PDA

View Full Version : Best US President?

Black Lance
08-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Who, in your opinion, is/was the best ever President of the United States?

glockmail
08-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Who, in your opinion, is/was the best ever President of the United States? The first one. Old what's-his name. The old white guy on the dollar.

And in my lifetime: R. W. Reagan.
:salute:

hjmick
08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
Truman.

5stringJeff
08-13-2007, 01:49 PM
Either Washington or Jefferson.

nevadamedic
08-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Ronald Reagan

Nukeman
08-13-2007, 07:39 PM
Theodore Roosevelt

Here is a president that could be liked by both conservatives and liberals.

He did so much in his life. If we had a president to day with half the balls of "Teddy Roosevelt" the rest of the world would not take us lightly....

Of course this is just my opinion, as for a president in my life time I would have to say hands down Ronny baby!!!!!

Psychoblues
10-09-2007, 03:05 AM
Bill Clinton. He brought about welfare reform, international economic reform, created the first federal surplus in decades, sucessfully defended against attacks on America by terrorists to the chagrin of his Republican interlopers, made education possible for millions, improved American healthcare provisions and expectations and made Ken Starr look like a total ass in the rightwing prosecution of the Whitewater affair. In addition, he is still considered both a truthteller and a genuine friend worldwide as opposed to the reputation of the current CIC.

Sitarro
10-09-2007, 04:25 AM
Bill Clinton. He brought about welfare reform, international economic reform, created the first federal surplus in decades, sucessfully defended against attacks on America by terrorists to the chagrin of his Republican interlopers, made education possible for millions, improved American healthcare provisions and expectations and made Ken Starr look like a total ass in the rightwing prosecution of the Whitewater affair. In addition, he is still considered both a truthteller and a genuine friend worldwide as opposed to the reputation of the current CIC.

Not a single truth in this pathetic post.

red states rule
10-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Not a single truth in this pathetic post.

Now I have to defend Psycho here. Bill Clinton accomplishede alot in his eight years

Bill did set alot of records as President.

- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
- Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
- Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
- Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
- Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
- First president sued for sexual harassment.
- First president accused of rape.
- First first lady to come under criminal investigation
- Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
- First president to establish a legal defense fund.
- First president to be held in contempt of court
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
- Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
- First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court

http://prorev.com/legacy.htm

LuvRPgrl
10-10-2007, 12:10 AM
You're a liar. You dont even believe it yourself.

Hands down its George. No one is even close. The reasons are so many, least of which is he is the ONLY president to turn down the office knowing full well he was a shoe in. His integrity didnt allow him to be president again because he believed no one person should be leading the country for that long.

manu1959
10-10-2007, 12:12 AM

:laugh2:

no wait........ :laugh2::laugh2:

ok ok ok ...........................:laugh2::laugh2:

Guernicaa
10-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I'd have to say FDR:
-Rescued us from the depression
-New Deal programs saved us from a communist revolution (I've taken IB US History and yes, modern historians agree that the conditions of the depression could have very easily sparked a communist revolution)
-Fucked up Japan...helped Europe fuck up Hitler.
-Was a great communicator (fireside chats, amazing speeches) i.e. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

April15
10-10-2007, 07:11 PM
FDR or Teddy. I can't decide.
For Red states ;
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/shields...98/sg_8-21.html
Wall Street Journal columnist Paul Gigot and syndicated columnist Mark Shields analyze a week that included President Clinton's nationally-televised admission that he had a sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky and a missile strike against terrorist bases in Afghanistan and Sudan.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200603200012
In fact, during Clinton's tenure, a number of Republicans criticized Clinton's retaliatory military attacks on Osama bin Laden's purported Afghanistan compound and reported sites of weapons of mass destruction in Iraq by repeatedly accusing the Democratic president of "Wag the Dog" tactics -- using military action to divert attention away from the Monica Lewinsky controversy.

http://www.mideastnews.com/press98summer.htm
Cruise Missle Diplomacy (this one is a stunner as the Republican diversion accusations against Clinton are used against the U.S. by the Arab World.)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp...y/20050603.html
When Clinton announced to the American public that bin Laden was a serious threat to the U.S. and he intended to strike back, the Republicans and many in the media accused him of diverting attention away from the Lewinsky scandal with a desperate Wag the Dog tactic.

http://www.news.cornell.edu/Chronic.../symposium.html
Accusations that the Lewinsky trial was purposely being done to distract from real life situations that needed tending.

http://www.clintonmemoriallibrary.com/clintoncrime.htm
The president's surrogates and supporters are expert in diverting attention from whatever current scandal President Clinton is embroiled in.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS....lkl/index.html
"The Clinton administration failed to bomb the [al Qaeda] camps that were in Afghanistan, that we knew were there," Clarke said. "Clinton bombed them once. The public reaction was negative to that. ... Everyone said Clinton's just bombing Afghanistan to divert attention from the Monica [Lewinsky] business, and so he didn't bomb them again.

"That was during a time when they were turning out thousands of trained terrorists. It was an assembly line."

So it turns out the repubs kept Clinton from doing anything!

Psychoblues
10-10-2007, 11:46 PM
I maintain Bill Clinton did more than any other President with a hostile congress and would easily be re-elected today if the law permitted it.

That's OK with me. Salute your next President now or on January 20, 2009, Hillary Rodham Clinton!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill is her closest advisor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you cats really kill me with your humor. Have you ever considered going to Las Vegas to advance your comedy careers?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 07:42 AM
I maintain Bill Clinton did more than any other President with a hostile congress and would easily be re-elected today if the law permitted it.

That's OK with me. Salute your next President now or on January 20, 2009, Hillary Rodham Clinton!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bill is her closest advisor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some of you cats really kill me with your humor. Have you ever considered going to Las Vegas to advance your comedy careers?

Hey, I am listing the accomlishments of Bills eight years. Do we want more with a Hillary administration?

- Number of individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine who have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes: 47
- Number of these convictions during Clinton's presidency: 33
- Number of indictments/misdemeanor charges: 61
- Number of congressional witnesses who have pleaded the Fifth Amendment, fled the country to avoid testifying, or (in the case of foreign witnesses) refused to be interviewed: 122

retiredman
10-11-2007, 07:45 AM
Hey, I am listing the accomlishments of Bills eight years. Do we want more with a Hillary administration?

- Number of individuals and businesses associated with the Clinton machine who have been convicted of or pleaded guilty to crimes: 47
- Number of these convictions during Clinton's presidency: 33
- Number of indictments/misdemeanor charges: 61
- Number of congressional witnesses who have pleaded the Fifth Amendment, fled the country to avoid testifying, or (in the case of foreign witnesses) refused to be interviewed: 122

can you post the same figures for those categories having to do with the Reagan administration, while you're at it?:laugh2:

red states rule
10-11-2007, 07:48 AM
can you post the same figures for those categories having to do with the Reagan administration, while you're at it?:laugh2:

FROM THE WASHINGTON TIMES: In the portions of President Clinton's Jan. 17 deposition that have been made public in the Paula Jones case, his memory failed him 267 times. This is a list of his answers and how many times he gave each one.

I don't remember - 71
I don't know - 62
I'm not sure - 17
I have no idea - 10
I don't believe so - 9
I don't recall - 8
I don't think so - 8
I don't have any specific recollection - 6
I have no recollection - 4
Not to my knowledge - 4
I just don't remember - 4
I don't believe - 4
I have no specific recollection - 3
I might have - 3
I don't have any recollection of that - 2 I don't have a specific memory - 2
I don't have any memory of that - 2
I just can't say - 2
I have no direct knowledge of that - 2
I don't have any idea - 2
Not that I recall - 2
I don't believe I did - 2
I can't remember - 2
I can't say - 2
I do not remember doing so - 2
Not that I remember - 2
I'm not aware - 1
I honestly don't know - 1
I don't believe that I did - 1
I'm fairly sure - 1
I have no other recollection - 1
I'm not positive - 1
I certainly don't think so - 1
I don't really remember - 1
I would have no way of remembering that - 1
That's what I believe happened - 1
To my knowledge, no - 1
To the best of my knowledge - 1
To the best of my memory - 1
I honestly don't recall - 1
I honestly don't remember - 1
That's all I know - 1
I don't have an independent recollection of that - 1
I don't actually have an independent memory of that - 1
As far as I know - 1
I don't believe I ever did that - 1
That's all I know about that - 1
I'm just not sure - 1
Nothing that I remember - 1
I simply don't know - 1
I would have no idea - 1
I don't know anything about that - 1
I don't have any direct knowledge of that - 1
I just don't know - 1
I really don't know - 1
I can't deny that, I just -- I have no memory of that at all - 1

retiredman
10-11-2007, 07:59 AM
still waiting for the numbers from the Reagan administration..... and while you're at it...get Nixon's too! :lol:

red states rule
10-11-2007, 08:03 AM
still waiting for the numbers from the Reagan administration..... and while you're at it...get Nixon's too! :lol:

DOMESTIC DELIVERANCE
Domestically, Reagan's most enduring success was in tax policy. When he took office, the top federal tax rate was an abusive 70 percent — a rate sure to discourage entrepreneurship by unfairly confiscating well over half the earnings of creative risk-takers. Reagan left office having lowered the top rate to 28 percent. Although it crept back up to nearly 40 percent under the George H.W. Bush and Clinton administrations, America's entrepreneurs today know that the government will take no more than half the fruits of their labor.

By making sure that the top 10 percent of income earners received a fair share of the tax relief, Reagan guaranteed that the people most likely to create jobs, invent new products, and promote economic growth could look forward to enjoying the fruits of their labor rather than being discouraged by the prospect of envy-based confiscation. One of the longest economic booms in American history resulted.

In this regard, Ronald Reagan was a worthy successor to John F. Kennedy, who lowered the top rate from 90 percent to 70 percent. Moreover, the Reagan and Kennedy tax cuts made the tax system fairer by removing punitive levels of taxation based on malicious envy.

Reagan's economic vision and the success of his policies moved the entire American political and economic paradigm many large steps in the free-market direction. The Democratic party, post-Reagan, celebrates free markets; and modern Democrats are, as the Green party rightly points out, very different from the 1970s party that pushed the Humphrey-Hawkins bill through Congress, promising that government would be an employer of last resort.

Domestically, Reagan significantly reduced the size of the federal government in his first term. Unfortunately, though, he tended to cut programs rather than eliminate them, and today most of the programs he cut in his 1981 budget are larger and more intrusive than ever before. Reagan was much more timid than his hero Jefferson in terminating federal programs.

Like Jefferson, Reagan did not succeed in erecting new safeguards to constrain future government growth. Because Reagan's tax cuts did unleash tremendous economic growth, Reagan did not in the long run reduce net federal revenues available for spending. Indeed, his pro-growth economic policies raised revenues, making more money available for the appropriators and regulators.

Welfare reform under Reagan was confined to small, tepid steps, and the promise to abolish the Department of Education was abandoned for lack of Congressional support. As a result, federal interference with education today is worse than ever.

Even so, in tens of thousands of different ways, the men and women Reagan brought into federal service made the federal government less burdensome to the American people. Government control of political speech in the media in the form of the "fairness doctrine" was abolished, allowing AM radio stations to begin employing hosts who specialized in political commentary.

http://www.nationalreview.com/kopel/kopel200406081003.asp

retiredman
10-11-2007, 08:08 AM
missing all those reagan administration indictments... don't you have a cut and paste that is on topic?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 08:11 AM
missing all those reagan administration indictments... don't you have a cut and paste that is on topic?

That is all the moonbat left have to say about Ronald Reagan

They are still pissed how he danced rings around the Dems and cleaned up the mess pres Peanut left behind

And how he brought down the Soviet Union without firign a shot

retiredman
10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Hey .... Ronnie did some great stuff. Clinton did some great stuff too, and when someone on this thread mentioned that, you immediately dragged out your numbers of indictments cut and paste.... I asked you to give equal time to all of the reagan administration legal troubles as well.... why aren't you willing to do that? would it be because you are nothing but a political hack?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 08:18 AM
Hey .... Ronnie did some great stuff. Clinton did some great stuff too, and when someone on this thread mentioned that, you immediately dragged out your numbers of indictments cut and paste.... I asked you to give equal time to all of the reagan administration legal troubles as well.... why aren't you willing to do that? would it be because you are nothing but a political hack?

I was defending Bill. I posted his accomplishements and RECORDS that his adminstration set. I was also saying what we can expect from Hillary - since she was Co President

retiredman
10-11-2007, 08:20 AM
I just ask you to post the same statistics about Reagan achievements in the area of staff indictments and convictions.

red states rule
10-11-2007, 08:24 AM
I just ask you to post the same statistics about Reagan achievements in the area of staff indictments and convictions.

I posted the accomplishments of both Clinton and Pres Reagan.

retiredman
10-11-2007, 08:34 AM
you seemed to have missed these:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2005/10/17/194133/16

http://www.bartcop.com/convictions.htm

April15
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
That is all the moonbat left have to say about Ronald Reagan

They are still pissed how he danced rings around the Dems and cleaned up the mess pres Peanut left behind

And how he brought down the Soviet Union without firign a shot
Delusional at best. You have been informed several times by people on this board how RR did nothing but be credited with things beyond his ability. To discuss with you about real world going on is futile.

red states rule
10-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Delusional at best. You have been informed several times by people on this board how RR did nothing but be credited with things beyond his ability. To discuss with you about real world going on is futile.

When Pres Reagan took over form Pres Peanut, the Us suffered with double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, and near double digit unemployment

The top tax rate was 70%

Pres Reagan cut taxes and unleashed the US economy. Revenues to the Federal government DOUBLED to over $1 trillion in eight years

People thanked Pres Reagan with a 49 state re-electionwin in 1984

retiredman
10-11-2007, 02:30 PM
If I had a checkbook with an unlimited credit line and I never had to pay anything but the interest payments, I could make a lot of people happy. Reagan did just that. Look at what happened to the deficit under his "stewardship".

red states rule
10-11-2007, 02:34 PM
If I had a checkbook with an unlimited credit line and I never had to pay anything but the interest payments, I could make a lot of people happy. Reagan did just that. Look at what happened to the deficit under his "stewardship".

Yes, a prime rate of 21% under Pres Peanut, gas prices doubled overnight, Amercians held hostage for 444 days, Japan taking over the auto industry, and stagflation

and libs say how rotten the Bush economy is

Reagan turned it all around - even NY and CA voted for him in 04 :lol:

Abbey Marie
10-11-2007, 03:04 PM
You're a liar. You dont even believe it yourself.

Hands down its George. No one is even close. The reasons are so many, least of which is he is the ONLY president to turn down the office knowing full well he was a shoe in. His integrity didnt allow him to be president again because he believed no one person should be leading the country for that long.

Have to agree with you, Luv. The more I learn about Washington, the more impressed I am. It's a shame that we as a country do not even have a holiday dedicated specifically to him anymore.

retiredman
10-11-2007, 05:01 PM
Yes, a prime rate of 21% under Pres Peanut, gas prices doubled overnight, Amercians held hostage for 444 days, Japan taking over the auto industry, and stagflation

and libs say how rotten the Bush economy is

Reagan turned it all around - even NY and CA voted for him in 04 :lol:

you ignored my point and, instead, just spewed canned talking points! what a surprise! :laugh2:

red states rule
10-11-2007, 05:36 PM
you ignored my point and, instead, just spewed canned talking points! what a surprise! :laugh2:

Not canned talking points - facts

Peanut Carter was a miserable President and was soundly fired by the voters in 1980

April15
10-11-2007, 05:41 PM
When Pres Reagan took over form Pres Peanut, the Us suffered with double digit inflation, double digit interest rates, and near double digit unemployment

The top tax rate was 70%

Pres Reagan cut taxes and unleashed the US economy. Revenues to the Federal government DOUBLED to over $1 trillion in eight years

People thanked Pres Reagan with a 49 state re-electionwin in 1984
:fu:

red states rule
10-11-2007, 05:43 PM
:fu:

What's wrong April - hate to see how a liberal President and a liberal Congress fucked up the nation, and it took a popular Conservative President to repair the damage

Trigg
10-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Remember that worst president thread? You know the one where are the libs were yelling BUSH BUSH BUSH???????????

Well here we are the "sheep" in the republican part and No one has said Bush is the greatest. Yet the libs are yelling Clinton. Do none of them read history?????????? They can't think of a single other president of either party to vote for????

Who are the sheep again???

red states rule
10-11-2007, 06:02 PM
Remember that worst president thread? You know the one where are the libs were yelling BUSH BUSH BUSH???????????

Well here we are the "sheep" in the republican part and No one has said Bush is the greatest. Yet the libs are yelling Clinton. Do none of them read history?????????? They can't think of a single other president of either party to vote for????

Who are the sheep again???

I lived through the four years of Pres Peanut. Mortgage rates in the double digit were common and a prime rate of 21%

It was so bad the Misery Index was invented

Reonal Reagan repaired the damage and put America back on her feet again

retiredman
10-11-2007, 07:34 PM
Not canned talking points - facts

Peanut Carter was a miserable President and was soundly fired by the voters in 1980

but "facts" that did not address the post of mine that you quoted. That is the issue. You really are like the guy on the right:

http://www.workingassetsblog.com/2007/10/the_neocon_gameshow.html

my post had to do with Reagan's deficit spending. Your reply had nothing to do with the deficit, but instead was talking about hostages and the prime rate. Canned talking points from someone unable to actually carry on a back and forth debate of any kind. Photosynthesis!!!!

red states rule
10-11-2007, 07:37 PM
but "facts" that did not address the post of mine that you quoted. That is the issue. You really are like the guy on the right:

http://www.workingassetsblog.com/2007/10/the_neocon_gameshow.html

my post had to do with Reagan's deficit spending. Your reply had nothing to do with the deficit, but instead was talking about hostages and the prime rate. Canned talking points from someone unable to actually carry on a back and forth debate of any kind. Photosynthesis!!!!

Congress did the spending - not the President

Libs do hate to be reminded about how a liberal President and liberal Congress screwed America during the Peanut years

Reagan must not have been so bad - 49 state reelection win. Libs were soooooo depressed that night

retiredman
10-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Congress did the spending - not the President

Libs do hate to be reminded about how a liberal President and liberal Congress screwed America during the Peanut years

Reagan must not have been so bad - 49 state reelection win. Libs were soooooo depressed that night

have you ever examined the budgets that Raygun submitted to congress?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 07:46 PM
have you ever examined the budgets that Raygun submitted to congress?

But Pres Reagan did not spend one cent of taxpayer money. He did push the policies that saved us from the disaster known as Pres Peanut

LuvRPgrl
10-11-2007, 07:50 PM
Have to agree with you, Luv. The more I learn about Washington, the more impressed I am. It's a shame that we as a country do not even have a holiday dedicated specifically to him anymore.

Thanks for that.
EVERYTIME I read more about him, I am astonished.
One of the difficulties in naming a great presidental list, is if there are not tumultuous times, its hard to be great.
But during the revolution, many men had the chance to be great, (and women too!), but he certainly stood out.

What a lot of people also dont realize is that Thomas Paine was either the MOST instrumental, or second to Washington in the creation of our nation.

To truly understand the US history during that time, you have to do a LOT of reading into very detailed stuff.
cya :)

retiredman
10-11-2007, 07:53 PM
But Pres Reagan did not spend one cent of taxpayer money. He did push the policies that saved us from the disaster known as Pres Peanut

are you pathologically incapable of answering questions?

red states rule
10-11-2007, 08:54 PM
are you pathologically incapable of answering questions?

No

But you are pathologically incapable of remembering history

retiredman
10-11-2007, 09:37 PM
No

But you are pathologically incapable of remembering history

oh bullshit. I asked you a question about the deficit. answer the goddamn question or shut the fuck up, but PUHLEESE quit blathering you inane one liner talking points.

red states rule
10-11-2007, 09:56 PM
oh bullshit. I asked you a question about the deficit. answer the goddamn question or shut the fuck up, but PUHLEESE quit blathering you inane one liner talking points.

to you historical facts are now talking points

retiredman
10-11-2007, 09:59 PM
to you historical facts are now talking points

no...they are not answers to the question. do you have any historical facts about the size of Reagan's budget submissions?

mrg666
10-11-2007, 10:30 PM
statics have to go out the window
who in your mind was best ?

manu1959
10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
statics have to go out the window
who in your mind was best ?

i say lincoln...or there would be no US as we know it.....

who was the best PM?

JimmyAteWorld
10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Wow, it actually got back on topic.

I say Washington. One of the most critical times in any nations history is when it all begins. I don't know if there was anyone that could have been our first president and have the country survive.

Hagbard Celine
10-24-2007, 02:17 PM
Wow, it actually got back on topic.

I say Washington. One of the most critical times in any nations history is when it all begins. I don't know if there was anyone that could have been our first president and have the country survive.

He was also man enough not to accept the kingship that was offered to him for the betterment of the nation. I wouldn't be able to turn down a kingship.

glockmail
10-24-2007, 03:10 PM
He was also man enough not to accept the kingship that was offered to him for the betterment of the nation. I wouldn't be able to turn down a kingship. The story I heard was that they offered him 12 beautiful slave virgins dressed in french maid outfits to go along with the job. He was frothing at the whole idea until Martha found out about it, stepped in and quashed the whole concept. We owe it to her for coming up with the present form of presidential office with limited powers.

manu1959
10-24-2007, 03:21 PM

so reagan being a cheat justifys clinton being a cheat......or are you saying clinton is no better than reagan.....

glockmail
10-24-2007, 03:37 PM
so reagan being a cheat justifys clinton being a cheat......or are you saying clinton is no better than reagan..... The difference of course is that Reagan cheated for the benefit of others, who he did not know persoannly, while Clinton cheated to get his rocks off.

manu1959
10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
The difference of course is that Reagan cheated for the benefit of others, who he did not know persoannly, while Clinton cheated to get his rocks off.

cheating is a sin.......

wonder who would win an election reagan vs clinton.....

glockmail
10-24-2007, 04:19 PM
cheating is a sin.......

wonder who would win an election reagan vs clinton..... Clinton never won more than 43 (or was it 47) % of the popular vote. Reagan won by wide margins.

manu1959
10-24-2007, 04:26 PM
Clinton never won more than 43 (or was it 47) % of the popular vote. Reagan won by wide margins.

reagan didn't run against clinton......i mean in the context of what we know about them both now.....

both presided over great economic expansion and both had scandals.....

bullypulpit
10-24-2007, 05:15 PM
I'd have to say FDR:
-Rescued us from the depression
-New Deal programs saved us from a communist revolution (I've taken IB US History and yes, modern historians agree that the conditions of the depression could have very easily sparked a communist revolution)
-Fucked up Japan...helped Europe fuck up Hitler.
-Was a great communicator (fireside chats, amazing speeches) i.e. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself"

Or, just as easily, a fascist revolution. There were many admirers of Adolph Hitler in the US at that time. Charles Lindbergh...Henry Ford...Prescott Bush...

glockmail
10-24-2007, 05:23 PM
reagan didn't run against clinton......i mean in the context of what we know about them both now.....

both presided over great economic expansion and both had scandals..... Reagan inherited Carter's economic disaster, cut taxes, bolstered the military, brought this country out of a recession and started the longest period of prosperity in its history. Clinton was smart enough not to mess with a good thing, kept Reagan's Greenspan and most of his economic policies, and basically rode the Reagan wave of propsperity for all it was worth. Clinton'r big mistake was being soft on terrorism which is what Bush 43 inhereted.

bullypulpit
10-24-2007, 07:59 PM
Reagan inherited Carter's economic disaster, cut taxes, bolstered the military, brought this country out of a recession and started the longest period of prosperity in its history. Clinton was smart enough not to mess with a good thing, kept Reagan's Greenspan and most of his economic policies, and basically rode the Reagan wave of propsperity for all it was worth. Clinton'r big mistake was being soft on terrorism which is what Bush 43 inhereted.

Ah...Yes...Blame Clinton for everything. You intellectual bankruptcy is showing.

bullypulpit
10-24-2007, 08:00 PM
He was also man enough not to accept the kingship that was offered to him for the betterment of the nation. I wouldn't be able to turn down a kingship.

And, apparently, neither can the Bush administration. Unlimited, unchecked authority in the office of President. Sounds rather "kingy" to me.

glockmail
10-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Ah...Yes...Blame Clinton for everything. You intellectual bankruptcy is showing. Not just Clinton. You forgot about your butt bud Carter.

Since 9/11, U.S. terrorism experts have said that the Clinton administration's legalistic approach to fighting al-Qaeda not only proved ineffective - it actually emboldened bin Laden to the point where he thought he could launch an attack on U.S. soil without prompting a serious military response.

Indeed, in a 2002 speech to New York business leaders, Mr. Clinton himself cited legal concerns as an excuse for his decision not to have bin Laden arrested five years before the 9/11 attacks.

"At the time, 1996, he had committed no crime against America," said Clinton. "So I did not bring him here because we had no basis on which to hold him, though we knew he wanted to commit crimes against America." (http://archive.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/2/1/02522.shtml)

The administration of President Jimmy Carter in 1977 created a strain on relations between Iran and the United States. Carter, unlike previous American presidents, was outspoken about his criticism of the Shah's government and its human rights record. Carter pressured the Shah to relax freedom of speech and to allow more freedom for political dissidents.[7]

Many politicians and political figures in the United States such as Henry Kissinger and David Rockefeller vigorously opposed Carter's condemnations of the Imperial Iranian government, citing the importance of not weakening the Shah's position in both Iran and the region. As is well-known, American administrations previous to Carter had always pressured the Shah to remain steadfastly anti-communist and to aggressively prosecute Communists and Islamists who were increasingly moving closer together into an anti-Imperial alliance.

The Carter administration blocked exports of tear gas and rubber bullets to Iran, and was also implicated by some commentators in a scandal involving Jimmy Carter demanding financial favors from the Shah. Some also attributed these actions against the Shah to Carter's attempts to warm up to the Soviet Union. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States-Iran_relations#1977-1979:_Carter_administration)

bullypulpit
10-25-2007, 07:39 AM
Not just Clinton. You forgot about your butt bud Carter.

And your sources prove exactly what?

glockmail
10-25-2007, 08:04 AM
And your sources prove exactly what? That a vote for a Democrat is a vote against America.

bullypulpit
10-25-2007, 12:03 PM
That a vote for a Democrat is a vote against America.

:poop:

theHawk
10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
That a vote for a Democrat is a vote against America.

Bully is right, you need to think more positively like a liberal -

A vote for a Democrat is a vote for socialism/communism.

glockmail
10-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Sorry, but I haven't heard a positive thing come out of a liberals mouth in a long time. :coffee:

Roadrunner
10-26-2007, 06:05 AM

And they're even brave enough to field a presidential candidate to prove it!

bullypulpit
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM

Another load of :poop: from the right.

red states rule
10-29-2007, 06:14 AM
And they're even brave enough to field a presidential candidate to prove it!

and with liberals, they believe tax cuts hurt poor people and are uncompassionate but taking 30% in taxes from their paychecks is compassionate (it is for the children you know)

emmett
11-01-2007, 10:16 PM

Wow, How could someone argue with any of this!

Pale Rider
11-08-2007, 06:11 AM
Who, in your opinion, is/was the best ever President of the United States?

Thomas Jefferson.

And in my life time, Ronald Reagon.