PDA

View Full Version : FBI Director Christopher Wray Calls Encryption On Devices A Safety Issue

Gunny
01-09-2018, 10:03 PM
January 9, 2018
OAN Newsroom
FBI Director Christopher Wray calls powerful encryption on electronic devices an “urgent public safety issue.”
Wray spoke at the International Conference on Cyber Security in New York Tuesday in hopes of reintroducing the privacy and security debate.
He said law enforcement’s inability to gain access to devices undermines tools the FBI needs to keep Americans safe.
“Being unable to access nearly 7,800 devices in a single year is a major public safety issue, said Wray. “That’s just to give you a frame of reference, that’s more than half of all the devices we attempted to access in that time frame and that’s just at the FBI.”
Wray says the bureau supports strong encryption, and both sides need to work together to bring the nation’s security into the 21st century.
http://www.oann.com/fbi-director-christopher-wray-calls-encryption-on-devices-a-safety-issue/

I disagree. The Feds ALWAYS use "public safety" as their excuse to encroach on the 4th Amendment. By "accessing a device" they mean pinpointing someone's whereabouts if not eavesdropping.

FYI: Even if you turn off your phone and or your GPS on the phone, they can turn it back on. And if you got one of those new, mostly-computerized vehicles? Luck.

And it isn't a matter of not doing anything wrong. It's that where I am and what I am doing is none of their damned business. If I'm committing a crime good enough for the FBI to want me they'll already know where I am by turning on the TV. Everybody and his brother will be filming me (illegally while driving) on their cell phones.

aboutime
01-09-2018, 10:15 PM
I look at encryption the other way. I remember when JOHN WALKER, and his son sold our CRYPTO codes to the Russians, from the Vietnam war until the mid-80's.

Encryption is designed to protect all of us from our enemies intruding on our military, business, and corporate secrets. YES. GPS on your phone discloses your location, as it does my location, down to the yard. Sadly, that is the price we all pay today for all of our modern, electronic wonders that allow us to be even MORE LAZY.
As for anyone knowing what you are doing. Think about this. Do you have a Social Security Number? An address? A phone number? Do you pay bills? Go to the VA, or a Doctor? They already have all the information they need. If you want to be breaking the law for any reason. You're probably safer, since most of the criminal types....Don't really care about the 4TH amendment. If they even know what it is.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-09-2018, 10:27 PM
http://www.oann.com/fbi-director-christopher-wray-calls-encryption-on-devices-a-safety-issue/

I disagree. The Feds ALWAYS use "public safety" as their excuse to encroach on the 4th Amendment. By "accessing a device" they mean pinpointing someone's whereabouts if not eavesdropping.

FYI: Even if you turn off your phone and or your GPS on the phone, they can turn it back on. And if you got one of those new, mostly-computerized vehicles? Luck.

And it isn't a matter of not doing anything wrong. It's that where I am and what I am doing is none of their damned business. If I'm committing a crime good enough for the FBI to want me they'll already know where I am by turning on the TV. Everybody and his brother will be filming me (illegally while driving) on their cell phones.

Feds already have too damn much power over us!!! That they never stop wanting even more should send up red flags.
When do we say-- enough is enough??
So we give them more and more unconstitutional power over law abiding citizens?
Do not think this power is only used against criminals, recent actions by the Feds put that lie to light.
I am no criminal and the bastards have no damn right to know every damn thing about me...
A damn lie that it is only about our safety--do they mean safety of the herd of Sheeple that they control?
These are the same types that engineered that crap called Political Correctness, inching ever closer to being the damn Borg--

FFKKK THEM!!!!! FBI UNDER THE BASTARD OBAMA, HAPPILY BROKE LAWS AND INFRINGED ON CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS OF LAW ABIDING CITIZENS --WITH NO PUNISHMENT EVER GIVEN!!
They broke voting rights laws too. -TYR

Gunny
01-09-2018, 10:28 PM
I look at encryption the other way. I remember when JOHN WALKER, and his son sold our CRYPTO codes to the Russians, from the Vietnam war until the mid-80's.

Encryption is designed to protect all of us from our enemies intruding on our military, business, and corporate secrets. YES. GPS on your phone discloses your location, as it does my location, down to the yard. Sadly, that is the price we all pay today for all of our modern, electronic wonders that allow us to be even MORE LAZY.
As for anyone knowing what you are doing. Think about this. Do you have a Social Security Number? An address? A phone number? Do you pay bills? Go to the VA, or a Doctor? They already have all the information they need. If you want to be breaking the law for any reason. You're probably safer, since most of the criminal types....Don't really care about the 4TH amendment. If they even know what it is.You know for some reason, the only people that DO have any of that info act like they never can find me (DFAS, USMC.mil, the IRS). It's like I'm not trying hard enough to let them know where I am :laugh:

I'm as close to off the grid as it gets. Phone is in daughter's name (she got some deal for 4 of them), and my old truck doesn't have squat on it.

Walker was dropping off paper messages, IIRC (how times have changed). A truckload of Naval messages probably fits on one of those little plug-in devices now. I seem to recall he was delivering hard copies in a brief case.

It isn't that I care if anyone knows what I'm doing. You've got to be REAL bored to even wonder. It's the principle with me. The government just wordsmiths us out of whatever Rights they see fit.

GravyBoat
01-10-2018, 02:00 AM
It appears that statist bastard has never heard of the 4th Amendment.

darin
01-10-2018, 03:13 AM
Dangerous liberty over safe slavery.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
01-10-2018, 07:14 AM
Dangerous liberty over safe slavery.

Exactly!!!! :beer: :salute::salute: :beer:
Wouldnt want too much of that dangerous liberty as it just might limit how much , control, greed and corruption they can engage in. -Tyr

mundame
01-10-2018, 09:58 AM
I think the FBI Director is a threat to public safety.

On the other hand, I am very conflicted over the whole issue of identification. There was a piece (Reuters? yes) yesterday on China now experimenting with tracking EVERYONE all the time with recognition software (not just facial -- shape, too), at least on the street. China is very concerned with revolution, as well they might be.

I am very concerned about violent crime. I have come to think that quick trial and fast execution for pretty much any crime that hurts people or takes their stuff is actually the solution to the crime problem, because then the criminals would be gone. I'm not interested in deterrence. But being able to catch criminals is a next best step and a good precursor ----- I'm for DNA cataloging at birth. Then 24 years later, police could catch all the serial killers dismembering teenage girls. And all the other criminal creeps.

I do like the CCTV, which is not unlike the Chinese experiment.

But phones --- I don't know. Does it matter? EVERY thriller out in the last ten years has the characters using "burners" and taking out the batteries, throwing the phones in the drink, etc. The police and FBI can already find people by their phones: they just aren't supposed to. What they actually want is for it to be legally admissible in court, I suspect.

Gunny
01-10-2018, 10:04 AM
I think the FBI Director is a threat to public safety.

On the other hand, I am very conflicted over the whole issue of identification. There was a piece (Reuters? yes) yesterday on China now experimenting with tracking EVERYONE all the time with recognition software (not just facial -- shape, too), at least on the street. China is very concerned with revolution, as well they might be.

I am very concerned about violent crime. I have come to think that quick trial and fast execution for pretty much any crime that hurts people or takes their stuff is actually the solution to the crime problem, because then the criminals would be gone. I'm not interested in deterrence. But being able to catch criminals is a next best step and a good precursor ----- I'm for DNA cataloging at birth. Then 24 years later, police could catch all the serial killers dismembering teenage girls. And all the other criminal creeps.

I do like the CCTV, which is not unlike the Chinese experiment.

But phones --- I don't know. Does it matter? EVERY thriller out in the last ten years has the characters using "burners" and taking out the batteries, throwing the phones in the drink, etc. The police and FBI can already find people by their phones: they just aren't supposed to. What they actually want is for it to be legally admissible in court, I suspect.They want to forego the warrant. The phone provider does not have to comply with tracking orders without one.