wouldn’t have done anything like that….For [the coach] to do what he did, that really spoke volumes and I don’t want my kids or my nephew to be around a man with no integrity.”

http://dailycaller.com/2017/09/30/high-school-football-players-kicked-off-team-for-protesting-during-anthem/

gabosaurus
10-01-2017, 11:45 AM
I read another article about this and it is worse than Jim's link states.
Victory and Praise Academy is apparently a team put together for kids who are home schooled or attend alternate classes. The mom actually planned this stunt in advance and told the coach it was going to happen. She probably alerted the media as well. The coach told the kids that, as a veteran, such an action would offend him. He felt that the kids understood his point.
I think it is disgusting that this mother decided to use kids to get point across. It is an abhorrent attention grab. The kids suffer and the mom gets the spotlight. :mad:

Black Diamond
10-01-2017, 11:49 AM
Victory and Praise Academy is apparently a team put together for kids who are home schooled or attend alternate classes. The mom actually planned this stunt in advance and told the coach it was going to happen. She probably alerted the media as well. The coach told the kids that, as a veteran, such an action would offend him. He felt that the kids understood his point.
I think it is disgusting that this mother decided to use kids to get point across. It is an abhorrent attention grab. The kids suffer and the mom gets the spotlight. :mad:
I smell a reality show

jimnyc
10-01-2017, 11:55 AM

Yikes, and mine was only a feeling based on the article I had posted.

Let the kids play football. :(

I played for like 10 years straight starting when I was like 6 years old. No politics ever and man would I had been disappointed if I had to miss a game for ANY reason. All I knew was football, and all I wanted to do is play. I'm betting all of these kids from 1st grade through seniors in HS pretty much feel the same. I feel for them.

gabosaurus
10-01-2017, 12:00 PM
My daughter's boyfriend is a senior football player. The school and coaches have taken no stand about kneeling. But the senior captains told the rest of the team that unless everyone stands, with one hand over their heart and the other on a teammate's shoulder (which is what they normally do during the anthem), that there would be serious consequences. And so they did. :cool: