PDA

View Full Version : Tylenol PM

jimnyc
10-06-2017, 10:10 AM
And I'll never touch that shit again.

I took that last night prior to bed.I woke up at like midnight and my legs were running a mile a minute. That shit is supposed to help people sleep too, but has the opposite effect on me. And that was 2 nights in a row! I just never suspected that as the issue.

Anyone have "restless leg syndrome"? It SUCKS. Feels like you have to toss and turn literally all night, like bugs inside your skin and you cannot sleep. I took more xanax to overcome it and nothing worked.

Then this morning I looked it up - diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in this and other similar products, is known to give that side effect to some. And of course I'm one of them. I "slept" for about 14 hours, or I should I tried for that long, and probably got 2-3 hours if I'm lucky.

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 10:19 AM
Just looked up diphenhydramine, another indicator that you may have adult ADD.

One of the reasons it's fairly easy to tell if medication for ADD works or not for kids is that it causes noticeable changes quite quickly. 'Speed' slows them down; 'Downers' speed their systems up.

jimnyc
10-06-2017, 10:40 AM
Just looked up diphenhydramine, another indicator that you may have adult ADD.

One of the reasons it's fairly easy to tell if medication for ADD works or not for kids is that it causes noticeable changes quite quickly. 'Speed' slows them down; 'Downers' speed their systems up.

Hmmm... can you PM me anything you may have seen? I'm like "Johnny 5" from short circuit and always looking for input, especially if it deals with my own health, or shit like this that makes sleeping difficult.

Or you can post it here. not like it's super secret confidential double probation information! :laugh:

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Hmmm... can you PM me anything you may have seen? I'm like "Johnny 5" from short circuit and always looking for input, especially if it deals with my own health, or shit like this that makes sleeping difficult.

Or you can post it here. not like it's super secret confidential double probation information! :laugh:

This gives a person's perspective who wasn't diagnosed as a child, she has more, just google her name and ADHD:

https://theestablishment.co/the-process-of-getting-better-can-really-suck-6fee6b8e1f1c

https://theestablishment.co/how-i-came-to-understand-my-adult-adhd-2c77bf0a46dd

https://theestablishment.co/why-adults-with-undiagnosed-adhd-often-turn-to-self-medication-de0ca2e2d0cd

https://theestablishment.co/how-to-combat-the-negative-self-talk-caused-by-adhd-52a62d865a7c

I know my son, who had severe ADHD as a kid, still recognizes that coffee helps 'calm' his wondering a bit and alcohol makes him jittery. Both help in different ways though in keeping 'focus.' He's careful with both, though more so alcohol, he is a bit off coffee freak, he knows what self-medicating can do.

pete311
10-06-2017, 12:08 PM
I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl.

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl.

Benedryl contains diphenhydramine, Benedryl is not an ingredient of Tylenol PM.

pete311
10-06-2017, 12:36 PM
Benedryl contains diphenhydramine, Benedryl is not an ingredient of Tylenol PM.

Seriously? Benedryl is diphenhydramine. Are you going to bust my chops when I say I used a Kleenex too?

NightTrain
10-06-2017, 12:46 PM
Seriously? Benedryl is diphenhydramine. Are you going to bust my chops when I say I used a Kleenex too?

Tissue?

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Both have diphenhydramine as their active ingredient, both contain other ingredients.

jimnyc
10-06-2017, 01:27 PM
https://theestablishment.co/why-adults-with-undiagnosed-adhd-often-turn-to-self-medication-de0ca2e2d0cd

This one I can embarrassingly relate to. I've never once used the term "self medicate" as it always sounded like an excuse to me. I always and honestly thought I was getting high to get high.

I've been bouncing off the walls since I was a toddler. I was always thin because I never stopped. Athletic as hell. Always on the move. And what I never paid attention to before, which I have in my latter years - is that I do have an inability to focus, or listen, if it's got any length to it at all. I just always chalked it up to being hyper, just who I was.

Damn, I just know that no one is going to believe this - but I've tried some illegal substances over the years! Yeah, yeah, I know. :) :)

While I've done "speed" type drugs before, they are just not for me. My thing was a way to escape reality, something to subdue me, make me sleep, relax - I guess downers if you will. I thought it was just getting high, but I do see a pattern looking back. The weed smoking was always my way out from reality. I could still function, I could actually focus better at times, it relaxed me, helped me sleep, and most importantly, kept my "racing thoughts" at bay, which would keep me up all night or make me too hyper during the day.

But then even when I quit the illicit stuff, that's when I went to a doctor. Ultimately, with ALL of the truth on the table, the drugs continued - but now legally, and to more or less accomplish the same thing. :dunno: Without them, I would still be that nutty guy running off the rails daily, or literally unable to sleep but for more than a handful of hours.

Alcohol too. You have fun while drinking it, and then it would ultimately help me sleep of course. It was never really my cup of tea though. And of course coffee!! :coffee:

jimnyc
10-06-2017, 01:29 PM
I agree, I feel very weird on Tylenol PM. Uneasy, drowsy but not sleepy. It's the benadryl diphenhydramine.

It's not semantics, she's pointing out a valid difference.

Both have diphenhydramine as their active ingredient, both contain other ingredients.

Correctomundo!

pete311
10-06-2017, 01:40 PM
It's not semantics, she's pointing out a valid difference.

Correctomundo!

My statement is not any less understood. Benadryl is more commonly understood than diphenhydramine which is why I used it. Inactive ingredients (aka fillers) are not important.

jimnyc
10-06-2017, 02:40 PM
My statement is not any less understood. Benadryl is more commonly understood than diphenhydramine which is why I used it. Inactive ingredients (aka fillers) are not important.

Understood? Perhaps so, since it's kinda part of the discussion. Correct? Absolutely not. There are a lot of drugs with that active ingredient. One wouldn't say that "benadryl" is in any of them. It's simply shares a same ingredient.

Abbey Marie
10-06-2017, 02:42 PM
I know my son, who had severe ADHD as a kid, still recognizes that coffee helps 'calm' his wondering a bit and alcohol makes him jittery. Both help in different ways though in keeping 'focus.' He's careful with both, though more so alcohol, he is a bit of a coffee freak, he knows what self-medicating can do.

Gee, I wonder where he got that trait.

:coffee:

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 03:30 PM
Gee, I wonder where he got that trait.

:coffee:

LOL! The other two don't touch coffee. Go figure!

Kathianne
10-06-2017, 03:32 PM
Understood? Perhaps so, since it's kinda part of the discussion. Correct? Absolutely not. There are a lot of drugs with that active ingredient. One wouldn't say that "benadryl" is in any of them. It's simply shares a same ingredient.

Now Pete negged me for correcting his misstatement. I of course, returned the favor.

I don't neg very often, but will always return it. ;)

NightTrain
10-06-2017, 03:37 PM
Now Pete negged me for correcting his misstatement. I of course, returned the favor.

I don't neg very often, but will always return it. ;)

He did, did he?

I'd better get in on that action. I'm feeling ornery.

PostmodernProphet
10-06-2017, 04:40 PM
stop washing them down with tequila.......

Elessar
10-06-2017, 04:42 PM
Aleve PM. I through out my back 3 days ago and that is the only thing that helps me to sleep right now.

I am pretty immune to most pain relievers. I had 250 mg Vicodine prescribed after knee surgery, and it did not
phase me! But my son had 125 mg after his hand surgery and it knocked him out!

Everyone's body chemistry is different.

Gunny
10-06-2017, 05:55 PM

I took that last night prior to bed.I woke up at like midnight and my legs were running a mile a minute. That shit is supposed to help people sleep too, but has the opposite effect on me. And that was 2 nights in a row! I just never suspected that as the issue.

Anyone have "restless leg syndrome"? It SUCKS. Feels like you have to toss and turn literally all night, like bugs inside your skin and you cannot sleep. I took more xanax to overcome it and nothing worked.

Then this morning I looked it up - diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in this and other similar products, is known to give that side effect to some. And of course I'm one of them. I "slept" for about 14 hours, or I should I tried for that long, and probably got 2-3 hours if I'm lucky.Where's the vid? You video everything else. I want see you hanging from the ceiling fan with it turned on high talking 200 miles an hour fast than you already talk.

Black Diamond
10-06-2017, 08:40 PM
So Kath grabbed petey by the pussy.

Gunny
10-06-2017, 08:48 PM
So Kath grabbed petey by the pussy.I don't get it :laugh:. For all the shit Pete could hand out neg reps for ... THIS? :laugh: And of course, let's neg someone with one of if not the highest rep on the board:rolleyes:

Pete, you're my hero :laugh2:

Black Diamond
10-06-2017, 09:31 PM
I don't get it :laugh:. For all the shit Pete could hand out neg reps for ... THIS? :laugh: And of course, let's neg someone with one of if not the highest rep on the board:rolleyes:

Pete, you're my hero :laugh2:
Heavy days for petey.

mundame
10-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Interesting thread. I take Tylenol PM nearly every night, half a pill. If I'm desperate, a whole pill. Without it, I can't hope to sleep through. I don't get the paradoxical effect of arousal with Tylenol PM, but I have had it with Nyquil. Nyquil is a great drug, but I have to be careful not to swig more than a minimum. It really gives me a good night's sleep, but I only take it if I have a cold, because it's so strong.

It's age that causes impaired sleep relative to how well we used to sleep. I doubt it's actually a bad thing --- just natural to the stage of life, like babies sleeping so much or teenagers sleeping late, I've read.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-07-2017, 10:49 AM

Then this morning I looked it up - diphenhydramine, the active ingredient in this and other similar products, is known to give that side effect to some. And of course I'm one of them. I "slept" for about 14 hours, or I should I tried for that long, and probably got 2-3 hours if I'm lucky.
Have you ever tried Melatonin, Jim?

https://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/tc/melatonin-overview#1

Abbey Marie
10-07-2017, 04:19 PM
LOL! The other two don't touch coffee. Go figure!

Did you do anything differently while preggers wth any of them?

During my couple of months of all-day nausea, I craved... wait for it... Taco Bell tacos. Something I didn't eat before or since, lol.

So, guess what my daughter loves? Yup, Mexican food.

darin
10-10-2017, 03:18 AM
I haven't had the benadryl in anything I take affect me differently - but nyquil is easily the best for me - the liquid, not the pills.

Benadryl = diphenhydramine. They are synonymous in the medical field. It's like the word Kleenex.

Kathianne
10-10-2017, 03:45 AM
Did you do anything differently while preggers wth any of them?

During my couple of months of all-day nausea, I craved... wait for it... Taco Bell tacos. Something I didn't eat before or since, lol.

So, guess what my daughter loves? Yup, Mexican food.

The three kids, just like the pregnancies are very different, but similar. LOL! With Kendall I was very sick, every day. Gained all of 11 pounds up to the day she was born. Lots of drama in delivery, but she was perfect at birth.

With Bryan, I was 'nesting' and feeling great the entire pregnancy. Delivery almost without a hitch, then 'boom.' Neo-natal cardiology, neurology, some others, "Stat." Scary 15 minutes. He had slight heart abnormality, caused breathing issues. He's OK, but wouldn't qualify for military service.

With Derek, I was in between the other two. Exhausted the entire time, but with two toddlers I guess that would be normal. Delivery with him was plain weird. At 1pm had just returned from non-stress test and told to come back in two days-he wasn't 'in a hurry.' By 3 was heading back to the hospital in the city. Suddenly the traffic just stopped on the expressway. Driving past Rush-Presbyterian, thought of just stopping there since I was like dying, but pushed on to University of Chicago where my doc was. Should have stopped at the first. LOL!

Bruce Springsteen concert at Soldier Field was filling up. School bus had an accident, some kids were killed. :(
Really messed up LSD. When I got to the hospital, they just cut off my jeans and he made his appearance in minutes. I was just lucky to be built the way I am, normal person would have had the baby in the car. ;)

Never had 'cravings.' I cut out caffeine and smoking with all of them, though with Kendall went back with OB's blessing of sorts, after the 3rd month. (Yeah, there's a story with that.) In general I was just into super good eating and exercise-though it didn't matter with Kendall, nothing stayed with us.

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 06:17 AM
I haven't had the benadryl in anything I take affect me differently - but nyquil is easily the best for me - the liquid, not the pills.

Benadryl = diphenhydramine. They are synonymous in the medical field. It's like the word Kleenex.

Would you say that Benadryl and Unisom are the same medications, just because they share the same active ingredient?

Admittedly though, many use the benadryl for a sleep aid just as they do the Unisom! But it really is just one ingredient shared.

darin
10-10-2017, 07:30 AM
Would you say that Benadryl and Unisom are the same medications, just because they share the same active ingredient?

Admittedly though, many use the benadryl for a sleep aid just as they do the Unisom! But it really is just one ingredient shared.

Yeah. I say they are the same. Most sleep/nighttime meds use +/- the same antihistamine. The active ingredient is all that really matters because the other ingredients aren't active...they don't DO anything really :)

If my kid/dog/loved-one gets be stung and starts to react, and I scream "Get Benadryl!!" you'd better bring anything with an anti-histamine. :)

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 07:40 AM
Yeah. I say they are the same. Most sleep/nighttime meds use +/- the same antihistamine. The active ingredient is all that really matters because the other ingredients aren't active...they don't DO anything really :)

If my kid/dog/loved-one gets be stung and starts to react, and I scream "Get Benadryl!!" you'd better bring anything with an anti-histamine. :)

But you wouldn't want me to bring him unisom. :) Then again, it would likely work, just make him sleepy too, which of course the benadryl would do. Also, it's possible that other medicines with diphenhydramine, may also have another active ingredient that you don't want. But I know what you're saying and agree otherwise. :)

Rick's wife had some spray when I was visiting them, The forehead sting I got hurt like hell! But she sprayed this crap, I wiped it in a tad, and within seconds the pain was gone and the swelling going down already. Good product, whatever it was!

Abbey Marie
10-10-2017, 07:41 AM
Why would a sleep aid have any ingredient that makes (some?) people anxious? Counter-intuitive, no? That's all I would need at night is something to make me feel even less sleepy!

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 07:42 AM
Why would a sleep aid have any ingredient that makes (some?) people anxious? Counter-intuitive, no? That's all I would need at night is something to make me feel even less sleepy!

It's not supposed to! The medicine sometimes have the counter effect on some people. It made me fidgety as hell and unable to sleep. But with 99% of folks it will make the sleepy. I'm just lucky, I guess. :)

Abbey Marie
10-10-2017, 07:47 AM
It's not supposed to! The medicine sometimes have the counter effect on some people. It made me fidgety as hell and unable to sleep. But with 99% of folks it will make the sleepy. I'm just lucky, I guess. :)

I'll bet it would have that effect on me, too. It doesn't take much to make me feel "speedy".

I hate it!

darin
10-10-2017, 07:54 AM
But you wouldn't want me to bring him unisom. :) Then again, it would likely work, just make him sleepy too, which of course the benadryl would do. Also, it's possible that other medicines with diphenhydramine, may also have another active ingredient that you don't want. But I know what you're saying and agree otherwise. :)

Rick's wife had some spray when I was visiting them, The forehead sting I got hurt like hell! But she sprayed this crap, I wiped it in a tad, and within seconds the pain was gone and the swelling going down already. Good product, whatever it was!

Of course bring Unisom if that's what you have - because almost ALL sleep meds are simply anti-histamines anyway. Any other ingredient they may have (like, tylenol in Tylenol PM) is just gravy. :)

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 08:05 AM
Of course bring Unisom if that's what you have - because almost ALL sleep meds are simply anti-histamines anyway. Any other ingredient they may have (like, tylenol in Tylenol PM) is just gravy. :)

Not mine, I use a prescription sleep aid, only the high test in my stuff. :)

darin
10-10-2017, 08:59 AM
Not mine, I use a prescription sleep aid, only the high test in my stuff. :)

:D

Righto - am speaking of - and should have clarified - OTC sleep pills. :)

jimnyc
10-10-2017, 09:00 AM
:D

Righto - am speaking of - and should have clarified - OTC sleep pills. :)

Yups, shit I have would most likely make others sleep for 12 hours or so at minimum. :)

darin
10-10-2017, 09:23 AM
Yups, shit I have would most likely make others sleep for 12 hours or so at minimum. :)

For me that happened when laying in bed and she was talkin' about her hopes and dreams and fears and junk or stuff....puts me right out.

Abbey Marie
10-10-2017, 09:51 AM
For me that happened when laying in bed and she was talkin' about her hopes and dreams and fears and junk or stuff....puts me right out.

:no: