PDA

View Full Version : Xd card issues?

jackass
08-14-2007, 06:26 PM
I know this could go in the computer section but I wanted to ask here first. My wife had some pics on her xd card. After putting it into the computer, it seems to have some trouble pulling the pics up. She cant see them if she puts it back into the camera either. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

jimnyc
08-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Have you guys ever been able to put the card into the computer and transfer pictures before? Although the card doesn't show the pictures on the camera, can you still take new pictures and store them on the card? I'm just hoping the card isn't damaged!

Also, what program do you use to transfer the pictures, or do you just use "My Computer" and browse the card as a drive? If a program, make sure the program isn't set to delete the pictures from the camera after transfer!

Hold on for better advice from the camera experts though!

nevadamedic
08-14-2007, 07:08 PM
I know this could go in the computer section but I wanted to ask here first. My wife had some pics on her xd card. After putting it into the computer, it seems to have some trouble pulling the pics up. She cant see them if she puts it back into the camera either. Any suggestions? Thanks!!

WHen I worked at Best Buy back in the day we had nothing but problems with the XD cards, most were exactly what you are saying and also for some reason they wouldn't save pictures on them. Do you have an external or internal reader for your computer? Can your camera take any other type of memory card? You can go up to Best Buy and say you bought the card there(even if you didn't) and say that you cant pull the pictures up and they can do it for you if they are on the card.

jackass
08-14-2007, 08:42 PM
Have you guys ever been able to put the card into the computer and transfer pictures before? Although the card doesn't show the pictures on the camera, can you still take new pictures and store them on the card? I'm just hoping the card isn't damaged!

Also, what program do you use to transfer the pictures, or do you just use "My Computer" and browse the card as a drive? If a program, make sure the program isn't set to delete the pictures from the camera after transfer!

Hold on for better advice from the camera experts though!
We have used the card many times before. I could take new pics but I think I would have to format it again.
When the camera is pwered on...it immediately gives a card error screen. When we go through My computer, it says it needs to be formatted.

WHen I worked at Best Buy back in the day we had nothing but problems with the XD cards, most were exactly what you are saying and also for some reason they wouldn't save pictures on them. Do you have an external or internal reader for your computer? Can your camera take any other type of memory card? You can go up to Best Buy and say you bought the card there(even if you didn't) and say that you cant pull the pictures up and they can do it for you if they are on the card.
My wife went to Walmart to see if their machine would get it but no luck. Whatever program she uses also says the card needs to be formatted.

Jon
08-15-2007, 04:30 AM
We have used the card many times before. I could take new pics but I think I would have to format it again.
When the camera is pwered on...it immediately gives a card error screen. When we go through My computer, it says it needs to be formatted.

My wife went to Walmart to see if their machine would get it but no luck. Whatever program she uses also says the card needs to be formatted.

It sounds like the card has become corrupted. If you have pictures on the card that you would like to save, you can use photo recovery software:

http://www.google.com/search?q=photo+recovery+software&sourceid=mozilla-search&start=0&start=0&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

I'm not endorsing any of the software in that link as I haven't used it. the one time I had a card go corrupt, I used a combination of defrag and chkdsk to recover the files manually.

If you don't want to save the images on the card, simply format it and it should be as good as new.

jackass
08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
I do want the pics. Thanks Jon. I will let you know it works! :beer: