PDA

View Full Version : Bad shooting, IMO, and wrong verdict, IMO

jimnyc
12-09-2017, 11:35 AM
This was the shooting of Daniel Shaver, by Mesa Arizona police officer Philip Brailsford. The shooting occurred in 2016. The officer was just found "not guilty" in his trial.

I'm attaching the video. I couldn't find anything shorter. It's shocking, but nothing overly graphic, so don't worry. The shooting takes place at around the 4:20 mark.

I don't think it was necessary, IMO. I know the call was about a gun, and all precautions are necessary, so I get that. But this was a guy begging, crawling. And while he did make a weird movement, no way in hell do I see that as someone reaching for a gun. And besides, the cop could have simply been behind a good vantage point and waited to see if he does pull anything out. Then again, this is all monday morning qb crap. I still disagree with this one though, and I'm generally on the side of law enforcement. Not because of blind bias, but I understand the job and what it entails to pull a service weapon and to be prepared.

Again, watch the whole thing to get an idea of what it was like for this guy and his girlfriend and what took place, and then the shooting is at about 4:15 - 4:25

And a story from yesterday as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsggrMcoT88

---

Ex-officer found not guilty in shooting death of Daniel Shaver

An Arizona jury on Thursday found former Mesa police officer Philip "Mitch" Brailsford not guilty of second-degree murder charges in the 2016 shooting of an unarmed Texas man who was on his knees begging for his life.

Eight jurors deliberated for less than six hours over two days, finding Brailsford not guilty of the second-degree murder charge as well as the lesser charge of reckless manslaughter.

The packed courtroom in Maricopa County Superior Court was quiet after one of Judge George Foster's clerks read the verdict.

Brailsford's acquittal came after impassioned closing arguments that offered contrasting narratives of why Brailsford shot and killed 26-year-old Daniel Shaver in a hotel hallway two years ago.

Shaver was kneeling, crying and begging not to be shot after he was confronted by six Mesa police officers in a La Quinta Inn & Suites hallway on Jan. 18, 2016. Brailsford, who was fired two months after the shooting, testified that he fired his AR-15 rifle five times because it appeared Shaver was reaching for a gun.

Rest - https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/12/08/ex-officer-found-not-guilty-shooting-death-daniel-shaver/935524001/

Kathianne
12-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Went out for dinner with a friend last night, I think a lot of people in AZ are talking about this verdict. Both of us felt that he should have been found guilty. The saddest part is, this man should never have been a cop, he obviously could not handle the stress and possibility of danger involved. Being fairly acquainted with police hiring procedure, including the psych parts, I'm not sure how they weed out those that just 'don't have what it takes,' as opposed to those who want to be cops for the 'power.' The later is something the tests do a pretty good job of weeding out, the probie year usually gets rid of those the tests miss. The problems involved with someone just not 'up to the job' likely aren't revealed until actually in a situation where it's revealed. Sometimes there's some better cop there to stop it, but not this time.