PDA

View Full Version : New Forum - "Safe Space"

jimnyc
12-04-2017, 02:47 PM
I'm thinking of a new forum here. We have the lounge, which is for just daily chat of whatever, to get away from politics. We of course have our "Steel Cage", which is where threads/posts go that have run their course and have turned into pure fighting. Members can also start threads in that forum intended to fight with another member.

This new forum, "Safe Space", will be a place that our members can go to, to be guaranteed to be safe from trolling, from name calling and from anything that generally may make you feel less than shiny and new that day.

In this forum, everyone MUST be nice to you, or they cannot post in that forum or reply to anything you post. If anyone calls names or starts fights while you are there to get away from it all for awhile, they will be banned instantly on the spot. This forum is intended to make people feel all warm and fuzzy inside, not to feel attacked.

In this forum, you will be welcomed with open arms and no more than a loving response from your friends.

Yeah, and then you woke up the next day and unicorns started flying out your ears and ass, and Obama is back to being president, and the queer folks of the world now run our military.

I probably should start a safe space kind of forum, guaranteed to be all jolly and sunshine. I would imagine it would attract nothing but lovely folks!! :rolleyes:

Anyway...

--

Safe Spaces Are an Answer to the Ever-More-Hostile Internet

If Facebook, YouTube and Twitter won’t police online content, there are new services and apps to do it

America is finally waking up to the fact that the internet is an increasingly hostile and unsafe place to do business, hang out or share with friends.

The epicenter of the problem tends to be at social media networks—specifically Twitter , TWTR -0.75% YouTube and Facebook —where Russian bots, fake news, creepy ad tracking, political polarization, sketchy videos and oh so many internet trolls can be found. While the ad revenue is still pouring in, it’s no wonder people are limiting what they share and how they interact online.

Evan Spiegel, chief executive of Snap Inc., creator of Snapchat, articulated it well—if self-servingly—this week in a post: “The combination of social and media has yielded incredible business results, but has ultimately undermined our relationships with our friends and our relationships with the media.” Mr. Spiegel unveiled a redesign of Snapchat that separates professional content from personal sharing.

A new breed of apps and services takes this to heart. Having learned from the tech giants’ mistakes, they are emerging as islands in the internet storm—I call them “safe spaces.” They filter content without asking for personal data and without lulling us into the cycle of mindless engagement that mostly rewards advertisers. Smaller in scope, they are teams of people assisted by algorithms—not the other way around.

Rest - https://www.wsj.com/articles/safe-spaces-are-an-answer-to-the-ever-more-hostile-internet-1512306001

aboutime
12-04-2017, 03:09 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

The only real safe space that exists anywhere today is...From
'here.........to here.'
Unless you are deaf, blind, and unconscious. Which is really, really safe.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

mundame
12-04-2017, 03:13 PM
I just read this article on the Wall Street Journal and posted some three posts to the WSJ comments section!

I was not happy that the writer chose all leftist safe space efforts, or childsafe sites. Seems to me the viciousness we see, the Twitter mobs and so on, are all leftwing. I'd love a safe site ---- for conservatives.

The worst idea was the "filter bubble" that prevents people from piping ideas and sources they like so they have to read leftist propaganda mixed in ---- Cass Sunstein wrote one of his leftwing books promoting that. And Google News does seem to have taken off personalization that allowed me to filter out grossly anti-Trump sites like the Washington Post. So I don't use it any more.

PostmodernProphet
12-05-2017, 09:51 AM
I would like a corner room, please......preferably with a balcony......

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
I probably have a few THOUSAND people blocked on twitter by now. When some leftist ass clown makes a smartass comment, I just report it and block them, period. If you try and respond in kind on twitter the democrat moderation there will let the initial leftist trash talk skate, but as soon as they see you're a conservative, your account gets locked down. So... just block the radical element every time you encounter them. You won't change their minds anyway.

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 12:09 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/22212dc0147d7307678e614be10cf333/raw

"You can run....but you cant hide....I will find you ...haunt YOU snowFlake"!!
http://www.realtimetrump.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/trump-looking-up.jpg

Gunny
12-05-2017, 07:42 PM
You go right ahead and make a "safe space" forum. I ain't enough sh*t to ridicule :laugh: And I won't mess up the cream puff form. Heaven forbid. But I don't see where it says I can't start my own little thread in the cage dedicated to ridiculing the runny noses.

Besides, who on this board would use it? Well, besides you jimnyc? :poke:

I have to wonder what has become of the people in this country. THIS is about free speech, or the lack thereof. I noticed message boards going that way several years ago and it's when I basically quit trying to participate on any of them. Everyone wants a personal sounding board, without consequence for their words. So left wing. They've taken it to a newer level by actually admitting they believe in denying free speech to "certain people". Yeah, anyone disagreeing with them.

What was one of the FIRST things Hitler did? Took over the media where he could and shut down the rest. Only opinion anyone was allowed was his. Next we'll be having a national book burning. The left already controls the PC shit they teach in our public schools now.

Black Diamond
12-05-2017, 08:21 PM
You go right ahead and make a "safe space" forum. I ain't enough sh*t to ridicule :laugh: And I won't mess up the cream puff form. Heaven forbid. But I don't see where it says I can't start my own little thread in the cage dedicated to ridiculing the runny noses.

Besides, who on this board would use it? Well, besides you @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)? :poke:

I have to wonder what has become of the people in this country. THIS is about free speech, or the lack thereof. I noticed message boards going that way several years ago and it's when I basically quit trying to participate on any of them. Everyone wants a personal sounding board, without consequence for their words. So left wing. They've taken it to a newer level by actually admitting they believe in denying free speech to "certain people". Yeah, anyone disagreeing with them.

What was one of the FIRST things Hitler did? Took over the media where he could and shut down the rest. Only opinion anyone was allowed was his. Next we'll be having a national book burning. The left already controls the PC shit they teach in our public schools now.
Not sure we have a lot of time left.

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 08:28 PM
http://ind5.ccio.co/P8/Y/k4/97460779406072297NMnpEm6lc.jpg
http://www.debatepolicy.com/image.php?u=3378&dateline=1508814973:coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuABhumm6fY

jimnyc
12-05-2017, 08:32 PM
Besides, who on this board would use it? Well, besides you jimnyc? :poke:

I'd love nothing more than to beat you down into submission, like an old WWF star!! Then make you limp into the safe space forum, drooling and begging for niceties and friendly people. :)

https://i.imgur.com/PuumxZA.jpg

Black Diamond
12-05-2017, 08:36 PM
TeufelHund

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 08:43 PM
Gunny is right, other boards do have them, forums where everybody has to play NICIE, NICIE... can't hurt anyone's feelings.

jimnyc
12-05-2017, 08:45 PM
Gunny is right, other boards do have them, forums where everybody has to play NICIE, NICIE... can't hurt anyone's feelings.

I saw it at a few of them, that's crazy. I can understand the cage type places, places that folks can take threads/opinions that others don't want to deal with. But "safe" threads/forums? Folks seriously can't even handle the toughness of the internet? Oh boy.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 08:47 PM
I saw it at a few of them, that's crazy. I can understand the cage type places, places that folks can take threads/opinions that others don't want to deal with. But "safe" threads/forums? Folks seriously can't even handle the toughness of the internet? Oh boy.
"Thin skin," or maybe closer to the truth, "likes to dish it out but can't take it."

That's what public schools are churning out nowadays... cry babies.

Black Diamond
12-05-2017, 08:51 PM
"Thin skin," or maybe closer to the truth, "likes to dish it out but can't take it."

That's what public schools are churning out nowadays... cry babies.
And maybe colleges too.

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 08:57 PM

I never heard of such a thing (safe space threads / forums)...but these days anything is possible...

Gunny
12-05-2017, 08:59 PM
I'd love nothing more than to beat you down into submission, like an old WWF star!! Then make you limp into the safe space forum, drooling and begging for niceties and friendly people. :)

https://i.imgur.com/PuumxZA.jpgAs if ... You couldn't even drag that beer gut around fast enough to catch me. While you been busy playing with your lizards and birds n crap I've been running down the sidewalk giving the snails something to laugh at :laugh: for a half hour or more every morning.

You're not the only OCD MFer on the board.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 08:59 PM
And maybe colleges too.
Schools - all encompassing... :wicked99:

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 09:03 PM
As if ... You couldn't even drag that beer gut around fast enough to catch me. While you been busy playing with your lizards and birds n crap I've been running down the sidewalk giving the snails something to laugh at :laugh: for a half hour or more every morning.

You're not the only OCD MFer on the board.

Got me a real nice treadmill, a Sole F80. It's for those long winter days when it's too cold to step outside so I can still get some exercise... haven't been on it since last winter... :laugh:

I better get my ass on 'er though, weighed myself before I showered this morning and was 216... yeah I've been noticing the GUT growing... happens every damn winter.

Gunny
12-05-2017, 09:12 PM

I saw it at a few of them, that's crazy. I can understand the cage type places, places that folks can take threads/opinions that others don't want to deal with. But "safe" threads/forums? Folks seriously can't even handle the toughness of the internet? Oh boy.I'm not an expert on other boards. I quit going on any other than this a few years ago. But I watch(ed) the trend.

Remember when you could come on a message board and have a decent debate with someone and no one ended up mortal enemies over whether or not Miracle Whip was better than Mayonnaise? An intelligent conversation? Then slowly they gave way to name-calling, cut-n-paste idiots who just queued up the saved rhetoric and pasted it in? I swear on USMB I saw the same EXACT arguments pasted more than twice. If that didn't work, ignore you just laying waste to their argument, not respond to you, and go start the same exact same thread over with a didn't title minus the tie and effort anyone spent refuting the original. THAT's when I quit bothering to spend all my time researching links and all that BS for a well-planned, reasoned response only to get "Yo mama" as a response.

Now they have safe places on boards? Why bother logging in? Anyone wants to talk to themselves can buy a mirror cheap at Wal-Mart. I don't read posts from one-sided people.

Then you have boards with roving bands of rhetoric-filled, no original thought necessary morons that find someone they disagree with or just don't like and neg rep them into Hell. I'd just as soon go work out. Rather, I'd RATHER go work out. I just don't go to boards like that.

Just remember, minus their e-balls which seem to grow enormously upon login, these are real people that think this stupid shit and they ARE out there.

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 09:28 PM
https://media.tenor.co/images/22212dc0147d7307678e614be10cf333/raw

"You can run....but you cant hide....I will find you ...haunt YOU snowFlake"!!
http://www.realtimetrump.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/trump-looking-up.jpg

Thank you Jimmy for the install and help..:)

Gunny
12-05-2017, 09:35 PM
Got me a real nice treadmill, a Sole F80. It's for those long winter days when it's too cold to step outside so I can still get some exercise... haven't been on it since last winter... :laugh:

I better get my ass on 'er though, weighed myself before I showered this morning and was 216... yeah I've been noticing the GUT growing... happens every damn winter.:ot cplder where you are. We got "winter" today. Been in the 40s. Supposed to be Highs in the 60s Lows in the 40s average for the foreseeable future.

Daughter has a gazelle. I'll go outside and run if possible. In IL I think I spent a lot of winter on a stationary bike. I don't like treadmills. While it takes away some of the impact of running on the street, it's a bitch to get used to one and then get back on the road. We had them on the Boxer one deployment. I thought at the time they were great. When we got back to Del Mar and had to run on the street again, not so much. I regretted not running on deck before flight hours like I always had in the past.

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 09:38 PM

I better get my ass on 'er though, weighed myself before I showered this morning and was 216... yeah I've been noticing the GUT growing... happens every damn winter.

"Yeah I've been noticing the GUT growing."

Pic..or it didnt happen!!:laugh:

http://www.healthandfitnesstalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/big-belly-of-a-fat-man-isolated-on-white-.jpg

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 10:18 PM
"Yeah I've been noticing the GUT growing."

Pic..or it didnt happen!!:laugh:
Rest assurd pard... I don't look that bad... ;)

I used to be 6' 2", and I used to hit the gym a lot and I was slender, but old age is catching up with me. I've shrunk probably half an inch and packed on some weight. I'm usually around 200 in the summer, and then damn winter comes and I'm not as active as in the summer and I get heavier. Spring comes, I lose the weight again, just like a big ole grizzly bear.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 10:27 PM
:ot cplder where you are. We got "winter" today. Been in the 40s. Supposed to be Highs in the 60s Lows in the 40s average for the foreseeable future.

Daughter has a gazelle. I'll go outside and run if possible. In IL I think I spent a lot of winter on a stationary bike. I don't like treadmills. While it takes away some of the impact of running on the street, it's a bitch to get used to one and then get back on the road. We had them on the Boxer one deployment. I thought at the time they were great. When we got back to Del Mar and had to run on the street again, not so much. I regretted not running on deck before flight hours like I always had in the past.
I try and stay real busy in summer. Not many days go by I'm not into some project around here that's of the physical type and I'm sweating my ass off. It always makes me feel good. The little aches and pains go away and I sleep like a log. This summer I had my 3 bay, 2 story shop renovated with all new plywood sheathing, wrap and vinyl siding. My neighbor is an outstanding carpenter and has his own construction business so I had him do it, and I helped him from start to finish to cut down on the cost. Took almost 2 months to complete that job with all the changes I made, and completely rebuilding a little storage shed built onto the back. And I had another buddy grub out a patch of complete overgrowth of weeds and sucker trees around my Lilac bush with his backhoe that was about 40'x90', and it was a total mess when he was done, but I hand raked the entire thing and leveled it with hand tools, picking out all the weeds and roots and then seeding it. Took forever, and caused more than one huge blister. Those are examples of my days... I'm too tired to go running when I'm done with that kind of stuff... ;)

LongTermGuy
12-05-2017, 10:28 PM
Rest assurd pard... I don't look that bad... ;)

I used to be 6' 2", and I used to hit the gym a lot and I was slender, but old age is catching up with me. I've shrunk probably half an inch and packed on some weight. I'm usually around 200 in the summer, and then damn winter comes and I'm not as active as in the summer and I get heavier. Spring comes, I lose the weight again, just like a big ole grizzly bear.

You know Im just kidding buddy....6` 2` should be around 220?

Im 6`4` at 242 on scale...some say thats over weight...but I dont care...solid no gut...but I ALWAYS...every `friggen day` work on that...it seems the older we / some get the harder we / some have to work...to stay FIT....;)

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 11:43 PM
You know Im just kidding buddy....6` 2` should be around 220?

Im 6`4` at 242 on scale...some say thats over weight...but I dont care...solid no gut...but I ALWAYS...every `friggen day` work on that...it seems the older we / some get the harder we / some have to work...to stay FIT....;)
No probs, brother. Yeah I'm 62, (and a half), and every year now it seems I can feel the youth slipping away. I could still eat steal and shit nails though when I was 40, eat like a horse and never gain a pound, party all night long, work the next day... can't do that anymore. But I don't have to take any drugs on a daily basis, my blood pressure is perfect, I'm still all in one piece, I can put in a good days work still, so I consider myself lucky. I have oxycodone for chronic pain though, I do have some atrophy and neuropathy from service connected nerve damage, but I don't let it get me down. Throw a couple of those oxys back and I'm off to the races anyway. Shit is like pill cocaine to me... :laugh:

LongTermGuy
12-06-2017, 12:40 AM
No probs, brother. Yeah I'm 62, (and a half), and every year now it seems I can feel the youth slipping away. I could still eat steal and shit nails though when I was 40, eat like a horse and never gain a pound, party all night long, work the next day... can't do that anymore. But I don't have to take any drugs on a daily basis, my blood pressure is perfect, I'm still all in one piece, I can put in a good days work still, so I consider myself lucky. I have oxycodone for chronic pain though, I do have some atrophy and neuropathy from service connected nerve damage, but I don't let it get me down. Throw a couple of those oxys back and I'm off to the races anyway. Shit is like pill cocaine to me... :laugh:

Got it...Im not to far behind you...no prescribed drugs for me neither...I have friends that are in Blood pressure medication and other stuff...Not me...I feel blessed ( I dont deserve it I feel sometimes..but I give thanks)...

...Talking about "youth slipping away..."...Your right...Years ago I was spitten Image of Burt Reynolds (when he was younger) Mustash the whole deal...everyone (strangers) used to say "you look Like Burt Reynolds"

*Watch and listen to this clip carefully:

Burt: ~"Machines are going to fail!" ~

(always felt the same way..Hell even looked like the guy at one time ..weird!!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9LVRHigxiE

....but as the years go by...**Now I hear..."Hey...you look like this guy" from better call Saul TV show....Im serious...funny how we all go through the changes of life...But...its a natural thing...Including shaved Bald...:laugh:http://s1.ibtimes.com/sites/www.ibtimes.com/files/2011/06/29/121591-or-jonathan-banks-star-of-amcs-drama-television-series-breaking-bad-po.jpghttp://movietvtechgeeks.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/mike-banks-toughing-it-for-better-call-saul-rico-2015-images-600x422.jpg

CSM
12-06-2017, 07:46 AM
I have my safe space.... razor wire, claymores, clear fields of fire, etc. I stay in shape by running down squirrels and biting their heads off.

mundame
12-06-2017, 09:18 AM
I stay in shape by running down squirrels and biting their heads off.

I bet you don't have to fill your birdfeeder as often as I do..............

Drummond
12-06-2017, 09:39 AM
A 'safe space'. Somewhere ... nice ....

I like it !

Admit it ... you're trying to create a Leftie-free zone .....

Best of luck ... I heartily approve !!! :clap::clap: