PDA

View Full Version : Flake Not Seeking Re-election

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 02:10 PM
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/senator-jeff-flake-not-seeking-re-election-in-2018

I'll vote for someone other than Kelli Ward.

jimnyc
10-24-2017, 02:13 PM
http://www.abc15.com/news/region-phoenix-metro/central-phoenix/senator-jeff-flake-not-seeking-re-election-in-2018

I'll vote for someone other than Kelli Ward.

Your area now, so you sure as hell know more than I do, and likely all of us do!! :)

How bad is Ward? Anything juicy you hear locally that isn't really plastered on any national news? I know she was against McCain at one time, which was a good thing. :) But sarcasm aside, I really don't know squat about her.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 02:16 PM
More from state newspaper: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/2017/10/24/republican-senator-jeff-flake-announces-not-running-senate-reelection-gop-primary-ward-trump/793952001/

Condemning the nastiness of Republican politics in the era of President Donald Trump, Sen. Jeff Flake on Tuesday announced he will serve out the remainder of his term but will not seek re-election in 2018.

The bombshell, which Flake, R-Ariz., intended to detail Tuesday afternoon on the Senate floor, will further roil Republican hopes of keeping the party's 52-seat Senate majority in the midterm elections of Trump's first term, when the president's party historically loses seats in Congress.

It also likely will upend the race for Flake's seat.

Flake, one of the Senate's more prominent critics of President Donald Trump, has been struggling in the polls.

He told The Arizona Republic ahead of his announcement that he has become convinced "there may not be a place for a Republican like me in the current Republican climate or the current Republican Party."

'Here's the bottom line ...'

Flake said he has not "soured on the Senate" and loves the institution, but that as a traditional, libertarian-leaning conservative Republican he is out of step with today's Trump-dominated GOP.

"This spell will pass, but not by next year," Flake said.

Among Republican primary voters, there's overwhelming support for Trump's positions and "behavior," Flake said, and one of their top concerns is whether a candidate is with the president or against him. While Flake said he is with Trump on some issues, on other issues he is not. And Trump definitely views him as a foe, having denounced Flake publicly and called him "toxic" on Twitter.

"Here's the bottom line: The path that I would have to travel to get the Republican nomination is a path I'm not willing to take, and that I can't in good conscience take," Flake told The Republic in a telephone interview. "It would require me to believe in positions I don't hold on such issues as trade and immigration and it would require me to condone behavior that I cannot condone."

As of Sept. 30, Flake's campaign had $3.4 million on hand. He has continued to raise money — as recently as Thursday, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice headlined a fundraiser for him in Arizona.

Flake said he has ruled out running as an independent rather than a Republican, saying he didn't think that was a viable strategy. He also said he has "no intention" of making a presidential run.

Senate race opens up

Kelli Ward, the former state senator from Lake Havasu City who lost her primary challenge last year against Sen. John McCain, has emerged this year as the top GOP alternative to Flake, but other names have been mentioned as possibilities: Arizona State Treasurer Jeff DeWit, former Arizona Republican Party Chairman Robert Graham and Arizona Board of Regents member Jay Heiler. Lesser-known Republicans Craig Brittain and Nicholas Tutora also have filed paperwork with the Federal Election Commission and are running.

My guess is that if the GOP doesn't find an alternative to Ward, the seat may well go to the Democrats.

jimnyc
10-24-2017, 04:14 PM
My guess is that if the GOP doesn't find an alternative to Ward, the seat may well go to the Democrats.

What is her negatives? Why would Flake have a better chance than she does? I know head to head, and head to other party are 2 different things, but the last polls I could find show him being creamed in Arizona, not very well liked. I honestly don't know her history. I went to her website and just went over all of her stances, and I like all of them! But what someone writes what their stances are, and their actions over the years, I suppose can be 2 different things.

the 2nd article shows all the questions from the polling.

--

Poll: Jeff Flake Trails in Arizona Senate Race

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., is facing an uphill battle in his reelection bid, according to a new survey.

The results of the JMC Analytics poll:

Former Arizona state senator Kelli Ward has 47 percent support.
Flake has 21 percent support.
Pharmacist Nicholas Tutora has 3 percent support.
67 percent hold an unfavorable view of Flake, compared to 22 percent who have a favorable view of him.
66 percent said they would recommend someone else other than Flake to be the Republican nominee in the 2018 Senate race.

https://www.newsmax.com/Politics/jeff-flake-trails-kelli-ward-arizona/2017/08/28/id/810311/

Jeff Flake Underwater: Poll Shows Kelli Ward Opening Up More-Than-25-Point-Lead In Senate Race With Year to Go

Incumbent Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is underwater badly in his home state, with just 21 percent of Arizona Republicans supporting him for reelection against challenger Dr. Kelli Ward—who gets 47 percent support—per a new poll from JMC Analytics.

The poll, provided to Breitbart News ahead of its public release by JMC Analytics’ John Couvillon, shows Flake in almost irreparable shape ahead of his reelection bid in 2018. That an incumbent U.S. Senator like Flake could be polling as low as 21 percent in his own primary, while a challenger like Ward has pulled 26 points ahead of him at 47 percent, is almost unthinkable with nearly a full year to go until the August 2018 primary. Three percent of the electorate said they would vote for Nicholas Tutora, another candidate, and 29 percent are undecided, when asked which candidate they would vote for between Ward, Flake, and Tutora.

When asked if Flake should be renominated in 2018, an astounding 66 percent said that someone else should represent the Republican Party on the Senate ticket next year while just 22 percent said Flake should be renominated and 13 percent are undecided.

Fifty-six percent said they would be more likely to vote for a candidate if President Donald Trump endorsed someone in the primary, while 19 percent said they would be less likely, and 25 percent said a Trump endorsement would make no difference.

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/28/exclusive-jeff-flake-underwater-poll-shows-kelli-ward-opening-up-more-than-25-point-lead-in-senate-race-with-year-to-go/

Gunny
10-24-2017, 04:54 PM
What is her negatives? Why would Flake have a better chance than she does? I know head to head, and head to other party are 2 different things, but the last polls I could find show him being creamed in Arizona, not very well liked. I honestly don't know her history. I went to her website and just went over all of her stances, and I like all of them! But what someone writes what their stances are, and their actions over the years, I suppose can be 2 different things.

the 2nd article shows all the questions from the polling.

--

Poll: Jeff Flake Trails in Arizona Senate Race

Sen. Jeff Flake, R-Ariz., is facing an uphill battle in his reelection bid, according to a new survey.

The results of the JMC Analytics poll:

Former Arizona state senator Kelli Ward has 47 percent support.
Flake has 21 percent support.
Pharmacist Nicholas Tutora has 3 percent support.
67 percent hold an unfavorable view of Flake, compared to 22 percent who have a favorable view of him.
66 percent said they would recommend someone else other than Flake to be the Republican nominee in the 2018 Senate race.

https://www.newsmax.com/Politics/jeff-flake-trails-kelli-ward-arizona/2017/08/28/id/810311/

Jeff Flake Underwater: Poll Shows Kelli Ward Opening Up More-Than-25-Point-Lead In Senate Race With Year to Go

Incumbent Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is underwater badly in his home state, with just 21 percent of Arizona Republicans supporting him for reelection against challenger Dr. Kelli Ward—who gets 47 percent support—per a new poll from JMC Analytics.

The poll, provided to Breitbart News ahead of its public release by JMC Analytics’ John Couvillon, shows Flake in almost irreparable shape ahead of his reelection bid in 2018. That an incumbent U.S. Senator like Flake could be polling as low as 21 percent in his own primary, while a challenger like Ward has pulled 26 points ahead of him at 47 percent, is almost unthinkable with nearly a full year to go until the August 2018 primary. Three percent of the electorate said they would vote for Nicholas Tutora, another candidate, and 29 percent are undecided, when asked which candidate they would vote for between Ward, Flake, and Tutora.

When asked if Flake should be renominated in 2018, an astounding 66 percent said that someone else should represent the Republican Party on the Senate ticket next year while just 22 percent said Flake should be renominated and 13 percent are undecided.

Fifty-six percent said they would be more likely to vote for a candidate if President Donald Trump endorsed someone in the primary, while 19 percent said they would be less likely, and 25 percent said a Trump endorsement would make no difference.

Rest - http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/08/28/exclusive-jeff-flake-underwater-poll-shows-kelli-ward-opening-up-more-than-25-point-lead-in-senate-race-with-year-to-go/Pretty simple. Looks to me like he's being driven out by Trumpies and won't compromise his beliefs which he believes is what it takes to win reelection.

People are going to bail on Trump. You might as well face that fact. If someone runs against Trump in the primaries, odds are good I will support that person, Trump's good for a laugh with me, but he's done nothing to change anything I've ever said about him. He was last choice last primary, and will be again.

If he gets past that, I'll vote for him in the general election because barring a miracle, there isn't much choice.

Black Diamond
10-24-2017, 05:00 PM
A lot can happen in a year.

Gunny
10-24-2017, 05:08 PM
A lot can happen in a year.Sure. I always hope for the best and expect the worst. Been watching politics too long. I think it would be rather refreshing if these morons would learn a new trick and surprise me. But the just do the same old shit.

So do the people. One side gets tired of listening to the other and the other party wins. Never mind the Dems this time, too many conservatives want some Republicans out. Cruz won't get my vote minus a lobotomy. And Lindsay's on the bubble with me.

pete311
10-24-2017, 05:09 PM
I'd like to offer my prediction.... jk :D

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 05:11 PM
Gunny put his finger on AZ, imo. Trump/Bannon folks will follow their suggestion, those conservative not supportive and all those democrats will vote for alternative. Unless the Democrat was along the lines of Hillary and I don't know one that is, my guess they'll win the general against Ward. If not, so be it.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-24-2017, 05:25 PM
People are going to bail on Trump.
Who's "people?"

See, what establishment RINO's and hacks like Flake don't understand is, THEY are why Trump is president. Them lying through their teeth to get elected and then once they hit Washington just forgetting their promises is WHY Trump is president. People are sick to tears of the Jeff Flakes and the John McCains and Mitch McConnells. They want the SWAMP DRAINED, so Flake is what draining the swamp looks like, and none of Trumps supporters are going to bail because of any self aggrandizing parting shot Flake takes at president Trump on his way out the door... fuck him.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 05:30 PM
Who's "people?"

See, what establishment RINO's and hacks like Flake don't understand is, THEY are why Trump is president. Them lying through their teeth to get elected and then once they hit Washington just forgetting their promises is WHY Trump is president. People are sick to tears of the Jeff Flakes and the John McCains and Mitch McConnells. They want the SWAMP DRAINED, so Flake is what draining the swamp looks like, and none of Trumps supporters are going to bail because of any self aggrandizing parting shot Flake takes at president Trump on his way out the door.

Sure, his 91% agreement with Trump, his lifelong voting conservative of 95% is definitely who needs to go in Congress.

jimnyc
10-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Pretty simple. Looks to me like he's being driven out by Trumpies and won't compromise his beliefs which he believes is what it takes to win reelection.

People are going to bail on Trump. You might as well face that fact. If someone runs against Trump in the primaries, odds are good I will support that person, Trump's good for a laugh with me, but he's done nothing to change anything I've ever said about him. He was last choice last primary, and will be again.

If he gets past that, I'll vote for him in the general election because barring a miracle, there isn't much choice.

"you may as well face that fact". Ummmm, ok. And Trumpies? LOL I didn't even bring up Trump other than maybe he gets a mention in one of the articles.

I was merely trying to find out what were the actual negatives of Ward. She has a healthy lead in the polls over Flake. Not being from the area, I'm unsure as to what the negatives are and why she's to be avoided at the polls.

But it appears it'll quickly devolve into a Trump shitfest blamefest of sorts. I was trying to avoid that for a change and hopefully discuss actual politics outside of the Trump drama.

Gunny
10-24-2017, 05:44 PM
Who's "people?"To start with, he's already had incumbents state they would not seek reelection and in so many words, because of Trump. The people that follow them rather than Trump.

Then, he's got to deal with the people he's disappointed. First one that comes to mind are all the white supremists who started crying "We put you in office" after Virginia. While certainly not true, it IS a bloc of voters he can lose if they feel betrayed. Skinny Ann is all pissed and ranting incessantly because a wall didn't appear the day after Trump was elected.

He doesn't have much wiggle room. He didn't win the popular vote and there's no guarantee the Electoral College will swing his way next time.

I'm sure the people that think he's the best thing since sliced cheese will support him.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 05:48 PM
Every state is different. Trump won AZ by 4 pts in 2016. 4 counties heavily went for Clinton. Many did not care for Trump, just felt he was better than Hillary. Kelli Ward is just nuts, unless there's a Hillary in the running, Ward will lose the general.

Black Diamond
10-24-2017, 05:49 PM
"you may as well face that fact". Ummmm, ok. And Trumpies? LOL I didn't even bring up Trump other than maybe he gets a mention in one of the articles.

I was merely trying to find out what were the actual negatives of Ward. She has a healthy lead in the polls over Flake. Not being from the area, I'm unsure as to what the negatives are and why she's to be avoided at the polls.

But it appears it'll quickly devolve into a Trump shitfest blamefest of sorts. I was trying to avoid that for a change and hopefully discuss actual politics outside of the Trump drama.
Can't be done.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 06:04 PM
Schumer is thrilled with the Flake announcement. Just saw him smiling on FOX.

Gunny
10-24-2017, 06:04 PM

But it appears it'll quickly devolve into a Trump shitfest blamefest of sorts. I was trying to avoid that for a change and hopefully discuss actual politics outside of the Trump drama.Not sure what you're getting worked up about. I've called die-hard Trump fans "trumpies" since day one.

You DID ask about who was running and the why's and why not's. I gave you an explanation. If you tune in to Flake, he said the same thing. He's bailing because of Trump. So HE, not I, interjected Trump. It's hard to say "because of Trump" without the "Trump" part.

I'll go out on a limb and say the negative about Ward here is that she supports Trump. You can't avoid the elephant in the room. Everybody understands you and some others support Trump. Calling him what he is NOT a personal attack against you.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 06:12 PM
I'm guessing most know Ward by saying McCain should retire with his cancer and she should be appointed.

Not all that's weird and rude about her.

Chemtrails-look it up.

During Senate Contest against McCain, went on Alex Jones and expressed fear that McCain would put a hit out on her.

Has repeatedly warned against 'UN Black Helicopters' operating in the US, while in AZ Senate

A bit of a local wrap up:

http://politicsarizona.com/2015/10/06/kelli-ward-fringe-conspiracy-theorist-is-she-pro-choice/

Gunny
10-24-2017, 06:41 PM
I'm guessing most know Ward by saying McCain should retire with his cancer and she should be appointed.

Not all that's weird and rude about her.

Chemtrails-look it up.

During Senate Contest against McCain, went on Alex Jones and expressed fear that McCain would put a hit out on her.

Has repeatedly warned against 'UN Black Helicopters' operating in the US, while in AZ Senate

A bit of a local wrap up:

http://politicsarizona.com/2015/10/06/kelli-ward-fringe-conspiracy-theorist-is-she-pro-choice/Well, you DO live in "black helicopter" country :laugh:

If she's appointed in McCain's place, doesn't still leave Flake's open?

Black Diamond
10-24-2017, 06:44 PM
Well, you DO live in "black helicopter" country :laugh:

It would.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 06:48 PM
Well, you DO live in "black helicopter" country :laugh:

For some reason, after losing to McCain in a Senate race, he chose not to take her advice and retire and I guess help her get appointed. LOL! Now it's Flake's seat. Leads one to think perhaps she just wants in the Senate, so doesn't care whose place she takes.

As I said, 'she is nutters.' I just don't think the nutter stands a chance, barring her opposition being as bad a candidate as Hillery.

Gunny
10-24-2017, 06:57 PM
For some reason, after losing to McCain in a Senate race, he chose not to take her advice and retire and I guess help her get appointed. LOL! Now it's Flake's seat. Leads one to think perhaps she just wants in the Senate, so doesn't care whose place she takes.

As I said, 'she is nutters.' I just don't think the nutter stands a chance, barring her opposition being as bad a candidate as Hillery.In all fairness, given some of the Democrats like Pelosi, Eaters, Wilson -- black helicopters seems pretty tame :laugh:

Are both seats Republican now? Sounds like they might lose one.

Kathianne
10-24-2017, 06:59 PM
In all fairness, given some of the Democrats like Pelosi, Eaters, Wilson -- black helicopters seems pretty tame :laugh:

Are both seats Republican now? Sounds like they might lose one.

They are. McCain won his last election, I doubt he'll make it through the term, but I hope so. Now Flake is removing himself from the cauldron, we'll see if AZ continues to move to purple.

pete311
10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
This opens the door for Bannon's guys. Let's see if he delivers.

NightTrain
10-24-2017, 08:11 PM
This opens the door for Bannon's guys. Let's see if he delivers.

Bannon already backs her. That's why she's so far ahead in the polls.

Black Diamond
10-24-2017, 08:27 PM
Be hilarious when she wins

Black Diamond
10-24-2017, 11:32 PM
He does have a year to kick the tar out of the dem

jimnyc
10-25-2017, 01:33 PM
I cut the bios down a lot on each candidate, visit site for rest! Looks to be some good candidates.

Many said Trump couldn't win. Then when he was getting large gains against the other 16, it was changed to "well, he can beat them, but can't beat Hillary". We all saw how that went. I honestly have no stake in this one, other than the total in congress of course. Hopefully by next year there will be a better feel for which of all the above has the best chance to win, and hopefully folks will go for that person, and not watch congress hand over the keys to Pelosi again.

---

5 Potential Conservative Replacements for Sen. Jeff Flake

On Tuesday, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) announced he would not run for re-election in 2018. The Senate Leadership Fund super PAC announced it would not support the current frontrunner, state Sen. Kelli Ward.

"The one political upshot of Sen. Flake's decision today is that Steve Bannon's hand-picked candidate, conspiracy-theorist Kelli Ward, will not be the Republican nominee for this Senate seat in 2018," Steven Law, president and CEO of the super PAC, declared in a statement Tuesday.

As of Wednesday morning, there are only three declared candidates in the race: Ward, pharmacist Nicholas Tutora, and Craig Brittain, who founded the controversial revenge porn website IsAnybodyDown and has an alternative to Uber called Dryvyng (seriously). Brittain has also allegedly referred to himself as "a f**king genius and a legend," saying that people he has never met "should be honored to even be in my presence."

Ward has a solid lead in the primary, but Flake's dropping out should change the entire dynamic of the race. The Hill has even listed deep-red Arizona as a state in which Democrats might steal the Senate seat from Republicans because Ward has many problems of her own.

Here is a list of five potential conservative candidates to run against Ward and replace Flake.

1. John Shadegg.

Shadegg has longstanding conservative credentials, going all the way back to Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.), the conservative hero who ran for president in 1964. He represented Arizona in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2011.

In the early 2000s, Shadegg served as chairman of the Republican Study Committee (RSC). He joined the race for House majority leader in 2006 as a compromise between Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio). National Review, the Club for Growth, The Arizona Republic, and RedState all supported his bid.

2. Martha McSally.

Rep. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) was the first woman to fly in combat and the first woman to command a U.S. Air Force fighter squadron. She also sued the Department of Defense (DOD), successfully striking down the military policy requiring U.S. and UK servicewomen stationed in Saudi Arabia to wear the body-covering abaya.

McSally won election to Congress in 2014 and re-election in 2016. In her first term, she had seven bills approved by the House, making her third in the number of bills she authored that have made it through the House. She has written many "narrowly drawn proposals to improve homeland security or to help veterans."

3. David Schweikert.

Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) has an impressive pro-life story and a solid background in both Arizona state politics and the U.S. House.

Schweikert was born to an unwed mother who almost had an abortion but chose instead to put him up for adoption, according to the congressman. This has made pro-life activism a very personal issue for him. The National Right to Life has given him a 100 percent rating.

4. Jan Brewer.

Former Governor Jan Brewer would throw a powerful wrench into the race. A vocal supporter of Trump from early on, Brewer is well-known for a strong stance against illegal immigration. Last year, Trump even said he would consider her as his running-mate. While Trump has said favorable things about Ward in the race, Brewer's entrance might push Trump into opposing the candidate of Steve Bannon.

Brewer handled a multibillion-dollar budget shortfall early in her term as governor. She reduced the size and scope of state government and pushed a temporary sales tax increase. When the tax increase expired in 2014, the state had a rainy day fund of $450 million.

5. Trent Franks.

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) publicly withdrew from the 2018 Senate race, but Flake's withdrawal alters the state of the race. Franks is a strong conservative advocate in the U.S. House with experience in Arizona's state government as well.

After a brief stint in the Arizona House, Franks was appointed by Republican Governor Evan Mecham to head the Office for Children. In 1987, he founded the Arizona Family Research Institute, an organization affiliated with James Dobson's Focus on the Family.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/election/5-potential-conservative-replacements-for-sen-jeff-flake-besides-kelli-ward/

jimnyc
10-25-2017, 01:39 PM
Laura Ingraham Has Perfect Assessment of Jeff Flake's Speech

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is being lauded for his speech on Tuesday where he informed his colleagues that he would not seek re-election. He's opting out because he has been tanking in the polls and knows he can't emerge from the primary. Such is the fate of a Republican from Arizona who decides he wants to be pro-DACA. Flake has become a reflexive Trump-basher, so naturally the media loves him. He's been hailed as a principled conservative who is being forced out of politics because Trump's GOP has changed so much.

Garbage.

We're equal opportunity here at PJ Media, so my opinion isn't the only one on the site today.

I found the speech to be tedious, but then I've found everything that Flake has said or done for the last two years to be tedious.

Laura Ingraham, whom I'm not always thrilled with, got to the heart of what was wrong with this much heralded, and mostly overrated speech.

Video at site - https://pjmedia.com/video/laura-ingraham-perfect-assessment-jeff-flakes-speech/

Black Diamond
10-25-2017, 01:40 PM
Laura Ingraham Has Perfect Assessment of Jeff Flake's Speech

Sen. Jeff Flake (R-AZ) is being lauded for his speech on Tuesday where he informed his colleagues that he would not seek re-election. He's opting out because he has been tanking in the polls and knows he can't emerge from the primary. Such is the fate of a Republican from Arizona who decides he wants to be pro-DACA. Flake has become a reflexive Trump-basher, so naturally the media loves him. He's been hailed as a principled conservative who is being forced out of politics because Trump's GOP has changed so much.

Garbage.

We're equal opportunity here at PJ Media, so my opinion isn't the only one on the site today.

I found the speech to be tedious, but then I've found everything that Flake has said or done for the last two years to be tedious.

Laura Ingraham, whom I'm not always thrilled with, got to the heart of what was wrong with this much heralded, and mostly overrated speech.

Video at site - https://pjmedia.com/video/laura-ingraham-perfect-assessment-jeff-flakes-speech/
You should have heard her podcast re dubya speech.

SassyLady
10-25-2017, 08:24 PM
I cut the bios down a lot on each candidate, visit site for rest! Looks to be some good candidates.

Many said Trump couldn't win. Then when he was getting large gains against the other 16, it was changed to "well, he can beat them, but can't beat Hillary". We all saw how that went. I honestly have no stake in this one, other than the total in congress of course. Hopefully by next year there will be a better feel for which of all the above has the best chance to win, and hopefully folks will go for that person, and not watch congress hand over the keys to Pelosi again.

---

5 Potential Conservative Replacements for Sen. Jeff Flake

On Tuesday, Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) announced he would not run for re-election in 2018. The Senate Leadership Fund super PAC announced it would not support the current frontrunner, state Sen. Kelli Ward.

"The one political upshot of Sen. Flake's decision today is that Steve Bannon's hand-picked candidate, conspiracy-theorist Kelli Ward, will not be the Republican nominee for this Senate seat in 2018," Steven Law, president and CEO of the super PAC, declared in a statement Tuesday.

As of Wednesday morning, there are only three declared candidates in the race: Ward, pharmacist Nicholas Tutora, and Craig Brittain, who founded the controversial revenge porn website IsAnybodyDown and has an alternative to Uber called Dryvyng (seriously). Brittain has also allegedly referred to himself as "a f**king genius and a legend," saying that people he has never met "should be honored to even be in my presence."

Ward has a solid lead in the primary, but Flake's dropping out should change the entire dynamic of the race. The Hill has even listed deep-red Arizona as a state in which Democrats might steal the Senate seat from Republicans because Ward has many problems of her own.

Here is a list of five potential conservative candidates to run against Ward and replace Flake.

1. John Shadegg.

Shadegg has longstanding conservative credentials, going all the way back to Sen. Barry Goldwater (R-Ariz.), the conservative hero who ran for president in 1964. He represented Arizona in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995 to 2011.

In the early 2000s, Shadegg served as chairman of the Republican Study Committee (RSC). He joined the race for House majority leader in 2006 as a compromise between Rep. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.) and Rep. John Boehner (R-Ohio). National Review, the Club for Growth, The Arizona Republic, and RedState all supported his bid.

2. Martha McSally.

Rep. Martha McSally (R-Ariz.) was the first woman to fly in combat and the first woman to command a U.S. Air Force fighter squadron. She also sued the Department of Defense (DOD), successfully striking down the military policy requiring U.S. and UK servicewomen stationed in Saudi Arabia to wear the body-covering abaya.

McSally won election to Congress in 2014 and re-election in 2016. In her first term, she had seven bills approved by the House, making her third in the number of bills she authored that have made it through the House. She has written many "narrowly drawn proposals to improve homeland security or to help veterans."

3. David Schweikert.

Rep. David Schweikert (R-Ariz.) has an impressive pro-life story and a solid background in both Arizona state politics and the U.S. House.

Schweikert was born to an unwed mother who almost had an abortion but chose instead to put him up for adoption, according to the congressman. This has made pro-life activism a very personal issue for him. The National Right to Life has given him a 100 percent rating.

4. Jan Brewer.

Former Governor Jan Brewer would throw a powerful wrench into the race. A vocal supporter of Trump from early on, Brewer is well-known for a strong stance against illegal immigration. Last year, Trump even said he would consider her as his running-mate. While Trump has said favorable things about Ward in the race, Brewer's entrance might push Trump into opposing the candidate of Steve Bannon.

Brewer handled a multibillion-dollar budget shortfall early in her term as governor. She reduced the size and scope of state government and pushed a temporary sales tax increase. When the tax increase expired in 2014, the state had a rainy day fund of $450 million.

5. Trent Franks.

Rep. Trent Franks (R-Ariz.) publicly withdrew from the 2018 Senate race, but Flake's withdrawal alters the state of the race. Franks is a strong conservative advocate in the U.S. House with experience in Arizona's state government as well.

After a brief stint in the Arizona House, Franks was appointed by Republican Governor Evan Mecham to head the Office for Children. In 1987, he founded the Arizona Family Research Institute, an organization affiliated with James Dobson's Focus on the Family.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/election/5-potential-conservative-replacements-for-sen-jeff-flake-besides-kelli-ward/

Martha

Kathianne
10-25-2017, 08:49 PM
Martha

Reading the brief bios, she'd be my choice too. If the GOP does put up Ward, I'll vote for whomever runs against her.

NightTrain
10-25-2017, 08:55 PM
Yeah, Martha looks pretty strong.

Brewer looks strong, as well.

High_Plains_Drifter
10-25-2017, 10:25 PM
Sure, his 91% agreement with Trump, his lifelong voting conservative of 95% is definitely who needs to go in Congress.
Link?

High_Plains_Drifter
10-25-2017, 10:33 PM
He didn't win the popular vote...

Yeah that "popular vote" thing... if you subtract the found cases of illegal aliens voting, the count is much closer, and thank God for framers having the foresight and intelligence to create the electoral college, or we'd have all the radical leftist trash in LA and NYC picking every president. What a fucked up mess we'd be if that happened.

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 07:25 AM
Link?

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/jeff-flake/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/robertrobb/2017/09/07/jeff-flake-voting-record-trump-policy/634768001/

The 'opposition,' like I said, he triangulated so he lost nearly all:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/10/25/forget-what-corker-and-flake-say-look-their-destructive-90-pro-trump-voting-records

https://www.axios.com/flake-2500935219.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/us/politics/fact-check-trump-flake-democrat.html

High_Plains_Drifter
10-26-2017, 08:26 AM
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/jeff-flake/

http://www.azcentral.com/story/opinion/op-ed/robertrobb/2017/09/07/jeff-flake-voting-record-trump-policy/634768001/

The 'opposition,' like I said, he triangulated so he lost nearly all:

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2017/10/25/forget-what-corker-and-flake-say-look-their-destructive-90-pro-trump-voting-records

https://www.axios.com/flake-2500935219.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/25/us/politics/fact-check-trump-flake-democrat.html

https://newrepublic.com/article/144151/jeff-flakes-conscience-conservative-rings-hollow

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 09:26 AM
https://newrepublic.com/article/144151/jeff-flakes-conscience-conservative-rings-hollow

You asked me for a link regarding Flake's voting record, I gave you several. You respond with an anti-Flake article link. I shouldn't have bothered I guess.

jimnyc
10-26-2017, 10:30 AM
If he votes basically along the line with Trump - is that a compliment to Trump, from those who like Flake? Or is that an insult to Flake, and in which case it shouldn't be bad seeing someone leave that's like Trump.

At the end of the day what matters is who the people are going to vote for, who they think is best for the position. For whatever reason, they aren't thrilled with him as of late. If he's not going to win an election, then announcing his departure early is a good thing for those who actually have a shot.

I like the sounds of all 5 of those listed. I like Brewer, for her immigration stances, but admittedly am not familiar with the entire bunch. I'm confident the people out there will choose someone decent to keep in place of a democrat.

PostmodernProphet
10-26-2017, 11:05 AM
More from state newspaper: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/2017/10/24/republican-senator-jeff-flake-announces-not-running-senate-reelection-gop-primary-ward-trump/793952001/

I expect Flake will run for the Demmycrat nomination for president in 2020......

PostmodernProphet
10-26-2017, 11:09 AM
Leads one to think perhaps she just wants in the Senate, so doesn't care whose place she takes. .

and do you think that is illogical?.....

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 11:54 AM
If he votes basically along the line with Trump - is that a compliment to Trump, from those who like Flake? Or is that an insult to Flake, and in which case it shouldn't be bad seeing someone leave that's like Trump.

At the end of the day what matters is who the people are going to vote for, who they think is best for the position. For whatever reason, they aren't thrilled with him as of late. If he's not going to win an election, then announcing his departure early is a good thing for those who actually have a shot.

I like the sounds of all 5 of those listed. I like Brewer, for her immigration stances, but admittedly am not familiar with the entire bunch. I'm confident the people out there will choose someone decent to keep in place of a democrat.

I think it nakes clear that his criticism on character is not one of issues. Flake has been a longtime Republican, not just recent.

Character is not just an issue when turned to those we don't agree with.

jimnyc
10-26-2017, 12:07 PM
I think it nakes clear that his criticism on character is not one of issues. Flake has been a longtime Republican, not just recent.

Character is not just an issue when turned to those we don't agree with.

Either way, if folks like him and would prefer he didn't leave, and his voting is similar to that of Trump's - while they may be miles apart personally, politically speaking, it shows that Trump and respected republicans aren't far apart. I'm less about personality and being PC and all that, and am more concerned with those who line up more with what I would like, and get results and what not.

jimnyc
10-26-2017, 12:10 PM
and do you think that is illogical?.....

Hell, if someone wants to represent their areas, and wants to see things get done, and their agenda is a decent one - then I couldn't care less who he/she replaces. The people will decide who they want representing them.

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 04:00 PM
Either way, if folks like him and would prefer he didn't leave, and his voting is similar to that of Trump's - while they may be miles apart personally, politically speaking, it shows that Trump and respected republicans aren't far apart. I'm less about personality and being PC and all that, and am more concerned with those who line up more with what I would like, and get results and what not.

Actually I think it shows that most people really don't know or care about the issues. I really believed it was mostly the left that was this way, but it's not, it's everyone, of every political direction they claim. It's a sign that society has really coarsened and is very happy about it.

BTW, my earlier post was text on phone, I truly suck at that.

jimnyc
10-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Actually I think it shows that most people really don't know or care about the issues. I really believed it was mostly the left that was this way, but it's not, it's everyone, of every political direction they claim. It's a sign that society has really coarsened and is very happy about it.

BTW, my earlier post was text on phone, I truly suck at that.

I think folks care about the issues just fine, maybe more so than ever. I think that's one of tha main reasons that Trump got elected to begin with. He was non-apologetic about what he wanted to do, and was less than politically correct about his plans to do so. While the non-PC attitude was refreshing to many, and not as much to many, it did get the attention of a lot of folks in the nation. I think the illegal immigration being the largest. A lot of Americans have been pissed about a ton of issues around illegal immigration, but it's always been handled with kid gloves, and seemingly more inportance given to them than our vets and so many other Americans. He said what a lot of people wanted to hear. Then there are folks like Flake who still touch the issue with kid gloves.

The whole "America First" also resonated with many, and still does.

Fighting terrorism more aggressively & also going harder at ISIS. Another major point. And then support for our veterans and for the VA, and just as much so towards our law enforcement.

And of course the economy, another large selling point of his, and of course something that Americans wanted to see improved.

Then Obamacare, the repeal of it, or the attempts. But this was something that many wanted to see disappear, and something that he was strong about doing so.

Many don't like him for the way he states he'll get things done. His past words/scandals and his non-stop use of twitter, often like a child.

But that stuff aside, the issues, important issues, are the reasons that folks voted for him.

And then much of it continues. I think other politicians, those that are similar on many of the issues, are also trying a different approach here and there, trying different ways to approach citizens. Twitter has exploded and is almost a must now for politicians. I think overall, the conversations, and much of how they're presented, have changed some as well. But I don't see much different as far as the issues are concerned.

I think everyone has their initial choices when the early election seasons start. But then its been getting differently after that, if and when others leave in elections, not our first choices start coming out on top, and the choices at the polling booths aren't always as nice as they used to be. You have some like me that are willing to take a chance on someone not their first choice, in the hopes that the next candidate will be better than the democrat presented, and have overall better agendas and voting than the democrat. And then some that won't vote on secondary candidates based in principles. And perhaps may vote for a candidate with lower numbers with a lower expectation of winning. I don't think either is right or wrong in such situations.

LongTermGuy
10-26-2017, 05:00 PM
​Good riddance.....
http://www.joemygod.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/JeffFlake-660x330.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xRrUVVKigk

"The reason Flake is leaving is ’cause he can’t win reelection. Jeff Flake is barely polling double digits in Arizona, as an incumbent. So he’s trying to blame that on Trump. Poor Jeff Flake cannot win reelection. So he decides that he’s had enough, he can’t any longer subject himself to the kind of just debasement to politics that his part is now supporting. He just cannot any longer stand idly by and let this kind of terror and horror happen, and so he’s leaving.

What that means is: He can’t win reelection. So he goes to the floor of the Senate with “a fiery speech” blaming Trump.

The Drive-Bys love it ’cause to them that’s Republican disunity. I see it as Republican unity. I see it as Trump doing what he said he was gonna do.

He’s draining the swamp. And I’ll tell you this: The more Flakes the better. This is what draining the swamp looks like, folks. It was never gonna be pretty! You think draining the swamp is simply getting rid of the deep state embeds? It’s not just that. It’s getting rid of a bunch of RINOs.`

>>>>>Let’s go through Flake’s voting record, shall we? Jeff Flake presents himself as this dyed-in-the-wool conservative, does he not? He campaigns as a conservative just like the vaunted Senator McCain does.

But something happens, like it does to practically all of these people. After the campaign and win reelection, they then show up in the swamp and promptly forget those things they said. A guy named Jason Johnson, who worked on the Ted Cruz campaign (or maybe in Cruz’s office) put together a little list here in response to Flake’s pathetic floor speech yesterday (http://theresurgent.com/useful-data-to-show-you-that-jeff-flake-beat-jeff-flake-bannon-and-trump-did-not-beat-him/).

“1) Tempting to comment on Flake’s floor speech. Instead, offering context on his view of ‘governing’ by highlighting a few of his votes,” because his speech yesterday was all about how he can’t stand aside anymore. He can’t stand silent anymore. He simply cannot allow any of this to go on! So he’s gonna quit. He can’t, in good conscience, let somebody so unfit and so barbaric and so whatever he thinks Trump is to sit there.
“2) Jeff Flake was one of 10 Republican senators who voted to confirm Loretta Lynch for attorney general. 3) Flake voted to fund President Obama’s unconstitutional executive amnesty.

4) Flake voted against Sen. Mike Lee’s Fist Amendment Defense Act.

5) Flake voted for Obama’s $1.1 trillion Cromnibus 2015 spending bill.

6) Flake voted to reauthorize the Export-Import Bank.

7) Flake voted for S.2114 which increased Russia’s power at the International Monetary Fund.

8) Flake voted for a CLEAN debt limit suspension (2014).
“9) Flake was one of 11 Republican senators who voted to confirm Janet Yellen. 10) Flake voted for the Ryan-Murray budget which lifted spending caps & raised fees (taxes) in exchange for promises of future spending cuts,” which, of coruse, never happened. “11) Flake voted for the Gang of 8 amnesty bill,” and yet when he’s campaigning out there in Arizona, he doesn’t campaign for amnesty, does he? 12) Flake voted for the post-Newtown gun grab. 13) Flake voted AGAINST The Defund Obamacare Act of 2013 (S.1292). …
“15) Flake preferred John Kasich over Cruz or Trump in the 2016 GOP Primary. 16) There’s more, but why bother. He has the right to say what he said but these votes and more” are why he is leaving the Senate. The people of Arizona know! You know, there’s a great story here. Let me see… I have a great, great story, and it actually runs at CNN. It is a column by Mark Bauerlein, who is “a professor of English at Emory University, senior editor of the journal First Things and author of ‘The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future; or, Don’t Trust Anyone Under 30.'”

Black Diamond
10-26-2017, 05:05 PM
Snow Flake. :laugh.

I kill me.

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 05:20 PM
I think folks care about the issues just fine, maybe more so than ever. I think that's one of tha main reasons that Trump got elected to begin with. He was non-apologetic about what he wanted to do, and was less than politically correct about his plans to do so. While the non-PC attitude was refreshing to many, and not as much to many, it did get the attention of a lot of folks in the nation. I think the illegal immigration being the largest. A lot of Americans have been pissed about a ton of issues around illegal immigration, but it's always been handled with kid gloves, and seemingly more inportance given to them than our vets and so many other Americans. He said what a lot of people wanted to hear. Then there are folks like Flake who still touch the issue with kid gloves.

The whole "America First" also resonated with many, and still does.

Fighting terrorism more aggressively & also going harder at ISIS. Another major point. And then support for our veterans and for the VA, and just as much so towards our law enforcement.

And of course the economy, another large selling point of his, and of course something that Americans wanted to see improved.

Then Obamacare, the repeal of it, or the attempts. But this was something that many wanted to see disappear, and something that he was strong about doing so.

Many don't like him for the way he states he'll get things done. His past words/scandals and his non-stop use of twitter, often like a child.

But that stuff aside, the issues, important issues, are the reasons that folks voted for him.

And then much of it continues. I think other politicians, those that are similar on many of the issues, are also trying a different approach here and there, trying different ways to approach citizens. Twitter has exploded and is almost a must now for politicians. I think overall, the conversations, and much of how they're presented, have changed some as well. But I don't see much different as far as the issues are concerned.

I think everyone has their initial choices when the early election seasons start. But then its been getting differently after that, if and when others leave in elections, not our first choices start coming out on top, and the choices at the polling booths aren't always as nice as they used to be. You have some like me that are willing to take a chance on someone not their first choice, in the hopes that the next candidate will be better than the democrat presented, and have overall better agendas and voting than the democrat. And then some that won't vote on secondary candidates based in principles. And perhaps may vote for a candidate with lower numbers with a lower expectation of winning. I don't think either is right or wrong in such situations.

If Trump wasn't his bombastic self, he would not have won. If people really cared about the issues, those voting would vote by issues positions and records, not on the type of sling fests going on, including what took place against Trump from the looks of it. The. People. Don't. Care. They are voting for those who are the crudest and endorse, by insinuation or more directly violence.

Whoa!!!! Not talking about Trump alone, a case can easily be made for the same by Obama, the DNC, Schumer. It's what the 'people' want for the most part, the permission to 'destroy' the opposition.

jimnyc
10-26-2017, 06:09 PM
If Trump wasn't his bombastic self, he would not have won. If people really cared about the issues, those voting would vote by issues positions and records, not on the type of sling fests going on, including what took place against Trump from the looks of it. The. People. Don't. Care. They are voting for those who are the crudest and endorse, by insinuation or more directly violence.

Whoa!!!! Not talking about Trump alone, a case can easily be made for the same by Obama, the DNC, Schumer. It's what the 'people' want for the most part, the permission to 'destroy' the opposition.

I'm pretty sure I know why I voted. But perhaps you know me better than I know myself. :dunno: Seems like you just ignored the reasons I gave for why I voted for him, and that was only off the top of my head. Perhaps others wanted similarly. :dunno: But I guess that doesn't fit someone's mold or expectations, so somehow it's not about issues. Folks can call me whatever they like, even a liberal, I really don't care. I always choose someone who lines up mostly with what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:

Black Diamond
10-26-2017, 06:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I know why I voted. But perhaps you know me better than I know myself. :dunno: Seems like you just ignored the reasons I gave for why I voted for him, and that was only off the top of my head. Perhaps others wanted similarly. :dunno: But I guess that doesn't fit someone's mold or expectations, so somehow it's not about issues. Folks can call me whatever they like, even a liberal, I really don't care. I always choose someone who lines up mostly with what I'm looking for. :rolleyes:
You voted for him because you want violence.

Black Diamond
10-26-2017, 06:18 PM
http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/25/jeff-flake-says-he-didnt-vote-for-trump-refuses-to-answer-whether-hillary-would-be-better-video/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Roflmao. Yeah real trump supporter.

Kathianne
10-26-2017, 06:35 PM

You always seem to think I'm talking about YOU, I wasn't. You've proven many times that you are more than aware of the issues. I was trying to respond, that was all. Doesn't matter.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/10/25/jeff-flake-says-he-didnt-vote-for-trump-refuses-to-answer-whether-hillary-would-be-better-video/?utm_campaign=thedcmainpage&utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social

Roflmao. Yeah real trump supporter.

What rubbish. No one has called Flake a Trump supporter. I've gone out of my way to say he had no use for him during the primaries, after the nomination, during the election contest, and since he won. None of which changes his voting record, before or since Trump.

Black Diamond
10-26-2017, 06:43 PM
You always seem to think I'm talking about YOU, I wasn't. You've proven many times that you are more than aware of the issues. I was trying to respond, that was all. Doesn't matter.

What rubbish. No one has called Flake a Trump supporter. I've gone out of my way to say he had no use for him during the primaries, after the nomination, during the election contest, and since he won. None of which changes his voting record, before or since Trump.
So snow flake and mclame both voted for Hillary and you think they are on the right side.

Gunny
10-26-2017, 06:53 PM
I agree with Kath. Most people vote for who they're told to vote for and don't bother having a real knowledge of what is going on. No? * years of Obama says different. More than 50% voted for him twice. Hillary won the popular vote so more than 50% voted for her. Going to call those voters knowledgeable? I call them (willfully) ignorant or just stupid.

AND ... guilty of Kath's assertion it is about name calling. The only thing I can stand about Trump even though I know it isn't always in the Nation's best interest is when he comes out with a good zinger. THAT is his appeal to his supporters. I think y'all call it "taking no shit". Painting it with a different color is like putting lipstick on a pig. Still a pig and a transparent disguise.

jimnyc
10-27-2017, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE=Kathianne;884043]You always seem to think I'm talking about YOU, I wasn't. You've proven many times that you are more than aware of the issues. I was trying to respond, that was all. Doesn't matter. [QUOTE]

Splitting hairs... You said the people that voted for Trump don't care about the issues, and that the people don't care about the issues that voted for him, that we voted for the crudest.... I figured if you were speaking of Trump supporters and their reasons for voting, and I am a Trump voter, that it applied to me as well.

I don't mind, I'm just pointing out that for myself, a Trump voter, that couldn't be more false.

Kathianne
10-27-2017, 10:58 AM

Splitting hairs... You said the people that voted for Trump don't care about the issues, and that the people don't care about the issues that voted for him, that we voted for the crudest.... I figured if you were speaking of Trump supporters and their reasons for voting, and I am a Trump voter, that it applied to me as well.

I don't mind, I'm just pointing out that for myself, a Trump voter, that couldn't be more false.

I certainly wasn't referring to 'all,' nor was I limiting it to Trump voters alone. I guess it's been coming for awhile and I guess I just didn't want to see it. While Obama wasn't 'crude' in the same sense as Trump, he and his core had a very divisive campaign and vision of where his presidency would go. It did and was more than predictable. Same with Trump. In neither case, were all of their supporters of the same mindset. In both cases, the supporters kept supporting in spite of the divisiveness. I truly don't think Trump would have been President if not for Obama and that has much more to do with the men, not the issues.

I don't know that Gunny's right that there will be a change down the road. I hope there is, indeed I fervently hope that some of the folks that are wondering about or just leaving the two parties may do so.

When Obama was president I spent plenty of time thinking and reading and writing about what he and his 'vision' were doing to the country. Now it's Trump who's being examined under the same microscope. Came across this article today, it doesn't bode well for the future, at least how I'd like to see the country heading:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/10/jeff-flake-joins-the-conservative-exodus/543909/

jimnyc
10-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Losers are going to 'Flake' because winners make policy and whiners go home

As dear leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) is fond of saying, “winners make policy, losers go home.” And yet unfortunately, Republicans in the Senate refuse to take the phrase to heart. Which is a real shame.

We are just under 280 days into the Trump presidency, yet beyond nominations, Congress has made almost no progress passing the agenda America elected them to enact. The Republican Party is in the strongest position it’s seen in nearly a century, yet “leaders” on the Hill and prominent Sens. like Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) and Bob Corker (R-Tenn) complain like they’re stuck in the minority.

They have promised us for years that they’d repeal ObamaCare, lower taxes, decrease burdensome regulation, but they finally have the chance with a president willing and eager to sign legislation and they simply can’t get their act together.

They just don’t get it.

Donald Trump’s victory last November was not just a repudiation of the Democrat Party and Hillary Clinton. No, 2016 was a revolt against the entire Washington establishment, both on the left and the right. Don’t forget, Trump blew away everyone in the Republican primary too, from accomplished governors to Jeb Bush (R) from Tea Party darlings to washed up Senators. Trump wiped the floor with them.

And the message from this trouncing is clear: the American people are tired of the status quo, of business as usual.

So while these Republicans in D.C. are still lost in the mindset that voters will still support them because "they're not the other guys," that's not entirely true: promises were made, tens of millions of dollars were raised off said promises. Time to man up, Republicans, and fulfill those promises or else people might call you for what you're acting like right now: liars.

However, some, seemingly because they lack the courage to do what they said they were going to do, are retiring. I call them the Binky Brigade. As in whining and crying about how mean that big, bad man in the White House is saying hurtful things about them. Memo to the Binky Brigade: this is politics. It's a full contact sport, a blood sport.

It's the battleground of ideas. And why are you worried about Trump saying "mean" things about you on Twitter when you should be damn well concerned about your constituents who are going to either vote for you, or not.

Rest - http://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/357585-losers-gonna-flake-because-winners-make-policy-and-whiners-go-home