PDA

View Full Version : N.Y., Cali Violating Civil Rights by Mandating Abortion Coverage, Says Congressman

jimnyc
12-18-2017, 02:02 PM
N.Y., California Violating Civil Rights by Mandating Abortion Coverage, Says Congressman

WASHINGTON – Sen. James Lankford (R-Okla.) said there is “wide support” among congressional Republicans for allowing medical professionals to pursue “legal action” if their personal anti-abortion beliefs are violated.

The Conscience Protection Act of 2017 would “amend the Public Health Service Act to prohibit governmental discrimination against providers of health services that are not involved in abortion.”

“Leadership will have to make the call on exactly when to be able to place it. I know [Mitch] McConnell is very pro-life as well, but this to me is not even an issue of being pro-life or not pro-life. This is allowing Americans to be able to live out their conscience and their values. Again, the conscience protection piece doesn’t stop with one abortion. It just allows individuals to say, ‘please don’t compel me to participate in that and to not have to,’” Lankford said at after a recent news conference on Capitol Hill. “There will be opposition by some. I mentally can’t understand why there would be opposition by some, but I’m sure there will be.”

Rep. Chris Smith (R-N.J.) said conscience protection is “a civil rights issue.”

“You can’t coerce people,” he said after the press conference.

Smith slammed governors like Jerry Brown of California for requiring all private health insurance plans to include coverage for abortions. The state of New York has the same requirement. Brown has also expanded the kinds of providers who are able to perform abortions.

“In California, in Oregon, in New York, you have these governors, Jerry Brown, saying to every healthcare provider, everyone, you have to have abortion on demand paid for and subsidized by your plan or you are disqualified and we will bring punitive action against you,” Smith said. “That’s a violation of the conscience of faith people – and people who out of conscience, but they are not faith-oriented, who say, ‘I don’t want to be part of that.’”

A reporter pointed out that the current House and Senate appropriations bills differ in terms of conscience protection and other related healthcare issues.

Rest - https://pjmedia.com/news-and-politics/n-y-california-violating-civil-rights-mandating-abortion-coverage-says-congressman/