PDA

View Full Version : b-b-b-but life EVOLVED (magically) - there IS no creator

darin
11-30-2017, 08:51 AM
Unless MAN is the creator -

https://apnews.com/d5593368a4b849e792e385550823cab1/Expanding-DNA's-alphabet-lets-cells-produce-novel-proteins

WASHINGTON (AP) — Scientists are expanding the genetic code of life, using man-made DNA to create a semi-synthetic strain of bacteria — and new research shows those altered microbes actually worked to produce proteins unlike those found in nature.

It’s a step toward designer drug development.

One of the first lessons in high school biology: All life is made up of four DNA building blocks known by the letters A, T, C and G. Paired together, they form DNA’s ladder-like rungs. Now there’s a new rung on that ladder.

A team at The Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, expanded the genetic alphabet, creating two artificial DNA “letters” called X and Y. A few years ago, the researchers brewed up a type of E. coli bacteria commonly used for lab research that contained both natural DNA and this new artificial base pair — storing extra genetic information inside cells.

The next challenge: Normal DNA contains the coding for cells to form proteins that do the work of life. Could cells carrying this weird genomic hybrid work the same way?

Sure enough, the altered cells glowed green as they produced a fluorescent protein containing unnatural amino acids, researchers reported Wednesday in the journal Nature.

“We can make proteins that are built of more things than they normally are,” explained Scripps chemist Floyd Romesberg, who leads the project.

While programming the green germs offered evidence that the approach can work, eventually “we would like to get proteins that do new things,” he said.

:)

Cool stuff.

pete311
11-30-2017, 11:08 AM
Silly title, cool story.

darin
11-30-2017, 01:05 PM
Silly title, cool story.

if you found that new lifeform would you assume it also happened by accident?

pete311
11-30-2017, 01:39 PM
if you found that new lifeform would you assume it also happened by accident?
Who cares what I think. I'm no scientist.

BoogyMan
11-30-2017, 01:46 PM

Scientists are NOT infallible and are just like the rest of us.

Black Diamond
11-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Einstein once said that one day someone could come along and undo all his work in 15 minutes.

darin
12-01-2017, 01:37 AM

That's just not manly.

pete311
12-01-2017, 08:58 AM

With that train of thought go get your transmission replaced by an accountant.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-01-2017, 10:05 AM
Is this thread supposed to be some sort of Man vs God thread?

darin
12-12-2017, 03:52 AM
no. this thread demonstrates how a creator is allowable if MAN is the creator.

If the story was "god" created this 'life' as the scientists had, people would dismiss it.