PDA

View Full Version : Major Amtrak derailment

jimnyc
12-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Amtrak train derails, dangles over interstate in Washington

DUPONT, Wash. -- An Amtrak train has derailed on an overpass in Washington, and authorities say "injuries and casualties" were reported. At this time, all lanes of traffic remain blocked on Interstate 5.

The Washington State Department of Transportation tweeted a photo of the derailment, urging motorists to avoid the area.

CBS News affiliate KIRO-TV reports first responders are treating the derailment as a mass casualty incident. Authorities have not yet provided details on injuries.

"Emergency crews are on the scene and the Amtrak Management is responding," an Amtrak spokesperson said in a statement. "Some injuries are reported. Service between Seattle and Portland is suspended for the time being."

Amtrak train 501, which departed shortly before 8 a.m. in Tacoma, was part of a service that launched Monday morning. The Cascades service from Seattle to Portland was supposed to be rated for a maximum speed of 79 mph for the section where it derailed in DuPont, according to passenger Chris Karnes.

Rest - https://www.cbsnews.com/news/amtrak-train-derailment-tacoma-washington-traffic-today-live-updates/

Derailed Amtrak train plunges off bridge onto I-5 lanes south of Tacoma

(KOMO) — PIERCE COUNTY, Wash. - All southbound lanes of Interstate 5 are closed south of Joint Base Lewis-McChord after an Amtrak train derailed and plunged off an overpass onto the freeway.

Officials have reported some "casualties and injuries."

Motorists are being warned to avoid the area.

"I was just shocked," said Peter Zimmerman of Olympia. "I couldn't believe it. It was like something out of a movie."

State transportation officials say the train derailed near Mounts Road, about 40 miles south of Seattle., at about 8 a.m. Monday.

Rest - http://komonews.com/news/local/derailed-train-falls-off-bridge-onto-i-5-lanes-south-of-tacoma

'Injuries and casualties' reported in Amtrak train derailment near Lacey

A high-speed Amtrak train derailed onto Interstate 5 between Tacoma and Olympia Monday. Casualties and injuries are reported. Drivers are being told to avoid the area and expect alternate routes to be backed up.

Photos from the scene show the derailed car hanging off an overpass. Drivers are urged to avoid the area.

The Pierce County Sheriff's Office says the train was headed southbound. Casualties and injuries reported, but how many was not immediately known.

http://www.king5.com/article/traffic/injuries-and-casualties-reported-in-amtrak-train-derailment-near-lacey/281-500303305

LongTermGuy
12-18-2017, 12:38 PM
​At home today...watching story closely as it unfolds...

Taco Junkie
12-18-2017, 02:36 PM
That'll screw up the traffic there for weeks. I've driven in nearly every major city in the U.S. Seattle was the worst.

mundame
12-18-2017, 03:02 PM
Just before I came on here I saw something about a derailment on the WSJ --- I didn't know it was a big accident. The Journal said it was a new bypass and this was the first trip!

I'd say, if so, that it wasn't very well engineered. Maybe a bad curve.

Kathianne
12-18-2017, 08:40 PM
Now about 'high speed rail' in the western states? Mountain curves are not that easy to decelerate from 80+ mph, to 40 in less than a mile. That's what the train was attempting to do. It would save 10 minutes on the trip between cities.

Black Diamond
12-18-2017, 08:45 PM
Now about 'high speed rail' in the western states? Mountain curves are not that easy to decelerate from 80+ mph, to 40 in less than a mile. That's what the train was attempting to do. It would save 10 minutes on the trip between cities.
Wonder if we will see politicians do a 180 like they did with nuclear energy after Japan.

GravyBoat
12-18-2017, 10:22 PM
anti-fa screwed with that line a few weeks ago, they had to close down the tracks, something about a fracking protest, so they prolly derailed this train, leftists love murder

Bilgerat
12-19-2017, 12:48 PM
The commuter train was traveling at 80 mph on a 30-mph stretch of track, according to investigators with the National Transportation Safety Board.

Ordinarily, it’s difficult to forecast the total money damages for one person in any injury case. Each case requires complex calculations incorporating medical bills, future care, and valuations of past and future pain and loss of ability. In the case of a mass accident with multiple deaths and life-changing
injuries, it’s even more difficult.

In the case of a train derailment like this, however, the math has been simplified by statute. It’s worth no more than $200 million. Total. For everyone.

The 1997 Amtrak Reform and Accountability Act sets a $200 million maximum limit for the “allowable awards to all rail passengers, against all defendants, for all claims, including claims for punitive damages, arising from a single accident."

That means that no matter how many are killed, no matter how many are injured, and no matter how serious the injuries are, the maximum dollar amount all the plaintiffs combined can recover from all the defendants combined is $200 million.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/amtrak-derailment-liabilities-capped-200-million-due-1997-law-n831071

pete311
12-19-2017, 01:17 PM
Do not be the first to do/try anything. General rule of life.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 05:16 PM
Do not be the first to do/try anything. General rule of life.
Wrong.