PDA

View Full Version : Flares Are Not Toys!

Elessar
01-03-2018, 05:42 PM
An advisory on use of Emergency Pyrotechnics.

A False Distress Broadcast or Signalling can land someone in really deep shit if caught and prosecuted.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1d00282

Gunny
01-03-2018, 06:02 PM
An advisory on use of Emergency Pyrotechnics.

A False Distress Broadcast or Signalling can land someone in really deep shit if caught and prosecuted.

https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/1d00282Some dumbass grunts swiped some pyro after a CAX at 29 Palms and fired them off on the 4th of July. One caught the Alamo (the name of the local supermarket) on fire.

Now WHERE you might ask yourself do you run and hide in the Hi Desert where everyone can see a good 30 miles rather clearly and the "highway" system looks like a plus sign?:laugh: All 3 made Pvt at one time:laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-03-2018, 06:23 PM
There were some old missile silos way out along the hills across from Area 3 on Nellis AFB. This was common knowledge and the base didn't have any issue with us GI's going out there to party, it kept us out of downtown Vegas and out of trouble. Well there was also a massive pile of old tires on the way out to the old silos, so us GI's would stop and fill our trucks and car trunks with tires and head for the silos where we would promptly set them on FIRE. One night the fire got so huge that a Las Vegas cop helicopter came out and shined their light on us all out there on BASE PROPERTY, so we all waved and said hi. They flew away and nothing was ever said about it.

Fun times.

Gunny
01-03-2018, 07:11 PM
There were some old missile silos way out along the hills across from Area 3 on Nellis AFB. This was common knowledge and the base didn't have any issue with us GI's going out there to party, it kept us out of downtown Vegas and out of trouble. Well there was also a massive pile of old tires on the way out to the old silos, so us GI's would stop and fill our trucks and car trunks with tires and head for the silos where we would promptly set them on FIRE. One night the fire got so huge that a Las Vegas cop helicopter came out and shined their light on us all out there on BASE PROPERTY, so we all waved and said hi. They flew away and nothing was ever said about it.

Fun times.Yeah. Try that now. Probably be accused of holding a Klan rally for burning tires. Don't know how you could stand the smell.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-03-2018, 07:32 PM
Yeah. Try that now. Probably be accused of holding a Klan rally for burning tires. Don't know how you could stand the smell.
The fire was so huge and hot that the smoke went straight up like it was in a chimney. People had to stand 30-40 feet back... :laugh:

Hey, when you're drunk... nobody would have gave a crap about the smell anyway... IT WAS A GREAT FIRE... :salute:

Yeah I think the Las Vegas Speedway is built where those old silos used to be. We're talking about back in 1980 when we had the fires. In any case, it's all gone now. Las Vegas has gotten so big it SUCKS.

Elessar
01-03-2018, 07:47 PM
I responded to so many FALSE Maydays and Flare reports over the years, putting our crews
in jeapordy. I protected those crews as best as possible.

Not many people can tell the difference from a Maritime or Military Falre, a meteor, or fireworks. I can
in an instant.

One retired USN Gunner's Mate Chief once reported 7 white flares on the horizon at 2200 one night.
Told me what a flare looks like. I asked him how long they burned. He said 5 minutes. Wrong Reply!
Commercial flares do not burn that long...45 seconds to 75 seconds MAX.
I saw them when I drove in at 1630 - masthead lights from crab fishing boats.

The candlepower of Maritime or Military flares exceeds even the best commercial fireworks.
Meteors usually just fall although I did see two fireballs fly over the horizon, one red, one green.
Flares rise, and fall.

GravyBoat
01-04-2018, 06:35 PM
That's why I only shoot flares into the woods, never into the sky, only maniacs and those with actual emergencies do that.

Gunny
01-04-2018, 06:57 PM
I responded to so many FALSE Maydays and Flare reports over the years, putting our crews
in jeapordy. I protected those crews as best as possible.

Not many people can tell the difference from a Maritime or Military Falre, a meteor, or fireworks. I can
in an instant.

One retired USN Gunner's Mate Chief once reported 7 white flares on the horizon at 2200 one night.
Told me what a flare looks like. I asked him how long they burned. He said 5 minutes. Wrong Reply!
Commercial flares do not burn that long...45 seconds to 75 seconds MAX.
I saw them when I drove in at 1630 - masthead lights from crab fishing boats.

The candlepower of Maritime or Military flares exceeds even the best commercial fireworks.
Meteors usually just fall although I did see two fireballs fly over the horizon, one red, one green.
Flares rise, and fall.I've actually used only smoke. The only time I would have needed an emergency flare it wouldn't have done any good anyway. They are however easily discerned from operational smoke and starburst clusters.

Elessar
01-04-2018, 07:11 PM
I've actually used only smoke. The only time I would have needed an emergency flare it wouldn't have done any good anyway. They are however easily discerned from operational smoke and starburst clusters.

I've used them all, observed them and taught them - smoke, illumination and distress. The only ones I never had to fool
with were green ones which indicates a submarine surfacing.:laugh:

Gunny
01-04-2018, 07:14 PM
I've used them all, observed them and taught them - smoke, illumination and distress. The only ones I never had to fool
with were green ones which indicates a submarine surfacing.:laugh:We used white, red, yellow and blue. The white was phosphorous. We weren't wasting that on any signals. It'll burn a hole in anything.