PDA

View Full Version : How Many Heart Attacks Because of This?

Kathianne
01-13-2018, 04:39 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/13/politics/hawaii-missile-threat-false-alarm/index.html

Missile threat alert for Hawaii a false alarmZachary Cohen
By Zachary Cohen, CNN

Updated 4:36 PM ET, Sat January 13, 2018

Washington (CNN)An emergency alert notification sent out on Saturday claiming a "ballistic missile threat inbound to Hawaii" was a false alarm, according to state leaders and emergency officials.

"BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL," the emergency alert read.
While the message caused concern on social media, the Hawaii Office of Emergency Management quickly responded on Twitter, saying, "NO missile threat to Hawaii."

Black Diamond
01-13-2018, 04:58 PM
Too many. Pearl Harbor II they may have thought.

LongTermGuy
01-13-2018, 05:00 PM
Hawaii > "state run" < early warning siren system ....Maybe the good Liberals there would appreciate Mr Trump a bit more about the dangers and real threats of the real world... and forget about the cum-by-ya..buy the world a coke thing....I doubt it...:salute:

http://dod.hawaii.gov/hiema/wp-content/themes/hic_state_template_parent/timthumb/timthumb.php?src=/blogs.dir/13/files/2017/10/Screenshot-2017-10-18-13.18.55.png&h=319&w=638&q=100

http://dod.hawaii.gov/hiema/

Kathianne
01-13-2018, 06:28 PM
posts to derail/answer have been moved to cage.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-13-2018, 07:05 PM
For some reason, I think this was deliberate. Can't wait to hear what comes out about this in days to come.

Gunny
01-13-2018, 07:45 PM
The question is: How many people will it kill in the future when they ignore and/or lollygag next time and it happens to be for real?

I remember all those drills from school and on base in the 60s. Nobody had a sense of urgency. We had a bomb scare at the Navy Annex in DC when I was there and if it'd been a real bomb we'd be dead. to put it in perspective, the Navy Annex is where Headquarters USMC and Chief of Naval Operations was at the time. There'd have been a SERIOUS command problem in BOTH branches temporarily had that been real. "Temporarily" is enough time to strike an already hurt enemy and make it WAY worse.

High_Plains_Drifter
01-13-2018, 07:51 PM
The question is: How many people will it kill in the future when they ignore and/or lollygag next time and it happens to be for real?

I remember all those drills from school and on base in the 60s. Nobody had a sense of urgency. We had a bomb scare at the Navy Annex in DC when I was there and if it'd been a real bomb we'd be dead. to put it in perspective, the Navy Annex is where Headquarters USMC and Chief of Naval Operations was at the time. There'd have been a SERIOUS command problem in BOTH branches temporarily had that been real. "Temporarily" is enough time to strike an already hurt enemy and make it WAY worse.
Yeah I remember the drills when I was a little youngster in grade school in Dubuque, IA. We'd have to "duck and cover," which in the classroom they had us get under our desks.

pete311
01-13-2018, 08:00 PM
Pretty crazy. I'd be straight flipping out thinking it's the big one!

Gunny
01-13-2018, 08:31 PM
Pretty crazy. I'd be straight flipping out thinking it's the big one!:laugh:

Gunny
01-13-2018, 08:33 PM
I would have 10 or so minutes to mind screw myself over the fact I really had absolutely nothing to do :smoke:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-13-2018, 09:03 PM
Pretty crazy. I'd be straight flipping out thinking it's the big one!
IDK... I'd have probably been thinking, well, this is probably a missile from the little nut job rocket man, so there's no telling if the missile will break up when it starts coming down, or if it'll even hit anywhere near me, it could land a few hundred miles away out in the ocean, or more. I'd think my chances of living were probably pretty good.

Bilgerat
01-13-2018, 09:09 PM
I heard some whining Democrat screaming that the POTUS wasn't acting fast enough.

Gunny
01-13-2018, 09:32 PM
IDK... I'd have probably been thinking, well, this is probably a missile from the little nut job rocket man, so there's no telling if the missile will break up when it starts coming down, or if it'll even hit anywhere near me, it could land a few hundred miles away out in the ocean, or more. I'd think my chances of living were probably pretty good.One flaw to that theory: the technology is not his. It's already proven. All he's really doing is OJT on practical app.

Never underestimare your enemy. Hitler was an unhinged idiot too. It eventually brought about his down fall. But how many people died in the meantime?

aboutime
01-13-2018, 09:37 PM
If I heard those sirens/warnings. I would have a lot of trouble trying to bend over, and kiss my butt GOODBYE!
Not to make light of this, but like many of you. I was in elementary school in the 50's, and I still remember having the assignment of PULLING DOWN THE SHADES on the windows to prevent flying glass from hitting all of us....UNDER OUR DESKS.

The last time I heard that kind of siren was in Saudi, while in the Fleet Hospital #5...in the sand.
The night Saddam decided to send his SCUDS over us.

The siren in Saudi was long, and lower.
Here is Hawaii...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-dF6xvkr50

Gunny
01-13-2018, 10:38 PM
I was just thinking AT ... you're lucky you didn't get blown up. Saddam hit everything except what he was aiming at :laugh:

aboutime
01-13-2018, 10:52 PM
I was just thinking AT ... you're lucky you didn't get blown up. Saddam hit everything except what he was aiming at :laugh:

Yeah. I know. To this day, I can't stand to hear sirens like that, and if I hear those Muslim prayers in a movie, or on tv....the one's you hear every 5 hours with some tone deaf singing nut job broadcasting everywhere. It reminds me of being over there again.
That night with the SCUDS, I had my gas mask from the ship. They made me carry it to the hospital in Riyadh Saudi for the MRI. Thing was...after the ALL CLEAR. I found out I didn't have a CANISTER for the mask. So, if Saddam had been using GAS...I would have been a goner. Byebye.

Gunny
01-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Yeah. I know. To this day, I can't stand to hear sirens like that, and if I hear those Muslim prayers in a movie, or on tv....the one's you hear every 5 hours with some tone deaf singing nut job broadcasting everywhere. It reminds me of being over there again.
That night with the SCUDS, I had my gas mask from the ship. They made me carry it to the hospital in Riyadh Saudi for the MRI. Thing was...after the ALL CLEAR. I found out I didn't have a CANISTER for the mask. So, if Saddam had been using GAS...I would have been a goner. Byebye.You're supposed to check your filters :laugh2: The mask works better that way :laugh2:

Gunny
01-13-2018, 11:23 PM
I wasn't going to mention this -- still laughing about the gas mask :laugh: -- We would sit in the hangar deck of the Okinawa and try to figure out how close the ship would have to get to Kuwait City to shoot that f-n prayer dude. That was torture. :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-13-2018, 11:39 PM
One flaw to that theory: the technology is not his. It's already proven. All he's really doing is OJT on practical app.

Never underestimare your enemy. Hitler was an unhinged idiot too. It eventually brought about his down fall. But how many people died in the meantime?
He doesn't have all the technology though either. We don't think he can really tip a missile with a nuke yet, and we don't believe he has the technology for any sort of accurate rocket reentry trajectory. I was listening to a program on the radio just a day or two ago about what we know he can do, and it really isn't much when it comes right down to it. We are guessing he might be further along here and there but have seen no proof of it.

But the Germans, now there was some truly genius people. They not only had practically unlimited resources but money as well, granted most of it was pillaged from conquered lands, but had Hitler not invaded Russia, he damn sure might have never lost a war. He over extended himself was what brought the Nazis down, not a lack of technology. They had some of the most sophisticated weapons known to man at the time, they were brilliant. Hitler was a moron. He never learned to listen to his generals. Pie faced Kimmy and NOKO isn't even in the same ball park with the Nazi Germany Third Reich.

GravyBoat
01-14-2018, 08:25 AM
In nine months I predict 100,000 new Hawaiians the result of panic sex.

:dance:

Kathianne
01-14-2018, 08:29 AM
Jim has asked repeatedly to stop derailing threads and to not attack others. If someone feels that others are not respecting them, let us know. In the meantime threadbans will be used, since removing posts appears not to be working.

mundame
01-14-2018, 08:34 AM
For some reason, I think this was deliberate. Can't wait to hear what comes out about this in days to come.

I also think it was deliberate and may have been sabotage. Officialdom ALWAYS say whatever it was was an accident until driven off that position days later. Like when Trump's account was mysteriously kicked off Twitter --- accident. Of course it wasn't -- it was one guy who thought he'd have some fun on his last day.

They said it happened on a "shift change" which implies they don't know who did it? Shift change sounds like enough confusion for someone to slip in and panic the State of Hawaii and see what happens.

I think we should not allow officials to send out these pointless alerts. So ballistic nuclear missiles are headed for Hawaii ---- what should they do, really? Crouch under their desks? Don't panic people. Stop the alert system.

We have one in my county where the "Emergency Management Team" calls everyone by robocalls and for a time they were calling constantly: warning, warning, it might rain. The new (Republican) county administration stopped most of that. I think this sort of system is basically a bad idea. Am I wrong?

mundame
01-14-2018, 08:44 AM
I would have 10 or so minutes to mind screw myself over the fact I really had absolutely nothing to do :smoke:

That's the thing! Why panic people when there is nothing at all they can do about it? And it might miss, run out of steam, be shot down ------------ or be a false alarm for sabotage.

The alert system in this county is used to tell people to keep away from an area of black rioting and shooting, maybe that's all right, but frankly, who would go there at all? Other blacks, maybe, but trust me, nobody else EVER goes in that area. Or even near it. (And I used to buy hay over there and ride a horse through the woods that are gone now...... but never mind. Progress is not always good.)

The worst use they ever put the system to was on a Christmas Eve when they sent out a call to the whole county, saying for God's sake don't anybody else go to a certain shopping area in a cull de sac which had gotten gridlocked. This caused the Walmart there to start a three-year project to relocate into a more open area near a scenic town which the whole county had to fight (we won, finally) but it could have been avoided by not making that stupid call on the emergency system. Police directing people not to enter that area would have been enough to clear it eventually.

I'm no fan of these emergency alerts. They are misused and just a way for pols to promote themselves and try to show people how important they are.

Gunny
01-14-2018, 11:47 AM
That's the thing! Why panic people when there is nothing at all they can do about it? And it might miss, run out of steam, be shot down ------------ or be a false alarm for sabotage.

The alert system in this county is used to tell people to keep away from an area of black rioting and shooting, maybe that's all right, but frankly, who would go there at all? Other blacks, maybe, but trust me, nobody else EVER goes in that area. Or even near it. (And I used to buy hay over there and ride a horse through the woods that are gone now...... but never mind. Progress is not always good.)

The worst use they ever put the system to was on a Christmas Eve when they sent out a call to the whole county, saying for God's sake don't anybody else go to a certain shopping area in a cull de sac which had gotten gridlocked. This caused the Walmart there to start a three-year project to relocate into a more open area near a scenic town which the whole county had to fight (we won, finally) but it could have been avoided by not making that stupid call on the emergency system. Police directing people not to enter that area would have been enough to clear it eventually.

I'm no fan of these emergency alerts. They are misused and just a way for pols to promote themselves and try to show people how important they are.Because I WANT my 10, stress-free minutes to just ponder that I have absolutely ZERO responsibilities. Don't have to run. Shave. No more dishes. Kitty litter boxes. Making the bed. I can just sit there for my little 10 minutes of time and not do crap, nor stress about having it to do.

I'll tell the grandmonsters they have 10 minutes to completely destroy the entire house. I won't have to help clean up.

And don't try and ruin my little dram with that "false alarm" crap. Then I'd be back where I started :)

mundame
01-14-2018, 12:31 PM
Because I WANT my 10, stress-free minutes to just ponder that I have absolutely ZERO responsibilities. Don't have to run. Shave. No more dishes. Kitty litter boxes. Making the bed. I can just sit there for my little 10 minutes of time and not do crap, nor stress about having it to do.

I'll tell the grandmonsters they have 10 minutes to completely destroy the entire house. I won't have to help clean up.

And don't try and ruin my little dram with that "false alarm" crap. Then I'd be back where I started :)

In Hawaii you'd have had 38 minutes of peace and quiet to contemplate mortality.......;)

In that amount of time I imagine everybody in the state heard that it was time to die.

aboutime
01-14-2018, 09:24 PM
You're supposed to check your filters :laugh2: The mask works better that way :laugh2:

That took one of my NINE lives away. I forgot about that. As for the filters. They were there, just no canister. There were a few different kinds of masks issued, depending on where you were gonna be. You probably had the mask with the entire SUIT Gunny.
Besides. I was on pain drugs, suffering from not being able to feel anything on my entire left side. But the hair on my left arm hurt really bad...just from touching it. Navy doc on the ship gave me a cortesone shot above my left shoulder before they evac'd me off the ship. Had pain, but couldn't feel anything from bottom of my foot, to my left shoulder.
2 days later. I was on the USNS MERCY, under the knife on my spine.

Gunny
01-14-2018, 09:36 PM
That took one of my NINE lives away. I forgot about that. As for the filters. They were there, just no canister. There were a few different kinds of masks issued, depending on where you were gonna be. You probably had the mask with the entire SUIT Gunny.
Besides. I was on pain drugs, suffering from not being able to feel anything on my entire left side. But the hair on my left arm hurt really bad...just from touching it. Navy doc on the ship gave me a cortesone shot above my left shoulder before they evac'd me off the ship. Had pain, but couldn't feel anything from bottom of my foot, to my left shoulder.
2 days later. I was on the USNS MERCY, under the knife on my spine.Yeah, we were in MOPP 3. That whole "suit" is like putting yourself in a baggie and sitting in the sand. We took more heat casualties than from combat. It is, as a matter of fact, where this craze for having a plastic bottle of water attached to your hand came from. Prior to the Gulf War, people just drank out of the tap or in our case where the water was undrinkable in San Diego, we had like a Culligan Man. I think Evian water bottles was the French "contribution" to the coalition. Knuckleheads at home say us with Evian bottles on TV and by the time we got home every civilian and his brother acted like they invented it and had never drank water any other way. Anyway, we were WAY short on water and food at first. Two MRE's a day.

Did they send you to Riyadh for the MRI then back to the ship for surgery? That doesn't sound real genius, especially with a spinal injury.

Black Diamond
01-14-2018, 09:45 PM
Is Pearl Harbor on any of those folks in Hawaii psyches at all ?

aboutime
01-14-2018, 09:51 PM
Yeah, we were in MOPP 3. That whole "suit" is like putting yourself in a baggie and sitting in the sand. We took more heat casualties than from combat. It is, as a matter of fact, where this craze for having a plastic bottle of water attached to your hand came from. Prior to the Gulf War, people just drank out of the tap or in our case where the water was undrinkable in San Diego, we had like a Culligan Man. I think Evian water bottles was the French "contribution" to the coalition. Knuckleheads at home say us with Evian bottles on TV and by the time we got home every civilian and his brother acted like they invented it and had never drank water any other way. Anyway, we were WAY short on water and food at first. Two MRE's a day.

Did they send you to Riyadh for the MRI then back to the ship for surgery? That doesn't sound real genius, especially with a spinal injury.

Yep. I was evac'd from the USS Nassau into Dubai, then taken by a lovely green navy ambulance to Bahrain where the ship was due to arrive. So, my ship's doc rode with me all the way to Riyadh in that bumpy ambulance for the MRI. The hospital was Out of this World. I never saw so much GOLD everywhere. They gave me an Apple...that was lunch, and then, when the doc got the results. We headed back to Bahrain, and I went aboard the Mercy. Had my surgery...AT SEA in the Persian Gulf. Couldn't walk by myself for 3 days as I healed.
Day six, flew off the Mercy, back to Bahrain, and two weeks after that in a MASH. They loaded us on a C-141, and we stopped in England for 4 days before another C-141 flew us back to the states. Landed at Langley AFB outside of Washington. We got to see President Bush..Senior before we were put on C-9's, set up for medivac, and got back to Norfolk, where my wife, and son's all met me in the same day RODNEY KING got beat up in L.A.

Taco Junkie
01-15-2018, 11:04 AM
Did anybody notice the scapegoat, Vern Miyagi, is an imposter? C'mon people, wake up. This is Mr. Miyagi
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/thekaratekid/images/6/63/Unknown-1.jpeg/revision/latest?cb=20130703172638

Proof that it was definitely a setup. :cool:

Gunny
01-15-2018, 11:09 AM
Yep. I was evac'd from the USS Nassau into Dubai, then taken by a lovely green navy ambulance to Bahrain where the ship was due to arrive. So, my ship's doc rode with me all the way to Riyadh in that bumpy ambulance for the MRI. The hospital was Out of this World. I never saw so much GOLD everywhere. They gave me an Apple...that was lunch, and then, when the doc got the results. We headed back to Bahrain, and I went aboard the Mercy. Had my surgery...AT SEA in the Persian Gulf. Couldn't walk by myself for 3 days as I healed.
Day six, flew off the Mercy, back to Bahrain, and two weeks after that in a MASH. They loaded us on a C-141, and we stopped in England for 4 days before another C-141 flew us back to the states. Landed at Langley AFB outside of Washington. We got to see President Bush..Senior before we were put on C-9's, set up for medivac, and got back to Norfolk, where my wife, and son's all met me in the same day RODNEY KING got beat up in L.A.Wow. And I thought deployment sucked. Was bad enough without all that "extra" entertainment. Think I'm glad now I just rode back on the ship :laugh:

I couldn't stand Dubai. Only place in the Sandbox I ever went on liberty. BAD decision. We got on a bus for Abu Dabai and the first thing I noticed was the perimeter security was two layers. Next thing I noticed is there was ZERO cover between us and the town. Not even a large rock. Sitting ducks for an RPG. Needless to say my head was on a swivel to and from. The squids I was with gave me crap for being so wired on a bus at least halfway back to HI :laugh: That was also my LAST liberty trip off the compound in Ragheadland. If I couldn't bring my weapons, I didn't go. Beer on the Pier in the shadow of the ship, that was me :laugh:

High_Plains_Drifter
01-15-2018, 12:36 PM
Well isn't that interesting... been listening to Rush and he doesn't believe it was an "accident" either, but since you probably can't find more than 5 conservatives in Hawaii, we'll probably never be told the truth. But the person responsible for this has just been "reassigned"... really... that's all?

Think about that, and if it's SOOOO EASY to just HIT A WRONG BUTTON and send out this warning, then why hasn't it happened BEFORE?

mundame
01-15-2018, 03:29 PM
Because I WANT my 10, stress-free minutes to just ponder that I have absolutely ZERO responsibilities. Don't have to run. Shave. No more dishes. Kitty litter boxes. Making the bed. I can just sit there for my little 10 minutes of time and not do crap, nor stress about having it to do.

I just wanted to say I think this is the most profound post I've read about this incident on two lists, and it has really started me thinking. I liked it a lot.