PDA

View Full Version : This is your government...

Joe Steel
08-12-2007, 06:44 AM
This is your government.

http://lh4.google.com/DeepuRoy/RmInM_zWKhI/AAAAAAAAAAA/JfjLXZxq6fM/DSC_0132.JPG?imgmax=512

This is your government on conservatism.

http://lh3.google.com/CSaxonMN/RrJu1huyhoI/AAAAAAAAAAA/azfxjIDFkbE/capt.f4e2ef14cb6842d0953a95e3b50c6c16.bridge_colla pse_ny122.jpg?imgmax=320

Any questions?

red states rule
08-12-2007, 06:45 AM
This is your government.

http://lh4.google.com/DeepuRoy/RmInM_zWKhI/AAAAAAAAAAA/JfjLXZxq6fM/DSC_0132.JPG?imgmax=512

http://lh3.google.com/CSaxonMN/RrJu1huyhoI/AAAAAAAAAAA/azfxjIDFkbE/capt.f4e2ef14cb6842d0953a95e3b50c6c16.bridge_colla pse_ny122.jpg?imgmax=320

Any questions?

I knew the kook left would not wait long to blame Pres Bush for the collapse

Libs are living down to all my expectations

Joe Steel
08-12-2007, 06:55 AM
The American infrastructure is crumbling because of conservatives. Let the blame be placed where it belongs.

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 06:56 AM
The American infrastructure is crumbling because of conservatives. Let the blame be placed where it belongs.

Whatever you say Josie.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 06:57 AM

Please seem help at your local mental health ward ASAP

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 07:00 AM
Please seem help at your local mental health ward ASAP

They kicked him out, they said he was by far the worst case of Mental Retardation they have ever seen.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 07:01 AM
They kicked him out, they said he was by far the worst case of Mental Retardation they have ever seen.

More like Bush Derangement Syndrome

It is very common among libs these days

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 07:02 AM
More like Bush Derangement Syndrome

It is very common among libs these days

They're blaming the kidnapping of that British girl on him now too.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 07:04 AM
They're blaming the kidnapping of that British girl on him now too.

This is a classic form the Blame Bush files

George Bush Broke the Fan Belt on My Mother's '95 Jeep Cherokee
At 10 o'clock this morning, received a desperate call from my dear mother.

"Damn that Bush!" she cried. "Damn him to HELL!"

"Take it easy, Ma. What's the problem?"

"My car broke down!" she told me. "I have an appointment at the unemployment office to extend my benefits another two years, and I have no way to get there! DAMN THAT BUSH! He sent my job overseas, and now he's trying to take my unemployment insurance away! What am I going to do?"

Ma has been out of work since Boeing laid her off in 2002, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich. The union hasn't called her back, and no one is hiring 65 year old Airplane Restroom Toilet Paper Dispenser Installers anymore. So she's had to subsist on her pension, social security, her 401k, alimony checks, welfare, and unemployment insurance benefits for the past two years.

"Don't worry, Ma. Tell me where you are and I'll come help."

"At the White Horse Tavern in Marysville. That's as far as I made it before the damn thing quit!"

"Mom, that's totally the opposite direction of the unemployment office."

"Oh that Bush has got me so riled up, I've lost all sense of direction!" Ma cried.

"No biggie, Ma, I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you, dear. I'll go inside and have a beer while I wait."

I arrived at the White Horse a couple hours later. Sure enough, Ma was inside nursing a pounder at the bar when I walked in.

"Oh Larry, thank God you're here!" she greeted me. "I don't know what I'm going to do...I'm out of work, my unemployment benefits have expired, and now my car won't run! I'm going to wind up eating dog food right out of the can, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich!"

"Would you like some more pull tabs, Mrs. Chomstein?" the bartended interrupted.

"Yeah, gimme fifty bucks on number 10," my Mom told him. "Lotta good it'll do me...I haven't won shit since Bush put on a flight suit and announced 'mission accomplished' from the deck of that aircraft carrier."

"Well, Ma, I'll go out and have a look at the car. Maybe I can fix it."

"Bless your heart, dear," she said, handing me her keys. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

When I popped the hood open on the Jeep, I could immediately tell what the problem was - the fan belt was broken. But upon closer inspection, it became obviuous that it had been cleanly and intentionally cut. I took the broken belt back inside the tavern and showed it to Ma.

"Damn that Bush!" she screeched with anger, her face turning a deep red. "That BASTARD cut my fan belt! Oooh he really knows how to PISS ME OFF! I haven't been this mad since Nixon stole my panties at Woodstock! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM!"

"Calm down, Ma!" I told her. She was lapsing into one of her Sam Kinison screaming fits, and was already drawing a small crowd of slack-jawed gawkers. "Just relax, it's an easy fix. I'll just drive up to the auto parts store and get a new fan belt."

"Oh thank you so much, sweetheart," Ma replied, relaxing a little. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

An hour later, I had the new belt installed and the Jeep was ready to go - just as Ma came stumbling out of the bar, blood gushing from her mouth.

"Holy crap, what happened to you?"

"Oh I fell down in the baffroom and broke my toof on the edge of the terlet," Ma explained.

"DAMN THAT BUSH!" we both shouted in unison.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2004/02/at_10_oclock_th.html

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 07:16 AM
This is a classic form the Blame Bush files

George Bush Broke the Fan Belt on My Mother's '95 Jeep Cherokee
At 10 o'clock this morning, received a desperate call from my dear mother.

"Damn that Bush!" she cried. "Damn him to HELL!"

"Take it easy, Ma. What's the problem?"

"My car broke down!" she told me. "I have an appointment at the unemployment office to extend my benefits another two years, and I have no way to get there! DAMN THAT BUSH! He sent my job overseas, and now he's trying to take my unemployment insurance away! What am I going to do?"

Ma has been out of work since Boeing laid her off in 2002, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich. The union hasn't called her back, and no one is hiring 65 year old Airplane Restroom Toilet Paper Dispenser Installers anymore. So she's had to subsist on her pension, social security, her 401k, alimony checks, welfare, and unemployment insurance benefits for the past two years.

"Don't worry, Ma. Tell me where you are and I'll come help."

"At the White Horse Tavern in Marysville. That's as far as I made it before the damn thing quit!"

"Mom, that's totally the opposite direction of the unemployment office."

"Oh that Bush has got me so riled up, I've lost all sense of direction!" Ma cried.

"No biggie, Ma, I'll be there as soon as I can."

"Thank you, dear. I'll go inside and have a beer while I wait."

I arrived at the White Horse a couple hours later. Sure enough, Ma was inside nursing a pounder at the bar when I walked in.

"Oh Larry, thank God you're here!" she greeted me. "I don't know what I'm going to do...I'm out of work, my unemployment benefits have expired, and now my car won't run! I'm going to wind up eating dog food right out of the can, thanks to Bush and his tax cuts for the rich!"

"Would you like some more pull tabs, Mrs. Chomstein?" the bartended interrupted.

"Yeah, gimme fifty bucks on number 10," my Mom told him. "Lotta good it'll do me...I haven't won shit since Bush put on a flight suit and announced 'mission accomplished' from the deck of that aircraft carrier."

"Well, Ma, I'll go out and have a look at the car. Maybe I can fix it."

"Bless your heart, dear," she said, handing me her keys. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

When I popped the hood open on the Jeep, I could immediately tell what the problem was - the fan belt was broken. But upon closer inspection, it became obviuous that it had been cleanly and intentionally cut. I took the broken belt back inside the tavern and showed it to Ma.

"Damn that Bush!" she screeched with anger, her face turning a deep red. "That BASTARD cut my fan belt! Oooh he really knows how to PISS ME OFF! I haven't been this mad since Nixon stole my panties at Woodstock! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM! DAMN HIM!"

"Calm down, Ma!" I told her. She was lapsing into one of her Sam Kinison screaming fits, and was already drawing a small crowd of slack-jawed gawkers. "Just relax, it's an easy fix. I'll just drive up to the auto parts store and get a new fan belt."

"Oh thank you so much, sweetheart," Ma replied, relaxing a little. "I'll have another beer while I wait."

An hour later, I had the new belt installed and the Jeep was ready to go - just as Ma came stumbling out of the bar, blood gushing from her mouth.

"Holy crap, what happened to you?"

"Oh I fell down in the baffroom and broke my toof on the edge of the terlet," Ma explained.

"DAMN THAT BUSH!" we both shouted in unison.

http://blamebush.typepad.com/blamebush/2004/02/at_10_oclock_th.html

I bet if he met Edward on USMB that they would instantly fall inlove.:laugh2:

red states rule
08-12-2007, 07:17 AM
I bet if he met Edward on USMB that they would instantly fall inlove.:laugh2:

and blame Bush for it

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 07:18 AM
and blame Bush for it

They would just be upset that their idol President Bush would refuse to marry them. :laugh2:

red states rule
08-12-2007, 07:22 AM
They would just be upset that their idol President Bush would refuse to marry them. :laugh2:

They would then go to Sna Fran Nan's Sf and get married their

Hillary would be the best man

nevadamedic
08-12-2007, 07:26 AM
They would then go to Sna Fran Nan's Sf and get married their

Hillary would be the best man

She's got a bigger ding a ling then both of them combined, and no im not tlaking about her package, im talking about Slick Willy.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 07:27 AM
She's got a bigger ding a ling then both of them combined, and no im not tlaking about her package, im talking about Slick Willy.

With Hillary and Bill - we have three boobs running for President

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:02 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:04 AM
The last Republican congress put never reupped the legislation which was designed to repair these problem and in its place voted in a bill they filled with 6000 earmarks forcing the money to be spent on pet projects in their states such as the famous Bridge to now where and left us with a bridge to death.

This is what republcan leadership gets you .

They always say Government cant do anything right then they get elected and PROVE IT!

Elect people who believe government can work and watch it work.

Why would you hire the machanic who says your car will never run again?

The CURRENT Dem Congres had over 30,000 earmarks. After 8 mionths what have the Dems done to take care of this "crisis"?

All it is, is rabid libs showing their insane hate for Pre Bush by blaming him for this

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:05 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:10 AM
Link us up to your proof?

lets see those earmarks?

I thought Dems were going to cut spending and pork

That's the number of "funding requests" -- i.e., earmarks -- from House lawmakers this year.

BEFORE LAST week's recess, Republicans and Democrats went at each other over earmarks. The flash point was a plan by House Appropriations Committee Chairman David R. Obey (D-Wis.) not to put earmarks in individual spending bills this year when they were considered on the House floor. Under the Obey plan, now abandoned, the earmarks would have been added only after the measure was in conference. This was a problem, as Republicans legitimately pointed out, because conference reports aren't subject to amendment, just an up-or-down vote. Republicans accused Democrats of backtracking on their promise to usher in a new era of transparency and accountability. The outrage was a bit hard to take from a crowd that presided over an explosion of earmarks and excelled in last-minute provisions airdropped into conference reports. But the Democrats were right to back down: Two spending bills passed without earmarks, but the remaining ones will have the specific projects included.

This is a better result, but the most shocking aspect of the brouhaha was not Mr. Obey's plan. Rather, it was the number of funding requests deluging the committee: 32,684, or an average of 75 requests per member. Some of these center on broader concerns -- funding for global AIDS programs, say -- but most involve matters less lofty. Some spending bills, such as military construction, or energy and water, lend themselves to earmarking because they involve individual projects. Why should only the executive branch get to determine which should be pursued? But in recent years the practice has mushroomed. This year, members have tried to place earmarks where none had occurred -- for example, at the National Institutes of Health. Something needs to be done to get this under control. As Mr. Obey put it, "Members should be more than ATM machines for their district. They should be policy setters for the country."

for the complete article
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/07/AR2007070700982.html

Gunny
08-12-2007, 09:12 AM

We should, shouldn't we? Like instead of rewarding those who excel for their efforts, liberal policies take from them to prop out the useless who do nothing.

There's your fucking crumbling "infrastructure" in a nutshell.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:14 AM
We should, shouldn't we? Like instead of rewarding those who excel for their efforts, liberal policies take from them to prop out the useless who do nothing.

Where is all the gas tax money going? Oil companies make a dime profit of a gallon of gas - while the Feda makes nearly 19 cents per gallon

We all know how much the oil companies are making and the Feds are making more then that

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:15 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:17 AM
http://tinyurl.com/yugrhb

this ONE bill had 6000 earmarks which ate up the vast majority of the funds in the bill which were supposed to be replacing a bill which gave funds for repairs.

and which party is running Congress? Yet it is all the Republicans fault accoridng to the kook left

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:19 AM

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:20 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
That bill was passed in 2005 by the 109th congress which was all R run.

They would shut the Dems out of everything

and the 30,000 plus that passed THIS YEAR??????????????

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:24 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:26 AM
Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The Safe, Accountable, Flexible, Efficient Transportation Equity Act: A Legacy for Users (SAFETEA-LU), which governs United States federal surface transportation spending through 2010, was signed into law by President George W. Bush in Montgomery, Illinois, on August 10, 2005.

The $286.4 billion measure contains a host of provisions designed to improve and maintain the transportation infrastructure in the United States, especially the highway and interstate road system. It also contained funding for over six thousand earmarks for home-district projects:

$1.7 million for improvements to Guy Lombardo Avenue in Freeport New York.
$3.5 million for horse trails in Virginia.
$231 million for a bridge near Anchorage, Alaska, to be named Don Young's Way after the local congressman. The project would connect the city to undeveloped area nearby.
The law garnered a large amount of bipartisan support, though support was not unanimous. President Bush had promised to veto any highway bill costing more than $256 billion, and this bill totaled $284 billion. Last-minute negotiations ensured the president did not use his veto pen for the first time.

Critics charged that the law became heavily laden with pork spending as it made its way through the House of Representatives and Senate, such as a $223 million apportionment for the construction of a so-called "bridge to nowhere" that would cross to a small island in Alaska, spending that critics saw as targeted less at the improvement of the national transportation system than at garnering votes for congressmen in their home districts.

An amendment to divert some of this discretionary spending to relief from Hurricane Katrina (the Coburn Amendment) failed.

Note Bush almost vetoed it because it spent to much money.

You see Bush didnt care about the earmarks which diverted the money to non repair he just didnt want it to spend too much, they didnt give a rats ass about the maintainence needed.

Being a loyal lib means you ignore what the Dems are doing today - and go back in time to attack Republicans

Still no comment on the 32,684 earmarks that Dems passed THIS YEAR?

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:31 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:33 AM
This is a better result, but the most shocking aspect of the brouhaha was not Mr. Obey's plan. Rather, it was the number of funding requests deluging the committee: 32,684, or an average of 75 requests per member.

Requests NOT passed you fool!

how many of those requests were by Rs in the body?

IN ONE BILL passed by the 109th congress which was all your team there were 6000.

BTW the 109th left their job undone and this congress had to finish their business before they could even start anything themselves.

109th is in top competition for the donothing award in history.

Translation - stop pushing facts into the discussion

You asked for the link - I gave it to you - and you are stuck on an article 2 years old

That tells me the lib is losing this debate and is in spin mode

Ruby
08-12-2007, 09:34 AM

Thats a complete myth. The hardest working people in the world make the least amount of money. You have plenty working poor who work 80 hours a week to try and make it. Much of the wealth people amass is actually a situation they are born into, poverty is as well.

There are people in this world who work every single day 12 hours per day in some of the harshest conditions and they are quite poor.

Thats a problem, we look at poverty as if its a character flaw and the people who are poor must then deserve it.

We dont like to look at the relationship between rich and poor and realize they both contribute to each others situation. Much of that wealth is amassed by working the poor very hard and paying them very little. Much of that wealth is amassed because those who were born into money have already made sure that the system is set up to favor themselves. Money does equal power so it is inevitable that the ones born into poorer circumstances are going to have a very hard uphill battle to fight.

A good example of this would be what Coca-cola company has done in India (and other places).

http://www.indiaresource.org/campaigns/coke/index.html

Communities across India living around Coca-Cola's bottling plants are experiencing severe water shortages, directly as a result of Coca-Cola's massive extraction of water from the common groundwater resource. The wells have run dry and the hand water pumps do not work any more. Studies, including one by the Central Ground Water Board in India, have confirmed the significant depletion of the water table.
When the water is extracted from the common groundwater resource by digging deeper, the water smells and tastes strange. Coca-Cola has been indiscriminately discharging its waste water into the fields around its plant and sometimes into rivers, including the Ganges, in the area. The result has been that the groundwater has been polluted as well as the soil. Public health authorities have posted signs around wells and hand pumps advising the community that the water is unfit for human consumption.

Those water shortages devastate the agriculture and the farmers. Coca cola profits while others are sent into poverty. Coca cola didnt do somthing good and moral here, and the people who suffered arent "bad" and unwilling to work either.

We like to portray those with less as leeches but dont want to look at the predatory behavior that come from larger business interests. The predators dominate so much media its not surprising that this is how it goes, its just sad we dont have more citizens who are able to see if for what it is.

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:36 AM
Thats a complete myth. The hardest working people in the world make the least amount of money. You have plenty working poor who work 80 hours a week to try and make it. Much of the wealth people amass is actually a situation they are born into, poverty is as well.

There are people in this world who work every single day 12 hours per day in some of the harshest conditions and they are quite poor.

Thats a problem, we look at poverty as if its a character flaw and the people who are poor must then deserve it.

We dont like to look at the relationship between rich and poor and realize they both contribute to each others situation. Much of that wealth is amassed by working the poor very hard and paying them very little. Much of that wealth is amassed because those who were born into money have already made sure that the system is set up to favor themselves. Money does equal power so it is inevitable that the ones born into poorer circumstances are going to have a very hard uphill battle to fight.

A good example of this would be what Coca-cola company has done in India (and other places).

Those water shortages devastate the agriculture and the farmers. Coca cola profits while others are sent into poverty. Coca cola didnt do somthing good and moral here, and the people who suffered arent "bad" and unwilling to work either.

We like to portray those with less as leeches but dont want to look at the predatory behavior that come from larger business interests. The predators dominate so much media its not surprising that this is how it goes, its just sad we dont have more citizens who are able to see if for what it is.

:lame2: :bsflag:

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:49 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Your Proof turned out to be lies.

they did not pass 30,000 earmarks ,they were the amount requested and a % were requested by Rs you numbskull.

You again were twisting the truth or were just to lame to fiqure it out.

the Rs in the 109th congress passed ONE BILL with 6000 in it ...again that is ONE BILL and PASSED!

now I know the truth doesnt matter to you but to most people it does matter.

Dems have increased taxes, spending ,and pork - and you are in full spin mode

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 09:57 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 09:59 AM
When they insult the working poor they insult the people who built this country.

The famers who worked their asses off on their farms and never got much more than getting by.

The railroad workersw who worked their asses off and BGUILT sonething lasting in this country which has given them they lifes they have now.

This New Republican party Hates people who work, they insult them all the time.

People who work their asses off trying to keep up with house prices , insurance prices, milk prices, gas prices to feed their families and keep them safe.

They dont care that our health is now like 40th in the world, they dont care that our health care is the MOST expensive in the world.

They dont care our kids schools are not working and the jobs this country used to provide are being globalised.

They dont that without dangerous loans people cannot afford to buy even a modest house.

They just dont care about that part of America.

It leaves you wondering just what part of America do they care about?

You are so full of shit - neither of Pretty Boy's Two America's are listeneing to your rants

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 10:03 AM

red states rule
08-12-2007, 10:05 AM
:lol:

You have nothing to say do you?

Your Hero has increased vastly the debt in this country
Destroyed our reputation worldwide
Lamed our military
ignored our infrastructure
hobbled our education system
Ignored natural disastors
and given tax cuts to our corporation to take needed jobs out of this country

and you think its great, how did you get so stupid?

The US economy is booming, interest rates, unemployment are down. The Dow is still up for the year, productivity is increasing, record home ownership,
and libs are sulking

5stringJeff
08-12-2007, 12:05 PM
Let the blame be placed where it belongs.

OK. Let's blame the union workers who built the bridge in the first place, and the union workers who were doing the repairs to the bridge when it collapsed.

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 12:25 PM

Gunny
08-12-2007, 03:24 PM
why dont we blame the people responsible for NOT maintaining the bridge...You know the ones who are really responsible ?

Or maybe you would like to blame the victims like the Rs did in Katrina?

GMAFB. The people were not blame for a hurricane. They are however to blame for being too stupid to get out from in front of a Cat 5 hurricane. That IS their fault.

Wonder who the local government employees are that missspent money given them to update the bridge?

truthmatters
08-12-2007, 03:40 PM

5stringJeff
08-12-2007, 03:48 PM
why dont we blame the people responsible for NOT maintaining the bridge...You know the ones who are really responsible?

I fail to see how the ones who constructed and/or were maintaining the bridge at the time of the collapse aren't at least somehow responsible, but OK, let's play your game. Which specific government agency is responsible for maintaining the bridge in question?

08-12-2007, 04:22 PM
This is your government.

Any questions?

so what your saying is Republicans turned the Capitol Building into a collapsed bridge... how the heck did they manage that? Especially when the liberals are controling the building.

08-12-2007, 04:27 PM
why dont we blame the people responsible for NOT maintaining the bridge...You know the ones who are really responsible ?

Or maybe you would like to blame the victims like the Rs did in Katrina?

you mean the union workers. After all it is their job to fix it.

08-12-2007, 04:28 PM

I would love to meet this supposed poor person who works 80 hours a week. Quite frankly, i dont buy it.

Kathianne
08-12-2007, 04:30 PM
I would love to meet this supposed poor person who works 80 hours a week. Quite frankly, i dont buy it.

As someone who worked 80-90 hours per week to 'make ends meet', I agree. I made more yearly than now. Difference is, my kids are older and working and I have health insurance.

LiberalNation
08-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe not poor, but you could still be lower middle class. 80 hours a week, at 6 an hour, with three kids and no husband. I know a lady who did it.

Kathianne
08-12-2007, 04:38 PM
Maybe not poor, but you could still be lower middle class. 80 hours a week, at 6 an hour, with three kids and no husband. I know a lady who did it.

I worked 30 hours substituting; 35 hours at State Farm on staff; 10 hours at Allstate on staff; and 15-25 hours at Jewel, (a grocery chain). My insurance was through Jewel. My income was over $40k, more than I currently make at teaching full time.

JohnDoe
08-12-2007, 05:12 PM
This is your government.

Any questions?

I don't have a problem with this dipiction....

As long as....

You are not implying that this is our government's fault because they don't have enough tax monies from us!

Because they have the money to fix our problems, they have just chosen to use it elsewhere, and failed to prioritize with their spending....including this wasteful and costly "thing" in Iraq, along with the pet peave projects like the "250 million dollar "Bridge to nowhere" that helped ONLY 16 people on the Island get to the mainland, via a car in Alaska.

Black Lance
08-12-2007, 05:16 PM
so what your saying is Republicans turned the Capitol Building into a collapsed bridge... how the heck did they manage that? Especially when the liberals are controling the building.

Exactly. Last time I checked Congress controlled the purse strings, not the Executive. If the collapse was in fact caused by federal underfunding of roadway maintanence, the blame lies with liberal Democrats in Congress, not conservatives in the White House.

red states rule
08-13-2007, 03:19 AM
Exactly. Last time I checked Congress controlled the purse strings, not the Executive. If the collapse was in fact caused by federal underfunding of roadway maintanence, the blame lies with liberal Democrats in Congress, not conservatives in the White House.

How can it be do to underfunding? Local, state, and Federal budgets for the roads are overflowing with cash

red states rule
08-13-2007, 04:53 AM
Then we take a look at what the Dem Congress is spending money on

House of Corruption?

By Robert D. Novak
Monday, August 13, 2007; Page A11

With the midnight hour approaching on Saturday, Aug. 4, near the end of a marathon session, Democratic and Republican leaders alike wanted to pass the defense appropriations bill quickly and start their summer recess. But Republican Rep. Jeff Flake's stubborn adherence to principle forced an hour-long delay that revealed unpleasant realities about Congress.

Flake insisted on debating the most egregious of the 1,300 earmarks placed in the defense money bill by individual House members that authorize spending in their districts. Defending every such earmark was the chairman of the Appropriations defense subcommittee: Democratic Rep. John Murtha, unsmiling and unresponsive to questions posed on the House floor by Flake. Murtha is called "King Corruption" by Republican reformers, but what happened after midnight on Aug. 5 is not a party matter. Democrats and Republicans, as always, locked arms to support every earmark. It makes no difference that at least seven House members are under investigation by the Justice Department. A bipartisan majority insists on sending taxpayers' money to companies in their districts without competitive bidding or public review.

Claims of newly established transparency were undermined by the late-night follies. Flake, who ran a Phoenix think tank, the Goldwater Institute, before coming to Congress in 2001, is immensely unpopular on both sides of the aisle for forcing votes on his colleagues' pork. He burnished that reputation by prolonging the marathon Saturday session and challenging selected earmarks.

What ensued showed the sham of earmark "reform." With debate on each earmark limited to five minutes per pro and con, and roll calls also pressed into five minutes, the House was mainly interested in finishing up and defeating Flake with huge bipartisan majorities. The mood of annoyance with Flake was personified by the 17-term Murtha, who as subcommittee chairman defended and retained every earmark (including notorious infusions of cash to his Johnstown, Pa., district).

Republican Rep. John Campbell, an Orange County, Calif., auto dealer and five-year state legislator who is serving his first full year in Congress, is a rare ally of Flake. Campbell began the debate by challenging a $2 million no-bid award to the Sherwin-Williams paint company for a "paint shield" against "microbial threats." The Pentagon did not want this, but Murtha delivered his usual contemptuous retort on earmarks: "We don't apologize for them because we think the members know as much about what goes on their district . . . as [do] the bureaucrats in the Defense Department."

Flake then forced votes on Murtha pet projects -- starting with "something called the Concurrent Technologies Corp." in Johnstown. In the brief time at his disposal, Flake tried to explain to an inattentive House how the company survives as an "incubator" for earmarks "just by getting more earmarks." He next challenged a $39 million earmark for the National Drug Intelligence Center in Johnstown, which the Pentagon does not need or want. Murtha was coldly dismissive, denying the reality that these no-bid awards do not allow taxpayers to recapture any benefits that the corporations derive from federal expenditures.

Other Democrats were silent during the sham debate. Nearly every one voted with Murtha, Speaker Nancy Pelosi's powerful lieutenant -- fearful of reprisal against their own spending schemes. Rep. Jim Cooper, a moderate from Tennessee, was the only Democrat consistently voting against the earmarks.

Republicans split so that motions by Flake and Campbell lost overwhelmingly. House Minority Leader John Boehner voted against most earmarks but did not make it a party issue as the rest of the GOP leadership backed Murtha. Two former Republican chairmen of the Appropriations Committee -- Jerry Lewis of California and Bill Young of Florida -- eagerly joined the debate on Murtha's side. Lewis, one of the House members under investigation by the Justice Department, defended one of his own earmarks and treated Flake with sneering contempt for wasting the House's time.

Flake lacked the time he needed on the House floor to explain complicated interlocking relationships with contributors who benefit from Murtha's earmarks. Claims of transparency are meaningless when all earmarks survive amid inattention from the media. But a few Republican House members are frustrated by GOP complicity as the House of Representatives fast becomes the House of Corruption. Joined by a few like-minded senators, they contemplate publicly repudiating their party leaders.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/12/AR2007081200813.html

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:35 AM
I don't have a problem with this dipiction....

As long as....

You are not implying that this is our government's fault because they don't have enough tax monies from us!

Because they have the money to fix our problems, they have just chosen to use it elsewhere, and failed to prioritize with their spending....including this wasteful and costly "thing" in Iraq, along with the pet peave projects like the "250 million dollar "Bridge to nowhere" that helped ONLY 16 people on the Island get to the mainland, via a car in Alaska.

I'm saying conservatives have placed their evil ideology above the welfare of the American people. Their bizarre beliefs sanctify killing, make it the ultimate good and the object of all public policy regardless of the public's needs. Now we're seeing the result.

I think we agree, at least about their choices. We don't have enough money, though. Unfortunately, we dumpded too much into the sands of Iraq. We need to raise taxes, especially on the rich, to save America.

red states rule
08-13-2007, 07:37 AM
I saying conservatives have placed their evil ideology above the welfare of the American people. They bizarre beliefs place death above social welfare.

I think we agree, at least about their choices. We don't have enough money, though. Unfortunately, we dumpded too much into the sands of Iraq. We need to raise taxes, especially on the rich, to save America.

the "rich" (the top 1%) already pay 37% of all Federal Income Taxes - how much more do you want them to pay?

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:44 AM
OK. Let's blame the union workers who built the bridge in the first place, and the union workers who were doing the repairs to the bridge when it collapsed.

Why would we blame them? What did they do to cause the collapse?

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:46 AM

It was a metaphor.

Look it up.

red states rule
08-13-2007, 07:47 AM

What did Pres Bush and conservatives do to cause the collapse?

Hint - they are not to blame

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:47 AM
the "rich" (the top 1%) already pay 37% of all Federal Income Taxes - how much more do you want them to pay?

Their fair share.

red states rule
08-13-2007, 07:49 AM
Their fair share.

So 1% of the wage earners are paying 27& of Federal Income Taxes is not enough?

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:49 AM
What did Pres Bush and conservatives do to cause the collapse?

Hint - they are not to blame

They cut taxes and veto bills to fund maintenance so bridges fall down.

Joe Steel
08-13-2007, 07:50 AM
So 1% of the wage earners are paying 27& of Federal Income Taxes is not enough?

No. It's not fair.

red states rule
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
No. It's not fair.

Sorry, it is 37&

red states rule
08-13-2007, 07:52 AM
They cut taxes and veto bills to fund maintenance so bridges fall down.

MN had a $1 billion dollar surplau in their budget - they were not hard up for money

The tax cuts are bring MORE money into DC - not less

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 01:32 PM

Either the bridge wasn't built right (not very likely, as it had been used for many years), or the maintenance being performed at the time of the collapse was being done incorrectly (much more likely).

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 01:33 PM
No. It's not fair.

What would be fair is everyone paying the same percentage of their income in taxes.

JohnDoe
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
What would be fair is everyone paying the same percentage of their income in taxes.so, you are for rearranging taxes so that the poorest and the middle class pay more than they are paying to give the wealthiest 1% a tax break?

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 02:08 PM
so, you are for rearranging taxes so that the poorest and the middle class pay more than they are paying to give the wealthiest 1% a tax break?

I am for rearranging taxes so that all taxpayers, regardless of income level, pay the same percentage.

Gaffer
08-13-2007, 02:35 PM
The bridge collapse was a terrible accident. Pointing the finger and blaming is stupid. Engineers will look at it and eventually determine the cause. Then measures will be taken to insure it never happens again.

The blame game and guilt trip game won't bring anyone back.

JohnDoe
08-13-2007, 03:29 PM
I am for rearranging taxes so that all taxpayers, regardless of income level, pay the same percentage.

And by doing such, YOU will be raising taxes on the poorest and raising taxes on the middle class in order to reduce the taxes on the top earners....

Is this what you really want to do, raise your own taxes and your parent's taxes and the poorest among us's taxes in order to give the wealthiest a tax break?

And if you do believe in this, how do you think the average American will be able to afford this tax hike and what effects of this will there be on our economy?

Gaffer
08-13-2007, 04:01 PM
And by doing such, YOU will be raising taxes on the poorest and raising taxes on the middle class in order to reduce the taxes on the top earners....

Is this what you really want to do, raise your own taxes and your parent's taxes and the poorest among us's taxes in order to give the wealthiest a tax break?

And if you do believe in this, how do you think the average American will be able to afford this tax hike and what effects of this will there be on our economy?

A tax on consumer goods is what is needed. It's fair to everyone. No tax breaks or shelters. Those with more money will buy more and pay more taxes. It's a logical way to collect taxes and will eliminate a lot of big government bureaucracies like the IRS, so it will never be implemented.

JohnDoe
08-13-2007, 04:21 PM
A tax on consumer goods is what is needed. It's fair to everyone. No tax breaks or shelters. Those with more money will buy more and pay more taxes. It's a logical way to collect taxes and will eliminate a lot of big government bureaucracies like the IRS, so it will never be implemented.
would buying in to a Company be goods? would stock purchases be taxed and Lawyer services be taxed, and buying the service of an accountant taxed and buying a personal trainer to excercise with you taxed?

Unless everything is taxed, including services, and stock purchases when they are made, then this kind of tax would also be heavier on the middle and lower classes, who spend most all of their money on goods while the wealthy spend most of their money on investments and on services and not on goods.

Plus the wealthiest have the ability to shop overseas to avoid taxes on goods, this would have to be considered when making the legislation, to prevent this from happening.....or the ability to defer taxes like on stock purchases, where the average joe does not....and pays taxes on whatever they buy immediately....

Though, I do agree with you, that a consumer tax does seem Fairer than a Flat tax, unless there is some sort of exemption like the first 30k or so for a couple....then maybe a flat tax would be okay, but I am still not certain about either, just that I am open to reforms, something has to change when Buffet pays less in percentage of taxes than his secretary.... :(

Gaffer
08-13-2007, 05:17 PM
would buying in to a Company be goods? would stock purchases be taxed and Lawyer services be taxed, and buying the service of an accountant taxed and buying a personal train to excercise with you taxed?

Unless everything is taxed, including services, and stock purchases when they are made, then this kind of tax would also be heavier on the middle and lower classes, who spend most all of their money on goods while the wealthy spend most of their money on investments and on services and not on goods.

Plus the wealthiest have the ability to shop overseas to avoid taxes on goods, this would have to be considered when making the legislation, to prevent this from happening.....or the ability to defer taxes like on stock purchases, where the average joe does not....and pays taxes on whatever they buy immefiately....

Though, I do agree with you, that a consumer tax does seem Fairer than a Flat tax, unless there is some sort of exemption like the first 30k or so for a couple....then maybe a flat tax would be okay, but I am still not certain about either, just that I am open to reforms, something has to change when Buffet pays less in percentage of taxes than his secretary.... :(

Good points. And yes a services tax would probably be necessary as well. It would be hard to exempt people from a consumer tax though. As for buying overseas, that can be remedied by charging a tax on items brought into the country. Buying stock is a consumer item. It's only paid when the stock is bought. Not when its sold and no tax on the dividends. But then I'm not an economist so there's lots here I would have to know more about as far as this side of the tax system goes. I don't like the idea of a flat tax nor do I like the present system.

I believe a consumer tax is the only fair way to tax. But there are a number of snags as you pointed out. I'm sure someone with more knowledge in this area than me could work out the details though.

Gunny
08-13-2007, 07:23 PM
I think it was a catagory 4 and they were not too stupid they were unable.

See what I mean you do blame them.

Wrong. It was a Cat 5 until it hit. It slowed to 4 just prior to hitting the coast. The whole time it was barrelling in through the Gulf it was a Cat 5.

You're only half right as to their capability; which, completely supports my statement. They were completely capable physically of walking out. They were completely incapable of doing so because you left-wingnuts have so taught them to rely on the nanny state to scratch their every itch, they couldn't think for themselves without some Dem around to tell them what was best for them.

That equates to STUPID.

And you're damned right I affix responsibility for one's personal actions to the person that carries them out. Sit in front of a Cat 5 hurricane watching it roll in = stupid.

Missileman
08-13-2007, 08:03 PM

The best way to accomplish that is with the abolition of the IRS and the institution of a national sales tax.

Missileman
08-13-2007, 08:10 PM
What would be fair is everyone paying the same percentage of their income in taxes.

I disagree. Why should I have to pay more to be a citizen than some shlub who can't earn a decent living?

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 08:26 PM

The best way to accomplish that is with the abolition of the IRS and the institution of a national sales tax.

Actually, I agree with you guys, but I had been such an advocate of a flat income tax for so long, I must have had a relapse! :D

actsnoblemartin
08-14-2007, 12:40 AM
such ignorance. I love how, anyone of the liberal mindset, can cleverly forget any democrat culpulbility for anything and everything, and conservatives are responsible for everything.

The truth is, government by its definitions is screwed up, because t has been and will always be runned by people, and if we cant stop defending people long enough, to take responsibility for our parties, both of them. Their mistakes, and our unwilling to give the otherside credit, then we will be reduced to this, my side is perfect your side is satan, childish arguing forever.

here is too pissing on the truth, because you dont like the other side.

:pee:

/
This is your government.

Any questions?

red states rule
08-14-2007, 03:16 AM
so, you are for rearranging taxes so that the poorest and the middle class pay more than they are paying to give the wealthiest 1% a tax break?

The "poor" pay hardly any taxes as it is. The bottom 50% of earners pay only 3% of all Federal Income Taxes

If you pass tax cuts, it is common sense that those who pay the taxes - gets the tax cuts

red states rule
08-14-2007, 03:19 AM

Your Dems voted to repeal ALL the Bush tax cuts - even on the lowest wage earners and retired couples. Under Pres Bush they got a nice cut in their tax rate

When the Dems passed the tax increase on 3/31/07 they did not ask them if they could "afford" the tax increase

Government has tons of money flowing into DC - the Dems are increasing spending and pork. They are going to outdo the Republicans in these areas

08-14-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm saying conservatives have placed their evil ideology above the welfare of the American people. Their bizarre beliefs sanctify killing, make it the ultimate good and the object of all public policy regardless of the public's needs. Now we're seeing the result.

Damn that evil idealogy of freedom! Freedom of speech, free markets, free religion, Freedom to bare arms! Damn that evil conservative idealogy!

I find abortionists complaining about killing people to lack all credibility. Especially when they are complaining about killing done in self defense and to remove oppressive dictators from the earth and not because they couldnt keep their pants on.

And of course your only solution is to raise taxes, destroy the economy, and then raise them some more when we cant afford everything you want to spend it on due to the depression you bring. Brilliant!

08-14-2007, 03:57 AM

Heaven forbid everyone in the nation pair their fair share.

Hint: A fair share means they all pay the same percent.

08-14-2007, 03:58 AM

Why shouldnt the poor and middle classes also pay their fair share? Why is it only the rich who should?

red states rule
08-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Heaven forbid everyone in the nation pair their fair share.

Hint: A fair share means they all pay the same percent.

The "poor" pay very little in taxes right now. I would like for anyone to explain to me, why the left pushed for tax cuts for people who pay little or no taxes - but have a fit over tax cuts for people who pay the majority of taxes

red states rule
08-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Dems never miss a chance to push for higher taxes - even over the dead bodies of those killed in a natural disaster

Reid: Bridge collapse is ‘wake-up call'

By: Martin Kady II
Aug 2, 2007 04:38 PM EST

snip

As Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) opened the Thursday session of the Senate, he warned that the bridge disaster was a “wake-up call” regarding infrastructure investment across the country.

Later, Reid and other Democratic leaders went a step further, bashing Republicans for failing to pass a water resources and development act, known as WRDA on Capitol Hill, for seven years, saying that the bill was essential to investing in American infrastructure.

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), who chairs the appropriations subcommittee that funds transportation programs, slammed President Bush for threatening to veto the transportation bill because it exceeds his initial budget request.

“This is what I worry about every day. The lack of investment in infrastructure is frightening,” Murray said. “This is what [Bush] is threatening to veto -- investment in infrastructure for [roads] we go to work on every day.”

Reid even suggested that Bush has been too distracted by the Iraq war and post-Sept. 11 national security needs to focus on the country’s water, sewer and transportation infrastructure.

“Since 9/11, we have taken our eye off the ball,” Reid said.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0807/5228.html