PDA

View Full Version : Eisley

dan
08-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Saturday night, I saw a band called Eisley (named after Mos Eisley from Star Wars) in Atlanta. The music is hard to describe, they have their own sound, it's kind of indie pop, but more musically complex than the average pop band. Anyway, if you're really interested, you can listen to their entire new album on their myspace. (www.myspace.com/eisley)

The show was really good, it was a very intimate setting, I'd say probably no more than 300 people were there at the most. Also, it was an acoustic show, so the entire evening was very hushed and chilled-out. Between songs, audience members were casually chatting with the band, that's how small the place was. This is my favorite type of venue to see a band in, I feel much more of a connection to the performer in a small place like that than at a big arena.

Anyway, Eisley was really good, their vocal harmonies are amazing, so flawless that by the end of the show, I had forgotten just how complex their harmonies are. They had one flub at the very end of one of their songs, which they admitted beforehand would probably happen. Their opening act, Wesley Jensen, was really good, acoustic singer/songwriter stuff, but very pretty, and he was a really nice guy to boot. Here's hoping he hits it big so I can put my signed CD on EBay! just kidding

If there was any problem at all with the show, it was one that I had already anticipated. See, the band is made up of mostly girls, sisters, and they were all very young when the group started (the youngest member was 14 when they put out their first album), and as such, the crowd was about 80% young girls. I suppose most were between the ages of 17 and 20ish. But, it was cool, they weren't like screaming fangirls or anything, they were mostly "emo girls", actually, if that means anything to anyone.

But, it's cool, they were friendly. We were sitting next to a couple parents who brought their daughter to the show (to Atlanta from Maryland! Very cool parents). I guess all the old people at the show stuck together! Anyway, they were really nice, and we went up to the merchandise table together and their daughter really went nuts over the fact that I was a guy who liked Eisley. She had a little fangirl moment when she bought a shirt ("They're gonna sign this later!"), then got all embarassed in front of me. It was funny.

Here's some pictures, but they're not mine. My friend took a few pics, but hasn't uploaded them yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/Admiral79/P1010012-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Libalip/Eisley/SANY0806.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Libalip/Eisley/SANY0826.jpg

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 01:40 PM
How did you find out about them? Myspace? It sounds like a fun show. I'll check out their music.

dan
08-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Well, I'd heard about them a little through the internet, this was actually pre-Myspace, if you can believe that!

My parents have an OnDemand channel that just shows music videos, and there was an Eisley video on there. That was my first exposure to their actual music, and I liked it, a lot, plus the video was really cool, so I acquired the album, not gonna say how, and, yeah, I've been a fan ever since. And, I'll be buying their new album today after work!

Guernicaa
08-31-2007, 11:15 PM
I've heard their music before, downloaded some of it

They're good. I wanna seem them if they ever come near where I live.

Said1
09-01-2007, 01:03 PM
Never heard of them. One all girl group I like is Tegan and Sarah. despite their age, I think they have some potential. :laugh2:

http://www.teganandsara.com/

dan
09-04-2007, 04:39 AM
My friend just gave me a Tegan and Sara CD on Sunday. I perused it a little, it's pretty good. I don't know, I feel like if I have too many CDs by teenage girls, I might be sending the world the wrong message.:laugh2:

Said1
09-04-2007, 05:29 PM
My friend just gave me a Tegan and Sara CD on Sunday. I perused it a little, it's pretty good. I don't know, I feel like if I have too many CDs by teenage girls, I might be sending the world the wrong message.:laugh2:

That reminds me of the song 'I'm and adult now'. By some cheesy Canadian 80's band 'The Pursuit of Happiness'...........Well, I don't hate my parents
I don't get drunk just to spite them
I've got my own reasons to drink now
Think I'll call my dad up and invite him :laugh2:

nevadamedic
09-04-2007, 06:13 PM

I dunno, you did ask LN to take pictures of teenage girls in her schools locker room! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

dan
09-04-2007, 10:27 PM
That reminds me of the song 'I'm and adult now'. By some cheesy Canadian 80's band 'The Pursuit of Happiness'...........Well, I don't hate my parents
I don't get drunk just to spite them
I've got my own reasons to drink now
Think I'll call my dad up and invite him :laugh2:

Since you're my primary go-to for Canadian culture, what's with this Helix band that Ricky's always talking about on Trailer Park Boys? I thought it might be a local band, since the show's in Helix, Nova Scotia (I think?), but I figured I'd ask.

Guernicaa
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
I like the Tegan and Sara song "Walking with a ghost"...But only The White Stripes version. :laugh2:

Said1
09-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Since you're my primary go-to for Canadian culture, what's with this Helix band that Ricky's always talking about on Trailer Park Boys? I thought it might be a local band, since the show's in Helix, Nova Scotia (I think?), but I figured I'd ask.

Helix, Nova Scotia? It's HALIFAX. :lol:

Helix is another 80's heavy metal band, somewhat Twisted Sisterish sounding, a few good tunes. I believe they originated in Toronto or something. I wasn't a big fan.

April Wine came together in Halifax, although they are known for being "Montreal's" band. :le-rolls-le-eyes:

I'm not sure, but I thought TPBs was supposed to be set in Moncton, New Brunswick, but again, I'm not 100% sure.

Did you see Sebastian Bach from Skid Row on TPBs? He's Canadian too.

dan
09-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Halifax! Oops!

I did see Sebastian Bach, but I honestly thought he was just a fan, he doesn't come across as very Canadian to me.

Said1
09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Halifax! Oops!

I did see Sebastian Bach, but I honestly thought he was just a fan, he doesn't come across as very Canadian to me.

I think he grew up in Toronto, born somewhere warm....an island? I really wasn't into 80's glame rock at all, I know virtually nothing about most of them.

nevadamedic
09-05-2007, 07:25 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-CQbArqwhs"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y-CQbArqwhs" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>