PDA

View Full Version : Alaska part 2

jimnyc
01-13-2018, 01:05 PM
Gonna head out and see NT again, from March 1st to March 10th I believe. I can't wait!

Head out on snowmobiles (snow machine is just weird) to the cabin, how awesome is that? A fire, in the snow, outside the cabin, in the middle of nowhere. Now that's peace! Then snowmobile (I think?) it out to somewhere, where the Iditarod will start and mushers pass by and you get to watch. Apparently the goal is to build a bon fire and pass out beers to the willing mushers. I can see how that may get expensive if they are thirsty!!

The more snowmobile fun while I'm there, hopefully. Get a shit ton of more pictures, and hopefully still see a fair amount of wildlife in the winter.

Not sure if the wifey will be able to make it or not, I hope she does. If not, then I may spoil myself and take first class! I never flew first class before. Maybe at least a portion of the various flights anyway. :)

I always picture 10 feet of snow and -10 temps when I think of Alaska in the winter. But NT said you could probably ride the machines in a t-shirt at that time. I'll believe it when I see it!! NT's 5 degrees in the winter is probably warm to him! LOL

Black Diamond
01-13-2018, 01:13 PM
Second trip to Seward's icebox?

GravyBoat
01-13-2018, 01:27 PM
Be sure to pack an extra pair of clean underwear, because if you come across a polar bear you're gonna need them.

NightTrain
01-13-2018, 04:44 PM
Be sure to pack an extra pair of clean underwear, because if you come across a polar bear you're gonna need them.

There's no polar bears anywhere close to that part of Alaska.

Gunny
01-13-2018, 04:49 PM
There's no polar bears anywhere close to that part of Alaska.You sure? Last I heard one was stalking Jimbob. He may be just biding his time :laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-13-2018, 05:32 PM

And even if there were, we all know you can take care of business.

NightTrain
01-13-2018, 07:28 PM
You sure? Last I heard one was stalking Jimbob. He may be just biding his time :laugh:

That was a Griz, and he was interested in Jim because I had him stand out next to the river holding a package of bacon.

Gunny
01-13-2018, 07:40 PM
That was a Griz, and he was interested in Jim because I had him stand out next to the river holding a package of bacon.:laugh2:

jimnyc
01-14-2018, 08:24 AM

You sure? Last I heard one was stalking Jimbob. He may be just biding his time :laugh:

And even if there were, we all know you can take care of business.

That was a Griz, and he was interested in Jim because I had him stand out next to the river holding a package of bacon.

There may be no polar bears there, but there are sure as hell big ass brown and black bears! And Eagles big enough to kill you.

But Rick's gun made me feel better. You could probably throw the ammo at something and kill it.! Lemme see if I can find what it looked like...

This maybe? https://i.imgur.com/MpZNOKI.jpg

There were a few shotguns, a few rifles, and a handgun that would knock me back 30 feet if I shot it. Even Dirty Harry would have ran from that sucker!

I was down by the river a few times by myself. And once I thought, and kinda slowly turned around and went back to the cabin area.

Then one day Rick was talking about the musty smell, and how he could smell a bear wasn't far off. I woke the next morning and needed to use the outhouse at like 6am. You should have saw me slowly going there and looking around, and how fast I got back to the cabin when done! I had no damn gun!!

I think I may be a little safer this time, hopefully all but those white polar bastards should be hibernating? I hope a real hungry one doesn't wake up with my luck!

AND - I'm really really really thinking of coming home as owner of an official Alaskan Husky!!

jimnyc
01-14-2018, 10:37 AM
I just went to stop & shop to get some things I need. All that entailed was taking the truck which is in the garage, a place 2 minutes away, walk 30 seconds to door - repeat process to get home.

Well, I nearly froze my little eggs off! :laugh: It says it's 16 degrees out, but the air is speaking to me in a different language.

So that'll only ensure I show up at NT's place looking like a 7 layered idiot! LOL

Abbey Marie
01-14-2018, 10:39 AM
I'm so jealous. :(

jimnyc
01-14-2018, 10:47 AM
I'm so jealous. :(

Do you like to be extremely cold at times? Perhaps extreme peace being in the middle of nowhere? Adventures in the snow and wild? Seeing places you will NEVER see likely again, and others may NEVER get to experience, due to locations?

Well, NT wants us all to have a get together there. Don't be jealous, make it happen!!!

Abbey Marie
01-14-2018, 11:01 AM
Do you like to be extremely cold at times? Perhaps extreme peace being in the middle of nowhere? Adventures in the snow and wild? Seeing places you will NEVER see likely again, and others may NEVER get to experience, due to locations?

Well, NT wants us all to have a get together there. Don't be jealous, make it happen!!!

Yes to most of that! I don't think I'm physically up to some of this. For example, my cardiologist warned me not to be out in very cold temps for long. Apparently it stresses the heart.
But I'd be OK with stoking the fire and having a drink until you all get back, lol.

I would HAVE to see some wildlife, though!!

jimnyc
01-14-2018, 11:11 AM
Yes to most of that! I don't think I'm physically up to some of this. For example, my cardiologist warned me not to be out in very cold temps for long. Apparently it stresses the heart.
But I'd be OK with stoking the fire and having a drink until you all get back, lol.

I'm hoping to spend a bit of time by fires this go 'round, stay warm but still be outside.

But I'm also an idiot, and I love to play around on machines! I absolutely had a blast on his 4-wheelers, but couldn't go all out when they don't belong to me, just for transportation but still a blast! But snow mobiles will be different for me, only rode one once when I was a kid! He'll, I'll take the quad out on the snow and ice and have a blast - till I crash or dump it and myself in the water, or have a bear swat my head off when I go by.

Oh, and MUCH more alcohol I will buy once I get there for all of us and the trip. Rick had plenty, and then the bastards pretty much drank it all the first night there! The night I was exhausted and went to bed on time, like 10pm, which was 2am my time. But I still had a couple beers the day I got my salmon. This time I'll buy 4-6 cases and ensure we have enough. :) Gotta get a couple of cases of the cheap crap too - gonna pass off the premium to the mushers? They need their sensibilities in order to protect my doggy friends, they get the crap. :)

Black Diamond
01-14-2018, 11:29 AM
Glad you have the chance to go again.

NightTrain
01-14-2018, 02:52 PM

Pack your bags, Toots! And tell Russ to start growing his beard out so that he looks like a Sourdough.

We've got extra sleds for everyone and the temps in March are 30s and 40s during the day.

And I can guarantee that you'll see dozens of moose... they're everywhere that time of year when we're out cruising on the snowmachines.

Abbey Marie
01-14-2018, 03:31 PM
Pack your bags, Toots! And tell Russ to start growing his beard out so that he looks like a Sourdough.

We've got extra sleds for everyone and the temps in March are 30s and 40s during the day.

And I can guarantee that you'll see dozens of moose... they're everywhere that time of year when we're out cruising on the snowmachines.

You're killing me!

GravyBoat
01-14-2018, 03:38 PM
It's so cold here you just say "ice" into your glass of pop and it's ready to drink.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=11165&stc=1

NightTrain
01-14-2018, 06:35 PM
But Rick's gun made me feel better. You could probably throw the ammo at something and kill it.! Lemme see if I can find what it looked like...

This maybe? https://i.imgur.com/MpZNOKI.jpg

Yep, that's it exactly. Pretty fun to shoot, too!