PDA

View Full Version : "Older Than Dirt"

Kathianne
12-10-2017, 09:30 AM
One of the funny sites that comes up on my fb newsfeed. In fairness there are a couple things I don't recognize, but 'mimeographs' are something that would show up in grammar school when the 'xerox' broke. ;) Great smell, I think the nuns got high! I don't know what the heck 'butch wax' is.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11081&stc=1

Bilgerat
12-10-2017, 12:55 PM
While I may not be "older than dirt"

I remember when it was made :laugh2:

Gunny
12-10-2017, 02:57 PM
I got almost a perfect score. The 2-3 I DIDN'T get were because I didn't know what the product was. :(

A-h-h-h-h-h...the smell of fresh mimeographed paper in the morning :laugh2:

aboutime
12-10-2017, 03:02 PM
On the other hand. I invented Dirt. Was the special effects director for Moses crossing the Red Sea, and I helped set the table at the LAST SUPPER.

Any questions?????:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I forgot to add that, because of my many years in the Navy. I was also NOAH's Navigator on the ARK. But I was a lousy weather man. Those 40 days, and nights of Rain were a real SOAKING time!

Gunny
12-10-2017, 03:14 PM
On the other hand. I invented Dirt. Was the special effects director for Moses crossing the Red Sea, and I helped set the table at the LAST SUPPER.

Any questions?????:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I don't know what "butch wax" is. For hair? I had a buzz cut until I was 10 or so, so I wouldn't know. Unsure about the party lines only I know my first phone number was WA3-xxxx. Was the "Walnut" exchange.

I don't think I recall newsreels before movies. Cartoons.

I STILL drink from a real glass. If I must, a can. We had a milkman and milk came in glass bottles, and Cokes were a nickel in the machine and came in a bottle. I remember the rest of the stuff.

Kathianne
12-10-2017, 04:20 PM
I don't know what "butch wax" is. For hair? I had a buzz cut until I was 10 or so, so I wouldn't know. Unsure about the party lines only I know my first phone number was WA3-xxxx. Was the "Walnut" exchange.

I STILL drink from a real glass. If I must, a can. We had a milkman and milk came in glass bottles, and Cokes were a nickel in the machine and came in a bottle. I remember the rest of the stuff.

We never had a 'party line' but some people in town did. 834=Terrace 4 279-Brownie 9

LOL! Remember no 'area codes' for local calls?

Gunny
12-10-2017, 04:24 PM
We never had a 'party line' but some people in town did. 834=Terrace 4 279-Brownie 9

LOL! Remember no 'area codes' for local calls?That hasn't been that long, has it? I think just since I got a cell. Well, THAT's been 17 years, so I guess so. But yeah, I remember. You dialed the numbers, too :)

Kathianne
12-10-2017, 04:32 PM
That hasn't been that long, has it? I think just since I got a cell. Well, THAT's been 17 years, so I guess so. But yeah, I remember. You dialed the numbers, too :)
Maybe Chicago got that sooner than others? With 'divestiture' the area went from one area code-312; to 630, 847, 815, I forget the rest. LOL! All my peeps were in 312, 630, and 847.

jimnyc
12-10-2017, 04:42 PM
When I first saw this thread I had thought it was about Gunny, that he was still puffing out the dirt when he laughed. :lol:

LongTermGuy
12-10-2017, 04:47 PM
When I first saw this thread I had thought it was about Gunny, that he was still puffing out the dirt when he laughed. :lol:
https://68.media.tumblr.com/bd02f1cd35950926c077d94a2413fb1a/tumblr_nowtu8TeNJ1rifih6o1_500.gif

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/4c/2e/c1/4c2ec1dc8ffb08628298a0d500a34f77.jpg

:laugh:

Gunny
12-10-2017, 06:42 PM
When I first saw this thread I had thought it was about Gunny, that he was still puffing out the dirt when he laughed. :lol:I got news for you, Francis Jimbob Cletus ... I am actually in between the older guys and you puppies. And from the looks of your "Cletus the Foreign Religious Book Collector" pic, I'm in a LOT better shape than your marshmallowy looking self :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
12-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Well... I'm officially older than dirt.

I don't remember "Butch Wax" either.

Gunny
12-10-2017, 07:24 PM
Well... I'm officially older than dirt.

I don't remember "Butch Wax" either.Francis Jimbob Cletus thinks I'm older than Methuselah :laugh:

jimnyc
12-10-2017, 07:26 PM
I got news for you, Francis Jimbob Cletus ... I am actually in between the older guys and you puppies. And from the looks of your "Cletus the Foreign Religious Book Collector" pic, I'm in a LOT better shape than your marshmallowy looking self :laugh:

Oh boy, tough guy, huh? :rolleyes:

This is most likely why a lot of folks don't share pictures, so that they don't get critiqued by those who think they're better, or in a "lot" better shape.

I know, tough guy, I shouldn't say anything, as you'll claim I try and look tough daily. :rolleyes: I'm glad I was man enough to take back my words. I know, I know. Save it.

Black Diamond
12-10-2017, 07:31 PM
Francis Jimbob Cletus thinks I'm older than Methuselah :laugh:
Catching up to Seth?

Gunny
12-10-2017, 07:44 PM
Catching up to Seth?I think jimbob thinks "the Big Bang" was my fault :laugh2:

Black Diamond
12-10-2017, 07:55 PM
I think jimbob thinks "the Big Bang" was my fault :laugh2:
You're saying it wasn't ?

Gunny
12-10-2017, 08:02 PM
You're saying it wasn't ?My younger brother did it :laugh:

CSM
12-11-2017, 06:38 AM
You are all just a bunch of punk ass kids.

mundame
12-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Wait, you mean they don't have those things anymore? Darn, and I never appreciated them enough when we had 'em.

Remember how the milk in those bottles on the back porch would freeze in winter and the cream would shoot up frozen 4 inches out of the bottles?

I don't know what PF Flyers are. Otherwise..........no, no, really, I never heard of ANY of that!!!

I think Butch Wax was what boys used to make their short hair cuts, the buzz cuts, stand up in front.

I probably just heard that somewhere..........couldn't have been from my brothers using it......... :rolleyes:

Gunny
12-11-2017, 02:40 PM
Oh boy, tough guy, huh? :rolleyes:

This is most likely why a lot of folks don't share pictures, so that they don't get critiqued by those who think they're better, or in a "lot" better shape.

I know, tough guy, I shouldn't say anything, as you'll claim I try and look tough daily. :rolleyes: I'm glad I was man enough to take back my words. I know, I know. Save it.Well, Cletus, I can't say I have a better wife because I don't have one. I can't say I have a better house because I don't have one. I can't say I have a better dog because I don't have one. The cats-n-dogs belong to the daughter. Can't say I have a better whatever-reptile-or-fish-you-got-this-week cuz I'll probably NEVER be bored enough to even want one :poke:

And since I DON'T have any of the aforementioned (ESPECIALLY the first one), I have time to work out :); which, is a good thing given the fact I've had to get myself back from not even being able to walk 10 feet without falling.

And let's face it jimnyc, if you looked like Brad Pitt I'd call you the ugliest fucker on the planet just because ...:slap: I really didn't even look at your pic so wipe that butthurt off your face :salute:

aboutime
12-11-2017, 10:44 PM

Just remembered a few more: I remember when a pack of smokes was 35cents.
Gas was only 28cents a gallon.
Train ride from where I lived in the Philly suburbs, into the city was 75cents, and a Buck for round trip.
Haircut was 1.50.
Drive in movies 1.00 a car night on Friday and Saturday.
Plastic model airplanes, and ships were 1.50 to 2.50.
My allowance at 13 years old was 2 bucks a week.
Ice cream soda at the Drug store was .50cents.
Popular Mechanics magazine was .75cents. Playboy was (SHHHHH) 1.50.
The party lines were where all the neighbors who HAD a phone,
had to wait their turn to make a call, and everybody could listen if they wanted.
Newsreels were shown before the Cartoons, and the movie.
We could leave our bicycle out front over night, and nobody would take it.
My dad left the windows in the car open during the Summer, on the street, over night.
We didn't need a Fishing license to go down to the creek and fish.
We had 55 gallon drums, with the lid cut off that we used to BURN our trash, and the garbage man came by twice a week. The garbage truck had a Wide Trough across the back of the truck...and the garbage (STINKING STUFF) was lifted up into the top of the truck.
Played stickball in the street, football, without helmets in the snow, and swam in the wading pool at the park during the Summer.
I had Sneakers that I wore all Summer, that got so torn up....as our town Fire chief laughed at us...telling us...when he was growing up. His shoes were so thin. He could step on a Dime...and be able to tell whether it was HEADS, or TAILS. No joke.:laugh:

Gunny
12-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Just remembered a few more: I remember when a pack of smokes was 35cents.
Gas was only 28cents a gallon.
Train ride from where I lived in the Philly suburbs, into the city was 75cents, and a Buck for round trip.
Haircut was 1.50.
Drive in movies 1.00 a car night on Friday and Saturday.
Plastic model airplanes, and ships were 1.50 to 2.50.
My allowance at 13 years old was 2 bucks a week.
Ice cream soda at the Drug store was .50cents.
Popular Mechanics magazine was .75cents. Playboy was (SHHHHH) 1.50.
The party lines were where all the neighbors who HAD a phone,
had to wait their turn to make a call, and everybody could listen if they wanted.
Newsreels were shown before the Cartoons, and the movie.
We could leave our bicycle out front over night, and nobody would take it.
My dad left the windows in the car open during the Summer, on the street, over night.
We didn't need a Fishing license to go down to the creek and fish.
We had 55 gallon drums, with the lid cut off that we used to BURN our trash, and the garbage man came by twice a week. The garbage truck had a Wide Trough across the back of the truck...and the garbage (STINKING STUFF) was lifted up into the top of the truck.
Played stickball in the street, football, without helmets in the snow, and swam in the wading pool at the park during the Summer.
I had Sneakers that I wore all Summer, that got so torn up....as our town Fire chief laughed at us...telling us...when he was growing up. His shoes were so thin. He could step on a Dime...and be able to tell whether it was HEADS, or TAILS. No joke.:laugh:Most of that I remember. I didn't get shoes during the summer. We ran barefoot or wore sandals. And yeah, one pair, threadbare sneakers with no tread and i pr of dress shoes for church. Play clothes were last year's school clothes. And DON'T get your butt caught outside rough-housing in the school clothes :laugh:

I think I was 5 or 6 when gas was 27 cents a gallon here. I only remember it because my grandfather bitched about it going up. That dude could squeeze a penny until Abe Lincoln squealed.