PDA

View Full Version : Players will stand - Roger Goodell

jimnyc
10-11-2017, 01:27 PM
Or will some still ignore anyway? Does this make him have slave owner mentality as well? :rolleyes: Somehow, I don't think this will end it instantly.

Some have already written "Trump wins". No he doesn't. Sadly, no one wins. Things will be back to 'normal'. No message will be coming across. Complaints will be that things are forced, slavery, blacks ignored.... STILL, they should find another way and STILL get their message across, as I agree with them and it is important. But the fact is, it's not an NFL issue. It's simply NFL players with a platform. And they can still take advantage of that.

---

Roger Goodell sends letter to NFL teams, wants players to stand during anthem

The NFL has developed a plan to "move past" its ongoing debate about player protests during the national anthem and could enact it next week, commissioner Roger Goodell wrote Tuesday in a letter to all 32 teams.

Goodell made it clear in the letter, obtained by ESPN's Adam Schefter, that he wants players to stand during the anthem. He did not provide specifics on how he intends to ensure it, but he wrote that it would "include such elements as an in-season platform to promote the work of our players on these core issues."

The issue will be discussed, and likely acted upon, during the NFL's regularly-scheduled fall meetings on Oct. 17-18.

In the letter, Goodell said he wanted to end the controversy by agreeing on a uniform approach for all teams.

"Like many of our fans," Goodell wrote, "we believe that everyone should stand for the national anthem. It is an important moment in our game. We want to honor our flag and our country, and our fans expect that of us.

"We also care deeply about our players and respect their opinions and concerns about critical social issues. The controversy over the Anthem is a barrier to having honest conversations and making real progress on the underlying issues. We need to move past this controversy, and we want to do that together with our players."

The NFL's current anthem policy states that players "should" stand for the anthem, but it stops short of requiring it.

The proposed new policy is the result of "many of discussions with clubs and players," Goodell added.

President Donald Trump has called on NFL owners since last month to fire players who do not stand for the anthem, saying their protest "disrespects the flag" and the country. The issue intensified last weekend, when Vice President Mike Pence walked out of the 49ers-Colts game because more than 20 players from the 49ers kneeled during the anthem.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20980456/roger-goodell-sends-letter-nfl-teams-wants-players-stand-national-anthem

Trump: 'About Time' NFL Demanded Players Stand for Anthem

President Donald Trump took to Twitter Wednesday morning offering praise for National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell about players standing during the national anthem at NFL games.

https://i.imgur.com/K5Xm3PG.pngp

Goodell had sent a letter Tuesday ordering players to stand for the anthem.

Also on Tuesday, NFL Hall of Fame member Joe Namath pointed out that the beginning of the protest was because Colin Kaepernick was calling attention to racial injustice.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/trump-nfl-national-anthem/2017/10/11/id/818977/

Black Diamond
10-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Don't the owners have to vote on this issue ?

Black Diamond
10-11-2017, 01:47 PM
And if teams stay in the locker room, screw them. I guarantee Pete Carroll will keep his team in locker room if at all possible. And what about black power signs during the anthem?
The horseshit will continue and fans will continue to stay away until goodell and NFL players and owners get their collective head out of their ass.

jimnyc
10-11-2017, 01:51 PM
Don't the owners have to vote on this issue ?

For permanent changes they will be meeting before long, for their typical fall owners meetings. But Goodell has a LOT of power of course. He can do this, and perhaps even fine players that ignore him.

hjmick
10-11-2017, 03:28 PM
I dislike Goodell so much that I hope they continue to kneel while flipping him the bird...

First it was about social injustices...

Okay, I get that...

Then it became a protest of Trump (and still is, in my opinion, no one can really say otherwise at this point)...

Okay, I get that...

Now it will all be about Goodell...

Way to dilute your message guys. Good show!

Abbey Marie
10-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Seriously, folks, just stop watching. It's very freeing.

hjmick
10-11-2017, 05:14 PM
Seriously, folks, just stop watching. It's very freeing.

I only watch if the Texans are on. That's not often.

Gunny
10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
I only watch if the Texans are on. That's not often.Should live here. Texans, Cowboys and/or any NFC East team every week. Been worse. You used to live in ABQ, right? Broncos, Cardinals or an AFC West game. Easy to quit watching football THERE.