PDA

View Full Version : Fly me to the moon: Space Hotel sees 2012 opening

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 05:15 AM
BARCELONA (Reuters) - "Galactic Suite," the first hotel planned in space, expects to open for business in 2012 and would allow guests to travel around the world in 80 minutes.

Its Barcelona-based architects say the space hotel will be the most expensive in the galaxy, costing $4 million for a three-day stay.

During that time guests would see the sun rise 15 times a day and use Velcro suits to crawl around their pod rooms by sticking themselves to the walls like Spiderman.

Company director Xavier Claramunt says the three-bedroom boutique hotel's joined up pod structure, which makes it look like a model of molecules, was dictated by the fact that each pod room had to fit inside a rocket to be taken into space.

"It's the bathrooms in zero gravity that are the biggest challenge," says Claramunt. "How to accommodate the more intimate activities of the guests is not easy."

But they may have solved the issue of how to take a shower in weightlessness -- the guests will enter a spa room in which bubbles of water will float around.

Full Story
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070810/tc_nm/space_hotel_dc

How cool is this! four million is pretty pricey for a three day stay though. This is pretty wild though. It almost reminds me of parts of the movie The Fifth Element.

I wonder how long until the price comes down and is affordible? Is this going to be like the Space Station we are building?

red states rule
08-12-2007, 06:21 AM
BARCELONA (Reuters) - "Galactic Suite," the first hotel planned in space, expects to open for business in 2012 and would allow guests to travel around the world in 80 minutes.

Its Barcelona-based architects say the space hotel will be the most expensive in the galaxy, costing $4 million for a three-day stay.

During that time guests would see the sun rise 15 times a day and use Velcro suits to crawl around their pod rooms by sticking themselves to the walls like Spiderman.

Company director Xavier Claramunt says the three-bedroom boutique hotel's joined up pod structure, which makes it look like a model of molecules, was dictated by the fact that each pod room had to fit inside a rocket to be taken into space.

"It's the bathrooms in zero gravity that are the biggest challenge," says Claramunt. "How to accommodate the more intimate activities of the guests is not easy."

But they may have solved the issue of how to take a shower in weightlessness -- the guests will enter a spa room in which bubbles of water will float around.

Full Story

How cool is this! four million is pretty pricey for a three day stay though. This is pretty wild though. It almost reminds me of parts of the movie The Fifth Element.

I wonder how long until the price comes down and is affordible? Is this going to be like the Space Station we are building?

Great. Now lets put a Burger King up there along with a Starbucks

medical 2933
08-14-2007, 01:16 PM
the guests will enter a spa room in which bubbles of water will float around.

nevadamedic
08-14-2007, 04:00 PM
the guests will enter a spa room in which bubbles of water will float around.

That makes no sense to me at all................

Gaffer
08-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Even if the price came down to 29.95 a person I would still pass on this. Have they considered the re entry problems? If NASA has problems with the shuttle I am not about to trust riding in and out of the atmosphere to a hotel chain. Not to mention you have to be physically able to handle the rigors of a launch. It's still too soon for space tours and space hotels.

red states rule
08-14-2007, 07:57 PM
Even if the price came down to 29.95 a person I would still pass on this. Have they considered the re entry problems? If NASA has problems with the shuttle I am not about to trust riding in and out of the atmosphere to a hotel chain. Not to mention you have to be physically able to handle the rigors of a launch. It's still too soon for space tours and space hotels.

Valid point. I wonder how the left will blame Bush for the problem with the shuttle?

actsnoblemartin
08-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I wonder how much rooms will cost

Full Story

red states rule
08-17-2007, 04:39 AM