PDA

View Full Version : The BEAST

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 07:16 PM
Starting to wonder why I bought the snowblower attachment for this tractor. I used it like twice year before last, and once last year, and we're talking Wisconsin where I remember when I was younger we used to get snow like CRAZY. Is GLOBAL WARMING REAL, or what's going on? I could have just done NOTHING the past couple years and been fine far as snow removal...

https://image.ibb.co/bTfv0R/The_BEAST.jpg

Kathianne
12-19-2017, 07:53 PM
Starting to wonder why I bought the snowblower attachment for this tractor. I used it like twice year before last, and once last year, and we're talking Wisconsin where I remember when I was younger we used to get snow like CRAZY. Is GLOBAL WARMING REAL, or what's going on? I could have just done NOTHING the past couple years and been fine far as snow removal...

After I moved west, the snow slowed way down. You may blame me. ;)

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 08:04 PM
After I moved west, the snow slowed way down. You may blame me. ;)
I repped the wrong post... :laugh:

I had a hate/love relationship with AZ. It was something to behold living in Apache Junction, west end of Phoenix. I really enjoyed some of the people I met and did get into the hot and dry... at first... and my parents were there... but after awhile it got old. I was ready to get otta there after school at MMI. I do look forward to the 4 seasons... "CLIMATE CHANGE"... :rolleyes:

But really, I remember as a kid here, deer hunting, later part of November, it was ALWAYS cold and lots of snow. These past years here have been nothing like it was decades ago. I'm not a real believer in GLOBAL WARMING, but damn... kinda hard to just say no to it when it does seem like it's happening.

aboutime
12-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Always wanted a DEERE. Kind of a Bucket List item. Be nice to have grass, or even enough weeds to cut.:laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 08:19 PM
Always wanted a DEERE. Kind of a Bucket List item. Be nice to have grass, or even enough weeds to cut.:laugh:
My Paw had an old John Deere Model B. Being the true blooded gear head hotrod with oil in his veins that I am, that sealed the deal for me. I've loved John Deere for as long as I can remember. This is my second one, money be damned. I have about an acre and a quarter so, there's plenty to do around here with it. I have a 54" mower deck for it, a plow that goes on the same hydraulic "quick-tach" on the front and a nice little wagon, it IS a beast. It has full 4-way hydraulics, 25hp Kawasaki engine, hydro drive, water cooled, fuel injected, manual posi traction, full gauges, tilt wheel, adjustable seat, power outlet for phone charger or whatever... it's just an awesome machine. You get what you pay for.

But where's the SNOW?

Kathianne
12-19-2017, 08:20 PM
I repped the wrong post... :laugh:

I had a hate/love relationship with AZ. It was something to behold living in Apache Junction, west end of Phoenix. I really enjoyed some of the people I met and did get into the hot and dry... at first... and my parents were there... but after awhile it got old. I was ready to get otta there after school at MMI. I do look forward to the 4 seasons... "CLIMATE CHANGE"... :rolleyes:

But really, I remember as a kid here, deer hunting, later part of November, it was ALWAYS cold and lots of snow. These past years here have been nothing like it was decades ago. I'm not a real believer in GLOBAL WARMING, but damn... kinda hard to just say no to it when it does seem like it's happening.

The last few years, especially the last two in Chicago were brutal regarding snow and cold. That is what got me to move. I can handle snow. I can handle cold. But it's not supposed to be freaking below zero and dumping over a foot of snow. Nope.

aboutime
12-19-2017, 08:24 PM
My Paw had an old John Deere Model B. Being the true blooded gear head hotrod with oil in his veins that I am, that sealed the deal for me. I've loved John Deere for as long as I can remember. This is my second one, money be damned. I have about an acre and a quarter so, there's plenty to do around here with it. I have a 54" mower deck for it, a plow that goes on the same hydraulic "quick-tach" on the front and a nice little wagon, it IS a beast. It has full 4-way hydraulics, 25hp Kawasaki engine, hydro drive, water cooled, fuel injected, manual posi traction, full gauges, tilt wheel, adjustable seat, power outlet for phone charger or whatever... it's just an awesome machine. You get what you pay for.

My oldest son, up near D.C. has a smaller one he really likes, and he knows I've always wanted one too! I keep telling him I'll pay for the gas for him to Drive it down I-95 in the Median all the way to my place.:laugh: Problem is, he'd need a tanker towed behind him to hold the gas, and when he got to the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel...he might have a few problems with the cops!!!:laugh:
Just riding them is all the fun I would need.

Gunny
12-19-2017, 08:26 PM
The last few years, especially the last two in Chicago were brutal regarding snow and cold. That is what got me to move. I can handle snow. I can handle cold. But it's not supposed to be freaking below zero and dumping over a foot of snow. Nope.Yeah, that last winter I was in IL it started in Feb and was still on the ground in March, when I left. Was around 20 most days. Below zero quite a few times.

So moved to an oven :laugh:

LongTermGuy
12-19-2017, 08:38 PM
.....Nice good looking machine...very cool!...Like some of the other things `there` also...good place to think and work.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 08:38 PM
The last few years, especially the last two in Chicago were brutal regarding snow and cold. That is what got me to move. I can handle snow. I can handle cold. But it's not supposed to be freaking below zero and dumping over a foot of snow. Nope.
First year I was in Reno, 2004, we had what they were calling "the snow of the century." They stopped measuring it in inches and started calling it FEET. It snowed blizzard style for two days straight. I was wondering what the hell I got myself into. I figured it was "the Donner Party" part II... ;)

At my apartments in Reno...

https://image.ibb.co/ebwqZm/20015.jpg

https://image.ibb.co/g9UoLR/20022.jpg

The next three years nothing. I rode my Harley year round... weird.

Kathianne
12-19-2017, 08:39 PM
I left IL on June 9th and I wore a sweatshirt and down jacket. Didn't take the jacket off until noon. Had to switch to t-shirt in OK.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 08:48 PM
I left IL on June 9th and I wore a sweatshirt and down jacket. Didn't take the jacket off until noon. Had to switch to t-shirt in OK.
When I left Madison to go Nellis AFB in January, I was wearing my dress blues because we had to when we traveled, and it was bone chilling cold in Wisconsin. 1980... when we landed at McCarren airport in Vegas, when I reached the door departing the plane, before I could see out I felt a hot blast of air coming in and surely thought it was from another plane with its exhaust pointed at us, but nope, that was just Vegas. My first taste of the southwest. I was there from 1/1980 to 10/1983, and it was a TRIP. This little HICK from Podunk, WI in one of the wildest cities on the planet. Yeah it was fun, just one huge vacation other than my military obligation, but I will say this, I was ready to leave when my time was up, and I would never live there again.

Gunny
12-19-2017, 09:04 PM
I left IL on June 9th and I wore a sweatshirt and down jacket. Didn't take the jacket off until noon. Had to switch to t-shirt in OK.I left in March. Five " of snow on the ground. Was down to tee-shirt and jeans by Dallas.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 09:25 PM
I left in March. Five " of snow on the ground. Was down to tee-shirt and jeans by Dallas.
I've thought about living in TX... too flat for me.

Taco Junkie
12-19-2017, 09:57 PM
You're too prepared. It doesn't happen when you do that. Don't have the plow on or the chains, it'll snow 3'. Now don't take em off. I'm fine with no snow. :thumb:

High_Plains_Drifter
12-19-2017, 10:13 PM
.....Nice good looking machine...very cool!...Like some of the other things `there` also...good place to think and work.

Yeah it's the SHOP. I spend more time out here than I do in the house, because all my cool TOYS are out here... the MAN CAVE... :laugh:

I love to fix and build stuff. Been my life, l love it. I could go on and on about all the tools and whatnot I have out here, but, it doesn't interest all that many people, but to me it's my own little paradise... ;)

mundame
12-19-2017, 10:16 PM

Whoa, NICE tractor. I love the chains.

We didn't use our snowblower for two winters in Maryland, either. There have been two snows laying already in December this year, however.

darin
12-20-2017, 01:34 AM
Love that - Really envious. Of having a garage and a tractor and stuff and junk. Is that a HAM?

The snow comes and goes - every time I move, the place I left gets a LOT of snow the following year - and the whole time I am at a place, they have record LACK of snow. And the curse from God is, I LOVE snow in the winter... :(

Rarely get it, no matter where I live.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-20-2017, 07:36 AM
Love that - Really envious. Of having a garage and a tractor and stuff and junk. Is that a HAM?

The snow comes and goes - every time I move, the place I left gets a LOT of snow the following year - and the whole time I am at a place, they have record LACK of snow. And the curse from God is, I LOVE snow in the winter... :(

Rarely get it, no matter where I live.
It's kind of a CB/Ham hybrid. It's what they call a 10 meter radio, it's a Galaxy DX2517. You don't need a license to operate it within the CB band, but if you go above or below that you do. It's a very fun radio and will really reach out. I don't have my antenna up right now though. I had it up on what is supposed to be my new flag pole, but when I had a tree cut down real near it I had to take it down. I have a real nice tribeam tower that was here when I bought this place that I'm going to build a concrete base for, and then hinge the tower to the base so I can easily tip it up or down, and get my Maco antenna back up, 4x higher than it was before, and get a nice 2K watt kicker. I'll easily talk to either coast, or around the world on a repeater.

darin
12-20-2017, 07:42 AM
excellent! When I was thinking about driving to Deadhorse I was gonna go with a car-mount Ham in addition to CB; just in case. Thus, I read-up a LITTLE bit about them.

But really, I really need to move/settle in a place with solid snow every year. We had a few inches (that's what she said) over the weekend; but melted in a day. I get depressed when the snow melts. I try to remind myself it's not even winter until tomorrow. But this place doesn't typically get much snow anyway.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-20-2017, 08:01 AM
excellent! When I was thinking about driving to Deadhorse I was gonna go with a car-mount Ham in addition to CB; just in case. Thus, I read-up a LITTLE bit about them.

But really, I really need to move/settle in a place with solid snow every year. We had a few inches (that's what she said) over the weekend; but melted in a day. I get depressed when the snow melts. I try to remind myself it's not even winter until tomorrow. But this place doesn't typically get much snow anyway.
"Buffalo, NY." Has to be one of the snowiest places in America in the lower 48. It gets those horrendous lake effect snows.

Otherwise, if the short days and bitter cold didn't bother you... Alaska.

Wisconsin is about as bad as I can handle. I mean the last couple winters have been a cake walk, but I know winters here can be extremely harsh, and COLD. We get that Alberta Clipper, and it's just a huge wave of cold air that dips down from Canada, and it always seems to be centered right over Wisconsin. We are regularly the coldest spot in the nation, and I know people see it. I've mentioned to a friend or two about how beautiful Wisconsin is with our lakes and streams and fields and farms and forest, etc, and the first thing they reply with is always, "but it's really cold there," ... :laugh:

darin
12-20-2017, 08:10 AM
if it wasn't for Buffalo being within the confines of the Empire of New York State....yep.

And maybe alaska - I think i'd like it if I could afford it; things cost a lot of money to ship that far up.

I'm thinking Idaho/Montana/North Eastern WA perhaps. Good summers and better winters.

We'll see.

High_Plains_Drifter
12-20-2017, 08:20 AM
if it wasn't for Buffalo being within the confines of the Empire of New York State....yep.

And maybe alaska - I think i'd like it if I could afford it; things cost a lot of money to ship that far up.

I'm thinking Idaho/Montana/North Eastern WA perhaps. Good summers and better winters.

We'll see.
Perhaps up in the mountains in CO... Vale.

But I know CO isn't much better than NY far as being a leftist state.

Abbey Marie
12-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah it's the SHOP. I spend more time out here than I do in the house, because all my cool TOYS are out here... the MAN CAVE... :laugh:

I love to fix and build stuff. Been my life, l love it. I could go on and on about all the tools and whatnot I have out here, but, it doesn't interest all that many people, but to me it's my own little paradise... ;)

Warning: "Girl" comment ahead:

You are right in my case- I have zero interest in such items.
But- I appreciate how brightly-lit your garage is. They are usually so dark and depressing to me. I actually wouldn't mind being there...