PDA

View Full Version : Hate this kind of snow

jimnyc
01-03-2018, 04:04 PM
Supposed to get anywhere from 1-6 inches of snow overnight into tomorrow morning. Enough to close the kiddo's school and leave him at home. Enough to make the roads miserable. Enough to have to shovel/ice the driveway.

If I had a snowblower, I would much rather get a foot or foot and a half of snow!

Abbey Marie
01-03-2018, 04:16 PM
When we were kids, the school didn't close for anything. How I wished it would!

We are expecting 4-6 inches. I think being in NH with air temps of 2 degrees prepared me for this well.

Elessar
01-03-2018, 04:20 PM
Heh! I would much rather see any kind snow here! It rarely snows along the coast here.

I recall a storm when I was stationed in Bayside Queens in '82 where 18 inches fell. NYC had no
place to plow it, so they used endloaders to scoop it up into dumptrucks which dumped it into the East River.

One place I would have loved to see snow was Los Angeles-Long Beach! The idiot drivers there would be so
befuddled it would be hilarious to sit and watch them.

Elessar
01-03-2018, 04:21 PM

We are expecting 4-6 inches. I think being in NH with air temps of 2 degrees prepared me for this well.

Growing up in West Virgina, they did not close schools unless there was at least 8 inches on the ground.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-03-2018, 04:23 PM

Yup... the only day we EVER got a "snow day" was if the SNOW PLOWS GOT STUCK.

Now they have them all the time.

Have people just become a bunch of a damn SISSIES?

Abbey Marie
01-03-2018, 04:27 PM

I think it's all a product of our litigiousness.

But, yes, sissies too!

Elessar
01-03-2018, 04:27 PM

In a word -YUP!

One thing I do hate is sleet. Slicker than a greased cat's ass to drive on, even with snow treads
on all 4.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-03-2018, 04:32 PM
In a word -YUP!

One thing I do hate is sleet. Slicker than a greased cat's ass to drive on, even with snow treads
on all 4.
When I moved to Reno I still had my Ford van, which I had bought for moving purposes only.

But low and behold, STUDDED TIRES are LEGAL in Nevada. Well what a break, because when I got there in 2004, we had the "SNOW OF THE CENTURY" they were calling it. Without those studded snow tires I'd have been up sheet creek without a paddle.

Never saw it snow like that again in Reno. Most years I rode my Harley year round.

Elessar
01-03-2018, 04:37 PM
When I moved to Reno I still had my Ford van, which I had bought for moving purposes only.

But low and behold, STUDDED TIRES are LEGAL in Nevada. Well what a break, because when I got there in 2004, we had the "SNOW OF THE CENTURY" they were calling it. Without those studded snow tires I'd have been up sheet creek without a paddle.

Never saw it snow like that again in Reno. Most years I rode my Harley year round.

I never have had to use chains on my 4x4's. In CA studded tires are illegal. OR allows them from Nov to Apr.
We learned to drive in WV using sawdust tread tires. Great on ice and snow, but I do not think
you can find them any longer because they were retreads made by Kelly-Springield.

Polite Russian
01-03-2018, 05:09 PM
That moment, when you live in Russia and there is NO snow.

Gunny
01-04-2018, 04:49 PM

We are expecting 4-6 inches. I think being in NH with air temps of 2 degrees prepared me for this well.I was going to ask, but ....:laugh:

You're crazy, Abbey. I've survived a blizzard or two but I don't recall liking one. Snow is cool if I can see it from the fireplace :).

GravyBoat
01-04-2018, 06:17 PM
Toyo makes walnut tires said to be good, I don't think they make sawdust tires any longer.

NightTrain
01-04-2018, 10:12 PM
You all really crack me up sometimes.

:smoke: