PDA

View Full Version : The Democrats’ Dangerous Obsession With Impeachment

jimnyc
12-05-2017, 03:02 PM
Or more so with Maxine Waters. They spend an inordinate amount of time on trying to figure out ways to impeach him. Or continue with this Russia collusion crap. Or to do what they claimed they would do - which is to obstruct him from day one, which is what they have done.

---

The Democrats’ Dangerous Obsession With Impeachment

The party needs to focus on winning elections, not removing Trump.

Amid a stream of revelations, arrests, and plea bargains from Robert Mueller’s investigation of Donald Trump campaign’s connections with Russia, liberals are becoming giddy at the prospect of impeaching the president. “Can Democrats finally start talking about impeachment, Nancy Pelosi?” Errol Louis asked in a column for CNN, referring to the House minority leader. On The View, Joy Behar bubbled with delight when she was handed the news, now revealed to be inaccurate, that former National Security Advisor Michael Flynn was willing to testify that then-candidate Trump had instructed him to make contact with the Russians. (The report was corrected to say that Trump had done so as president-elect.) Some Trump opponents are already looking upon impeachment as a done deal. “He’s going to be impeached, I believe,” Crispin Sartwell wrote at Splice. “I’ve thought so since the election. Michael Flynn is singing. Jared Kushner is likely to be charged in the coming weeks.”

The impeachment frenzy has gone so far that even the normally sober Ezra Klein, Vox’s founder, argued last week that impeachment be normalized as a regular procedure in American democracy. He implicitly acknowledged that we haven’t yet reached the stage where Trump’s impeachability is beyond reasonable dispute (as it was, for example, with Richard Nixon in 1974), but wanted to redefine the rules for impeachment so they apply to Trump, a president who has demonstrated that he is manifestly unfit for office. “Impeachment is not a power we should take lightly,” Klein wrote. “Nor is it one we should treat as too explosive to use. There will be presidents who are neither criminals nor mental incompetents but who are wrong for the role, who pose a danger to the country and the world.... Being extremely bad at the job of president of the United States should be enough to get you fired.”

While it is true that Trump is “extremely bad at the job of president,” using that as grounds for removing him from office would be revolutionary, moving the criteria from the constitutional requirement of “high crimes and misdemeanors,” which is already vague, to the utterly nebulous and subjective “extremely bad.” Klein recognized that normalizing impeachment would turn it into a political weapon, but didn’t wrestle with the fact that this normalization already happened—with the spurious impeachment of Bill Clinton in 1999. That precedent suggests the dangers of further normalization: It will worsen the extreme partisanship and gridlock that is making American ungovernable.

The impeachment enthusiasts should pull back. For both practical and political reasons, this is the wrong remedy for the Trump presidency, even if we stipulate that he has been “extremely bad” and has committed “high crimes and misdemeanors.”

The practical problem is that for impeachment to be meaningful, Trump would not just have to be impeached by the House of Representatives (which requires a simple majority) but also removed by the Senate (requiring a two-thirds vote). It’s easy to imagine a scenario where the Democrats win the House of Representatives in 2018 and have the necessary votes for impeachment. But even in that best-case scenario, in which Democrats win every toss-up race for the Senate, they would still be well short of the votes they need in the Senate. Which means that kicking Trump out of the White House by necessity has to be a bipartisan effort with significant Republican buy-in.

Rest - https://newrepublic.com/article/146098/democrats-dangerous-obsession-impeachment

mundame
12-05-2017, 11:47 PM
I'm terribly worried about all this. Win an election, immediately be investigated by the FBI and be impeached, along with your whole crew and all your relatives. I read three (3) books about the 1860 election last summer, when there were several candidates running for president, but regionally, and Lincoln wasn't even on the ballot in most of the South. South Carolina seceded the day after the election and six states followed before Lincoln was inaugurated.

This is a different pattern of rebellion, not regionally based but fine-grained population-based like the Spanish Civil War in 1936--1939. But that works too for civil war. It hasn't started yet. But I'm worried.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-05-2017, 11:52 PM
I'm terribly worried about all this. Win an election, immediately be investigated by the FBI and be impeached, along with your whole crew and all your relatives. I read three (3) books about the 1860 election last summer, when there were several candidates running for president, but regionally, and Lincoln wasn't even on the ballot in most of the South. South Carolina seceded the day after the election and six states followed before Lincoln was inaugurated.

This is a different pattern of rebellion, not regionally based but fine-grained population-based like the Spanish Civil War in 1936--1939. But that works too for civil war. It hasn't started yet. But I'm worried.
I agree. I think the amount of animosity for each other between the radical left and conservatives has ALMOST reached a boiling point, and I think that if they did try something stupid like impeach president Trump, that just might be enough for people to say... THAT'S IT... WE'RE DONE WITH THIS GAME, and commence another revolution or civil war.

Personally, I think the radical left is ALREADY at war. They only thing left is the shooting. Well... one of them tried that already too at a republican baseball game.

mundame
12-06-2017, 12:13 AM
Personally, I think the radical left is ALREADY at war. They only thing left is the shooting. Well... one of them tried that already too at a republican baseball game.

They would like to be at war. In the run-up to the Civil War quite prominent New Englanders including even Ralph Waldo Emerson FUNDED John Brown. He did fund-raising there with explicit appeals for support for a black slave uprising. After Harper's Ferry (which no blacks joined, the whole thing was a clusterf* and no one was stupid enough to rise up and join Brown's little group) the New England money men were in a lot of trouble and were investigated, but that was only one year before the election, so things were going downhill fast. Reminds me of the Soros and Hollywood and Silicon Valley funders of what is going on now.

John Brown's raid or the guy who shot up the Republican baseball practice is not civil war. That's just terrorism. I think you've really got to have a major change of sovereignty AND thousands dead, war shooting, before it can be called a civil war. (Government change without much shooting is just a putsch, as in Venezuela with Chavez.) The French Revolution, the American Revolution, the Spanish Civil War were all the real deal. It can happen with secession or with government takeover by a different group, such as Franco's military move in Spain, or the National Assembly taking over power from the King in France, 1789. I can think of a lot of examples: Russia 1917 is another. Both at once are possible: secession of, say, California and/or Texas plus a military takeover of Washington, say, in the subsequent confusion.

I don't know what is going to happen, but if anything like the above happens, I do think it will be incredibly fast. It always is. Inside of a week, everything turns over. Like when the Soviet Union fell in 1991, days. Or when the Berlin Wall fell in 1989, days. The huge Muslim invasion of Europe that started so suddenly in 2015. I guess big things happen so fast because if they weren't fast, they'd be blocked and not happen at all. It's momentum, and it crashes through. If it happens, we will know.