PDA

View Full Version : Why would we abandon Trump? He’s doing what he said he would do.

jimnyc
12-08-2017, 06:15 PM
Very well stated. The man that campaigned is now the same man that sits in the oval office. The man that made many promises is fulfilling many of those same promises. I've got no reason to regret or toss him aside.

My biggest complaint is his twitter use, whicch is a double edge sword. Because I WANT him to have that access, to bypass the media, to get his opinions across. But of course there are many times that your eyeballs sit for a few moments wide open, you do a quick 'yikes'. But he's human, even if he is president. But I'm happy with him, and happy that he's doing what I had expected and more. :)

---

Why would we abandon Trump? He’s doing what he said he would do.

HILLSBORO, Ohio — A year removed from our newspaper’s endorsement of Donald Trump for president, the most frequent question I get in emails and letters are from Trump critics asking whether I regret the endorsement.

I find it an odd question. It’s reflective of a similar theme often directed at Trump supporters in columns from many of our nation’s leading op-ed writers, especially after a presidential tweet-storm or inflammatory comment or action. “Will President Trump’s supporters finally desert him?” they ask.

Through the years, it became an accepted tenet of American politics that promises made and personas adopted by presidential candidates to win votes would be abandoned or ignored in the Oval Office. By contrast, the argument could easily be made that few presidential-level politicians have been as indistinguishable as Trump, the candidate, from Trump, the president.

Trump has remained as constant as the northern star. Has Trump really behaved in some new manner that wasn’t on full display during the campaign? The outrageous tweets, the bluster, the self-aggrandizement, the insults — Trump the commander in chief is virtually identical to Trump the neophyte candidate.

But in addition to consistently exhibiting what many see as negative attributes, Trump has also tried to keep his biggest campaign promises on repealing Obamacare, securing the border and cutting taxes, and he stayed true to his word with his pick of Neil M. Gorsuch for the Supreme Court. Now, his declaration of U.S. recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital fulfills another pledge. No one who backed Trump as a candidate, with all his flaws, has been given much reason to abandon him.

Liberals seem to think the tax bill and other administration priorities will wake Trump country to the phony populism of its champion, but Trump’s voters always understood that business was going to benefit from having such an avowedly pro-business president. Really, the only supporters who might have cause for disillusionment are those who argued, or hoped, that once he assumed the presidency Trump would “pivot,” becoming “more presidential.” But that would probably be the one act that would cost Trump his base.

Among all of candidate Trump’s missteps and outrages, the one that was thought to most assuredly guarantee his demise was the infamous “Access Hollywood” tape and the ensuing allegations of numerous women claiming Trump sexually assaulted them. Those instances are the most frequently enumerated in the correspondence I receive suggesting the need for endorsement regret.

But apparently lost on many is that, in the 1990s, the left won the argument that these stories don’t matter, and that people’s private lives and attitudes, as sordid and problematic as they may be, do not determine their effectiveness as a public servant. So convincingly did President Bill Clinton’s defenders win that debate that even many on the right came to accept it, which is in part why Trump is immune on the topic and Roy Moore’s Senate candidacy remains viable in Alabama.

During the campaign, Trump famously boasted that he could shoot someone and not lose support. That is not literally true, although one could be forgiven for wondering about it. But the point he was making to the media was to quit wasting their time trying to discredit him with lurid details of his private life and times.

Even now, though, the left, along with “Never Trumpers” on the middle and right, keep waiting for Trump supporters to “wake up,” to realize their horrendous mistake, perhaps even rending their garments in an act of self-flagellation.

But the voters who coalesced around Trump understood that everyone’s closet has skeletons, a belief proved truer with each passing day. Through a lifetime of celebrity, laid bare in the media, Trump’s closet door has long stood wide open. No new revelations about his personal life were going to shock or shake his supporters.

Rest - https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-would-we-abandon-trump-hes-doing-what-he-said-he-would-do/2017/12/08/2aae3682-db95-11e7-a841-2066faf731ef_story.html?utm_term=.301df7665b77

Abbey Marie
12-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Yes, he is for the most part keeping his promises. Better than probably anyone had.

As for the tweeting, I wish he could speak with a little more sophistication, but I think it is absolutely crucial that he make an end-run around this crazy biased media monster.

LongTermGuy
12-08-2017, 09:57 PM
​Americans will never Abandon you Donald...you are all natural..no fake...no slick polish and no bullshit...

...As far as Tweets...."DONT STOP DONALD...let US know what you think" Because the Deceitful ...Lying ..Leftist Media certainly WONT...and as Americans Donald..we know and understand the Leftist talking heads will never let us know whats really up...and understand they will do everything they can to Twist...spin and misconstrue your Tweets.... and BTW...Donald...Loved your speech tonight....!!:salute:

mundame
12-08-2017, 10:16 PM
We watched the Florida Trump rally which was carried live tonight on Fox and Fox Business. Omigod, what an orator. Okay, we've got Churchill quality here, and I've heard recordings of Churchill in the original. I think Trump is as good or better. He has certainly studied Churchill: he ended with that rolling, unexpected-
expected set of variations on "make America great again" until the crowd almost passed out.

We are seeing something different, something special. We are responding to it because it's important. Both Mussolini and Hitler had this connection with their own culture, their own people, but they ended hunted and dead. Trump cannot keep from war because it's obvious we are going to war with North Korea, and probably Iran and Pakistan too. And every president has a war: that's normal. I hope he can keep from a war that ends with him defeated! And us.

LongTermGuy
12-08-2017, 10:45 PM
We watched the Florida Trump rally which was carried live tonight on Fox and Fox Business. Omigod, what an orator. Okay, we've got Churchill quality here, and I've heard recordings of Churchill in the original. I think Trump is as good or better. He has certainly studied Churchill: he ended with that rolling, unexpected-
expected set of variations on "make America great again" until the crowd almost passed out.

We are seeing something different, something special. We are responding to it because it's important. Both Mussolini and Hitler had this connection with their own culture, their own people, but they ended hunted and dead. Trump cannot keep from war because it's obvious we are going to war with North Korea, and probably Iran and Pakistan too. And every president has a war: that's normal. I hope he can keep from a war that ends with him defeated! And us.

~ "And every president has a war: that's normal. I hope he can keep from a war that ends with him defeated! And us." ~
Everything you say was good except this comment (yours)^^^^ makes me confused and I am trying to understand....

"We" and Trump and company dont want war....Other countries choose war with their actions.... which can effect "we" (America)....and we wont allow that to happen and "we" (Americans and Trump) >>will never...`Eva` Lose.....

War is always necessary ...when there is no choice.

TRANSLATION: When trash starts stinking up the house (and all the air freshener in the world can not stop stink) >>> ...we have no choice but to take it out and dump it into "Trash bin outside

mundame
12-08-2017, 11:10 PM

~ "And every president has a war: that's normal. I hope he can keep from a war that ends with him defeated! And us." ~
Everything you say was good except this comment (yours)^^^^ makes me confused and I am trying to understand....

Wow!! You unerringly picked out the one most important line from my post --- I'm impressed, LTG.

Yeah, all prez's have a war. Look back in recent history (or older history if you are better at Am. Hist. than I am) --- every president has a war. Every king used to have a war, too. Especially at the beginning of their reign (or now, administration). George HW Bush--Iraq, Clinton--Serbia, George Bush--Iraq, Obama.........well, he just dithered, but he's a rare exception and he did continue without resolving several sandpit wars. Reagan only had Grenada, but that was immediately after a lot of persuasive threats, and it was genius: no one dared cross him after that and the Air Traffic Controllers.

You really have to do that early on. If you don't, as Bush did not his first year, you end up with the Chinese forcing down an intelligence plane and sending it back in small cardboard boxes. That was hilarious, but embarrassing. Overwhelmed by Osama bin Laden's plane bombs, but still.

Trump doesn't just have to back people off: we have serious no-kidding enemies who think they can win. North Korea clearly thinks it can win: watch Kim grin all over his face. The Kaiser looked the same, so did Hitler and Tojo. They were wrong, but we still had years of war because of their convictions they would win.

What, you think I'm wrong? That we'll have peace all four years? I bet you don't think that.