PDA

View Full Version : New US Navy PT Requirement

Gunny
11-27-2017, 06:34 PM
As of Jan 1, 2018, all US Navy recruits will be required to be able to run the mile and a half in 15 upon reporting to basic training. I have no idea how they intend to enforce it. Backlash on the recruiters, probably. The reasoning is that it takes away from time better used elsewhere in training if they have to learn it in basic.

I have no opinion one way or the other. Had I a choice, I would have tried to be as prepared as possible when I went to boot camp. I signed on Friday and flew on Monday :laugh:. I think most of these kids go into the DEP now. Marine poolees are required to PT and study knowledge while in the DEP and the recruiters are required to have a hands-on approach. It DOES come back on Marine recruiters if they don't.

aboutime
11-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Gunny. Maybe they give them 15 minutes to run a mile and a half, as a last chance to get away before the haircut, and bending over for the
MAGIC FINGER????:dance::laugh::laugh:

It might even be before they RAISE THEIR HAND to the oath?????????:laugh:

Gunny
11-27-2017, 09:16 PM
Gunny. Maybe they give them 15 minutes to run a mile and a half, as a last chance to get away before the haircut, and bending over for the
MAGIC FINGER????:dance::laugh::laugh:

It might even be before they RAISE THEIR HAND to the oath?????????:laugh:You ARE old, AT :laugh:. They haven't done the physical at boot camp for decades. You get that at the AFEES (they call it a MEPS now). There's no more sign one day leave the next like I did. That ended in the 80s with AIDS. Minimum you're waiting for that blood test to come back before you get to do squat.

If you and I went back in right now we'd be lost. Everything's computerized and what used to take weeks now takes minutes. I'm sure they have their 10 pounds of paper trail per person as they always have, but it's pretty pointless nowadays. That bar code on the back of your ID? That's YOU. Our entire careers are now no longer than the back of a card and wide as a pencil.

aboutime
11-27-2017, 09:56 PM
You ARE old, AT :laugh:. They haven't done the physical at boot camp for decades. You get that at the AFEES (they call it a MEPS now). There's no more sign one day leave the next like I did. That ended in the 80s with AIDS. Minimum you're waiting for that blood test to come back before you get to do squat.

If you and I went back in right now we'd be lost. Everything's computerized and what used to take weeks now takes minutes. I'm sure they have their 10 pounds of paper trail per person as they always have, but it's pretty pointless nowadays. That bar code on the back of your ID? That's YOU. Our entire careers are now no longer than the back of a card and wide as a pencil.

I know Gunny. Too bad political correctness, and wussyness has given way for what the traditions were. I went to Boot camp in Great Lakes...May of 1964. Nothing ever stays the same. I knew it was really over when sailors stopped wearing Bell bottom dungaree's, and the blue work shirt. Now it's all Cammys ...blue, fancy, hard to see in the water if you fall overboard. Even Man Overboard drills have been shortened with the use of GPS. Wonder how good the navigation would be if the POWER went out for more than 15 minutes? Talk about chickens with their heads cut off??
As for PT. I had to watch my weight like a hawk, and I was thin before I retired. Today, I wonder if anybody is healthy enough to run up any ladder during GQ Drills?
As for the ID. Yeah. All we ever were were NUMBERS. And the Blue Card doesn't need any info other than the BAR CODE.