PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Trump Republicans have three options

jimnyc
10-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't care if GOP members don't care for Trump and don't speak publicly how much they love him. But I do care when they work against, which harms overall GOP agendas. And I don't care if they get warm and fuzzy about GOP bills and votes, that are supported by the majority of the GOP, and they vote against, even when their home constituency wants otherwise. You don't need to like him, he doesn't need to like you. Everyone simply do their jobs and much more would get done.

---

Anti-Trump Republicans have three options — but only one can save their party

The most stinging critiques of Donald Trump’s presidency in the last few weeks have come not from Democrats, but from Republican members of the U.S. Senate.

“I will not be complicit,” said Jeff Flake of Arizona. Trump’s “reckless, outrageous and undignified behavior … is dangerous to a democracy.”

“The debasing of our nation, the constant non-truth-telling … will be what he is remembered for,” said Bob Corker of Tennessee. “He is obviously not going to rise to the occasion as president.”

“Half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems,” said John McCain of Arizona, slamming Trump’s foreign policy.

And yet, Trump is not facing a serious intraparty revolt. Of 52 Republicans in the Senate, only seven have publicly criticized Trump’s performance in office. Even fewer have voted against major legislation he wanted. And two of the seven, Corker and Flake, are retiring at the end of 2018. If there were a coherent “Never Trump” caucus in the Senate — there isn’t — it would be shrinking, not growing.

The main reason is obvious: Trump commands the support of most Republican voters, and he’s threatened to use his popularity to scotch the reelection of anyone who crosses him.

An NBC/Wall Street Journal poll last month found that 58% of GOP voters consider themselves primarily “supporters of Donald Trump,” not “supporters of the Republican Party.”

Flake’s fate serves as a warning. The Goldwater conservative decided early that he couldn’t stomach Trump’s populist, not-really-conservative policies. Unlike most of his colleagues, including McCain, he steadfastly refused to endorse Trump as the GOP nominee.

That enraged the president, who announced that he would look for a loyalist to run against Flake, and offered to spend $10 million of his own money to bankroll the challenge. When Flake didn’t stop his criticism, Trump’s former advisor, Stephen K. Bannon, helped marshal support for Kelli Ward, a fiery former state senator who entered the race as the pro-Trump alternative.

Privately, GOP strategists didn’t consider Ward a strong candidate — but with the apparent imprimatur of the White House, her fundraising and support shot up. One poll last month showed her beating the incumbent easily, 58% to 31%.

Last week, Flake caved and said he had decided to retire.

“He went down without a fight,” Bannon crowed. “Flake shows you one important thing: The money is getting turned off.”

Rest - http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-mcmanus-no-trump-opposition-20171029-story.html

tailfins
10-29-2017, 11:07 PM
The ideological anti-Trumpers are Cruz, Lee and Sasse. Their approach is to quietly build coalitions and wait for the right time when Trump too heavily damages the Republican brand to step in. When keeping a low profile and voting for bills serves the conservative cause, they do so. When it doesn't they don't. Some healthy Trump skepticism is a good thing. If it weren't for Democrats suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, Trump would have already sold out to Sen. Chucky-Schmucky Schumer.

Black Diamond
10-29-2017, 11:23 PM
The ideological anti-Trumpers are Cruz, Lee and Sasse. Their approach is to quietly build coalitions and wait for the right time when Trump too heavily damages the Republican brand to step in. When keeping a low profile and voting for bills serves the conservative cause, they do so. When it doesn't they don't. Some healthy Trump skepticism is a good thing. If it weren't for Democrats suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome, Trump would have already sold out to Sen. Chucky-Schmucky Schumer.
Cool story bro

Gunny
10-30-2017, 02:55 PM
Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't care if GOP members don't care for Trump and don't speak publicly how much they love him. But I do care when they work against, which harms overall GOP agendas. And I don't care if they get warm and fuzzy about GOP bills and votes, that are supported by the majority of the GOP, and they vote against, even when their home constituency wants otherwise. You don't need to like him, he doesn't need to like you. Everyone simply do their jobs and much more would get done.

---

Anti-Trump Republicans have three options — but only one can save their party

The most stinging critiques of Donald Trump’s presidency in the last few weeks have come not from Democrats, but from Republican members of the U.S. Senate.

“I will not be complicit,” said Jeff Flake of Arizona. Trump’s “reckless, outrageous and undignified behavior … is dangerous to a democracy.”

“The debasing of our nation, the constant non-truth-telling … will be what he is remembered for,” said Bob Corker of Tennessee. “He is obviously not going to rise to the occasion as president.”

“Half-baked, spurious nationalism cooked up by people who would rather find scapegoats than solve problems,” said John McCain of Arizona, slamming Trump’s foreign policy.

And yet, Trump is not facing a serious intraparty revolt. Of 52 Republicans in the Senate, only seven have publicly criticized Trump’s performance in office. Even fewer have voted against major legislation he wanted. And two of the seven, Corker and Flake, are retiring at the end of 2018. If there were a coherent “Never Trump” caucus in the Senate — there isn’t — it would be shrinking, not growing.

The main reason is obvious: Trump commands the support of most Republican voters, and he’s threatened to use his popularity to scotch the reelection of anyone who crosses him.

An NBC/Wall Street Journal poll last month found that 58% of GOP voters consider themselves primarily “supporters of Donald Trump,” not “supporters of the Republican Party.”

Flake’s fate serves as a warning. The Goldwater conservative decided early that he couldn’t stomach Trump’s populist, not-really-conservative policies. Unlike most of his colleagues, including McCain, he steadfastly refused to endorse Trump as the GOP nominee.

That enraged the president, who announced that he would look for a loyalist to run against Flake, and offered to spend $10 million of his own money to bankroll the challenge. When Flake didn’t stop his criticism, Trump’s former advisor, Stephen K. Bannon, helped marshal support for Kelli Ward, a fiery former state senator who entered the race as the pro-Trump alternative.

Privately, GOP strategists didn’t consider Ward a strong candidate — but with the apparent imprimatur of the White House, her fundraising and support shot up. One poll last month showed her beating the incumbent easily, 58% to 31%.

Last week, Flake caved and said he had decided to retire.

“He went down without a fight,” Bannon crowed. “Flake shows you one important thing: The money is getting turned off.”

Rest - http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-mcmanus-no-trump-opposition-20171029-story.html"don't shoot the messenger ..." followed by a political opinion sounds about like when mom used to say "Now you boys no I never talk bad about your dad, BUT ....":rolleyes:

People who live in glass houses built on foundations of sand should NOT be issuing ultimatums. I count several more than "three choices". The first is: sit in the boat and watch you drown. Alienating voters when you aren't exactly flush with them is dumb. Lest the author forgets the elephant in the room besides Trump, he's only President because of Hillary. The win was a fluke. No sour grapes either, jimbob. Just fact.

Trump supporters are acting exactly just like Democrats. Trying to bully and scare people into doing it their way. Trump would be proud. The author states in so many words that the problem is conservatives who don't like Trump and/or the GOP. Doesn't look like a problem to me. I'm a conservative. Not a Trumpie and not a Republican.

Seems to me the author needs to lay off the kronic and start dealing with reality. The Democrats are coming for blood next time around, and had they done so in 2016, there'd be no Trump. Pissing off a bloc of voters that got you elected is just stupid.

On a personal note speaking just for me, I got 2 EX wives you can ask how they got that "EX" listing. Issuing ultimatums to me.

jimnyc
10-30-2017, 03:07 PM
"don't shoot the messenger ..." followed by a political opinion sounds about like when mom used to say "Now you boys no I never talk bad about your dad, BUT ....":rolleyes:

Considering everything written after I wrote that is from someone else - you can take your rolling eyes and shove them up your ass, tough guy.

Gunny
10-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Considering everything written after I wrote that is from someone else - you can take your rolling eyes and shove them up your ass, tough guy.My ass is too tight. Sorry. :slap:

And I made a point of addressing the author, thanks because I KNEW no matter what I said since it don't go "Oh golly gee he's right. Guess I better get on the bully train while I can" was going to be wrong.:laugh: You need wear the shoe only if it fits ;)

Black Diamond
10-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Collins was encouraging yesterday. Maybe.

Black Diamond
10-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Trump won't be impeached and he will be the nominee again and will win again. The idea he only has two years to accomplish his goals is untrue.

Gunny
10-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Trump won't be impeached and he will be the nominee again and will win again. The idea he only has two years to accomplish his goals is untrue.I doubt he'll be impeached. As of this moment, the best they seem to be able to come up with after pending a fortune in tax dollars is Manafort. Obama should have been impeached and he wasn't for whatever that's worth.

As foar as 2020 goes, we'll see. An attack of the ho-hums and or disaffection with party got Obama elected. It will depend as much on the Dems as the GOP what happens.

Either way, alienating voters by insulting their beliefs doesn't seem to be the way to go to me. A statement was made that the majority of GOP voters are for Trump, then the word "RINO" was slung around. Perhaps that needs to be changed to "CONSERVATIVE in name only" since the "Republican" is just the brand name that if what is stated above is true, isn't conservative. Being more conservative than Democrats isn't saying much, nor being conservative.

There are enough people on the right that dislike Trump to screw him in 2020. Ask George Bush the I. Or, more poignantly, ask Hitlery. Her own party screwed her in the Electoral College. Just depends on who plays the game the right way. If the Dems get over their crybaby act and actually get a plan together, no telling what may happen.

More importantly Black Diamond, If you wear flannel shirts, Duluth Trading has their $50. flannels from last year on sale for $25. Like I care if I'm wearing last year's copy of a Scot tartan. I can vouch for the quality of the shirts.

jimnyc
10-30-2017, 04:00 PM
My ass is too tight. Sorry. :slap:

And I made a point of addressing the author, thanks because I KNEW no matter what I said since it don't go "Oh golly gee he's right. Guess I better get on the bully train while I can" was going to be wrong.:laugh: You need wear the shoe only if it fits ;)

And still, not a thing has been written by me about any opinion in this thread.

But it's YOU proving the Trump Derangement Syndrome. You've proved it quite a few times now with inane babbling. And here you are, literally making shit up, in your head. :rolleyes:

And you've been wrong pretty much every step of the way with Trump. One day, something will change, and you will then say "I told you so". TDS does that. :laugh2:

Black Diamond
10-30-2017, 04:03 PM
I doubt he'll be impeached. As of this moment, the best they seem to be able to come up with after pending a fortune in tax dollars is Manafort. Obama should have been impeached and he wasn't for whatever that's worth.

As foar as 2020 goes, we'll see. An attack of the ho-hums and or disaffection with party got Obama elected. It will depend as much on the Dems as the GOP what happens.

Either way, alienating voters by insulting their beliefs doesn't seem to be the way to go to me. A statement was made that the majority of GOP voters are for Trump, then the word "RINO" was slung around. Perhaps that needs to be changed to "CONSERVATIVE in name only" since the "Republican" is just the brand name that if what is stated above is true, isn't conservative. Being more conservative than Democrats isn't saying much, nor being conservative.

There are enough people on the right that dislike Trump to screw him in 2020. Ask George Bush the I. Or, more poignantly, ask Hitlery. Her own party screwed her in the Electoral College. Just depends on who plays the game the right way. If the Dems get over their crybaby act and actually get a plan together, no telling what may happen.

More importantly @Black Diamond (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2142), If you wear flannel shirts, Duluth Trading has their $50. flannels from last year on sale for $25. Like I care if I'm wearing last year's copy of a Scot tartan. I can vouch for the quality of the shirts.
Can use the shirts in this fucking icebox.

Black Diamond
10-30-2017, 04:03 PM

But it's YOU proving the Trump Derangement Syndrome. You've proved it quite a few times now with inane babbling. And here you are, literally making shit up, in your head. :rolleyes:

And you've been wrong pretty much every step of the way with Trump. One day, something will change, and you will then say "I told you so". TDS does that. :laugh2:
Tide is about to turn.

Gunny
10-30-2017, 04:13 PM

Nothing inane about my "babbling". Your opinion is in your OP. Nothing to make up. Besides, jackass, my response to your original opinion was just a :poke:. I forgot. When it comes to Trump or the Steelers ....

I don't have any derangement syndrome. If TDS stands for Trump's A Dick, then it is accurate but not a syndrome. Trump's a dick. Get over it. He's been one as long as I have known of him back in the 80s. His Presidency doesn't doesn't wipe 40 years give or take of dick-dom. My opinion certainly isn't going to change by someone else's being forced on me. I don't believe in his brand of bullshit and if I bother to vote for him next election it'll be for the same reason -- to keep some lunatic lefty that's worse out.

Otherwise, I'm shopping. I need some new running shoes. I'm kind of picky for the amount I pay for them. I have "I Need a Perfect Pair of Running Shoes Syndrome" :)

Black Diamond
10-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Nothing inane about my "babbling". Your opinion is in your OP. Nothing to make up. Besides, jackass, my response to your original opinion was just a :poke:. I forgot. When it comes to Trump or the Steelers ....

I don't have any derangement syndrome. If TDS stands for Trump's A Dick, then it is accurate but not a syndrome. Trump's a dick. Get over it. He's been one as long as I have known of him back in the 80s. His Presidency doesn't doesn't wipe 40 years give or take of dick-dom. My opinion certainly isn't going to change by someone else's being forced on me. I don't believe in his brand of bullshit and if I bother to vote for him next election it'll be for the same reason -- to keep some lunatic lefty that's worse out.

Otherwise, I'm shopping. I need some new running shoes. I'm kind of picky for the amount I pay for them. I have "I Need a Perfect Pair of Running Shoes Syndrome" :)
Trump may be a dick but to stick everyone with Obama's shit over personal vendettas makes that person a rino or worse. Mclame, snowflake get fucked. I say only air Jordans for you. Jim should be done with the steelers and NFL in general . Enjoy the memories of Super Bowls before the league turned into what it is. I am playing it low key again here for a while.

Gunny
10-30-2017, 05:33 PM
Trump may be a dick but to stick everyone with Obama's shit over personal vendettas makes that person a rino or worse. Mclame, snowflake get fucked. I say only air Jordans for you. Jim should be done with the steelers and NFL in general . Enjoy the memories of Super Bowls before the league turned into what it is. I am playing it low key again here for a while.I can tell you are NOT a sneaker afficionado :laugh:. Air Jordans are basketball shoes. They suck to run in. I DO have a pair of Nike basketball sneaks. Not sure I'll be playing THAT again. My ounding up and down the court days are over.

My comment is based on the author's article, not Jimbob's hemorrhoids. He DOES however (the author) sound all too familiar with the Trump supporter attitude. He makes Trump sound like some mythical hero that against all odds won a virtuous duel with evil on his own, with only Trump supporters giving him the win. The rest of us lowly "conservatives" are suddenly the RINOs, when in fact, the opposite is true. We were here first and without us you'd be saying Madame President. We aren't the traitors to conservative idealism. The winner doesn't get to claim being conservative and it be true on the win alone. Some idealism goes with it.

I haven't taken a thing away from Trump except undue adulation from fans saying I'm the deranged one. I'm just not giving him credit where it's not due and I'll criticize whoever the f- I want; especially, someone I voted for. Anybody doesn't like that can get themselves a nice soothing ointment and apply it where it hurts the most.

The author falls under the title of: "Things Better Left Unsaid"; or, "Why make Enemies of/Alienate People for No Reason"? Especially of those that supported their Olympian God and helped put him where he is.