PDA

View Full Version : My newest question about your domestic life

Abbey Marie
10-04-2017, 06:40 PM
I'm finally moving on from shower questions, lol.

If you like to sit outside of your house:

All things being equal, do you prefer to sit out back, or out front? If you have a great deck out back, for example, disregard that feature for the moment, and tell me where you would prefer to sit.

Kathianne
10-04-2017, 06:45 PM

All things being equal, do you prefer to sit out back, or out front? If you have a great deck out back, for example, disregard that feature for the moment, and tell me where you would prefer to sit.

In my own home I liked both. Had a patio out back and small patio off the kitchen in the front. Mostly it depended on where the sun was, the front was better in the mornings, out back in the pm. I did like waving to neighbors going to work on my days off! LOL!

Here, there really isn't any sun protection in the front, so the back it is.

aboutime
10-04-2017, 06:47 PM
Out back, when the Navy Jet's are doing touch & goes at Oceana...a mile away.

WITH EARPLUGS of course! The SOUND OF FREEDOM has been our neighbor for 29 years here.:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salu te::salute:

Black Diamond
10-04-2017, 06:53 PM

WITH EARPLUGS of course! The SOUND OF FREEDOM has been our neighbor for 29 years here.:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salu te::salute:
Is that near Norfolk ?

aboutime
10-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Is that near Norfolk ?

Yup! We're in Virginia Beach. Norfolk is West of us at the border. The Nation's Largest Military Complex. Oceana has been called the "TOP GUN" base of the East.

By the way. Every year that we have lived here. We have watched the BLUE ANGELS perform...from our yard.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-04-2017, 08:05 PM
I have a tractor wheel minus the inside of it I cut out with my torch, buried partially in the ground for a fire pit surrounded with bricks. That's on the west end of my shop. Have a nice bench there, lots of firewood, it's very private and cozy and I have blazing huge campfires. That would have to be my favorite spot.

Gunny
10-06-2017, 06:26 PM

WITH EARPLUGS of course! The SOUND OF FREEDOM has been our neighbor for 29 years here.:salute::salute::salute::salute::salute::salu te::salute:I liked Norfolk/Virginia Beach. H ad to qualify on the range at NAS Oceana one year. Nice chow hall (85 I think). We lived in Norfolk because the wicked witch old lady was stationed at Hqtrs, Lant on the CinCLantFlt compound. Wouldn't want her to have to drive. We lived right across the street from base housing on Terminal Blvd.

Best seafood EVER was at Fisherman's Wharf on Willoughby Spit. When I took the second wife home to see her family in Bellhaven, I detoured going back to DC on 17 to I66 for dinner :).

aboutime
10-06-2017, 07:06 PM
I liked Norfolk/Virginia Beach. H ad to qualify on the range at NAS Oceana one year. Nice chow hall (85 I think). We lived in Norfolk because the wicked witch old lady was stationed at Hqtrs, Lant on the CinCLantFlt compound. Wouldn't want her to have to drive. We lived right across the street from base housing on Terminal Blvd.

Best seafood EVER was at Fisherman's Wharf on Willoughby Spit. When I took the second wife home to see her family in Bellhaven, I detoured going back to DC on 17 to I66 for dinner :).

Used to be Gunny. Fisherman's Wharf is gone now. You wouldn't believe Ocean View now. Million dollar condo's, and traffic galore. Little Creek is totally different too! That base housing has been expanded too! Benmorell up to the base, with Navy Exchange and Commissary on TAUSSIG blvd. I worked at CINCLANTFLT for 3 years in the Comm center where TOM CLANCY wrote about at the HQ'S.

Gunny
10-06-2017, 07:20 PM
Used to be Gunny. Fisherman's Wharf is gone now. You wouldn't believe Ocean View now. Million dollar condo's, and traffic galore. Little Creek is totally different too! That base housing has been expanded too! Benmorell up to the base, with Navy Exchange and Commissary on TAUSSIG blvd. I worked at CINCLANTFLT for 3 years in the Comm center where TOM CLANCY wrote about at the HQ'S.

Well I guess it has been 30+ years. Ocean View was kind of run down as I recall. That's where Walker lived, isn't it? Had a friend with a house in Ocean View more towards Little Creek. I'm not real good with the names. Used to take my daughter with me grocery shopping at a place called Farm Fresh on Granby(?).

I can't imagine Virginia Beach if it's crowded more now than it already was. We'd pull off the side of the road like everyone else and park (can still do that in Jax -- actually St John's County just south of Jax), walk across the street and line up on the beach with the rest of the sardines :laugh:.

I have fond memories of the place because I was still young, dumb and full of cum. I got there a Cpl. I still liked all that jumping out of helo's into the freezing-ass ocean, ooh-rah, John Wayne crap.

Too bad old places like that have to get sold out.

mundame
10-07-2017, 07:43 AM
We sit out back by a Chimenea fire pit with a chimney. Under a big beech tree surrounded by large potted plants. And sheep which come over to the fence to get garden stuff thrown at them, and too many cats --- they get cat treats when we sit out. I've been cracking black walnuts there also most days lately.

If we had to live elsewhere, God forbid, I'd want a big porch fronting the road to sit on and watch the road. Always something to talk about watching the road.

PostmodernProphet
10-08-2017, 06:39 AM
wherever there is shade, breeze, cooler temps......

CSM
10-08-2017, 06:54 AM
My preference when sitting outside my house is to be sitting inside my boat....

Bilgerat
10-08-2017, 08:05 AM
My preference when sitting outside my house is to be sitting inside my boat....

With as much water as we have outside right now, you can sit in your boat right here :shark:

jimnyc
10-08-2017, 08:26 AM

Been nagging to get a deck built for years! But I suppose that's behind the monkey, and then the snowblower. :dunno:

Good question!

I prefer the front, IF I sit outside, which is pretty much only when it rains as I love the smell and just love watching the rain for some reason. But overall, I try to avoid sitting outside. I prefer the front, as I like to watch what people are doing, but at the same time, I rarely go sit out as I hate people and prefer not to see or interact with them. :)

I sat out "front" when I was at Rick's cabin. Instead of people, I watched the sun rising and the water running by with a coffee. My wish would be to get to do that everyday! Oh, and he does have a deck out front and not the back. :)

BoogyMan
10-08-2017, 12:50 PM
Prefer to sit outside in the mid fall days early in the AM with a big cup of coffee and just watch the sun come up. Back yard is best so I can toss a ball for my dogs. When it is cool light a fire in the fire-pit and just relax. Unfortunately in Texas the times when that is comfortably doable are few.

Abbey Marie
10-09-2017, 11:19 AM
Been nagging to get a deck built for years! But I suppose that's behind the monkey, and then the snowblower. :dunno:

Good question!

I prefer the front, IF I sit outside, which is pretty much only when it rains as I love the smell and just love watching the rain for some reason. But overall, I try to avoid sitting outside. I prefer the front, as I like to watch what people are doing, but at the same time, I rarely go sit out as I hate people and prefer not to see or interact with them. :)

I sat out "front" when I was at Rick's cabin. Instead of people, I watched the sun rising and the water running by with a coffee. My wish would be to get to do that everyday! Oh, and he does have a deck out front and not the back. :)

Rick’s cabin is a unicorn I gather. I’d guess that you could sit out front naked and no one else would see you.

In a regular street situation, neighbors who sit out front bug me. They seem nosey, and I hate nosiness.

NightTrain
10-09-2017, 01:05 PM

Rick’s cabin is a unicorn I gather. I’d guess that you could sit out front naked and no one else would see you.

Yeah, I guess that's my favorite place to sit. It's therapeutic to relax in silence just listening to nature with the river flowing by.

Inevitably, though, my thoughts will soon turn to pondering what the fishing is like right now up through the canyon? Followed by a mental checklist - how much gas is in the boat? Better put 5 gallons in just to be safe. How many fishing poles on board? Tacklebox properly stocked? Should I take 1 dog or 2 for Early Warning? Don't forget the shotgun.

So my meditative state sitting in front of the cabin generally turns into action within 15 minutes or so... there's just too many other fun things to do.

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Yeah, I guess that's my favorite place to sit. It's therapeutic to relax in silence just listening to nature with the river flowing by.

Inevitably, though, my thoughts will soon turn to pondering what the fishing is like right now up through the canyon? Followed by a mental checklist - how much gas is in the boat? Better put 5 gallons in just to be safe. How many fishing poles on board? Tacklebox properly stocked? Should I take 1 dog or 2 for Early Warning? Don't forget the shotgun.

So my meditative state sitting in front of the cabin generally turns into action within 15 minutes or so... there's just too many other fun things to do.

Should be great, it sits at 5.11 feet and falling right now! Does getting shallower like that make it harder to navigate the boat?

I could use a 48hr time out there every few weeks, just to allow the dirty feeling of people and so many sounds to ooze off of me, then I can be good for a bit. I wish I had a place closer that I could go to, like you have that option.

NightTrain
10-09-2017, 02:04 PM
Should be great, it sits at 5.11 feet and falling right now! Does getting shallower like that make it harder to navigate the boat?

I could use a 48hr time out there every few weeks, just to allow the dirty feeling of people and so many sounds to ooze off of me, then I can be good for a bit. I wish I had a place closer that I could go to, like you have that option.

Watching my NOAA site, eh? Attaboy! :thumb:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pafc&gage=trta2

Yeah, anything less than 4' on the left "Stage" is dangerous for inboards. We came out at 3.6' back on Memorial Day and there were 3 inboards sucking gravel on the way down, including myself. So, anything below 4' and I won't bother. I could run up there right now but I've already winterized my boat... we're done for this year.

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Watching my NOAA site, eh? Attaboy! :thumb:

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=pafc&gage=trta2

Yeah, anything less than 4' on the left "Stage" is dangerous for inboards. We came out at 3.6' back on Memorial Day and there were 3 inboards sucking gravel on the way down, including myself. So, anything below 4' and I won't bother. I could run up there right now but I've already winterized my boat... we're done for this year.

Oh yeah, I check it every few days or so, as if I'm going to magically go fishing that day, 4500 miles away. :)

But but but.... what if you wanted to go to the cabin now? No luck until the river is frozen over? And when will that be?

I've been looking around in NY, like the Catskill Mtns, or maybe even further north. I wish there were a similar place I could go to every now and again that would have a similar vibe as far as "peace and quiet" is concerned.

hjmick
10-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Oh yeah, I check it every few days or so, as if I'm going to magically go fishing that day, 4500 miles away. :)

But but but.... what if you wanted to go to the cabin now? No luck until the river is frozen over? And when will that be?

I've been looking around in NY, like the Catskill Mtns, or maybe even further north. I wish there were a similar place I could go to every now and again that would have a similar vibe as far as "peace and quiet" is concerned.

OMG. When did you get so whiny?

Abbey Marie
10-09-2017, 06:57 PM

I can attest that sitting next to a lake in Maine is very relaxing. And the fishing is pretty good too. So they tell me, anyway; I've never fished.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Where I live now, in midst of Nature's glory I have great views front and back--but sitting out back I prefer as I see nobody and nobody sees me.
That cloud of solitary, flows right into my veins and my mind can launch back to days of my youth. Treasures I was blessed to find and stupid enough to toss away.
Early morn--weekends with a huge cup of very hot coffee and oft a book, I read and look about.
Such times recharge me and I begin to understand and finally accept- my past built the me, the me that is now..
Finally the one, that could be so very blessed with my beloved family.
Sitting in peace with --no demons to slay-- even if for only that morn,those fleeting thoughts and dreams-- is a treasure.... --Tyr

Abbey Marie
10-09-2017, 07:20 PM
Where I live now, in midst of Nature's glory I have great views front and back--but sitting out back I prefer as I see nobody and nobody sees me.
That cloud of solitary, flows right into my veins and my mind can launch back to days of my youth. Treasures I was blessed to find and stupid enough to toss away.
Early morn--weekends with a huge cup of very hot coffee and oft a book, I read and look about.
Such times recharge me and I begin to understand and finally accept- my past built the me, the me that is now..
Finally the one, that could be so very blessed with my beloved family.
Sitting in peace with --no demons to slay-- even if for only that morn,those fleeting thoughts and dreams-- is a treasure.... --Tyr

Beautifully expressed, Tyr. :thumb:

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 07:21 PM
OMG. When did you get so whiny?

Huh? What did I whine about?

Gunny
10-09-2017, 08:24 PM
Huh? What did I whine about?:drama:
:buttkick:

:happy0203:

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 08:43 PM
:drama:
:buttkick:

:happy0203:

My point was solely that I would love to find a place a little more local, to where I would be able to have a getaway of sorts, and get that peaceful feeling.

Or maybe it was the asking Rick about winterizing his boat, and how he would get to the cabin with no boat, and the river not frozen, so therefore no snow machines either!

I didn't see anything whiny, nor 'drama' :dunno:

Gunny
10-09-2017, 08:50 PM
My point was solely that I would love to find a place a little more local, to where I would be able to have a getaway of sorts, and get that peaceful feeling.

Or maybe it was the asking Rick about winterizing his boat, and how he would get to the cabin with no boat, and the river not frozen, so therefore no snow machines either!

I didn't see anything whiny, nor 'drama' :dunno:Jimbob ...

If you don't know me by now ....:laugh: I have ZERO clue what he's talking about. Opportunity knocked and YOUR name was on it:laugh2:

Lighten up, Ajax.

hjmick
10-09-2017, 08:53 PM
Huh? What did I whine about?

"But but but.... what if you wanted to go to the cabin now?"

I can just imagine you drawing out the word "now"...

Or maybe like Veruca Salt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9obgyYB1IU

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 09:16 PM
"But but but.... what if you wanted to go to the cabin now?"

The buts were just meant to be funny... It was a serious question. I know Rick has told me that he often likes to go at a spur of the moment, that it's his "happy place". I didn't think that it's been cold enough there to freeze 17mph moving waters yet. So wasn't sure if that was the ending of the cabin until a good freezing comes along for awhile, or if there was another alternative I was unaware of. I didn't become such a whiner. :) I was just surprised that he cut off one avenue to the cabin. But I would imagine the changing weather is a little different in Alaska than it is in my area. :) Although not in his home area, I believe was just dealing with a blizzard for a few days at a jobsite.

Gunny
10-09-2017, 09:20 PM
The buts were just meant to be funny... It was a serious question. I know Rick has told me that he often likes to go at a spur of the moment, that it's his "happy place". I didn't think that it's been cold enough there to freeze 17mph moving waters yet. So wasn't sure if that was the ending of the cabin until a good freezing comes along for awhile, or if there was another alternative I was unaware of. I didn't become such a whiner. :) I was just surprised that he cut off one avenue to the cabin. But I would imagine the changing weather is a little different in Alaska than it is in my area. :) Although not in his home area, I believe was just dealing with a blizzard for a few days at a jobsite.You're such an egghead sometimes, Data. :laugh:

jimnyc
10-09-2017, 09:21 PM
You're such an egghead sometimes, Data. :laugh:

eatabagofballs :)

NightTrain
10-09-2017, 09:27 PM

Well, if I REALLY wanted to go up right now, I'd put the canvas back on her, close the petcocks on the exhaust manifolds and seal the sand trap again... about an hour to get her functional again.

But I have to fly to Kodiak on Wednesday, so that's not going to happen.

Next trip will be on snowmachines, perhaps as early as New Year's... but usually the trailbreaker is 1st or 2nd week of January.

...and this is what I'll be breaking that trail with! Picking her up in 2 weeks. http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-indy-adventure-155

Electric start, electric reverse (no extra weight or parts - engine runs backwards at the push of a button), modular 2-up seat that takes 10 seconds to remove, 155" paddle track, articulating suspension, high-float skiis, the works. Going to be a fun winter.

Gunny
10-09-2017, 09:34 PM
eatabagofballs :)I know you've been watching football and I'm ratting you out. Well, maybe I kid will. Only thing that tweets in my room is if a bird flies in the window.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-09-2017, 10:00 PM
I have a good friend in Anchorage that is begging me to go up and visit. I worked with him at Reno Harley Davidson. If I went up, I think I'd drive to the Seattle and take a cruise ship up. I would seriously like to do that.

Abbey Marie
10-09-2017, 10:24 PM

I didn't see anything whiny, nor 'drama' :dunno:

There was no whining. :dunno:

Abbey Marie
10-09-2017, 10:26 PM

It's so, so hard to turn off the racing thoughts. And even harder as we get older. I took 8 credits of Zen Buddhism studies in college, and still cannot meditate worth a damn. Eventually, you just need a cocktail, lol.

Kathianne
10-10-2017, 02:13 AM
Well, if I REALLY wanted to go up right now, I'd put the canvas back on her, close the petcocks on the exhaust manifolds and seal the sand trap again... about an hour to get her functional again.

Next trip will be on snowmachines, perhaps as early as New Year's... but usually the trailbreaker is 1st or 2nd week of January.

...and this is what I'll be breaking that trail with! Picking her up in 2 weeks. http://www.polaris.com/en-us/snowmobiles/550-indy-adventure-155

Electric start, electric reverse (no extra weight or parts - engine runs backwards at the push of a button), modular 2-up seat that takes 10 seconds to remove, 155" paddle track, articulating suspension, high-float skiis, the works. Going to be a fun winter.

Now that looks like so much fun!

High_Plains_Drifter
10-10-2017, 02:38 AM
It's so, so hard to turn off the racing thoughts. And even harder as we get older. I took 8 credits of Zen Buddhism studies in college, and still cannot meditate worth a damn. Eventually, you just need a cocktail, lol.
Ya know... the time to be mellow and just let the mind be at ease I think seems to be the times closest to home. Enjoy where you're at, enjoy what you've done, find joy and solitude in the moment you're in. If you can make at last longer than just a fleeting moment, do it.

darin
10-10-2017, 03:45 AM
Peace =

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisit/images/Image-w-cred-cap_-1200w_-Visit-Proenneke-Cabin-Page_3.jpg

The older I get the more I want to dig-deeply into nature and cut away things that dont matter.

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Peace =

The older I get the more I want to dig-deeply into nature and cut away things that dont matter.

I'm with ya!

I honestly don't know how I would fare without certain things, but I could certainly do without non-stop "people" around, and non-stop vehicles and horns and all that crap. Just the sounds of nature.

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 06:40 AM

I call it!! LOL I want that sucker when I come up! Ok, I kid, I kid, but I definitely wanna at least try that sucker out in March!! I watched some videos, looks like that sucker will keep ya more than happy messing around and speeding around, on and off trail - and will also do all your hard work for you and will work with your sled!

I know you've been watching football and I'm ratting you out. Well, maybe I kid will. Only thing that tweets in my room is if a bird flies in the window.

I can't help it! I want to kick those who kneel so badly, but I live and breathe football! I still love it, just don't like that sole action is all. :(

I have a good friend in Anchorage that is begging me to go up and visit. I worked with him at Reno Harley Davidson. If I went up, I think I'd drive to the Seattle and take a cruise ship up. I would seriously like to do that.

Dude, GO, but take the bike all the way on the Alaska highway and avoid the cruise. Nighttrain rightfully pointed that out to me, that the cruise ship passengers are lead around like cattle once the shore is reached. I'm sure it would be beautiful getting there though!

Racing thoughts, the story and horror of my life. Nothing like taking 9 hours to fall asleep because of racing thoughts. Or unable to focus and work appropriately as a result. :(

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 09:06 AM

Is he working at the Harley Shop off Spenard in Anchorage? I've been there a few times and know a couple of guys there.

Cruises would be fun, I would just advise you to not sign up for the total package for inland tourist stuff - those people are literally treated like cattle in the big tour buses : "Okay, we're stopping here for 20 minutes, so get off the bus, buy your overpriced tourist shit and be back on board so we can haul ass to the next outfit that paid us a monstrous kickback to bring you to." I'd take the cruise and then do your own thing in the time between sailings... maybe a 1-way cruise up, do your thing here and then fly back when YOU'RE ready, not when the ship departs again.

I've been known to wax philosophic with a few cocktails on the front deck of L5!

I wouldn't say my mind races unless there's some weird shit going down. Sometimes I'll lounge & take it easy but generally I'm wired to go do something when I'm there because it's my favorite place to be and there's things to do!

Peace =

https://www.nps.gov/lacl/planyourvisit/images/Image-w-cred-cap_-1200w_-Visit-Proenneke-Cabin-Page_3.jpg

Yeah. However, the roar of a 302 behind me helps soothe the soul. Especially when we get into the 4-Barrel territory of throttle settings. Zen, baby! :happy0203:

I call it!! LOL I want that sucker when I come up! Ok, I kid, I kid, but I definitely wanna at least try that sucker out in March!! I watched some videos, looks like that sucker will keep ya more than happy messing around and speeding around, on and off trail - and will also do all your hard work for you and will work with your sled!

Absolutely! I still have the other snowmachines and you'll have your own sled while you're here, but of course you'll get to ride the new one. No wrecking NT's new toy or we'll go find a hibernating Griz! :no:

I got this one because it's capable of pulling freight behind it - all the new snowmachines have been cut away on the chassis so that they're extremely lightweight and can't pull anything as a result. This one still has a solid, beefy tunnel running all the way back to the rear bumper. It's a little more heavy, but it's what I need to be able to pull 2,000# on the freighter sled behind it. I still have to haul up the metal roofing, insulation and more lumber this coming winter.

Sharon would prefer to ride behind me instead of driving her own machine (I don't understand that but I accept it), so that's why I'm getting that 2-up option to put on there when she wants to go up.

That 155" paddle track & high-float skiis will make this a deep powder beast when we're out playing or trailbreaking. Pretty much a great all around sled, and that 550 fan is a very solid engine.

darin
10-10-2017, 09:07 AM
agreed. it's like WhiteNoise (no racial implication). :)

btw - just applied - long shot - but applied for a job near Delta Junction. I'd be more way the hell OUT THERE than you even! #isolation :)

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 09:26 AM
agreed. it's like WhiteNoise (no racial implication). :)

btw - just applied - long shot - but applied for a job near Delta Junction. I'd be more way the hell OUT THERE than you even! #isolation :)

Yikes!

That's a cold region of AK, buddy... better pack your cold weather gear. And buy some more.

It's about 100 miles out of Fairbanks, and about 4 hours from here.

How long is the commitment?

Abbey Marie
10-10-2017, 09:47 AM

I've been known to wax philosophic with a few cocktails on the front deck of L5!

I got this one because it's capable of pulling freight behind it - all the new snowmachines have been cut away on the chassis so that they're extremely lightweight and can't pull anything as a result. This one still has a solid, beefy tunnel running all the way back to the rear bumper. It's a little more heavy, but it's what I need to be able to pull 2,000# on the freighter sled behind it. I still have to haul up the metal roofing, insulation and more lumber this coming winter.

Sharon would prefer to ride behind me instead of driving her own machine (I don't understand that but I accept it), so that's why I'm getting that 2-up option to put on there when she wants to go up.

That 155" paddle track & high-float skiis will make this a deep powder beast when we're out playing or trailbreaking. Pretty much a great all around sled, and that 550 fan is a very solid engine.

Maybe Sharon just likes having her arms around her guy. ;)

darin
10-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Yikes!

That's a cold region of AK, buddy... better pack your cold weather gear. And buy some more.

It's about 100 miles out of Fairbanks, and about 4 hours from here.

How long is the commitment?

If i took it, i have 3 years there. I know its awfully isolated...but i got this. Because i watch the kilchers all the time. Makes me an expert :-)

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 10:23 AM
If i took it, i have 3 years there. I know its awfully isolated...but i got this. Because i watch the kilchers all the time. Makes me an expert :-)

Haha!

I know I've talked about those idiots before... but they live literally 5 miles away from McDonald's in downtown Homer. I watched about 5 minutes of that crap and had to turn it off.

They're as legit as Maxine Waters' James Brown wig.

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Absolutely! I still have the other snowmachines and you'll have your own sled while you're here, but of course you'll get to ride the new one. No wrecking NT's new toy or we'll go find a hibernating Griz! :no:

Oh hell, was mostly kidding!! I'll definitely give her a go in a straight out area where we can play. But I'm not riding elsewhere and ending up paying for a $10k snow machine that I just dropped in the river - and dropped my body temps to 91 degrees like you!! See that, I paid attention, remember that story perfectly along with the temps.

Which is another thing. Will I be able to meet or will Chris be around in March?

High_Plains_Drifter
10-10-2017, 10:49 AM
Is he working at the Harley Shop off Spenard in Anchorage? I've been there a few times and know a couple of guys there.
He did work at the Harley shop for awhile when he went back home. Last I heard he was driving a tow truck though. He's a native Alaskan, huge long black ponytail, name is Boya Lemley.

Cruises would be fun, I would just advise you to not sign up for the total package for inland tourist stuff - those people are literally treated like cattle in the big tour buses : "Okay, we're stopping here for 20 minutes, so get off the bus, buy your overpriced tourist shit and be back on board so we can haul ass to the next outfit that paid us a monstrous kickback to bring you to." I'd take the cruise and then do your own thing in the time between sailings... maybe a 1-way cruise up, do your thing here and then fly back when YOU'RE ready, not when the ship departs again.
Yeah I hear that. No way I could be herded around like a COW... ;)
I would still like the cruise, but I'd have to be foot lose when I hit Alaska, probably just buy a one way ticket. Maybe even take a train home, something. Buy a return cruise ticket when I'm ready to leave if that's possible. Alaska would be fun. I'd like even see that little town, McCarthy, way the hell back in the middle of nowhere. I'm afraid I might find somewhere I wouldn't want to leave. Not too sure about winter though. Bad enough here in Wisconsin.

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Oh hell, was mostly kidding!! I'll definitely give her a go in a straight out area where we can play. But I'm not riding elsewhere and ending up paying for a $10k snow machine that I just dropped in the river - and dropped my body temps to 91 degrees like you!! See that, I paid attention, remember that story perfectly along with the temps.

I'm not worried about it, I'll brief you before we roll.

Which is another thing. Will I be able to meet or will Chris be around in March?

I'm working on it... he just had his shoulder replaced & is recovering. His doc told him if he screws up that shoulder by over-exerting it, then that's it - there is no 2nd chance, so Chris is reluctant to take chances. Still, if this year freezes as perfectly as last year, it'll be a no brainer and he'll come up in March. All depends on the river freeze and snowfall - some years it's a terrible freeze with jagged chunks of ice standing upright everywhere and sometimes it's like a highway all the way up.

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 11:09 AM
He did work at the Harley shop for awhile when he went back home. Last I heard he was driving a tow truck though. He's a native Alaskan, huge long black ponytail, name is Boya Lemley.

Nope, don't know him. Last guy I knew working there was Chris.... damn, forgot his last name. He went by "FOG", though : Fuckin' Old Guy. Hell of a nice guy, haven't talked to him in 15 years or more, though.

Yeah I hear that. No way I could be herded around like a COW... ;)
I would still like the cruise, but I'd have to be foot lose when I hit Alaska, probably just buy a one way ticket. Maybe even take a train home, something. Buy a return cruise ticket when I'm ready to leave if that's possible. Alaska would be fun. I'd like even see that little town, McCarthy, way the hell back in the middle of nowhere. I'm afraid I might find somewhere I wouldn't want to leave. Not too sure about winter though. Bad enough here in Wisconsin.

I haven't been to McCarthy, yet... one of the few towns I haven't been to. It doesn't sound very alluring to me, but there's a lot of history there. It's just a matter of time before I get there, though, every town needs comm work & upgrades eventually.

I used to live in WI and still have a bunch of family there. It's hard to explain, but it's warmer here than it is in WI. Not by ambient, but because of the humidity factor. 20 degrees in WI is a hell of a lot colder than 20 here in this region of AK. The big difference is that the winters don't last as long down there... we get at least another month of outright winter, but it's so warm in March with the sun beating down & reflecting off the snow that we're riding snowmachines in T-shirts, shades and gloves, getting sunburned. I know it sounds like bullshit, but it's true - I've done it almost every year for decades.

There's no rail link to the Lower 48... they've talked about linking up with Canada, but it hasn't happened. So, you have to drive, fly or float here. If you do come up, hit me up and I'll show you around. Jim and I had a hell of a good time last July and he's coming up again in March to see the Iditarod & go riding.

Abbey Marie
10-10-2017, 03:54 PM
Rick and Darin living in Alaska at the same time?! Can one state handle all that manliness?

:coffee:

NightTrain
10-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Rick and Darin living in Alaska at the same time?! Can one state handle all that manliness?

:coffee:

We'll have to import the Swedish Bikini Rafting Team to balance things out. ;)

LongTermGuy
10-11-2017, 12:23 AM
We'll have to import the Swedish Bikini Rafting Team to balance things out. ;)

:thumb:
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1701880/swedish-bikini-team-o.gif
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.PKLTA6AdxRxR8vI7clTNaAEsDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=218&h=164

darin
10-11-2017, 04:01 AM
:thumb:
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/1701880/swedish-bikini-team-o.gif
https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.PKLTA6AdxRxR8vI7clTNaAEsDh&pid=15.1&P=0&w=218&h=164

do....want....so....much..

https://www.louderwithcrowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/DramaticCryingReaction.gif

SassyLady
10-31-2017, 02:03 AM
Out back.

Lazy days.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10970&stc=1

Moon rise
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10971&stc=1

Sunset reflection on eastern side of valley.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10972&stc=1

Monsoon coming.
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10973&stc=1

Monsoon at sunset
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10974&stc=1

Kathianne
10-31-2017, 07:03 AM
Sassy's backyard is phenomenal, I can testify to that! Actually she's surrounded by beauty, but the backyard is certainly the most comfortable!

NightTrain
10-31-2017, 07:20 AM
Hot damn that's a nice yard!

Gunny
10-31-2017, 02:43 PM
Hot damn that's a nice yard!You can't beat lawn care in the desert. That's a nice yard.

KitchenKitten99
11-07-2017, 04:24 PM
late to the party but my view from my front porch is awesome no matter what time of day or year.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10988&stc=1

KitchenKitten99
11-07-2017, 04:26 PM