PDA

View Full Version : Polar Bear Shenanigans

NightTrain
12-17-2017, 11:25 PM
So, most of you know I'm up in Barrow right now, upgrading the cell and internet for this town.

A couple of days ago, I was at a local cop's house testing his connection when the call came over the radio that there were 2 polar bears out on the tarmac at the airport. The local cops responded and chased them off, and this guy videoed the encounter :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6JWu7QHMhg

Right at the 10 second mark, you can see a light on the right side of the screen, out about a half mile or so. That's our Line Crew who were working out there putting fiber in the ground for this project. They saw the cop blue & red lights flashing in the distance, but had no idea that there were 2 polar bears hauling ass straight for them.
They never did see them go past, but they were close.

At the same time, there was another solo polar bear on the other side of town. It's a common occurrence around Barrow, but this vid went viral because it was a pretty decent video of the encounter. They were just youngsters wandering around and happened into town, recently kicked out by their mother.

If you read the comments, though, there's all sorts of 'experts' declaring that the bears are in Barrow because of global warming. And they're starving. I don't have the energy to call them all idiots, but maybe after I fly home on Friday I will. 75% of the houses here have at least one polar bear rug or wall hanging... seems they've been wandering into town for the last 3,000 years or so.

darin
12-18-2017, 03:06 AM
I love the idea of living a place where life matters more :)