PDA

View Full Version : Julius Erving complilation

Russ
01-16-2018, 09:11 PM
Just thought I'd post this video compilation of Julius "Dr. J" Erving, my favorite sports figure, and the only "hero" from my member interview that's still alive. I thought of him because he got rushed to the hospital the other day. (but is okay now)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DebtVv87jDc

I recall Daryl Dawkins and Lloyd Free talking about him in an interview. The Sixers had just lost the NBA Finals to the Portland Trailblazers, and he told them after the final game "Come on, we're going to go over the the Trailblazer locker room". Dawkins and Free said "why the hell would we do that?" and Julius answered "to congratulate them". I can tell you that both Dawkins and Free were great players but neither was the kind to agree to do that in a million years. But in the interview they said "We don't know how it happened, but we found ourselves going over there with Julius to congratulate them." Such was the respect that Julius inspired in the people around him.

I'm trying to think of which sports figures nowadays would have the inclination to act classy like that after a big loss. And also which of them would command enough respect from their teammates to convince them to go with them. Just wondering.

Gunny
01-16-2018, 09:16 PM
You get rep if it's good. I am a TOTAL Dr J mark. People would laugh when I finger-rolled my layups but guess where I learned it? :)

Gunny
01-16-2018, 09:25 PM
The last part mentioned about losing to the Blazers and congratulating them. Compared to the Pistons when they lost to the Bulls. Dr J was total class. He probably more than any is the perfect example of what "setting an example for our youth" should look like.

Elessar
01-16-2018, 10:00 PM
The last part mentioned about losing to the Blazers and congratulating them. Compared to the Pistons when they lost to the Bulls. Dr J was total class. He probably more than any is the perfect example of what "setting an example for our youth" should look like.

Wilt Chamberlian and Kareem had the best finger-roll shots!

Dr. J not bad though.

Gunny
01-16-2018, 10:09 PM
Wilt Chamberlian and Kareem had the best finger-roll shots!

Dr. J not bad though.George Gervin. The "Iceman".

Lakers are DQ'd from any and all praise, thankyouverymuch. And it's not a finger roll when you're so damned tall you're just dropping the ball into the net.:laugh:

Elessar
01-16-2018, 10:23 PM
George Gervin. The "Iceman".

Lakers are DQ'd from any and all praise, thankyouverymuch. And it's not a finger roll when you're so damned tall you're just dropping the ball into the net.:laugh:

Had a 6'4 guard in college that could leap it and hang off the backboard!
Finger roll?
Stuffed a 6'10's jump shot onto his head...Harvey Charmichale...All american candidate

High_Plains_Drifter
01-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Have to do this... "bump."

darin
01-17-2018, 06:41 AM
Reminds me of Shawn Kemp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHb875YbbrA

Gunny
01-17-2018, 11:17 PM
I never like Shawn Kemp. I loved playing basketball though. Think those days are over though. ALTHOUGH ...:laugh: .... the ex sent the grandkids a basketball goal for some unknown reason. We're talking 5 and 9 years old girls here, about as interested in b-ball as I am hockey. Daughter already told me no :(

I don't post much about it because no one ever seems interested. Always been a huge Spurs fan. Greg Popovich is ruining that with his big-ass mouth. Same rule applies to him as the NFL ... coach the team. When I want to hear from you, it's why and or how we won or lost. NOT what your dumb ass thinks of Trump.

darin
01-18-2018, 01:13 AM
I never like Shawn Kemp. I loved playing basketball though. Think those days are over though. ALTHOUGH ...:laugh: .... the ex sent the grandkids a basketball goal for some unknown reason. We're talking 5 and 9 years old girls here, about as interested in b-ball as I am hockey. Daughter already told me no :(

I don't post much about it because no one ever seems interested. Always been a huge Spurs fan. Greg Popovich is ruining that with his big-ass mouth. Same rule applies to him as the NFL ... coach the team. When I want to hear from you, it's why and or how we won or lost. NOT what your dumb ass thinks of Trump.

wth? Kemp was a monster - apart from making babies with women, the guy was solid on the court and seemingly a good guy, too!

Black Diamond
01-18-2018, 02:14 AM
wth? Kemp was a monster - apart from making babies with women, the guy was solid on the court and seemingly a good guy, too!
Long as he kept his weight under 350

Gunny
01-18-2018, 08:34 AM
wth? Kemp was a monster - apart from making babies with women, the guy was solid on the court and seemingly a good guy, too!I'm a Spurs fan? He played for Seattle.

Truthfully, I don't remember why I didn't like him. Geez, I was still playing basketball when he played :laugh:

Black Diamond
01-18-2018, 08:46 AM
I'm a Spurs fan? He played for Seattle.

Truthfully, I don't remember why I didn't like him. Geez, I was still playing basketball when he played :laugh:
Think he may have been the first to come right out of high school.

Gunny
01-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Think he may have been the first to come right out of high school.Nope. Daryl Dawkins was drafted right out of a Miami HS. by Philadelphia. He never panned out and conjecture is because he lacked the maturity gained on the court in college.

Black Diamond
01-18-2018, 09:07 AM
Nope. Daryl Dawkins was drafted right out of a Miami HS. by Philadelphia. He never panned out and conjecture is because he lacked the maturity gained on the court in college.
Too many broken backboards. :). Thought his wife's death ruined him???

Gunny
01-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Too many broken backboards. :). Thought his wife's death ruined him???I forgot about the backboards. I thought it was funny at the time. One he did on purpose because a ref made a bad call and pissed him off.

I don't know about his wife. Once Dr J retired and I moved from Miami and was stationed on the West Coast I lost track of the Sixers. I think he played in Europe after he left the NBA.

Russ
01-18-2018, 06:52 PM
Nope. Daryl Dawkins was drafted right out of a Miami HS. by Philadelphia. He never panned out and conjecture is because he lacked the maturity gained on the court in college.

I remember Daryl coming right out of high school. He might have been the first, but my guess would have been Moses Malone. I'll have to look that one up.

I wouldn't say that Daryl Dawkins never panned out - he was a pretty good player for a number of years. I would agree, though, that he was never the great player he could have been if he had applied himself more and had more maturity.

Shawn Kemp was the inverse of Dawkins. Shawn was great for about 2 or 3 years, but then ate himself into... not a shell of himself, more like a Michelin-Man version of himself.

Kemp and Dawkins both could have been All-Time Greats if they had applied themselves more.

By the way, Gunny, if we ever meet I challenge you to a game of one-on-one. :cool: :salute:

Russ
01-18-2018, 06:56 PM
Just checked it - Moses beat Daryl by one year, although some guy named Reggie Harding was drafted out of high school before both of them, although Reggie couldn't go directly into the NBA at the time because of rules against it.

Gunny
01-18-2018, 07:48 PM
I remember Daryl coming right out of high school. He might have been the first, but my guess would have been Moses Malone. I'll have to look that one up.

I wouldn't say that Daryl Dawkins never panned out - he was a pretty good player for a number of years. I would agree, though, that he was never the great player he could have been if he had applied himself more and had more maturity.

Shawn Kemp was the inverse of Dawkins. Shawn was great for about 2 or 3 years, but then ate himself into... not a shell of himself, more like a Michelin-Man version of himself.

Kemp and Dawkins both could have been All-Time Greats if they had applied themselves more.

By the way, Gunny, if we ever meet I challenge you to a game of one-on-one. :cool: :salute:You may be right about Malone. I remember Dawkins because I was in HS in Miami when he got drafted. He lived up in Miami proper though. I lived in South Miami Heights about 40 miles south.

And yeah, that's what I meant about Dawkins ... he was never what was expected of him.

Here's the problem with playing one-on-one. I'd take the challenge because I'm brilliant like that. I think my vertical leap now is about 3". Maybe. :)

Russ
01-18-2018, 09:44 PM
Here's the problem with playing one-on-one. I'd take the challenge because I'm brilliant like that. I think my vertical leap now is about 3". Maybe. :)

Sweet! I love playing against guys with 3" vertical leaps! Bring it on, Gunny! :thumb:

Gunny
01-18-2018, 09:59 PM
Sweet! I love playing against guys with 3" vertical leaps! Bring it on, Gunny! :thumb:LOL. I bet. :laugh:

Gunny
01-18-2018, 10:00 PM
The sad truth is I would probably go out there with every intention of whoopin your ass and end up hurting myself and going to the emergency room:laugh:

Abbey Marie
01-19-2018, 08:58 AM
The sad truth is I would probably go out there with every intention of whoopin your ass and end up hurting myself and going to the emergency room:laugh:

Yeah, ask Russ about the outcome of his game of hoops earlier this month. ;)

Gunny
01-19-2018, 05:56 PM
Yeah, ask Russ about the outcome of his game of hoops earlier this month. ;) Abbey there are two, middle-aged guys out there right now playing basketball. I think I could take them 1-on-2 :laugh:

Russ
01-19-2018, 07:22 PM
@Abbey (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=11) there are two, middle-aged guys out there right now playing basketball. I think I could take them 1-on-2 :laugh:

Do it! :salute:

By the way - one more fun fact about Julius Erving - he's the only player to have his number retired while he was still playing. The Nets retired the number he had on their team during the last year he was playing with the Sixers. Michael Jordan kind of qualifies too - they retired his number after his first retirement, but then he unretired and used it again.

Gunny
01-19-2018, 07:35 PM
Do it! :salute:

By the way - one more fun fact about Julius Erving - he's the only player to have his number retired while he was still playing. The Nets retired the number he had on their team during the last year he was playing with the Sixers. Michael Jordan kind of qualifies too - they retired his number after his first retirement, but then he unretired and used it again.I didn't remember him playing for the Nets. SA was an ABA city. The Dallas Chapparals moved here and became the Spurs when the leagues merged. I remember him from playing the Chapparals when he was on the Squires. Next time I saw him he was in Philly.

Mi first basketball was an ABA ball. I thought orange b-balls were ugly. :laugh: