PDA

View Full Version : Finally found out what breed my dog is

Gaffer
08-11-2007, 06:50 PM
We came across this site and it describes my dog ( I say that cause she doesn't go any where without me)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/plotthound.htm

I had never heard of a Plott Hound before. But after reading the site and looking at the pictures she's definately a pure bred Plott Hound. She treed a coon in our front yard a few weeks ago and I have seen her go after deer in the bean field behind us. Definitely explains a lot about how she acts.

We had been trying to figure out what kind of a breed or mix she was since she showed up here last winter.

So I have a pure bred Plott Hound which are rare in this part of the country and no one ever came looking for it or even posted and ad in the paper. Fine by me, she's part of the family now.

Joan
08-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Sure is a good looking dog. You lucked out finding that one! If I had my druthers, I'd have me a dog, but they don't allow them where I live, but I do have my kitties!

Mr. P
08-12-2007, 01:31 PM
We came across this site and it describes my dog ( I say that cause she doesn't go any where without me)

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/plotthound.htm

I had never heard of a Plott Hound before. But after reading the site and looking at the pictures she's definately a pure bred Plott Hound. She treed a coon in our front yard a few weeks ago and I have seen her go after deer in the bean field behind us. Definitely explains a lot about how she acts.

We had been trying to figure out what kind of a breed or mix she was since she showed up here last winter.

So I have a pure bred Plott Hound which are rare in this part of the country and no one ever came looking for it or even posted and ad in the paper. Fine by me, she's part of the family now.

If she's 'pure breed' she may have a chip that will provide the info to return her to her home. We have one in our dog for that purpose.

Gaffer
08-13-2007, 10:31 AM
If she's 'pure breed' she may have a chip that will provide the info to return her to her home. We have one in our dog for that purpose.

Haven't found anything that looks like a chip. As soon as my VA pension is approved and I get my back money I am taking her to the vet to get her shots and checked out throughly. I think who ever owned her before abused her. She's skittish when there are loud noises or thunder. She never wanders too far from me and won't let anyone else take her outside. She also doesn't bark or howl. She will perk up her ears when she hears something and then look at me to get me to go with her to check it out.

Mr. P
08-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Haven't found anything that looks like a chip. As soon as my VA pension is approved and I get my back money I am taking her to the vet to get her shots and checked out throughly. I think who ever owned her before abused her. She's skittish when there are loud noises or thunder. She never wanders too far from me and won't let anyone else take her outside. She also doesn't bark or howl. She will perk up her ears when she hears something and then look at me to get me to go with her to check it out.

Sounds like a great dog with a great bond, Gaffer!

That chip is under the skin on the back you can't feel it and it must be read at the vet or humane society.
It's sort of a scanner thing.

Gaffer
08-13-2007, 10:56 AM
Sounds like a great dog with a great bond, Gaffer!

That chip is under the skin on the back you can't feel it and it must be read at the vet or humane society.
It's sort of a scanner thing.

No chip there. As much as I pet her I would have noticed a lump there. Like I said, I think her previous owner abused her. Just by the way she acted when we first took her in. I don't think former owner cared much about being able to track her.

We only found out what breed she was because a neighbor down the street mentioned she looked like a Plott Hound and we looked it up on the internet. I had never heard of a Plott Hound before.

Mr. P
08-13-2007, 11:11 AM
No chip there. As much as I pet her I would have noticed a lump there. Like I said, I think her previous owner abused her. Just by the way she acted when we first took her in. I don't think former owner cared much about being able to track her.

We only found out what breed she was because a neighbor down the street mentioned she looked like a Plott Hound and we looked it up on the internet. I had never heard of a Plott Hound before.

Just a FYI...You can't feel it Gaffer..

Q...In the show ring, can the microchip be felt by the judge’s hands?

A....No. When the chip is properly implanted deeply under the skin, no one will be able to locate the chip by touch, even in tiny breeds.
I pet our dog all the time and know about where the chip is and can't feel it.

Here's a link for one provider with more info..
http://www.avidmicrochip.com/answer.htm

PostmodernProphet
08-13-2007, 11:21 AM
once when I was young a beautiful long-haired English Setter showed up on my folks' farm.....it was shortly after pheasant hunting season and we speculated that she had run away from a hunting party.....

she was with us for a few weeks until one morning my dad pulled out his rifle to take a shot at a crow that had been annoying him early mornings.....

that dog saw the gun and took off in a straight line down the road and never came back......

we wondered if by chance she had taken a hit of buckshot during a hunt.......